Animal Shelters And Rescues

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 05:33 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
REAL MEN COUPON

My Mood/Status:
bucmiller has posted more than 25 good deals
Animal Shelters and Rescues

I just wanted to let everyone know that animal shelters, and rescues are a great place to go for a pet when you are in the market. I have read a few comments from others on this site about paying hundreds, and even into the thousands for there pet, and I know that there are some that need that " I paid X amount of dollars for my cat/dog/etc" to give them what I guess they think are bragging rights. For all the rest of you, which I think would be alot on a couponing site, that are aware paying top dollar does not always mean you are getting better quality it just means ....well you paid more please know that you will never find a more loving, appreciative, pet than you will find at a animal shelter/rescue. When I was younger I had to have the expensive dogs from the top of the line breeder and I had more medical problems with those expensive AKC registered dogs than I have ever had with my rescued dogs. Of course I am not saying that you will have more medical problems with an AKC dog than a rescued one I am sure others will tell you of an exact opposite experience they had.. I am just saying that by spending tons of money on a pet does not save you from medical problems down the line. I know this post really is not going to change anyones mind some of you have to spend top dollar for a pet and that does not make you a terrible person, but it just kills me to read about the number of animals put to sleep every year. Some shelters have a 98% kill rate. Please give animal shelters and rescues a try.

Also for everyone of you who I have read post from that have rescued animals or work at rescues or have donated to your local rescue with all my heart I thank you so much. The world is a better place because of you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bucmiller For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 05:50 PM

RE: Animal Shelters and Rescues

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Well all of my dogs have been rescues or given to me by friends/family. The one in my avatar is my newest - don't have a clue what kind he is but he is so sweet. The lady that had him REFUSED to let me have him back in May since I worked full time and didn't have a fenced in yard and would run away if I just had him on a regular collar. Well she lost her life this past week (she had lung cancer and never smoked a day in her life) and I was contacted by the person trying to place the dogs she had rescued and Alfie had been placed twice in the past month and he was awful for them. Well I went and got a harness for him and picked him up last Saturday afternoon. He is great on a regular collar and the person handling her estate asked me if I took him could they pay to have my yard fenced. So we are in the process of getting the permits to have my yard completely fenced. I don't know why they insist on this but if it makes them happy then my yard will be fenced. Alfie is a little cuddle bug which he never was at her home and he appears to be pretty happy little fellow.

As far as getting AKC dogs - I have had several pure breed dogs and like I said above they were all given to me. My last was a English Springer Spaniel and I miss her but she did have health problems and had been previously abused - needless to say I did spoil the crap out of her. I actually went through a ESS rescue group to get another ESS and they refused to let me have a rescued dog since I don't crate my dogs and again the fenced yard issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2011, 06:00 PM

Happy to be saving money!!
Still learning, but getting better!

My Mood/Status:
Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
All 5 of my children (2 dogs, 3 cats) were rescued from something or somewhere. Both dogs are purebred Pomeranians, and both have serious seizures. But paying $$$ for my next child will never be an option. I know 5 precious souls that may have been put down due to no fault of their own. Why pay, when you can save a life?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minijump21 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 AM

My Mood/Status:
Cass3927 has posted more than 150 good deals!Cass3927 has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLance68 View Post
Well all of my dogs have been rescues or given to me by friends/family. The one in my avatar is my newest - don't have a clue what kind he is but he is so sweet. The lady that had him REFUSED to let me have him back in May since I worked full time and didn't have a fenced in yard and would run away if I just had him on a regular collar. Well she lost her life this past week (she had lung cancer and never smoked a day in her life) and I was contacted by the person trying to place the dogs she had rescued and Alfie had been placed twice in the past month and he was awful for them. Well I went and got a harness for him and picked him up last Saturday afternoon. He is great on a regular collar and the person handling her estate asked me if I took him could they pay to have my yard fenced. So we are in the process of getting the permits to have my yard completely fenced. I don't know why they insist on this but if it makes them happy then my yard will be fenced. Alfie is a little cuddle bug which he never was at her home and he appears to be pretty happy little fellow.

As far as getting AKC dogs - I have had several pure breed dogs and like I said above they were all given to me. My last was a English Springer Spaniel and I miss her but she did have health problems and had been previously abused - needless to say I did spoil the crap out of her. I actually went through a ESS rescue group to get another ESS and they refused to let me have a rescued dog since I don't crate my dogs and again the fenced yard issue.
aww..I think it is so touching that a rescue group/rescuer would go to these lengths for a dog. It's so nice when people care. And, hey, you get a free fence for your yard which should be great for resale value. win-win deal!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cass3927 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 AM

Supporting Member

jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
All of my pets are rescues and I'd never have it any other way. There's nothing like saving a life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlperschke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2011, 03:39 PM

My Mood/Status:
Dterrill07 has posted more than 10 good deals
We adopted our Dog Onyx 3 years ago. We got him from the site Petfinder.com. My sister who is actually Minijump21 on here told me about that site.. Onyx is a black lab/Akita/chow mix. He's brindle, 62 lbs, and has a akita/chow curly tail. We ADORE him. I still talk to the woman who saved him. Her job is to take in Pets, and find them good homes. She did tell me Onyx's history and he was abused. Now he's spoiled. He has his own dog bed that's in our room, he has treats, he's loved by my husband, I and our 2 kids. I am all for adopting and saving pets that need homes. We did learn that when I chose Onyx, that was his 1st day up for adoption, so when we got him, he was just thrown away from the very family who abused him. Now he's loved and adored. In the 3 years we've had him, he's come out of his shell alot. He used to tremble and hide from everyone, now he is still skittish, but way more laid back and calm..Oh yeah and I also gave him a middle name so when I get mad at him, I can make it sound more convincing like my kids , It's Keane, it means clever...I figured out he was clever when he learned to open the hamper to get my panties . I love my hyper, loving, lay in my lap like a 10 lb dog, fuzzer...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dterrill07 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 PM

My Mood/Status:
AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
My middle son (four legged) is a rescue . We went and looked and they were walking him in and he ran up to DH who was squatted down and put his paw on his leg He doesn't like thunderstorms (think because at the rescue they are in a indoor outdoor building that echoes.) He's a mix some say there is some Grey hound in there because of how fast he can run and cut, but mostly Catahoula/ Pit.
He's a sweet boy and smart. He likes to take sheets of paper, he'll put his paw on it and bite the edge and tear it. I guess he enjoys the sound because that's all he does to it.(mom doesn't like coming home to a pile of torn papers )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngBuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 08:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!
3 of our 4 danes are rescues and we will not do anything other than rescues from now on. 2 of which were gonna be put to sleep because the brother bit a man when scared out of his mind. (the sister was going to be put down by default only) We usually take on the more difficult cases and have found that with alot of hard work they can be completely rehabilitated and not be put down. (2 of our 4 have bite histories but we are careful and pay attention to their surroundings and have had no issues at all)

Last edited by lovemy4danes; 01-20-2012 at 08:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lovemy4danes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 PM

july2011 has posted more than 10 good deals
All my dogs have been from a shelter, but I wouldn't fault someone for going the responsible breeder route. It can be hard to find a decent, responsible shelter or rescue group - which is important, as every bad rescue/shelter gives second-hand pets a bad name when they adopt out sick or inappropriate pets - and sometimes there are other valid reasons for purebred purchases. People who want to find a less common breed - a Flat-Coated Retriever, for example - or want to reduce the uncertainties when getting into a breed that's common but commonly hard to handle or badly bred - Rottweilers, for example - have sound reasons for getting more help. And, of course, there are people who want to compete in dog sports who find a purebred is much easier to show because the AKC is a PITA about mutts.

But mostly, yes, I agree that a pound puppy is the best choice!
The Following User Says Thank You to july2011 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 09:21 PM

Supporting Member

jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
From what I understand, the AKC allows altered and mix breed dogs complete in agility.

IMO, breeders (even responsible ones) contribute to the pet over population. The Humane Society estimates 4 million cats and dogs are euthanized in shelters in the US each year. The International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants says that 2/3 of pets do not spend their entire lives with their original owner. Some of these animals are given to friends and family, but many of them end up in shelters. Sadly, pure bred dogs are not immune to this statistic. This means that statistically, 2/3 of the puppies that breeders sell will not spend their lifetimes with the families that purchased them. Some of these dogs surely end up in good homes nonetheless, but certainly many of them are euthanized in shelters.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlperschke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 PM

AKC allows mutts in performance sports, once the owners have registered (aka, given the AKC money) but they are not allowed to compete against the purebreds. Which is why I still say they're a PITA; they hooplaed their embrace of the mutt while actually not embracing the mutt at all, only the wallet of the mutt owner.

Saying that responsible breeders contribute to pet "overpopulation" is true in the strictest sense, but it's comparing apples to oranges. A huge percentage of shelter dogs are pit bulls, which simply aren't suitable as pets for most people. That's why I'm leery of the idea we should limit breeders to eliminate "overpopulation." It won't work. The criminals and wannbes who produce the #1 over-produced breed/type are hardly going to obey a law. Sure, we'd eventually end up with fewer Irish Setters and Kerry Blue Terriers in shelters - though I'd argue that breed rescues have helped take out a large chunk of the homeless purebred population - but you'd still have a billion pit bulls nobody wanted.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to july2011 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 AM

Supporting Member

Why aren't pit bulls suitable as pets for most people? I've never met someone who is capable of owning a dog but incapable of owning a pit bull.

Whether or not pit bulls or Irish Setters end up in the shelters, I still think it's tragic that so many dogs -- pure breeds included -- are euthanized each year because there are more dogs than people who want them. I get the euthanasia list every evening for my county's shelters, and I've seen lots of dogs who appeared to be pure breeds (and were not pit bulls) on the list. Sadly, no breed is immune to euthanasia in a shelter.

I don't think that there should be a law restricting dog breeding, but I do think that pet owners should adopt instead of going to a breeder. I understand that some sports, such as dog shows, require pure bred dogs. If the only pure bred dogs would the ones used in show, there would be many fewer dogs.

Furthermore, mixed breeds are inherently healthier than pure bred dogs. So, if what you want is a pet and not a show dog, I don't see how a pure bred dog is superior to a mixed breed.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:42 PM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlperschke View Post
Why aren't pit bulls suitable as pets for most people? I've never met someone who is capable of owning a dog but incapable of owning a pit bull.
The problem is not with them owning the pits it is they way they are treated and trained. My Dad bred pits back in the day and they were great dogs - however - that was his female and her puppies (and we spoiled the crap out of them). I am sure that lots of the puppies ended up being used for fighting since that was not uncommon like today. The vast majority of the pits you hear about are the ones that have been brought up incorrectly and should not be allowed to breed (neither should their owners for that matter).
The Following User Says Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM

Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLance68 View Post
The vast majority of the pits you hear about are the ones that have been brought up incorrectly and should not be allowed to breed (neither should their owners for that matter).
I think that's the case with most dogs who make it to the news. Sure, there are a few stories of heroes, but the rest are about vicious dog attacks. Sometimes they're pit bulls, but sometimes they're other dogs, too. Saying pit bulls are not suitable pets for most people is akin to saying that Dachshunds aren't suitable pets for most people because (according to the University of Pennsylvania) they are the most aggressive breed.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlperschke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 02:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree! This is my shelter baby, Molly. She is a Dorky (Dachshund/Yorkie). She had been adopted and brought back to the shelter 3 times and was scheduled to be put down the next day. I can't for the life of me imagine why. She is the funniest and most affectionate dog I have ever had.

I also have an AKC registered black Lab, Eli (my avatar). He was a gift from my SIL before she passed away in 2007. I him dearly, but, I would never pay that kind of money for a dog.

My cat, Tiki, was born in someone's barn. This is him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Molly.jpg (45.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Tiki.jpg (117.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 PM

My Mood/Status:
Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Our area is so bad with abandoned animals that out of 2 dogs and 6 cats we've only actually picked out one from the shelter. The rest found us. We have never turned an animal away here. Even took on an abandoned rooster for the winter. We have no barns here. He would roost in our trees inside the fence at night and we had a makeshift shelter we built up against the house where we would put his food and water for the daytime. I have more respect for the people here that actually take their animal to a shelter (Ours has a good adoption rate) than the ones that just dump them on the side of the road to fend for themselves.

ISO .55/1 or 1.00/2 2lt q.s (Especially for Sunkist products)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vegas1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
That's like saying someone is capable of driving a car, so of course they're capable of piloting the space shuttle. Pit bulls are powerful, athletic animals with high resistance to punishment; they're slow to arouse but once aroused become so fixated on a target that they're nearly impossible to disengage. And most of them are still products of breeding programs which select for extreme dog-aggression. When you combine a very strong, athletic physiology with a very strong aggressive focus, you have an animal that needs better handling than a dog developed to retrieve birds or herd sheep. Many people with pit bulls deny this; they talk about how Pirate gives kisses and Khaos plays with kittens. For some reason, the reality that dog breeds have differnent tendencies, some good and some bad - greyhounds are frequently cat-killers, beagles bay, Saint Bernards drool - has become a debatable topic with pit bulls. Look at it this way - people with Cane Corsos, for example, will say flat out that their breed is not for everyone or even almost anyone. That's not an insult or a way of saying the breed is bad. It's just an acceptance of two realities - that their breed has the physical and mental makeup to kill much more easily than a Dachshund, and that most people don't want to take on that much responsibility into their daily lives. Pit bulls, either purebred AmStaffs or APBTs, or mixes, have been involved in a huge percentage of serious dog-on-human attacks, and an untold number of fatal dog-on-dog attacks. They belong in the same category as the Cane Corso for that reason; dogs that should be owned by a very small minority of dog owners. At the moment, they're extremely popular and owned by a lot of people, and it's clearly not working out well.

Re: mixed breeds and health. Hybrid vigor has some truth to it, but I think for that to be true, you need a few generations of mutt. Many non-purebred dogs these days are mixes, dogs whose parents or grandparents were purebred. With that scenario, you basically get a dog who has much the same propensity for the diseases of the purebreds, without the benefits of muttdom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to july2011 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 10:33 PM

ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I had a pit bull and they require a lot of training. We had a golden retriever and a cat and she fit in as an older puppy with the golden. Every chance she got she tried to attack the cat and she and the golden caught a rabbit in the backyard.

Owning a pit bull can be a very big job but it depends on their personality and how much work the owner wants to put into it but honestly the same could be said about other more docile breeds. I just know from my own experience she was much more work than any other dog I have ever owned. She was a beauty and was also protective of me. I still miss her.

Another reason is that in most apartment complexes and some counties, have banned or will not allow pit bulls so that really limits the number if people that can adopt them. It's so very sad.

I worked at a vet hospital over 10 years ago and we had a 13 year old pit come in. He had never been to a vet and he was shot in the elbow with a bb gun. He had to lay still for x-rays and he was the sweetest dog you could ever meet. Most dogs are frightened at the vet, plus he was in pain and allowed us to lift him and move his leg. I was bit once while working there and it was by a golden who was freaked out and got me by surprise.

Each dog has it's own personality and not every breed is suitable for every person. Some breeds are more difficult to train, some breeds are better for families with children, some breeds need more outdoor space to run, while other breeds are better for living in an apartment. That is why researching breeds is so important in the pet search. Not every breed will fit into a person's lifestyle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ltalmadge77 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 PM

ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
One more story. When I worked at the vet hospital one of the veterinarians told me how a Jack Russell had killed a man because the man had attacked his owner. When provoked any dog can be dangerous. I met the Jack Russell and he was so sweet you would never know.

The breeds we had the most problems with were not the ones that everyone seems to be afraid of and were not pit bulls.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ltalmadge77 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 PM

Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by july2011 View Post
Pit bulls are powerful, athletic animals with high resistance to punishment; they're slow to arouse but once aroused become so fixated on a target that they're nearly impossible to disengage.
What reliable sources have you found that say that pit bills are "slow to arouse but once aroused become so fixated on a target that they're nearly impossible to disengage" or that they have a "high resistance to punishment"? Furthermore, what does it even mean to have a high resistance to punishment? ...that they're stubborn?

Pit bulls are powerful, athletic dogs, but so are labs and English bull dogs.

I'm not denying that certain breeds have different instincts than others. To deny that would be to deny that a cat is different than a dog. However, since many pit bulls are successfully and happily owned as family pets, I don't understand how it is that pit bulls are not suitable pets for most people. It seems like an obvious contradiction.

You mentioned that pit bulls "have been involved in a huge percentage of serious dog-on-human attacks, and an untold number of fatal dog-on-dog attacks." "Huge" and "untold" are numbers that can mean anything. Do you have any idea what these numbers really are, or are you just saying that pit bulls frighten you?

Edited to add:

I decided to do some research for you. At the very least, pit bulls who attack don't often kill people. I didn't find anything yet discussing just attacks that didn't result in fatalities, but here's some information about dog attacks on people that were fatal:

The Washington Animal Foundation did a survey on human fatalities by dogs in 2001 and came up with these figures:
Rottweiler (6)
Labrador (2);
Pomeranian (1)
German Shepherd (2)
Chow (1)
Wolf-Hybrid (1)
Akita (1)
Doberman (1)
Beagle (1)
Presa Canario (2)
Pit Bull (1)
mixed breeds (6)

Another study was performed by Pickney & Kennedy, Traumatic Deaths from Dog Attacks in the United States, the report identified the following as responsible for human fatalities during the study period from May, 1975 to April, 1980:
German Shepherd (16)
Husky (9)
St. Bernard (8)
Bull Terrier (6)
Great Dane (6)
Malamute(5)
Golden Retriever (3)
Boxer (2)
Dachshund (2)
Doberman Pinscher (2)
Collie (2)
Rottweiler(1)
Basenji (1)
Chow-Chow (1)
Labrador Retriever (1)
Yorkshire Terrier (1)
mixed and unknown breeds (15)

So, it looks like that Pomeranians killed as many people in 2001 as pit bulls, and labs killed twice as many people as pit bulls!

Last edited by jlperschke; 01-23-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 PM

Supporting Member

Since we're talking about pit bulls, how many folks can even tell a pit bull from other dogs?

Think you can? Try your hand at this game: Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

I'll be totally honest, I couldn't tell the pit bull from the other dogs. It was something like my 10th try that I finally found the pit bull.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:38 PM

My Mood/Status:
bretoni has posted more than 75 good deals!
i owned a cane corso, she was best dog i have ever had, my best friend, smart, alert,aware of her surroundings at all times, and loved children, and on command listener, sadly when i bought our new home had a new 2000 sq. ft. fence put in some one poisoned her, and because of her strong will to survive we did not find out until it was to late to save her, we had already paid 900.00 in vet bills and nothing could be done, she passed away at home in my arms with the one person she was most devoted too. now i try to foster cane corsos and pitt bulls, i truly believe that a second chance at life is well deserving for animals that are in pounds and shelters, because my girl did not get a second chance!
The Following User Says Thank You to bretoni For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 AM

My Mood/Status:
Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Pit bulls now have the same rap that many other dogs have been through. At one time people were afraid of German Shepards, Rottweillers and Dobi's. I don't hear much about that anymore. Some dogs just have different temperments than others. I think some are due to how they are treated and some just lose it like some people do. Just not born right in the head.

ISO .55/1 or 1.00/2 2lt q.s (Especially for Sunkist products)
The Following User Says Thank You to Vegas1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 AM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I didn't real all the other posts so pls excuse me if someone already said this, BUT most breeds have their own rescue organization so if you wanted a specific breed you can get them, maybe not through a local shelter but through that breed organization. My friend LOVES LOVES LOVES great danes and she kept checking with a couple local shelters and they never had one so she found a great dane rescue organization and they found her one within a short time frame. Not all of our dogs are rescue dogs because we have to have a certain type in order to work our cows and if you don't get them as puppies and use/train them, then they usually don't work well or are even afraid of cows. BUT I do try to have at least one dog (our house dog) that is a mutt and was something that needed a home. We also have a rescue cat and horse. And thank you for this post - good reminder to send my donation to my fav horse rescue operation.
The Following User Says Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
What reliable sources have you found that say that pit bills are "slow to arouse but once aroused become so fixated on a target that they're nearly impossible to disengage" or that they have a "high resistance to punishment"? Furthermore, what does it even mean to have a high resistance to punishment? ...that they're stubborn?
You're being disingenuous. What credible sources do I have, what research have I done, for making the statement that Saint Bernards drool? It's common knowledge. Due to the various physical features which breeders selected for, these dogs drool a lot. Same thing for pit bulls. They were developed and, unfortunately, are still being bred for qualities valued in a "fighting" dog and among these is a high tolerance for pain.

Quote:
However, since many pit bulls are successfully and happily owned as family pets, I don't understand how it is that pit bulls are not suitable pets for most people. It seems like an obvious contradiction.
No, it doesn't. Apart from the very debatable question of whether many pit bulls make good family pets, there's the issue that if they did, that doesn't mean they'd make suitable pets for MOST people. There's a huge difference between "some" and "most." Some people are very happy working as commission-only salesmen; most people wouldn't be.

Quote:
You mentioned that pit bulls "have been involved in a huge percentage of serious dog-on-human attacks, and an untold number of fatal dog-on-dog attacks." "Huge" and "untold" are numbers that can mean anything. Do you have any idea what these numbers really are, or are you just saying that pit bulls frighten you?
I'm saying that it's obvious there's a problem with the pit bulls. And it's never getting better as long as the breeds' owners and fans keep attacking critics instead of dealing with their own flaws. Nobody knows what the numbers are because no credible group has tried to study dog attacks related to breeds since roughly 1990. And that is because the last group to do so came up with data which was not complementary to pit bulls, and pit bull fans hassled that research group so badly they eventually backed off their own findings and never went near the issue again.

Quote:
I decided to do some research for you. At the very least, pit bulls who attack don't often kill people. I didn't find anything yet discussing just attacks that didn't result in fatalities, but here's some information about dog attacks on people that were fatal:

The Washington Animal Foundation did a survey on human fatalities by dogs in 2001 and came up with these figures:... Another study was performed by Pickney & Kennedy, Traumatic Deaths from Dog Attacks in the United States, the report identified the following as responsible for human fatalities during the study period from May, 1975 to April, 1980:
... So, it looks like that Pomeranians killed as many people in 2001 as pit bulls, and labs killed twice as many people as pit bulls!
That isn't research, it's cherry-picking random data from pro-pit bull websites. The Washington study comes from an anti-BSL group, and the second study is over 30 years old; in 1980 the pit bull population explosion hadn't even begun. The Poms apparently killed infants, which is of course the only real chance a 10lb dog has to kill anyone. Tragic, but not a credible social problem, given the lack of a) a large population of small, aggressive dogs who frequently run loose and b) a large population of tiny, defenseless infants who are routinly left lying on the groun, unattended, in public places.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to july2011 For This Useful Post: