Homemade Dog Food Help

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 03:26 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Homemade Dog Food Help

Hi all!!

I recently started making my 3 dogs homemade food. I have a rottweiler (14), an australian shepard (9), and a black lab (8). I have done a ton of research but still have some unanswered questions. I currently feed them brown rice, chicken breast and/or ground beef, carrots, peas, and sometimes green beans.

My dogs are older and not very active. They range from 70-90lbs. I'm worried they might not be getting enough food, because they absolutely scarf down the homemade food. I did some research and by calories they are, but I thought I would ask for some opinions and advice.

Daily each dog gets:
3 cups of brown rice
1 cup of chicken breast or ground beef
1 cup of peas
1 cup of carrots

They also get homemade treats, at least 3 a day made with rice flour, flax seed and peanut butter. They also get a 1000mg of fish oil with peanut butter.

Advice? Thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 PM

RE: Homemade Dog Food Help

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Well dogs will scarf anything they really like. I have had one or two that would not do that - look at the dog in my avatar he doesn't and I consider him weird. To them it is a treat they are getting and if they are being fed sufficiently then don't worry. I know my last dog thought that veggies were dog treats and you were not going to have cauliflower or baby carrots unless she got her fair share.
The Following User Says Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2011, 01:58 AM

TheQueenMother has posted more than 10 good deals
You could consider adding organ meat to your mixtures. When I made the homemade mix for my highly allergic dog, I used liver and other organ meat as the basis. This can be obtained cheaply if you have a processing plant locally. The brown rice ration looks good.
I added spinich and sweet potato to mine as well as coconut oil but I was dealing with an underweight dog who had difficulty keeping pounds on. However the coconut oil made his coat so shiny I would probably continue with it for any dog I was making homemade food for. (the cold processed coconut oil is what I used)
I made up a weeks worth of meals at a time and froze them. The little dog I was feeding weighed 3 lbs, and his portion size was a muffin tin full. He would gobble it down in seconds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheQueenMother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2011, 07:29 AM

haree has posted more than 1 good deal
Nice man. This is need to my friend so i'll talk to him and he will defiantly enjoy to this.
Thanks for sharing such a nice post.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM

My Mood/Status:
pinkflower66 has posted more than 100 good deals!pinkflower66 has posted more than 100 good deals!
Do you save money on homemade dog food? I was thinking of starting to make my own dog food. I have tons of rice and chicken in the freezer.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinkflower66 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 11:29 AM

j2012 has posted more than 150 good deals!j2012 has posted more than 150 good deals!
I feed my three ferrets a homemade raw diet.

Just a couple questions:

Are you feeding any organ meat? Liver, kidney?

What about heart meat (heart is a muscle, not an organ).

Where are they getting their calcium? If you're not feeding raw bones (only raw bones are safe, never feed cooked bones), you will definitely need to get a supplement.

You're also only feeding 2 meat proteins - I always say that 3 proteins is the minimum. Each animal has unique nutritional composition and feeding 3 helps to cover more nutritional basis.

Organ meat is crucial - I feed one meal of liver/kidney once a week. It is rich in vitamin A. I add plain canned pumpkin to the meal to help firm up stools. Liver and kidney produce dark stools.

My ferrets get 9 bone in meals a week. They get 4 boneless meals a week. One of those boneless meals is pure heart (rich in taurine and lots of other essential nutrients). The last meal is organ meats. I feed turkey, chicken, pork, beef, and Cornish game hen on a regular basis.

I watch their stools to see if everything is balanced. If the stools are dry, less bone is fed. Very wet stools, I add more bone and/or pumpkin.

If you decide to go cooked, you will need to supplement with vitamin, minerals, etc.

If you're interested in raw, check out;

http://rawfeddogs.net/

Or PM me with any questions

Good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j2012 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 01:22 PM

My Mood/Status:
DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!DingDong has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Pink flower - I thought I would be saving money, but in the long run, with 3 big dogs and also considering my time, I didn't feel I was saving money. HTH

Thank you j2012 - you know A LOT about feeding raw! I decided that I just couldn't keep up with everything and I got so worried about them not getting everything they need - and by the information you gave me, they were not.

So I put them on Kirkland Mature Dog Formula and I'm not sure if that is the greatest option or not. I still make homemade food weekly, just not as their meal - they stare at me if I just give them dry food - so I give brown rice, carrots & broccoli with ground beef or chicken.

I know people have different opinions of store bought food - I have tried to do my research and also try to stay on somewhat of a budget - 3 big dogs and a 4th one on the way that is about 90lbs - I feel like it costs more to feed my dogs than my family!

Old 02-12-2012, 11:34 PM

Supporting Member

jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
According to Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings, Kirkland is a great dog food. I don't personally use it, but I think I would if I had a Costco membership.