Animal Shelters And Rescues

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 PM

RE: Animal Shelters and Rescues

Loving Life

My Mood/Status:
Sandeegirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Sandeegirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Sandeegirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Sandeegirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Sandeegirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Sandeegirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
There are quite a few studies out there, I have researched because I own a dog on the dangerous dog list. I think the main problem is not the breed itself, but how they are raised and what may qualify as accidents. Some studies show if the animal was chained when it attacked, and listed age of victim. The whole discussion is sad, I rescued my Siberian Husky who is AKC, she is an extreme handful, but worth all the time and trouble. Most of us love animals period, and are saddened by the amount of animals in shelters. I feel some of these poor animals are victims of their environment.

Sent from my iPad using AFullCup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-553037664.jpg (7.9 KB, 7 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandeegirl For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 12:43 AM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ltalmadge77 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeegirl
There are quite a few studies out there, I have researched because I own a dog on the dangerous dog list. I think the main problem is not the breed itself, but how they are raised and what may qualify as accidents. Some studies show if the animal was chained when it attacked, and listed age of victim. The whole discussion is sad, I rescued my Siberian Husky who is AKC, she is an extreme handful, but worth all the time and trouble. Most of us love animals period, and are saddened by the amount of animals in shelters. I feel some of these poor animals are victims of their environment.

Sent from my iPad using AFullCup
Such a beautiful dog!! Thanks for sharing. I agree with your comments.

Honestly all dogs have the potential to be dangerous and some breeds are in the news more than others.

The golden retriever who bit me did it because she was scared of confined spaces. As a puppy she was left in her crate with her collar on and the collar got stuck on the crate and she couldn't break free. So without knowing her story I had no idea when I went to restrain her for the vet to complete an examination that she was going to freak out and bite me.

I guess I'm just trying to say that while my favorite breed is the golden retriever I also know that regardless of how great a dog they can be, they still have the potential to be dangerous. When my golden retriever and pit bull played and the playing got rough I was at the emergency vet with my pit bull (3 times)! My golden retriever was older and when she had enough she gave it to the pit.

I have always had dogs ever since I was a baby and I have had many different breeds and mixed breeds. I also worked at a veterinary hospital for about 10 years so I have experience with different breeds. I love pit bulls but I live in an apartment and that is one of the list of breeds I can't have.

I really hope that the dogs and cats in the shelters find homes and that less pets end up in the shelters.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 AM

My Mood/Status:
ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Pure breeds are more prone to health issues. They keep breeding into the health issues.
If you mix breeds you can help "dilute" those issues.

During my life I've had:
ANGEL - a collie/german shepherd (growing up)(PASSED 1988)
ALEX - Pure Samoyed (PASSED 2002)
MYSTIC - pure husky (PASSED 1998)
NICKI - mixed husky (from animal control / shelter)
CODY - pure husky (PASSED 2011)
JERICHO - Australian shepherd/malamute (human society)

ANGEL – don’t know of any issues she had.. My grandpa passed away and we spent the days in Chicago for the funeral. We tied her up and she ended up getting strangled in the BBQ…. She died while we were at my grandpa’s funeral…

ALEX - cutest dog ever.... she always looked like she was smiling... she had a lot of health issues.. even though she was pure white, she sometimes would be so flithy from being soaked and rolling in mud outside.. she would dry and she would be white again....

MYSTIC - always jumped over fence.. we lived in the country so we would let him.. unfortunately around 2yrs he ended up getting hit by a car. we couldn't keep in in the fence and we tried to keep him tied up when he went outside but always pulled the anchor out..

NICKI – had seizures very rarely. She is like 14 and believe has vertigo, and getting cataracts maybe… she tries to walk the tile lines when in the kitchen…weird…

CODY – just passed, she was 12… earlier this year we has some big masses removed from under her front arm pits.. I believe she has other tumors or something.. multiple bladder infections and she died in her sleep…

JERICHO - he is 5 now… no problems… just an attention hog… God forbide you pet the other dog.. his but is right up there looking for some love too..

When I got Jericho, we live and hr south of Chicago.. searched petfinder and found him at a Missouri human society right outside of St. Louis.. That was like a 5 hr drive each way…

Anyway I was looking for the 3rd dog (with Nicki and Cody) – I applied at all these Husky rescue societies and NONE of them called me back.. I didn’t want to keep waiting so I found Jericho… He was a teddy bear….

I WILL ALWAYS GET A RESCUE OR A SHELTER DOG! THEY ARE GOOD PETS!

SUPPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHELTERS!! DONATE $$ OR SUPPLIES….

HUSKIES – LOVE TO RUN, DIG and chase/kill little animals.. I’ve read a lot that you shouldn’t have huskies and cats.. It’s in their nature…

I can’t believe too that huskies were on the top list of biting… mine are so sweet. The only time the dogs ever got nasty to each other is around the food dishes sometimes.. very rarely.. NEVER AGGRESSIVE towards people… Although NICKI would always growl at men in hats…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alex2.jpg (54.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Mystic.jpg (35.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg COdy.jpg (60.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Nicki.jpg (54.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Jericho.jpg (56.5 KB, 2 views)

Working mommy to 7yr old
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 1yr
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
Mr. Jericho(8) and Ms. River Song(4m)
and
Big Cody(doggy heaven 12/13/11)
Slick Nick (doggy heaven 6/10/14)

Last edited by ArwenEvenstar; 01-25-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 AM

Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Per the CDC the Pit from 1979-1996 was responsible for 60 bit-related fatalities, #2 was the Rotti with 29.
Dog-Bite-Related Fatalities -- United States, 1995-1996

Yes any dog has the potential to be dangerous, but why do you think they are the number #1 fighting dog? I am pretty sure they were picked for a reason. I believe back in the 80’s people used Rotties, but quickly learned a Pitt proved to be deadlier and they switched.

I think the biggest issue is just like what july2011 said, when a pit fixates on something, it is very hard to call them off. They were breed for this “quality”. No they are not for everyone, if for no other reason, than their size. They are very compact and very strong, I have had a 100 lb Rotti mix that I could handle better than a friend’s 55 lb Pit, they have a low center of gravity (again by design) with compact muscles and not everyone has the sheer physical strength to deal with that.

Yes, the shelter is a GREAT place to get a dog. However, the only thing that leads to the over population of dogs is the human desire to have one , if people did not want dogs, then no one would breed them. Just my two cents.

PS I picked the Pitt out of the pictures the first time . I think it is a bit “miss-leading” to use an adolescent pic of Pitt which and adult pic was used for all the other breeds.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:09 AM

Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Rachael4978 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Also, let me say, I do love Pitts, their grinning faces make me smile also. I believe that an owner that is strong both Physically and Mentally would make for a great match up.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 PM

Supporting Member

jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by july2011 View Post
You're being disingenuous. What credible sources do I have, what research have I done, for making the statement that Saint Bernards drool? It's common knowledge. Due to the various physical features which breeders selected for, these dogs drool a lot. Same thing for pit bulls. They were developed and, unfortunately, are still being bred for qualities valued in a "fighting" dog and among these is a high tolerance for pain.
All I'm asking is that before you make outlandish remarks about how one breed of dog is so dangerous that it is like the space shuttle when a typical dog is like a car, you have something to back it up. I back up all of my claims because I don't expect you to just take my word for it, since I'm not a dog expert. Are you?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:21 PM

Supporting Member

jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael4978 View Post
Per the CDC the Pit from 1979-1996 was responsible for 60 bit-related fatalities, #2 was the Rotti with 29.
Dog-Bite-Related Fatalities -- United States, 1995-1996

PS I picked the Pitt out of the pictures the first time . I think it is a bit “miss-leading” to use an adolescent pic of Pitt which and adult pic was used for all the other breeds.
Thank you! That's the kind of research I was looking for! I'm by no means an expert of all things dog, but when someone makes a harsh statement, I want to see the evidence.

Way to go picking out the pit bull on your first try! I had no idea that the pit bull in that picture was an adolescent. Obviously, you know your dogs!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlperschke

Thank you! That's the kind of research I was looking for! I'm by no means an expert of all things dog, but when someone makes a harsh statement, I want to see the evidence.

Way to go picking out the pit bull on your first try! I had no idea that the pit bull in that picture was an adolescent. Obviously, you know your dogs!
Dogs are my first love, have a nack for them :-). Some can tell you quotes from a movie, or actors or football teams, my interest is animals.

PS I do not claim to be the best trainer or owner, just good at spotting breeds :-) can do it with cows , horses, and cats but better at dogs :-) everyone tells me I am full of useless info
Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 AM

My Mood/Status:
ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael4978 View Post
Dogs are my first love, have a nack for them :-). Some can tell you quotes from a movie, or actors or football teams, my interest is animals.

PS I do not claim to be the best trainer or owner, just good at spotting breeds :-) can do it with cows , horses, and cats but better at dogs :-) everyone tells me I am full of useless info
I love doing movie quotes......

Working mommy to 7yr old
and 1yr
;
Mr. Jericho(8) and Ms. River Song(4m)
and
Big Cody(doggy heaven 12/13/11)
Slick Nick (doggy heaven 6/10/14)

Old 01-26-2012, 12:38 PM

My Mood/Status:
Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think what it comes down to is that there are a lot of people that should not be allowed to even have animals. I am often kidded around with by friends and family that they would love to be one of our animals. Pure luxury they call it. Everything a dog or cat could ask for. As far as I'm concerned animals should be treated with love and kindness just as you would treat a child. We have no children. So, we might take this to the extreme side. All I know is that we have had many animals. Some mutts, a few not. They have all been a joy. Loving, wonderful with us, each other and all people in general. I believe this is because they came here from sad situations and saw how good life could be with humans that truly cared for them. It breaks my heart when I see people giving up their animals so easily. To me it is like giving up your children. I've always said I wish my animals could talk to me for just one day. I'd really like to know what they have gone thru before us. Some of them it is easy to tell. One dog is scared to death to get into the car. I believe he was dropped off by a car and out on his own as a puppy for quite a while before he ended up here. Cat that showed up shot in the leg. Owners cared enough to have him neutered and were feeding him, but did not care enough to take him to a vet (according to vet the gunshot was at least 3 weeks old. Cat had actually worn a hole in his foot from dragging it around on asphalt and rocks). The cat, however, was well fed. Little good that was going to do him, with the infection he had setting in. I just wish people would care more and make sure that an animal fits into their life before they give them a home. How upsetting it must be to animals that think they have someone that loves and cares for them, just to be passed on in a year.

ISO .55/1 or 1.00/2 2lt q.s (Especially for Sunkist products)
The Following User Says Thank You to Vegas1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM

Vegas1,
Well said, I could not agree more.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 PM

probably at Target
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have 2 rescue dogs right now....an irish wolfhound (dropped off at the APL when he was 4 months old because the family decided he would get too big) and a chocolate lab (with papers who was dropped off at the rescue group a week before his first birthday because he was a gift from a girlfriend to a boyfriend and they broke up).

Every rescue has a story There are some great pets out there looking for a forever home!

~I will not run in the rain, I will not run near a train. I will not run when it's hot, Enjoy running? I do not ~

Rescue a pet today~~they'll be forever grateful