Fleas?! Help Please!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 05:52 PM
9/22 I had a BEAUTIFUL baby girl!

My Mood/Status:
misticmimic has posted more than 100 good deals!misticmimic has posted more than 100 good deals!
Fleas?! Help please!

Ok, my wonderful boyfriend *keeps reminding self of that* spent the past month in TN with his doxie visiting his ex wife and mainly his 5 year old son. He and his ex are still friends and she got informed she had 2 weeks to get out and she couldn't find a place to allow their two dogs. So Dominick asks can he bring them both home, not a problem. He arrived home at 4 this morning and was like we need to bathe them all and wash their beds before we go to bed. Ok, why the rush on that we have slept with all 7 of the other dogs before without having to necessarily bathe them right before bed. Here's the kicker. . . they apparently had a flea infestation down there in the apt building.

I live in MT, I don't deal with fleas. Our winters are too cold to keep them alive so this is new territory. They had baths with flea shampoo, we washed all their beds, I boiled and then froze the doggy bowls and bones/chew toys he brought home with them. They are now thawing and we bought some stuff to put on the dogs to keep them from itching as Lily has scratched all the fur off her bottom. My question is now what do I do? I've never had to deal with fleas before, the 3 dogs that he brought back have been treated and the other 6 were kept in a different part of the house today. I'm just paranoid about flea collars because 5 pound full grown dogs I've been told it can cause health problems.

Two acres of land and it's going to be a long time until it gets below zero here to kill them off if I can't get them under control. I know I'm probably overly paranoid about things but these are our children as I can't have the 2 legged variety so I thought I'd ask for advice from all of my fellow animal lovers.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 08:10 PM

RE: Fleas?! Help please!

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
iiartisanii has posted more than 25 good deals
I would put them all on some sort of flea treatment, like Frontline, Advantage or K9 Advantix. Stay away from the cheaper alternatives as they've been the cause of many problems. You can buy the biggest size and split it between the animals if money is an issue. The topical treatment will help prevent the fleas from breeding and therefore infesting your home, especially in an area where fleas haven't built up an immunity to the chemicals.

If you think you have them in your home or yard, you can dust with diatomaceous earth, which you can get at a feed store or Home Depot. The food grade DE is safe to use around animals. It will dry out the fleas and their eggs (and other bugs too) preventing them from reproducing.

We live in CA where fleas are a year round problem. I keep my dogs on a prescription flea med from the vet called Comfortis which seems to work well. I may find an errant flea on my dogs when I groom them but its not really a big deal as long as they are on the medication. I vacuum frequently and we have never had a problem with them in our house.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:15 PM

liltexan has posted more than 200 great deals!liltexan has posted more than 200 great deals!liltexan has posted more than 200 great deals!
We have had a horrible flea problem...even ask the vet he said as long as we have stray cats, birds and squirrels we can't do much. I have the fur babies on frontline, flea collars and give them a flea bath after about 3 wks of frontline dosage(I did check with my vet about this being ok), we have an exterminator come out once a month and I STILL have fleas, it's crazy. Bout all I can add is I read somewhere that you can shake table salt on your carpets let it set and then vaccum. Your lucky with your weather (I think I'm a southern girl ) but here in Mo its a perfect breeding ground for them uggg
Old 08-28-2011, 12:09 AM

2011: 52% overall savings

My Mood/Status:
Mulligans has posted more than 150 good deals!Mulligans has posted more than 150 good deals!
Borax soap powder is sprinkled around the edges of all the rooms (it won't hurt the critters or kids), let sit 24 hrs, then vaccuum & toss the bag. We don't have regular fleas here in CO- just sand fleas, but it works good on them as well. We used it for regular fleas when we lived outside of DC and it was great. I've put it in the cars & trucks then vacuumed it up after transporting rescue animals.

Diatomaceous earth as another poster mentioned for outdoors is great. It doesn't dry them out- it slices the flea/tick/ant/beetle exoskeletons and kills them. Have to reapply it after it rains I discovered. Back east it was easy to find, here not so much, but it can be ordered online if your local garden or spa stores don't have it.

When I was grooming dogs & cats, we strictly used lemon-scented Joy liquid dish soap (no other scent, no other brand) as a flea shampoo. It was safer to use than the Rx stuff and just as effective. We groomed a bus-load of dogs from the Missouri puppy mills that were transported to CO and it took care of the fleas right away. You can always use an oatmeal spray to sooth their skin if they're uncomfortable. My grooming buddy swore by cornstarch for the red areas but I haven't personally tried it.

Frontline is very effective. Getting your property straightened out shouldn't be an issue though- use the DE if you can find it, borax the rooms, Joy, and wait for winter to kill the rest off.

Good luck and thanks for taking in the critters!

-- Jo
Old 08-28-2011, 02:03 AM

mamamadecouture has posted more than 200 great deals!mamamadecouture has posted more than 200 great deals!mamamadecouture has posted more than 200 great deals!
BEST ever... Vinegar!!! Works amazing and super safe doesn't smell the best while putting it on but goes away after AND really works well! Hth
Old 08-28-2011, 04:58 AM

My Mood/Status:
mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
advantix works very well you can get it at 1800petmeds.com they also have coupon codes for $5 off and usually have free shipping. i have an extra code if you need it. it kills all fleas within 24 hours.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:17 AM

My Mood/Status:
kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!
Capstar pills kill the fleas immediately that are on the dog. Someone also told me to put a little garlic powder on their food and it will repel fleas.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:55 AM

sux being stalked & harassed!!
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
totally do the drops on the back of their neck if fleas are on the dogs, that's the only thing that works. (farm supply stores usually sell that stuff cheaper than a vet; i dunno if it's cheaper online or not)

if fleas are in your house from the dogs, this is weird, but it works & it's free

get something shallow, with sides that are not very tall (like a lid from margarine container or a jelly jar lid)

put warm, soapy h2o in it & set them in the area where the fleas are & in the corners of the room.

yeah i know; sounds weird & hokey, but after a couple hrs you'll see bunches of dead ones in there- i think they sense the heat, jump in thinking it's something to eat and the soap makes them unable to get back out. as long as it's still hot out, this should work all day long.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metalmama1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2011, 06:34 AM

too blessed to be stressed

My Mood/Status:
catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Fyi At night

I have done the same thing as Metalmama1 - but I do it at night. I use a shallow white baking pan - like corning and fill with water and a little dish soap. Put the dish soap in after putting about an inch of water....you don't want bubbles. Something about the soap does something to the surface tension of the water so the fleas jump in and cannot get out and drown. I put this out at night with a lamp or some sort of light over the pan. The fleas are attracted to the light. We took in a neighbors dog when she was in the hospital/nursing home and had the same problem.

I also use the D-earth....I put it around my stockpile food to kill other bugs and I have put it around my doors right now as the cockroaches all seem to be out looking for a place to get in!!!

I also put the dog on those drops on his neck....but all this other will help rid what fleas you have inside the house. Good Luck!!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:10 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
First off I have lots of friends who have tried the Walmart version of Frontline and it works with no problems. I would do the following and have done this when I have had a dog that had fleas. 1) Take animals to get a bath somewhere - not a flea dip since you will treat them with the frontlline stuff before going home 2) set off flea bombs in your home (while dogs are getting baths) 3) Get a bottle of Adams flea shampoo and put some in a yard sprayer 1 tablespoon per gallon of water and spray your entire yard. That should get rid of all fleas. Make sure to respray your yard especially around neighboring properties once a month.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:33 AM

My Mood/Status:
fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I noticed a suggestion on garlic powder, please whatever you do DONT do this. Garlic can be toxic to dogs especially small ones. Some dogs may not react while others die very quickly. As far as fleas, Comfortis is good, Frontline is amazing and the cheap off the shelf stuff at Walmart type places suck. Tractor Supply carries Frontline no script needed for usually cheaper than the vets. Dont try to divide a container meant for a bigger dog though since you cant accuratly measure dose. And all dogs in the house must be treated or the fleas will migrate.
The Following User Says Thank You to fairysaver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2011, 08:48 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
We had a terrible flea problem this year for the first time ever. I don't do the flea collars because of the burn it can cause on their neck. My sister said the comparable walmart brand works just fine. But Pets mart also has a new cheaper flea meds called Fiproguard with the exact ingredients as Frontline for around $20-$25 that I used. If you read the directions you can use it every week for 4 weeks per dog to get rid of the fleas, eggs, etc. You want to wash all the bedding clothes etc that they have been on. Also I had to get can of spray for my couches, chairs etc at Pets Mart. Spray and vaccum and empty the vaccum cleaner into a trashbag tied up and put out in the trashbins incase the eggs hatched while in there. I did this about 3 times a week. Then I bought the cheap flea spray from walmart that you spray on your dogs "Adams" and sprayed on my couch at night covered them with extra sheets and took them off and washed them the next day. Now I am glad to say we are finally flea free. It's very aggravating and time consuming but I just couldn't stand it!! We have spread out sevendust on our yard too to be on the safe side until colder weather.

“Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, drink in the other
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO HOO what a ride!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 PM

9/22 I had a BEAUTIFUL baby girl!

My Mood/Status:
misticmimic has posted more than 100 good deals!misticmimic has posted more than 100 good deals!
Thanks to everyone. We think we might have the issue under control. I have used lots of different products and the luxury of a flea free home I think is doable. I know one of the dogs is still scratching a lot, but everyone seems to be OK otherwise. The dogs are all getting along for the most part with the exception of food bowls. This really wasn't nearly as bad as I was thinking it would be.

I have done more laundry than I ever imagined in the past couple days was possible to do.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:04 PM

RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmama1 View Post
totally do the drops on the back of their neck if fleas are on the dogs, that's the only thing that works. (farm supply stores usually sell that stuff cheaper than a vet; i dunno if it's cheaper online or not)

if fleas are in your house from the dogs, this is weird, but it works & it's free

get something shallow, with sides that are not very tall (like a lid from margarine container or a jelly jar lid)

put warm, soapy h2o in it & set them in the area where the fleas are & in the corners of the room.

yeah i know; sounds weird & hokey, but after a couple hrs you'll see bunches of dead ones in there- i think they sense the heat, jump in thinking it's something to eat and the soap makes them unable to get back out. as long as it's still hot out, this should work all day long.
We adopted several kitties from an animal shelter. Ended up with fleas this summer. Finally under control. We do bathe them with flea soap monthly...wait a few days, then Advantage or Frontline them. My husband bought shallow plastic trays. He filled them with water and just a tiny bit of dish soap. At first we put a lit candle on top of a glass dish inside. However, without even the heat source, the fleas naturally just jump into it. We put one in each room, and we were amazed by the results. Obviously vacuuming daily too helps. Never tried the vinegar on them. Tried it in their water, but they don't like the taste and would try to drink out of the toilet instead.

& mom to 3
, wife to a wonderful man
who loves
... living with

and our

whom we

~I got a fever, and the only cure is....more coupons!~
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 AM

sux being stalked & harassed!!
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairysaver View Post
Dont try to divide a container meant for a bigger dog though since you cant accuratly measure dose.
this is another weird thing, but if you get a syringe without the needle (dunno what they call those- my vet gives 'em to us to squirt meds into the animal's mouths when need be) then you can accurately measure the flea drop stuff- this is critical, cuz too much & i think you can make a small enough animal incredibly sick or dead.

that makes the drops a better deal, cuz they fo' sho' ain't cheap

check farm supply stores for all things flea related, they have awesome, powerful stuff to rid entire herds of livestock of every kind of pest, so those kind of places also offer some cut rate entertainment looking at all the potential pests a farm could theoretically have

if the stuff you are using doesn't make the dog stop scratching soon, send a letter to the company.

my mom did that when a condo she moved into came with fleas for no extra charge

she outlined everything she had done & how none of it worked & asked what else she could do & the company sent her some mondo powerful sprays & bombs they usually sell only to zoos. i have no idea what company it was, but that stuff totally did the trick
Old 08-30-2011, 08:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaedeebug View Post
Capstar pills kill the fleas immediately that are on the dog. Someone also told me to put a little garlic powder on their food and it will repel fleas.
That's what I was going to suggest. Capstar is great. Wait 24 hours after giving the dogs a Capstar then use a topical preventative. My vet has sold me one Capstar rather than having to buy an entire package of 6.

I live in FL, so, we deal with fleas a lot! I lived with a roommate once who's dog was seriously infested. It got so bad that you couldn't walk into our house without seeing fleas on your legs (Disgusting!) I sprinkled Borax powder and salt all through the house, let it stay for 2-3 days then vacuum (be sure to dump vacuum immediately and get it out of the house). In the meantime, I took care of the fleas on roomies' dog as well. This worked wonders - no fleas. Hopefully you won't get an infestation since it seems like you are being proactive from the start. If you do, this works!

Good luck with your