Anyone Here Breed & Vaccinate At Home, I Got Laughed At :(

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 11:41 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Anyone here breed & vaccinate at home, I got laughed at :(

Just wondering, a few weeks ago we had our 3rd litter of pups and while visiting the vet for the first puppy visit she had asked if I ever looked into vaccinating at home, (shes actually not one of them just for money vets) Since obviously needles dont scare me, I stick humans all day why not pups right?

So I started reading on it and decided to try it I ordered from a highly reccomended website it came insulated to the right temp, 2nd day delivery.

So yesterday was their first at home shots and my DH woke up to me crying hugging cookie he starts laughing and goes something is wrong with you, you stick needles and IVs in humans but a dog giving a little yelp makes you ball your eyes out (I was literally crying like I just watched my pup break a bone or something). I just felt so bad I made him cry so he helped me with the rest and after 2 seconds they were back to playing like nothing ever happened.

Please tell me I'm normal to feel this way, I mean I do think I have a softer side towards animals than humans I mean for goodness sake I belong to the ASPCA, Humane society of america, PETA and donate every chance i get to our local non kill shelter. He made me feel like I was crazy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Miguel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
and FINALLY after 12 years welcomed
which makes us
The Following User Says Thank You to SPOILEDTCANGEL For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 AM

RE: Anyone here breed & vaccinate at home, I got laughed at :(

...green...but, learning.

My Mood/Status:
Terri Shop has posted more than 300 great deals!Terri Shop has posted more than 300 great deals!Terri Shop has posted more than 300 great deals!Terri Shop has posted more than 300 great deals!
I wondered about this many a time. ( Duh...shoulda done some research by now. )

We have 5 cats. Calculate THAT in yearly vaccinations!

I'm going to do a little research today, but quick question; do you need a vet's script to get the meds?

TIA
The Following User Says Thank You to Terri Shop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 PM

WV Mom of 2 learning to save!!

My Mood/Status:
lisajonathan00 has posted more than 50 good deals
No, I think the first time you do it, it is hard. But if it will make you feel any better the next time you will be like ok, I know this is going to hurt for just a few seconds and you will be ok. So take it easy on yourself! Try giving a shot to a 100 lb sheep! LOL Just do it quick and easy and it is done before you know it.
You don't need a script from the vet. We get ours from the farm store. They have the 7 way shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to lisajonathan00 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 PM

...green...but, learning.

My Mood/Status:
Terri Shop has posted more than 300 great deals!Terri Shop has posted more than 300 great deals!Terri Shop has posted more than 300 great deals!Terri Shop has posted more than 300 great deals!
I'm not squimish about *giving* shots.
Not much of a fan of *getting* them, tho.
And cats ( at least ours ) have a short memory.

Thank you!
Vet bill for five cats runs 500.00 a year JUST for vaccinations, and so called "wellness" checks.

WOW! ...VERY cool.

Now...anyone know where I can get fecal examinations for a reduced price? Gotta make sure we're feeding cats, and not worms! ( ewww! )
The Following User Says Thank You to Terri Shop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 12:16 PM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
We raise puppies, horses and cattle and are FOREVER doctoring something. Because of the large number of animals we have I usually buy meds online since there is a bulk discount. I watch my expiration dates so that if it's a vial of vaccine or a package of multi packs I can use them a 2nd dose before they expire. I can't say I LIKE to give the shots but it's a short quick pain, they are over it almost immediately. We also clip dew claws and dock tails, that's NO FUN either but they go back to nursing immediately, mom give them a kiss and all is well.

You do not need a script for any vaccine except rabies and the rabies depends on the state you live in. We live in a state where we can legally buy and administer to our own dogs/cats/horses. Some states require that a vet do it. It's just not practical for us to take all dogs/puppies in everytime they need something.

We don't vaccinate our cat, prob should but haven't, anyways, the 7-way shot for dogs is simply under the skin (sub-cutaneous), SUPER easy. If you live in a state where you can give rabies, that's in the muscle, they crab a little more about it. But still very doable.

And if it's not for you - that's why vet's go to school for 8 years!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 PM

My Mood/Status:
SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I bought mine from jeffers no script needed and they ship same or next day and they were the most reasonable priced for shipping everyone else wanted 24-30 for 2 day they were 10.95 i believe.

I paid 76.00 for a 25 dose pack of the 5-way vaccination my vet is very against the 7 way and that will give all 5 pups their shot series plus. They also came with labels like the vet gets with the batch # and exp date so you can put it on a vaccination record for the new owners.

Everyone is still doing well back to their cute selfs and all forgave me

As for Rabies yeah we can't legally give it in NJ but our shelter has a free clinic 2xs a month as long as you live in county so its free anyways
to Miguel
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
which makes us
The Following User Says Thank You to SPOILEDTCANGEL For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Supporting Member

jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I get mine from Drs. Foster and Smith. (Is there a better place to get them? I'm all ears!) I do animal rescue work, so there's no way I could afford to take a dog or cat to the vet just for vaccines. The animals don't seem to mind too much. I wouldn't say it's fun, but by the time they realize what's going on it's all over.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlperschke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 AM

My Mood/Status:
tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
My vet frowns on giving your own shots. I bought a puppy this summer, and the family that I got her from, gave their own shots. They had listed on paper, the names of the shots, and the date given, and the date of when she was wormed. When I brought her in for the Rabies shot, they made me do the shots and the worming over again, because they didn't trust that it had been done.

Last edited by tammy.bren; 12-13-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:46 AM

Missing my Sugar Girl. RIP 12/29/13

My Mood/Status:
momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
We give our own shots at the rescue (except Rabies), and the very first time I was so scared I was going to hurt the kittens, their little skin is so tough and you really have to push to break the skin, and then they let out a little meow. but now i am pretty much used to it. it will get easier if you have to do it again. so yeah i think you are totally normal!!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 AM

listening to the music of the spheres
Buddhist Bon Vivant Pataphysicist!

My Mood/Status:
siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Aww! I know just what you mean!

I think what makes it hard is that you can't explain to them that what you're doing is out of love and that you don't want to hurt them.

The only animal I've ever had to give an injection to was a snake. You'd better believe I felt awful trying to stick a needle in at just the right place, in just the right way, while she writhed and wiggled trying to escape me! It really went much better as things progressed, but I still feel like I owe her an apology!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
We have a small farm and also have 4 dogs. We do all our own vaccinations at home. Our vet is not the money-greedy type, so he taught us how to give the shots and any time we need something, all we have to do is call him, tell him what we need, and we can get it. We do have to take our dogs in for the rabies vacc, but our vet doesn't charge the exam fees.The first time I had to give an antibiotic shot to one of our pigs, I felt so bad. It does get easier with time and practice though!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarrieM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy.bren@mchsi.com View Post
My vet frowns on giving your own shots. I bought a puppy this summer, and the family that I got her from, gave their own shots. They had listed on paper, the names of the shots, and the date given, and the date of when she was wormed. When I brought her in for the Rabies shot, they made me do the shots and the worming over again, because they didn't trust that it had been done.
When I sold 2 of the pups so far I even give copies of the labels from the vaccination with the brand, type, lot # and exp date. Along with paperwork on when they were given, age and if any reaction.

I think your vet is a little off because if he worried that much he would have given a titer instead of a whole series of shots just to see if the pup had it and since he was the one wondering he shouldn't charge you for the titer if in fact it showed that the shots were given but given a whole new shot series he was able to charge you for.
to Miguel
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
which makes us
Old 12-21-2011, 05:43 AM

emd8807 has posted more than 25 good deals
I have never done the vaccines. But, our one cat is diabetic and needed insulin injections for a while. I was a sobbing mess the first time, you are not alone!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 AM

Location: Ava, Missouri.... a teeney tiny town in Southwestern MO
My Mood/Status:
ItalianPrincess1984 has posted more than 150 good deals!ItalianPrincess1984 has posted more than 150 good deals!
I sent my MIL to my vet with her puppy and he gave the pup the first set of shots, then sent MIL home with the rest of the doses. MIL is a truck driver so the vet wanted to be sure pup would get the doses on time. We have 11 cats, 1 dog, and 1 pony, so I do all possible shots at home mainly for the fact that it is easier then trying to take all the animals to the vet by myself and having to make multiple trips. We can either buy the shots from the vet, online, or at MFA or one of the feed stores.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:28 PM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
We do the ones you can get at tractor supply. Of course everyone gets check ups first and rabies at the vet.

Saves me like 70$ an animal!

I'm a
who is a
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act