Dog Scratching And Licking His Paws

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Missing you all
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Dog scratching and licking his paws

My 4 yr old Maltise has been scratching and licking his paws so bad....and no fleas...at first I thought it was a change in his food...but then when I looked I don't belive this but I have posted the same questions last year the exact day, whats the odds of that happening, so that I think answer's my question, it has to be allergies...right??? I gave him an oatmeal bath, didn't work.....still scratching.....red spots on him.... I was looking on the internet and I see they have some type of pill scratchize, I think that was the name of it..anyone try this..??? I'am giving him Benadryl (generic) not sure if that is helping...trying to save on a vet bill....any other suggestions or what I can give him to stop.....
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 08:54 PM

RE: Dog scratching and licking his paws

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
princessinsuwanee has posted more than 200 great deals!princessinsuwanee has posted more than 200 great deals!princessinsuwanee has posted more than 200 great deals!
It is allergies, sounds like. Benadryl is the key, but it takes a couple days for it to really get into their system. Keep giving it, just be consistent in your times of dosing to get it going and on it's way to working. Hate to hear that, doggies and their problems always tug at my heart strings! Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to princessinsuwanee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 PM

My Mood/Status:
mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Dog Paw Licking and what you can do about it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickie333 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2011, 09:08 PM

Missing you all
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickie333 View Post
Thanks for the link
Old 09-14-2011, 09:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
If your animal is not in horrible distress, try home remedies first. Also we use to get alot of things from our Farm and Fleet store, saved thousands on Vet bills between horses, dogs and cats. Simple things, eye infections etc.. We had alot of animals years ago!
The Following User Says Thank You to mickie333 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2011, 09:16 PM

My Mood/Status:
Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
My chi was scratching himself raw. Tried bathing him first, then oatmeal bath and benedryl. Nothing seemed to help. Went to Petsmart and got some hydrocortisone lotion and rubbed that all over his belly and into his hair on his lower back where he seemed to scratch more. Maybe only because the other areas he can't reach. It has helped soooo much. I have used it twice a day for about 3 days now and he doesn't have any sores or scabs. He had tiny ones beginning when this all started. Taking him to the vet, but this is getting him by until then. The lotion is 9 bucks, but has been well worth it.

Good luck to you and your four legged baby. I hope you figure out something that helps.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:11 AM

Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP...

houston mcneal has posted more than 50 good deals
It could be his food . My dog is allergic to corn and that was what he was doing ( check your label ) the Purina Beyond has no corn in it . It might be worth a try .
The Following User Says Thank You to houston mcneal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2011, 09:18 PM

My Mood/Status:
2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
It is probably allergies..my mini Eskie is having a horrible time this season. I work for a vet and the prednisone is flying out of the office with allergy season.. If you try benedryl with a Maltese use childrens and only a 1/2 of tablet..you may want to visit the vet and get a perscription the medication is not really expensive but the side affects with prednisone are increased appetite and urination..
The Following User Says Thank You to 2blacklabs For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2011, 01:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I agree that it sounds like allergies. My 14 year old dog was doing the same thing. We tried the oatmeal baths and benadryl. Neither helped so we took him to the vet. He gave him a shot. It took a couple of days to work but now he is "itch free." Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to CasieMcCann For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2011, 05:14 AM

Missing you all
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Thanks ALL....have an appt at the vets this morning, still scratching a lot, and I have tired almost everything, thanks all for your advice......will let you know....
Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 AM

My Mood/Status:
mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
try cooking chicken for him instead of dog food. it is likely allergies. you can get a whole chicken and have food for almost a week.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 AM

drowning in free shampoo!

My Mood/Status:
mudbug31 has posted more than 25 good deals
Just make sure he doesn't get any chicken bones! Good luck!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 AM

is truly blessed!!

My Mood/Status:
preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Any update yet? We went through this with Diamond earlier this summer (she's a 4 yr old Bichon) and we found out that whatever the lawn care company was using in the grass, was irritating her paws. We put booties on her feet when she goes out, and the licking and biting her paws stopped.
Go ahead......
Say something!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:24 AM

Brutuses has posted more than 200 great deals!Brutuses has posted more than 200 great deals!Brutuses has posted more than 200 great deals!
Hope it's food allergy as that is the easiest to control. My Brutus is on Science Diet Z/D prescription food and he loves it and he's stopped scratching and licking completely. His allergy starts in his ears and he begins shaking his head. That's how I know the allergy is back. I'm keeping him on the Z/D since he does so well with that. Dogs are mostly allergic to wheat and corn and sometimes beef. Brutus gets some chicken and vegggie's from the table but nothing else but his Z/D. If it is food allergy remember to buy allergy biscuits/treats also.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
My dog is allergic to grass. His feet are horrible during the spring and summer.

We have to give daily doses of children's benadryl. It is 1miligram per pound. It can take several days for it to start working fully.

This could be a food allergy as well. I would suggest looking for a higher quality food like Wellness or Merrick.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:19 PM

My Mood/Status:
brambos has posted more than 25 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drea View Post
My 4 yr old Maltise has been scratching and licking his paws so bad....and no fleas...at first I thought it was a change in his food...but then when I looked I don't belive this but I have posted the same questions last year the exact day, whats the odds of that happening, so that I think answer's my question, it has to be allergies...right??? I gave him an oatmeal bath, didn't work.....still scratching.....red spots on him.... I was looking on the internet and I see they have some type of pill scratchize, I think that was the name of it..anyone try this..??? I'am giving him Benadryl (generic) not sure if that is helping...trying to save on a vet bill....any other suggestions or what I can give him to stop.....
Just want to be sure to let you know if you continue to give any like Benedryl to dogs it will make their teeth come out. My Brussels Griffon had allergies that bless her heart about made me cry as she scratched herself to bleeding. I did everything from shamppos to dips. Sprayed yard, carpet. I tried it all. Finally, I changed Vets. That was the key. New Vet said stop it all and go to Selsun Blue medicated formula. Now my Griff looks like a new baby but missing a lot of teeth. That was the side effect from taking so much benedryl over the years trying to help her not claw herself so much - prior vets told me to give her. She is so much happier now and prettier and says thank you! I buy Beneful reg and Taste of the WIld fish, mixing together both in dry form. A little wet food as snacks when I am eating, I just share my stuff as spoonfuls. I do give Greenies daily. Even if she had to gum it to death, she loves them. So much Benedryl also has blinded her. She was born in '02.

I hope yours will be ok quickly and this helps you. My old vet was about ready to put my furbaby down.... I wasn't ready for that!

ps Powder your yard for fungus. Get it at Home Depot. It is real cheap. Your furbaby will be so much better real soon.

Last edited by brambos; 10-02-2011 at 01:22 PM.