Spots On My Puppy, Help!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Happiness is...puppy kisses x2!

My Mood/Status:
StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Animals Spots on my puppy, help!

Post ended up longer than expected, sorry! Thanks for any input!

Background: We have two Frengle puppies (Frenchie dads and beagle moms). Murphy is almost 9 months old and Mocha is 3 months old.

Murphy has been fine since we got him in July up through when we got Mocha the day before Thanksgiving. They get along well and play well together. Basically inseparable. The same day we got Mocha DS came home for the holiday with his 3 year old Jack Russell/Daschund mix and his 10 week old frengle puppy (our Mocha was 7 weeks old then). All four dogs played well together, etc. DS was only home for 5 days then left with his two pups.

That following week I noticed a spot on Murphy's belly about the size of a quarter that is missing some hair and is sort of reddish and chafed. Not raw, bleeding or anything like that. It looked almost as though he had a bruise there and I thought is was possibly from playing rough with DS's olde dog, as they do get carried away sometimes! Murphy does not mess with the spot so I don't believe that it itches or is bothering him or that he even knows it's there.

Fast forward to Christmas. DS came home with his two canine babies and was home for about 8 days. He went home Sunday, New Year's Day. Monday I noticed another spot on Murph that looks very similar to the first, but it's sort of below his butt cheek (I know, I couldn't figure out how else to describe it, !) This one looks like maybe like a rope/leash burn, like maybe the leash got between his legs when they all went out to potty, and since taking four out on leashes is crazy I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Anyway, the only thought I could come up with was hot spots, but I googled that and it doesn't look anything like what he has. Any ideas? Suggestions? Should I just go ahead and take him to the vet?

Thanks so much for reading all this and any help!!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 PM

RE: Spots on my puppy, help!

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!
I have 4 dogs. 1 suffers from hot spots usually once a year. I'm not a vet but years ago worked at specialty vet clinic. When my GSD started having these problems they did not look like hot spots at all. He didn't even notice them. My poor baby Is allergic to fleas. I use flea prevention but if one jumps on him it starts. Without seeing a pic I can't say that it looks the same as beginning hot spots like on my gsd but it sounds like it from description. Also all dogs wont absolutely have same "look" with hot spots either. As far as I know your type isn't well known for hot spots but it can happen to any dog. I would suggest taking to vet just in case because if you don't treat it and it is hot spots it can really flare up severely out of no where and your pup will be very miserable. HTH
The Following User Says Thank You to AChiodini For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2012, 12:10 PM

AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!
Also if it is hot spots and even if it isn't severe yet I suggest asking your vet for prednisone "just in case" . That way if it happens again or becomes worse you have it to start the regimen. Just make sure you follow proper directions so pup doesn't get sick. It works wonders with severe cases.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Oh n just noticed Your name your my neighbor I'm in Arnold
Old 01-06-2012, 12:30 PM

My Mood/Status:
StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks!

Ha! We live in Oakville, but our inlaws live in Arnold. Thanks so much for the help, I think I'll take him later today when school is out and I get home!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 PM

Wow small world . And definitely better safe then sorry. If you can please update when you find out anything. Interested in hearing.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
AChiodini, I took your advice and made an appointment for tomorrow morning, the only one available today was at 5:00 and I have no intentions of going out on Grand at that time of day! I'll update tomorrow when we get back, and add a picture if I can figure out how to do it from my iPad as the desktop is down. Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:06 PM

That's great and ya I wouldn't venture anywhere around grand at 5 Especially since not emergency. And thanks I'm huge dog lover so always wanna know
Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 AM

My Mood/Status:
Just home from the vet with Murphy. We found out that he has Demodectic Mange, which is not contagious but is contracted from the mother (in all puppies) within the first few days of their life. Our vet almost missed the diagnosis (his words, not mine!) as there was only one dead mange mite in the scraping he took. I couldn't figure out how to post a picture with my iPad, but my best description is that it looks like a red bruise on his belly, and the other one closely resembles a rope or leash burn.

Murph was given an injection of Noromectrin and a six day round of antibiotics. He will have to receive a second injection in two weeks, then another one two weeks after that and that SHOULD take care of it!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:47 AM

Ah OK yep I know what That is. When gsd started with the hot spots It started showing up like your round spot not the leash burn looking one. I'm glad pup will be OK And least its not bothering him/her. Glad to hear!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM

Mad_Miller20 has posted more than 10 good deals
My dog has skin problems and suffered from Demodectic Mange as a puppy. My dog was given a special bath and antibiotics - not an injection. She still has sensitive skin and dander problems. I don't know if other people have had the same problem after their dog having mange though. Could be completely unrelated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad_Miller20 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 AM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChiodini View Post
Also if it is hot spots and even if it isn't severe yet I suggest asking your vet for prednisone "just in case" . That way if it happens again or becomes worse you have it to start the regimen. Just make sure you follow proper directions so pup doesn't get sick. It works wonders with severe cases.
I would look into diet/lifestyle changes or into finding an answer before keeping prednisone around. Mange, ringworm and allergic reactions are very common in dogs. Many dogs are sensitive to corn/wheat in their diet and can have hair loss, rough patches, etc. Ringworm is very typical in all dogs, especially puppies and can basically "live" in porous surfaces and resurface at inoportune times. Prednisone is not a fix to many problems it's simply a mask to what the problem is and is VERY HARD on a dog. There are quite a few side effects from the frequent or prolonged use of prednisone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM

My Mood/Status:
UPDATE: I wanted to update the thread as I just realized others may be having the same issue with their pups.

Murphy finished his round of antibiotics and is due to go back to the vet tomorrow for his second of the three shots. He looks great! The spot that the vet "scraped" is healed over and the redness is gone. The hair is starting to come back in. The spot on his hiney is no longer red and hair is returning there as well. The other two spots that were just barely starting the day he went to the vet have disappeared completely! I'm thinking that when we go tomorrow I will se if he does indeed need to have all three shots or if the one he already had is sufficient. I'm not sure how they work, if it requires a series of three to be complete or if that's just the standard dosage. I'll keep you updated!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:03 AM

Getting settled in my new house!

My Mood/Status:
armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Glad your "baby" is better!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SAHM to DS(7)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and DS(5)

The Following User Says Thank You to armywife80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 PM

My Mood/Status:
Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 AM

My Mood/Status:
Hi all! Just a final update on Murphy....he had the last of his 3 injections about three weeks ago, and the vet said he felt that this would take care of it for him and he wouldn't need to go on daily meds.

Last night while he was sprawled out across me and the sofa I looked him over pretty good. There are no traces of any of the spots that he had! His fur has grown back in beautifully, the two red spots that had not lost all the fur have completely disappeared. The spot on his foot that was just starting is gone as well!

We're so happy! Love the little guy! ....ok, not so little anymore, he weighs in at 29 pounds!