Need Homemade Dog Food Recipes

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 06:06 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
pinkflower66 has posted more than 100 good deals!pinkflower66 has posted more than 100 good deals!
Need homemade dog food recipes

Thinking of starting to make my own dog food. Have two dogs and my little Westie doesn't like can dog food. Both dogs like the dry food which I buy at Costco but they like something on the top that smells good. Thinking of making a large batch at once and put it into ziplock bags and freeze it. Would like to fine a healthy recipe for homemade dog food. Thanks
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 PM

RE: Need homemade dog food recipes

IHateDrama has posted more than 150 good deals!IHateDrama has posted more than 150 good deals!
Doggy cheddar muffins ....

Ingredients
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 cups Grated Cheddar Cheese
4 slices Bacon (cooked and crumbled)
1 cup Milk
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
2 eggs
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
In a large bowl mix flour and baking powder. Once well mixed add the grated cheddar cheese and bacon pieces and mix until well combined.
In a second bowl beat eggs then whisk in milk and vegetable oil. Pour wet mixture over flour mix and stir until well combined.
Fill greased or paper cup lined muffin tins about 1/3 full and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the center springs back when touched.
Allow to cool on a wire rack before serving, refrigerate.

Doggy Meatloaf

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
* 3 stalks celery, chopped
* 2 carrots, grated
* 1 apple, cored and diced
* 2 eggs
* 2 slices white bread, torn into pieces
* 1 cup regular rolled oats
* 1 cup wheat germ
* 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
* 4 medium potatoes, cubed
* 3 carrots, chopped
* 1 stalk celery, cubed

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a large roasting pan with oil and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, 3 stalks of celery, grated carrots, apple, eggs, bread, oats, wheat germ and tomato paste using your hands. Divide the meat mixture into four equal parts and make loaf shapes. Place the loaves in the roasting pan. Surround them with the potatoes, remaining carrots and remaining celery. Cover the pan with a lid.
3. Bake for 80 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the meat is cooked through. The internal temperature should be 175 degrees F (80 degrees C) when taken with a meat thermometer. Allow to cool.
4. Portion the food into containers with one loaf and one quarter of the vegetables in each one. Refrigerate. To serve, give your dog 1/3 of a container with each portion of kibble.

I've tried several dog food recipe's and these 2 seem to go over the best. It is important to still feed dry dog food so they get the nutrients from it.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:03 PM

RE: Need homemade dog food recipes

My Mood/Status:
pinkflower66 has posted more than 100 good deals!pinkflower66 has posted more than 100 good deals!
Thanks both recipes sounds good I will try them.

Last edited by pinkflower66; 01-13-2012 at 09:14 PM.