BSL In Nebraska

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 12:29 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
2011: 52% overall savings

My Mood/Status:
Mulligans has posted more than 150 good deals!Mulligans has posted more than 150 good deals!
BSL in Nebraska

Howdy- I'm no stranger to prejudice against my dogs' breed (Pit Bulls), but I've been fortunate to not live in an area w/ breed specific legislation (BSL) either. Figured I'd ask here on the chance that someone knows the answer before I start hounding city officials in Omaha and trying to get a straight answer.

My sweetie might be getting a job in Omaha, NE in a few months. I see that they have some BSL restrictions in place. One of my Pit Bulls is my service dog for a health issue. Do any Omaha people know if service dogs are exempt from needing the special insurance and declaring their dog as a potentially dangerous animal? (which IMO violates my 5th Amendment rights because it forces me to accept liability even when my dog & I might have been in the right). I suppose we don't have to live in Omaha, but he's ready to not have an hour-long commute to work, and I'd like to be able to walk or ride to Temple instead of having to drive.

Also, can anyone make a recommendation for a realtor in the area who deals w/ rent-to-own properties?

Thanks!

-- Jo
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 PM

RE: BSL in Nebraska

My Mood/Status:
iiartisanii has posted more than 25 good deals
Service dogs are protected by the American with Disabilities Act and must be allowed in rental properties regardless of a pet policy. It is a nationwide policy that service animals do not need any sort of special licensing or registration. Of course, it may help your cause if you get him an official looking vest and id card, but none of these are legally necessary.

As far as your other dogs are concerned, I would recommend looking on Craigslist in the area and try to find a property that is privately owned and skip properties owned by investment companies as those usually have strict insurance laws that would prevent you from renting with this particular breed.

In my area it took us nearly 6 months to find a townhouse that would allow a dog over 20 lbs (we have three 50 lb dogs). Insurance is so tough out here in southern california that almost no one can rent to a person with a large dog, much less multiple. We eventually had some luck on Craigslist and calling local real estate agents who specialized in rental properties.

Best of luck to you! I know renting with big dogs is stressful enough, even without all the stupid breed ban laws!
The Following User Says Thank You to iiartisanii For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2011, 10:59 PM

2011: 52% overall savings

My Mood/Status:
Mulligans has posted more than 150 good deals!Mulligans has posted more than 150 good deals!
I didn't even think of Craigslist!!! Thanks so much! She's got a vest, ID card and I always carry a note from my neurologist in my wallet in case I run into some chucklehead at the courthouse who is looking for a reason to not have to scan my dog for weapons (clearly they've never tested her methane production. I consider her occasional gas to be a biological weapon...). I keep a copy of the ADA in my truck, but wasn't sure how it related to BSL in the city limits. Thanks again for the Craigslist lead!!

-- Jo
Old 08-20-2011, 10:18 PM

My Mood/Status:
2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Change your breed to Terrier Mix..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2blacklabs For This Useful Post: