What Food Do You Feed Your Cat/dog?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 10:43 AM

RE: What food do you feed your cat/dog?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
debbiepeter has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!debbiepeter has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!debbiepeter has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!debbiepeter has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!debbiepeter has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!debbiepeter has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!debbiepeter has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!debbiepeter has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!debbiepeter has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!debbiepeter has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!debbiepeter has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have 1 Himalayian kitty. All she eats is the hairball formula Science diet and the occasional friskies appetizers and canned science diet foods
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 01:03 AM

My Mood/Status:
JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd09 View Post
No problem. I find a lot of vets don't bother to tell anyone about nutrition or litter. I get so aggravated when they recommend Science Diet because it's truly no better than supermarket brand. I prefer World's Best Cat Litter personally but it's hard to find in non-pet stores. I know Walmart sells Feline Pine and Fresh Step's saw dust looking stuff. It's a corn based scoopable litter. I get the original as it's not scented but does well with odor control. You can get a free bag with a MIR right now: World's Best Cat Litter™ Feline Pine has coupons on their website as well.
I picked up some Worlds Best we're going to try it this weekend! I was shocked when I found that out about Science Diet....about 10yrs ago my vet was going over what I fed the cats and dogs....and she said, ya know if you're going to feed them science diet you mind as well feed them Purina and save yourself a few bucks....I'm also not a fan of Iams, about 6yrs ago there were some videos released by Peta that an undercover agent had taken in Iams research lab and it was disgusting. But anyways I couldn't be happier about Blue Buffalo...even if it's crazy expensive....and I'm excited to try the Worlds Best litter....I'll report back
Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 AM

My Mood/Status:
scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneF78 View Post
I picked up some Worlds Best we're going to try it this weekend! I was shocked when I found that out about Science Diet....about 10yrs ago my vet was going over what I fed the cats and dogs....and she said, ya know if you're going to feed them science diet you mind as well feed them Purina and save yourself a few bucks....I'm also not a fan of Iams, about 6yrs ago there were some videos released by Peta that an undercover agent had taken in Iams research lab and it was disgusting. But anyways I couldn't be happier about Blue Buffalo...even if it's crazy expensive....and I'm excited to try the Worlds Best litter....I'll report back
Great! I think you'll like it. It's virtually dust-free.

Iams wasn't a great food to begin with but it got even worse after P&G bought them. So far, P&G hasn't ruined Natura yet but they've only owned the company for a little over a year now. They're apparently keeping Natura separate from their Pet Care division. I suppose we'll see and I'll be ready to stop buying their products if they disappoint.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 AM

My Mood/Status:
JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Great! I think you'll like it. It's virtually dust-free.

Iams wasn't a great food to begin with but it got even worse after P&G bought them. So far, P&G hasn't ruined Natura yet but they've only owned the company for a little over a year now. They're apparently keeping Natura separate from their Pet Care division. I suppose we'll see and I'll be ready to stop buying their products if they disappoint.
Dust free sounds good to me....I'm a little nervous with my 1yr old I've never switched litter on him, besides when I had them using the Yesterdays news pellets temporarily after he was front declawed (I know this is a hot button subject for many, so please if it offends anyone I don't need the facts/statistics or to be lectured, I'm well aware, but unfortunately when it comes to either having him declawed or giving him up I pick declaw...if it makes a difference I did have it done with the laser and he had no behavior changes afterwards...he's a very happy well adjusted little boy...and he still adores the vet to this day)...so I hope he's a good boy for me....My older boy I've switched on him a few times, he doesn't mind, so I'm pretty sure we'll have no isses
Old 09-30-2011, 01:56 AM

My Mood/Status:
scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneF78 View Post
Dust free sounds good to me....I'm a little nervous with my 1yr old I've never switched litter on him, besides when I had them using the Yesterdays news pellets temporarily after he was front declawed (I know this is a hot button subject for many, so please if it offends anyone I don't need the facts/statistics or to be lectured, I'm well aware, but unfortunately when it comes to either having him declawed or giving him up I pick declaw...if it makes a difference I did have it done with the laser and he had no behavior changes afterwards...he's a very happy well adjusted little boy...and he still adores the vet to this day)...so I hope he's a good boy for me....My older boy I've switched on him a few times, he doesn't mind, so I'm pretty sure we'll have no isses
My cat is declawed as well. I wish she wasn't. I wouldn't have done it. If you get another cat, check out these: Alternatives to Declawing, Nail Caps for Cats. They're recommended as an alternative to declawing. They're apparently quite good and cute as well! "Deep Digital Flexor Tendonectomy" is also an alternative to declawing. It prevents the cat from extending the claws and has a quicker recovery time (2 days vs 7 days), less risky, and is less painful.

Not lecturing, just throwing it out there. Maybe someone will read it and think twice. ;P
The Following User Says Thank You to scottd09 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2011, 02:13 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
My cat is declawed as well. I wish she wasn't. I wouldn't have done it. If you get another cat, check out these: Alternatives to Declawing, Nail Caps for Cats. They're recommended as an alternative to declawing. They're apparently quite good and cute as well! "Deep Digital Flexor Tendonectomy" is also an alternative to declawing. It prevents the cat from extending the claws and has a quicker recovery time (2 days vs 7 days), less risky, and is less painful.

Not lecturing, just throwing it out there. Maybe someone will read it and think twice. ;P
I just meant I know some people get very upset about declawing, and I don't like to be accused of being a horrible cat mom...because I'm not! My cats would tell you if they could I did look in to the caps, and the tendonectomy....but to be completely honest....with the laser declaw the recovery time was so minimal....No bandages...no stitches (glue)...he came home the next day bouncing off the walls like he normally does...I had to chase him around trying to convince him to quit jumping off and on everything. I can honestly say he behaved as if nothing ever happened. Now I'm not endorsing or encouraging declaw...but if it has to be done for whatever reasons...the laser declaw is by far the way to go, it does cost a bit more, but it's worth it. When I was a kid my mom had our cat declawed....it was terrible the poor baby girl was in a lot of pain...she ended up being an awesome cat, no long term problems from it and lived until 17 until I had to get her put down due to very advanced dementia....

My cats are and always will be strictly indoor cats....there are way to many mean people out in the world....and bad drivers for me to ever allow my babies to roam around. (I live in a suburb)
Old 10-15-2011, 08:20 AM

excited about Mega Sale 7/13!

My Mood/Status:
Candice88 has posted more than 200 great deals!Candice88 has posted more than 200 great deals!Candice88 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I feed my dog Innova and she has always done great on it. Sometimes when we get samples of other high quality foods we will mix those in, to supplement new nutrition or just new flavors. There never seems to be a great way to save on it though, once a year you can request coupons. Last year they did some free giveaways and that was great! The store I buy it at now puts out random 10-15% any regular priced item in their newsletter, so I use that when it is out to save a little. Even thought it is about 55 a bag it is totally worth it because I have never had any health problems and her coat is super soft and shiny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Living and loving with my SO and our wonderful puppy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:28 AM

hail24 has posted more than 5 good deals
I used Meow Mix for my cats because anything else they have really bad gas... and the meow mix makes there fur extra soft!
For our puppy we used Kibbles and Bits its the ONLY thing she will eat! (which shes a farm dog and eats anything and everything on the farm., but is so dang picky with food) shes silly!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:23 PM

My Mood/Status:
lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!
We feed our guys Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. It is a little expensive $40 for a 36 pound bag and since it is a very high quality food they eat less of it.That is the only food our oldest has eaten (he just turned 9) and he still runs around like a 4 yr old. It is just a shame they don't have coupons for it
My cat hated Chicken Soup for cats so she is on purina one and she loves it.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:58 PM

Grounded for Life

conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Our blacky is 14 has always eaten what we eat and name brand canned foods our tinker is ? a rescue almost dead and had joint and intestinal problem he cant eat chicken gives him the runs so its our food -chef micheals and little ceaser tonight we had new york strip steak. Cats only 1 old 12 cat she gets friskies canned and dry along with our foods
yesterday they had cavellini in meat sauce so did the big birds cockatoos and mcaws the
birds eat bird food mix acording to thier species buy 50# bags -peanuts-mixed nuts- meats and pastas with us -lots of fruits and veggis dried apples- mangos and bannanas.
cawliflower-broccolli-carrots-squash-celery-spinach-potatoes love sweet potatoes-peas corn on the cob 7 bushels in the freezer for winter-apples grapes- cherries -bananas-strawberries-blueberrys-oranges-mangos- whole grain breads and peanut butter sandwiches. all the indoor pets are healthy but the stray cats have had problems since the gas well drillers drilled the wells up back im sure the streams are contaminated.
plus all the wildlife is gone now no squirrills or rabbits chipmonks birds just left our area.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:36 AM

My Mood/Status:
couponcort has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!couponcort has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!couponcort has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!couponcort has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!couponcort has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!couponcort has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!couponcort has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!couponcort has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!couponcort has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!couponcort has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!couponcort has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I used to feed my dogs Wellness because it's got good stats, reviews, and the 1st ingredient is actual chicken. Also, it was recommended to me by the rescue organization. But it's like $55 dollars a bag!! Then I found the Kirkland brand was just as good as Wellness and 1/2 the price. I forget the name, but it's $25 or $26 and the first ingredient is a meat, depending on what kind I get.

No coupons for either that I know of.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:04 AM

devinesl has posted more than 200 great deals!devinesl has posted more than 200 great deals!devinesl has posted more than 200 great deals!
My dogs and cats both eat Taste of the Wild. It is expensive, but it lasts longer because it fills them up so they eat less. They also don't throw it up so there aren't messes to clean up all the time.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 AM

Happiness is...puppy kisses x2!

My Mood/Status:
StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Our pup eats Nutro. I tried to switch him over to a less expensive dog food (before seeing this thread a while back) but even doing the switch very slowly made him sick and he had uncontrollable runs for days. I switched him back to the Nutro after about the third day and he's been fine ever since. I'll just buck up and pay the higher price!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:05 PM

My Mood/Status:
ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I feed my 3 dogs (husky mix, husky, and Australian shepherd mix) science diet. You gotta make sure the 1st ingredient is some type of meat/protein.

Cheap food is full of fillers mostly and therefore your animal makes more dodo...

Working mommy to 7yr old
and 1yr
;
Mr. Jericho(8) and Ms. River Song(4m)
and
Big Cody(doggy heaven 12/13/11)
Slick Nick (doggy heaven 6/10/14)

Old 10-18-2011, 12:33 PM

My Mood/Status:
A few things I think are important to avoid are: "meat", "meat meal", "animal protein", and "by products".

Science Diet is actually just as bad as store brand. It is utterly disgusting how many veterinarians push it.

Cat Food Glossary
Dog Food Glossary
Old 10-18-2011, 01:37 PM

My Mood/Status:
mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
my 3 dogs eat Purina dog chow..... all 250 pounds of them. The 2 cats eat Purina one sensitive stomach.... if not Sutton (aka grandpa... aka Mr. stinky britches) has the squirts.....his poop stinks no mater what he eats...the vet commented that it smelled like the Trinity river here in DFW.

litter box we use the Breeze system
Old 10-31-2011, 10:22 PM

Supporting Member

jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I feed my furkids the best food I can afford. That said, I tend to rotate food based upon what I can get cheap. Currently, my dogs are eating a combination of AvoDerm and Science Diet Ideal Balance. Before that they were eating Eukanuba and Nutro. My cats are getting Nutro and Authority.

I do animal rescue, though, so I care for a lot of animals. We go through about 25 lbs. a week of dog food and around 10 lbs. a week of cat food. At these amounts, cost is a big factor. Thankfully, with the help of coupons I've been able to keep everyone fed pretty decent diets on a low budget.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:09 AM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Right now my kitten is getting authority brand catfood, because I managed to get TONS free recently.

(I also donated about 40lbs)

The puppy is finishing off a bag of puppy chow.

The two big dogs, my grandfather fed science diet little bites (teacup and toy dogs) but honestly all of them are expensive garbage, especially the science diet.

I did some research and after we run out, both varieties of animals will be getting chicken soup for the dog/cat brand. It's REALLY good and much cheaper.

My mother uses Friskies which is nutritionally speaking, also garbage but since she feeds strays too, It's budget friendly for her.

My boyfriends dog eats Iams naturals or something, or else the dog throws up everywhere.

I'm a
who is a
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act
Old 11-05-2011, 04:22 AM

My Mood/Status:
Dottielee has posted more than 50 good deals
Lots of animal lovers here....nice I fed my animals science diet for years but recently switched my cats over to Taste of the Wild. My chi had terrible seizures & I switched her to Natural Balance and started cooking fresh chicken & veggies for her. She hasn't had a seizure in 3 years. The reason I made the switch was to go glueten free. Holistic vet said the wheat glueten caused seizures.....the change has worked for us! My small dogs love the Natural Balance small bites! It's expensive but worth it for them.

BTW, vegetarians live longer and have less health issues!
Old 11-05-2011, 04:52 AM

My Mood/Status:
lola_rz has posted more than 25 good deals
I have 3 dogs that I love so much. At first I had them eating pedigree and purina. We would spend money on canned food even the little bags of beef. They would rather eat diapers, literally! Or I'd find them at my neighbors eating dry dog food. We decided to buy them big bags of dry dog food. Which saved us some $$. They wouldn't eat it. I would end up giving it away. One day I stopped by dollar general and found a small bag (3.5 lbs. I believe) for a great price. They love it. It's Everpet in a red bag. Tiny pebbles I guess is what they like. I get the big bag for $4.75 which is an awesome price. No complaints on my part. Wonder if there's a coupon for that!!
Old 11-25-2011, 03:52 PM

My Mood/Status:
Dterrill07 has posted more than 10 good deals
We use Iams..It works for our family.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:52 PM

My Mood/Status:
cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
My cat eats Purina ONE Beyond. My dogs eat a brand found at Tractor Supply called 4 Health.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:57 PM

too blessed to be stressed

My Mood/Status:
catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Fyi Cat

I used to feed my cat Purina One.....but since we got so much FREE Purina One Beyond....she eats that and really likes it! She has to wait for her Grandma to visit to bring her "treats"
Old 11-25-2011, 05:00 PM

My Mood/Status:
cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
A few things I think are important to avoid are: "meat", "meat meal", "animal protein", and "by products".

Science Diet is actually just as bad as store brand. It is utterly disgusting how many veterinarians push it.

Cat Food Glossary
Dog Food Glossary
I couldn't agree more! My mom has fed her dog Science Diet for years! DogFoodAdvisor.com gives it 2 out of 5 stars! The first ingredient is WATER! Ugh...

I researched dog foods for months before I got my Lab. They ate Blue Buffalo and Canidae for the first 3 years. When my DH lost his job, I had to find a cheaper food but didn't want to skimp on the quality. I'm very pleased with the 4 Health brand (4 out of 5 stars). Neither of my dogs are picky, but, I am.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:51 PM

My Mood/Status:
schmutzen has posted more than 50 good deals
I feed Wysong. It was the best decision I ever made for my Animals.
Go on their webpage, educate yourself, get a free catalog and sign up for the "100 Pet Health Truths".
You will be surprised, I promise!!!