A Very Itchy Dog

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
A Very Itchy Dog

This is my Lola . She is a pure bred Yorkie. She is constantly scratching herself or rolling around on her dog bed. I've tried anti itch shampoos, sprays, oatmeal shampoos, cocoa butter and the dreaded lampshade hat (oh the looks she gives when I put that on her ).

She's on flea medicine (capstar) because none ofthe topical medicines would work on her. The vet suggested steroids (which we tried didn't help) or Benadryl (tried that, but I don't like her all doped up ). Does anyone have any ideas that may help ?

PA010185.JPG
The Following User Says Thank You to AngBuck For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 PM

RE: A Very Itchy Dog

L.Love has posted more than 50 good deals
I have a 2yr old American bulldog he always seemed to be itchy with irritated ears took him to vet he was on meds and steroids seem to help for a day or two then he started to break out in hives so he was put back on meds also medicated shampoo it just never helped him for more than a week when he was done with meds the itching would start allover so finally the vet sent us the a dermatologist and he was put on a prescribed food he completely stop itching no more tear marks and no more meds ..
The Following User Says Thank You to L.Love For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 PM

My Mood/Status:
SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Poor baby she probably has allergys, When you did the benadryl did it seem to work, if so you can try alavert or claritin they are both OTC and non-drowsy antihistamines but will definately run you more money.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Miguel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
and FINALLY after 12 years welcomed
which makes us
The Following User Says Thank You to SPOILEDTCANGEL For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 PM

coupon crazy!

My Mood/Status:
omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I have similar problems with our dog and always have since we rescued him. He gets the biggest, nastiest fleas I've ever saw in my life! We keep our house REALLY clean, we treat the yard, we treat the house, we treat him constantly & they STILL just won't DIE! Plus, he has really bad allergies just like my husband [I tell him he gets it from him haha] so the only thing that ever works is a cortisone shot. I hate having to give him shots because I'm definitely not pro un-necessary shots, but it's a lifesaver for us anyway.

I've heard trying to put 1 cap of vinegar in their water, giving them garlic pills, all kinds of things. None of them work for him. We put him on the cortisone shots as needed and comfortis [the month long pill] & sometimes a capstar to kill them instantly; but that doesn't keep them away for very long [at least with Pepper]

Baby #1: EDD 08.25.14
Awaiting the arrival of:
Penelope Starr
Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 PM

My Mood/Status:
AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
The Benadryl worked for a bit, but then the poor thing is stoned and sleeps more. I try to be careful about giving her medicine since shes about 9 lbs. (she had to lose weight, was a chunk for a bit
Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Ltaylor882 has posted more than 150 good deals!Ltaylor882 has posted more than 150 good deals!
Our two dogs are very itchy, too. We put frontline on them, oatmeal bath, and nothing helped much. We tried putting pure aloe vera on their irritated spots and that's really helped. It also helps to give them omega-3's; I had success using Halo Dream Coat. HTH and good luck :-)
Old 12-03-2011, 09:47 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
When I was younger (and I'm not a vet nor responsible for what we did) but my sister's boyfriend rubbed our itchy cat with soybean oil (my Dad worked for a soybean mill) and for several minutes and then we bathed him. Never had another itch. Spots where the cat had scratched off the fur grew back quick too.

But like I said, not a vet. Just off experience.
Fubu
and Stealth
Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Look up Cedar Oil Spray. I promise you. You will never buy anymore flea medicine it's great!! We have a Maltese who had to get allergy shots but a friend of mine told
me about this and this and it has even got rid of the fleas, itching, and hot spots he had!! I figure if it's good and safe enough for our troops to keep away sand fleas and etc. it was safe enough for my dogs! I will never buy flea meds again!

“Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, drink in the other
, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO HOO what a ride!”
Old 12-03-2011, 10:01 PM

My Mood/Status:
matica has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!matica has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!matica has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!matica has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!matica has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!matica has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!matica has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!matica has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I have a 4 1/2 year old mixed breed dog. When Bouer was 6 months old my son (was his dog) took him away to college. They came back a couple of months later and Bouer was a bloody mess. His ears, the sides of his mouth, spots of the size of quarters called hot spots were bloody and under his arms was rashy. I was horrified, he looked like he was in a fight. I immediately took him to the vet who put him on antibiotics and steriods. He got better within days. A month later we were back at the vet and he was put back on steriods but the doc said that was not the answer. It's not good for the dog to stay on steriods. We tryed prescription food, medicated sprays, shampoo's, vitamins, you name it. No luck. The vet said we could have him tested for allergies for $1,800. Then he would have to get shots like people do for allergies. This would be very expensive and no guarantee that it would work. I did my own research online and found out that animals have an allergy medicine called Atopica. So after my third round back at vet and after trying everything the vet suggested with nothing working I told the vet I wanted to try Atopica. He was not supportive but finally agreed. He said dogs can get liver problems. (I think its like when people take cholesterol meds and have to get their liver tested). Bouer has been on Atopica for almost 4 years with no side effects. The first year was the most expensive because you have to start out giving it every day. One box has 15 pills and cost about $88. After the first couple of weeks if it works you go to every other day. If all is well every 3 days and so on. Some dogs can even take it once per week. Bouer takes his every 3-4 days from Oct to April. He seems to be allergic to NY winters. . I got it down to 3 boxes for the entire winter. Good luck to you. Your dog is adorable. I hope something works for you.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:02 PM

shops too much!
Be yourself!

My Mood/Status:
Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Awwww...sorry your puppy is having these problems. May I ask what kind of food she eats? Many dogs are allergic to the grains used as fillers in some dog foods. We fed our Lab mix Iams for years, thinking it was a high quality food and he constantly suffered from terrible "hot spots." After the vet suggested prescription food (which he refused to eat), I did some research and started cooking for him (chicken & vegetables along with a supplement called Missing Link). The hot spots disappeared almost immediately. We then added Wellness food to his diet along with smaller amounts of the "home cooked" food and he did wonderfully on that.

Of course, food might not be the issue with your pup but it's something worth considering.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I assume there is no yeasty smell associated with her?

A couple of easy things to try...either fish oil or coconut oil. If it is a dry skin issue either should help that. Is she between 5-10 pounds. I would start with about 1/2 tsp coconut oil or 1 ml fish oil daily. You can buy formulations for dogs but people formulations should be fine and cheaper. That should be effective in a week. Keep an eye on her stools to make sure the oil isnt wrecking her system. If her stools are loose, cut back to every couple of days.

If that isnt working then I would next suspect the Capstar...is it possible for her to go off that in the winter months? I am unfamiliar with how long it would take for that to get out of her system so it could be months before you see reliably what she does without it.

There could be environmental allergens. Do you consistently use one detergent? Is it possible to switch to another if the answer was yes. I think, especially the smaller dogs that may be held a lot, are susceptible to laundry detergents and perhaps even human soaps and parfums.

The last culprit would be her food. A lot of dogs do have issues with the corn and wheat fillers. The food allergens can be difficult to overcome, especially if Lola is social. You have to not only change food and treats but make certain others dont give her thing that can set off her allergies. It may take several switches to get to the right food so it is a process but it is fixable!

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:15 PM

pammijo58 has posted more than 50 good deals
Change diets go to a holistic dog food!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:19 AM

My Mood/Status:
CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnG View Post
Look up Cedar Oil Spray. I promise you. You will never buy anymore flea medicine it's great!! We have a Maltese who had to get allergy shots but a friend of mine told
me about this and this and it has even got rid of the fleas, itching, and hot spots he had!! I figure if it's good and safe enough for our troops to keep away sand fleas and etc. it was safe enough for my dogs! I will never buy flea meds again!
Where do you buy this from? We have been dealing with a bad flea problem for the past couple of months and we have tried EVERYTHING.. Shampoos, spraying the house, flea dips, vinegar in our dog's water, shaving the dogs completely, etc. The prices I've found on the internet are really expensive. Please let me know. Thanks!!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:03 AM

GOONIES!
When it rains, it pours...

My Mood/Status:
Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My mom always poured a little bit of EVOO in our lhasa apso's food. The extra oils really helped her dry skin especially in the winter time.
(7), DS
(4), an 11yo
and a 6yo

Totally OCD. Luckily my DH is building me new stockpile shelves so I can more easily rearrange and reorganize my goodies!
The Following User Says Thank You to Z and G's Mom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2011, 07:10 AM

My Mood/Status:
cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:16 AM

Lift while you climb

My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We had a pooch who chewed, scratched, and rubbed constantly. The vet suggested allergy testing. We got the results and she was allergic to almost everything on the list. There was only one kind of food we could feed her that wouldn't make the allergies worse. So she got that food along with steroid shots, soothing baths, and lots of benadryl just to manage them.

The allergy testing is pretty expensive, but it might point you in the right direction.

DELTA region for Kroger stores

Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 AM

Happiness is...puppy kisses x2!

My Mood/Status:
StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasieMcCann View Post
Where do you buy this from? We have been dealing with a bad flea problem for the past couple of months and we have tried EVERYTHING.. Shampoos, spraying the house, flea dips, vinegar in our dog's water, shaving the dogs completely, etc. The prices I've found on the internet are really expensive. Please let me know. Thanks!!
Just a heads-up....I just searched Amazon and they have a very small bottle of the Cedar Oil for $3.50, with $2.99 shipping. After googling how to use/mix it on Ask.com, it looks like you need very little of it mixed with water. This might be a way to try it out without breaking the bank! We don't have problems with fleas, etc., but come summertime I normally put the puppies on flea meds just because we spend so much time at the lake. This may be a very cost effective alternative!
The Following User Says Thank You to StLouisClipper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2011, 06:38 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasieMcCann View Post
We have a friend that sells it here and he even makes a spray to spray your house with. I looked online and found the cheapest I could and some directions on how to mix it. HTH

Atlas Cedar Oil 1 fl oz (30 ml) by NOW

How to Mix Cedar Oil Spray for Dogs | eHow.com

“Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, drink in the other
, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO HOO what a ride!”
Old 12-06-2011, 06:50 PM

Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I have to side with the food suggestion, put her on a diet of chicken (real) and veggies for a week. See if things improve, yes it can be a little more expensive, but if it starts to clear up you at least have a starting point to try different foods and see how they work. Best of luck! On a side note my dogs eat raw meats with a supplement of dog food, I have not had fleas in over 10 years since I made the change no meds needed, and my Jack Russell's hot spots cleared right up :-)