Our Dog Wont Play With Toys?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 03:49 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Dterrill07 has posted more than 10 good deals
Our Dog wont play with toys?

We adopted Onyx (black lab/Akita/chow mix) 3 years ago. We was a abused dog, and he's gotten a lot better since we've had him. However, when we try to get him to play, like throw a ball, he tilts his head and looks at us like "Stupid, you chase the ball" We've tried chewing toys, frisbee's, nothing. Are some dogs just not interested in toys?
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 05:59 PM

RE: Our Dog wont play with toys?

My Mood/Status:
imgodsgrl06 has posted more than 100 good deals!imgodsgrl06 has posted more than 100 good deals!
We have three dogs - one dearly loves toys will chase and bring things back and have another go. One used to like toys a little, not alot, but a little - only on his terms though and he wouldn't chase anything. Then we have a third. He's never been a toy dog. If you throw something for him to fetch - he just lays down - he's got better things to do. He just adopted a frog stuffed toy that belonged to my son - but he won't chase it, unless he thinks the other dogs are going to get it. He uses it like a pillow.

So yes, I think it's normal that not all dogs like toys.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:07 PM

My Mood/Status:
fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I have a very lazy laid back boxer. She doesnt play with toys at all. She does adore chewing on pig ears occasionally though She was never abused , we have had her since she was 4 weeks old and needed a mommy dont worry give tons of love. If i was a dog honestly I probably wouldnt chase a ball either
Old 11-25-2011, 06:23 PM

My Mood/Status:
vbchick87 has posted more than 100 good deals!vbchick87 has posted more than 100 good deals!
I have a rescue who spent the first 9 months of her life in a shelter and when we first got her she didn't even know what to do with a toy. She gave me that same tilted head look like "what? You really expect me to chase that?" haha. We got her some of those Kong toys that you can put treats in and now she will chase those without the treats in them. Maybe that would help
Old 11-25-2011, 06:27 PM

Having fun finding deals

My Mood/Status:
littleprincess has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!littleprincess has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!littleprincess has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!littleprincess has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!littleprincess has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!littleprincess has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!littleprincess has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!littleprincess has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!littleprincess has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!littleprincess has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!littleprincess has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Yep, buying toys is just a waste for my 2 dogs. Neither has every really been into them. However our third dog (recently passed) loved them and would actually try to get the others to play too.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:53 PM

AFC Star Member

crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
How is his vision? That can play a part.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have had dogs that would look at you with the "not going to chase a darn thing" and then others that will drive you crazy to throw a ball for them. My last dog and the current one I have were both rescues and neither would/will play with toys. My current dog (see him in my avatar) doesn't even like dog treats. He will gingerly take them from you and put them on the floor and leave them there. It just depends on the dog and not all will want to chase a ball or play tug with you. Some like my current and last dogs just want a quiet home and someone to pet them.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:29 AM

nellyhartley has posted more than 10 good deals
I took in an abandoned dog that was perfect in every single way and I didnít think he had been abused because of his sweet disposition. That was until I took him to the park and picked up a stick to play fetch. He saw the stick and ran away, terrified, as fast as he could. Luckily he ran home. Abused animals have issues that will play up in different ways, and this might be one. Donít worry, just let your dog its time.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:53 PM

My Mood/Status:
AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
My rescue dog only likes old socks tied in knots (I watch to see when he starts shredding them then they go to the trash) . He's more the run and herd the other two dogs up. He also loves to hug and talk. You tell Dually to use his words, he opens and closes his mouth while he talks. Its so funny