I Have A Problem.Please Help

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 08:16 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Help Sign I have a problem.Please help

Sorry for such a long post. I have a big problem a kitten wondered to my neighbors and they didnt know who it belonged to and they couldnt keep it one of them is deathly allergic. So they just put it back outside and it wondered to my house so I took it in. It had worms,fleas and earmites. I put up a flyer at albertsons. And then I kindof scouted the neighborhood and one of the neighbors from around the corner said she knew who it belonged to and she told me they have 2 other cats and they dont take care of them they are also covered in fleas and have problems. So yesterday the people who own the cats called and said I had there kitten. I explained to them that I knew they had other cats they didnt take care of so since the kitten wondered to my house I was going to keep it. She threw a stink and said she wanted it back and I told her if I gave it back I would be reporting her to the aspsa(and I would have) because the other 2 cats were not taken care of and I didnt think it was right and after I said that to her she told me just to keep it..Then about an hour later she had a friend call trying to act like it was someone different and said they were going to take the two others and if she could have the kitten to...OK NOW! I put 2and2 together and figured out it was the cat owners friend.. So my question is can I legally keep it since it wondered over here and I know her other cats are neglected? and technically when I talked to her she told me to keep it? Any help would be appreciated.... Oh and also the talk of the neighborhood is that she keeps the other one outside because it is 16 and they dont want it dying in the house..Come on now how cold is that. And that was a true statement not just hear say because when I talked to the actual owner she said the exact same thing as the neighbors did... Thanks guys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(15)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(13):
9and 6

:

Last edited by 5forme; 10-22-2011 at 08:20 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5forme For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 08:21 AM

RE: I have a problem.Please help

very
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
babynicksmom has posted more than 200 great deals!babynicksmom has posted more than 200 great deals!babynicksmom has posted more than 200 great deals!
No matter what I would keep the kitten. I would give it a bath. And if you have any other cats. Give them a bath to, because the fleas are going to get on them.

I would report those people to the SPCA, and let them know that they have 2 other cats that are not be taken care of. Especially the 16 yr old cat. That cat needs some special care.

the woman told you to keep the kitten, then keep it. But if you can take it to the vet and have it checked out. Because you don't know, it may have other problems.

I can't stand it when people don't take care of their animals.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babynicksmom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 08:24 AM

My Mood/Status:
5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by babynicksmom View Post
No matter what I would keep the kitten. I would give it a bath. And if you have any other cats. Give them a bath to, because the fleas are going to get on them.

I would report those people to the SPCA, and let them know that they have 2 other cats that are not be taken care of. Especially the 16 yr old cat. That cat needs some special care.

the woman told you to keep the kitten, then keep it. But if you can take it to the vet and have it checked out. Because you don't know, it may have other problems.

I can't stand it when people don't take care of their animals.
The day I got it I flea treated it gave it worm medicine and gave it ear mite med. My other cats are already treated. I agree Iam keeping it, And Im with you animals are suppose to be family not just pets...
(15)
(13):
9and 6

:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5forme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 09:16 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Do you have actual proof that she is not a good pet owner? The kitten is hers and it is personal property and she can actually call the police and have them get the kitten from you if they wanted to. Did you report to animal control that you found a kitten? Did you know you are suppose to report any "found" animals? You might want to go report the found kitten and then ask them if you can keep it even if you think the owners are not good owners because someone told you they were bad pet owners with no evidence of the facts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 09:21 AM

My Mood/Status:
kl2002 has posted more than 200 great deals!kl2002 has posted more than 200 great deals!kl2002 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I would report both the found kitten and the situation to your local ASPCA/animal control. Tell them the truth and keep a detailed record of everything (including treatment, phone calls, etc) to date that has happened.

And thank you for caring so much about this kitten. Get the authorities involved because that's what they're there for - Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to kl2002 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 09:48 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl2002 View Post
I would report both the found kitten and the situation to your local ASPCA/animal control. Tell them the truth and keep a detailed record of everything (including treatment, phone calls, etc) to date that has happened.

And thank you for caring so much about this kitten. Get the authorities involved because that's what they're there for - Good luck!
The problem is she cannot report the "owners" since she has NO actual proof other than what others have told her. Better to stick with what you actually know rather than reporting rumors.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 AM

very
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
babynicksmom has posted more than 200 great deals!babynicksmom has posted more than 200 great deals!babynicksmom has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl2002 View Post

I honestly don't agree with getting the authorities involved because I tried to do the right thing one time when I had a stray coming into my yard and attacking my cats.
I called animal control about it, they told me that they don't trap and catch cats. And it was up to me to catch him. And if I didn't then I had to either take it to them, or put it in a container that they could keep.

So that is why I don' hold the authorities high up on my respect list.
Also as far as the police goes, I don't trust them very much either.
I had an issue of a stalker a few years ago, had all the proof that it was her. She even left her name on some of the notes. but when I called the police they wouldn't do anything.
I even got a restraining order against her, she violated it and I had proof they still wouldn't do anything.

We moved and the attacks stopped.
So that is why i don't hold any authority figures high up on my list.
I would rather take care of things myself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babynicksmom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 PM

My Mood/Status:
I actually do have proof almost all the neighbors have been feeding and flea treating the other cat and when the owner called me last night she confirmed everyones story and said they left it outside because it was old and they didnt want it to die in there house???? come on now who says that pets are suppose to be like your children. She told me to keep it and thats what I intend to do..Iam not backing down from this....
(15)
(13):
9and 6

:
The Following User Says Thank You to 5forme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 10:05 PM

Grounded for Life

krazycouponlady90 has posted more than 100 good deals!krazycouponlady90 has posted more than 100 good deals!
I would keep it.
I would take him/her to the vet to get it looked at and have the vet give him/her vaccines,rabies shot and look into getting him/her fixed.

I have a male and female cat and they were both fixed before I got them and they had all of there shots when they were fixed.

I also have a male cat that has adopted us...he is very friendly,very talkative and whoever has him is not taking care of him because he is skinny.

I have noticed that he is starting to gain weight since I started feeding him. He pretty much stays in our yard...he is outside begging for food every morning. Poor thing!

Last edited by krazycouponlady90; 10-22-2011 at 10:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to krazycouponlady90 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 11:05 PM

Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
This is a sad and heartbreaking story to hear.
However, legally you can not just keep the cat because it wondered to your house from your neighbors' house. The cat belongs to someone. Whether we think they are neglectful is irrelevant. We can't take possession and keep someone else's property (legally cats/dogs/etc. are property) because in our opinion the owner is neglectful/incapable/non-deserving of said property.
I'm sure there are other avenues to explore - the city, animal control, humane society, etc. I would start there. They have the knowledge, resources and legal ways to remove neglected animals.

The owner has contacted you and demanded the cat be returned. Unless you are interested in courts/lawsuits/possible police involvement, you should return the cat to it's rightful owners.
And in small claims cases, the person who found an animal, spent money on medications/vets/food and refused to return the animal will NOT be compensated for the expense.

You should have taken the cat to the humane society/animal shelter. There would have been a legal waiting period for the owner (the cat would be taken care of, of course). If no owner is found during that period, then the shelter will follow local ordinances and put the cat up for adoption. That would be the time to become the new lawful owner of the cat.
It is hard to think of pets as property. I understand your feelings and emotions completely. But, there is a law and it has to be followed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dannae7 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 11:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
bowsofvelvet has posted more than 50 good deals
Call your local humane society. I used to be the director of Animal Control (in Illinois)...the law read that that if you harbor and feed an animal...you are responsible for the animal...stray animals must be reported to local animal agencies as found...then it is 7-10 days for owner to reclaim (depending if it had a tag or not). I would have it vet checked...rabies vaccination...and then ask for all fees (vet, food, litter, etc.) before ever releasing it back. This will discourage them...they are NOT going to pay for fees you have paid. If they threaten to call police or take you to court...let them. If they don't take care of their pets, they certainly will NOT pay for any expenses...let alone court fees!!! Each state varries in their animal regulations and laws. Check your state stray pet laws. I bet the kitty is a happy camper without all those worms and fleas!!! Bless you for taking care of the little fur-friend!! What a lucky kitty!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bowsofvelvet For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 11:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
MnMomma22 has posted more than 25 good deals
If the owners kitten wandered to your house covered in fleas and in bad shape and this person called and said it was theirs, than it would not be a rumor when reporting it. If the owner was not neglecting their cats it would not be in bad condition and they could call the authorities and would have paperwork of some kind to show that it is their kitten. So if they do not have anything from a vet or a shelter to show ownership, then is it legally theirs? They have no proof, there are stray cats everywhere. They would have done that if they were responsible owners.

If it was me i would keep it and report them. People that treat animals like that make me furious. If you dont want to care for something then you dont have to own it. Just my personal opinion. I spend quite a bit of time at animal shelters donating and volunteering and I think you did the right thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to MnMomma22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 07:30 AM

My Mood/Status:
Iam keeping it! When she called me I threatened to call the humane society on her about her other cats and she got mad and told me just to keep it so technically she gave me the go ahead. I really dont care about the money I always have extra pet meds and such just for these types of situations. Such as flea treatment and earmite med and so on. Because Iam that person you see stopping my car to get out and make sure if I saw a cat in the road I shew it off. Iam a true cat lover(not crazy cat lady).And would help every stray I could if possible.
(15)
(13):
9and 6

:
Old 10-23-2011, 07:39 AM

My Mood/Status:
TheShyOne22 has posted more than 50 good deals
God bless you! Too bad the other two cats can't be taken away from those people. I would do the same thing as you. If the owner backed down when you threatened to report them, they won't do a thing. They know they are in the wrong. I just feel for the other pets.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheShyOne22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 07:45 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShyOne22 View Post
God bless you! Too bad the other two cats can't be taken away from those people. I would do the same thing as you. If the owner backed down when you threatened to report them, they won't do a thing. They know they are in the wrong. I just feel for the other pets.
I know but there is an upside to the other pets the neighbors over there have been feeding the other two and giving them flea treatment and a warm place in there garage for the kitties to sleep..So this whole thing with me isnt new because this has been going on for sometime and the neighbors have been taking care of the others. I will see how this pans out in the next week or so then Iam going to call the humane society because when I talked to the lady she said she was going to start taking care of the other two so we will see.
(15)
(13):
9and 6

:
Old 10-23-2011, 07:45 AM

Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I don't have strong thoughts about keeping the cat one way or another. But I do want to encourage you to think about your logic behind the decision to call and report her for abuse.

I think it's valid to call them because you are concerned about the health of the animals currently in her care. Or it's maybe valid not to get involved.

I think it's less honorable to threaten to call them if you don't get to keep the one cat. Either you think it's right to report the ones being abused based on the evidence you have, or you don't. Revenge for not getting your way shouldn't figure into that decision - that crosses a little bit into blackmail, vs. doing what's right just because it's the right thing to do.

I don't know the right answer and I'd support whatever decision you think is best, as long as your ethics behind making that decision are coming from the right place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jakejake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakejake View Post
I don't have strong thoughts about keeping the cat one way or another. But I do want to encourage you to think about your logic behind the decision to call and report her for abuse.

I think it's valid to call them because you are concerned about the health of the animals currently in her care. Or it's maybe valid not to get involved.

I think it's less honorable to threaten to call them if you don't get to keep the one cat. Either you think it's right to report the ones being abused based on the evidence you have, or you don't. Revenge for not getting your way shouldn't figure into that decision - that crosses a little bit into blackmail, vs. doing what's right just because it's the right thing to do.

I don't know the right answer and I'd support whatever decision you think is best, as long as your ethics behind making that decision are coming from the right place.
Well I belive in giving people the chance to make things right and it wasnt a threat it was a promise but she said she was going to bring them in and take care of them so Iam giving her that chance.. But I see this all the time people love kittens but for some stupid reason they think they never grow to be cats and there for they are no longer fun and cute and they end up outside and neglected.
(15)
(13):
9and 6

: