Good Dog Turned Bad??

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 09:30 AM
lookin for some deals :)

abowers10 has posted more than 300 great deals!abowers10 has posted more than 300 great deals!abowers10 has posted more than 300 great deals!abowers10 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Good dog turned bad??

First of all I adore my little dachshund. He will be 2 soon and he has been the love of my life. But he is a male and likes to pee everywhere!! Especially on the carpet in the bedroom. Everytime he does it I stick his nose in it and spank him...and he goes to his cage because he knows he is in trouble. Today he did it again, and ran to his cage right after he did it because he knew what he did was wrong. I tried to get him out of his cage to spank him and he started growling and bite my hand to the point of it is bleeding!!! He has never bit a soul in his life and he is the best dog ever but I can not believe he did that!! I dont know if I should continue spanking or what?? I just don't want to be bit again but he needs to know not to pee on the carpet! My dog needs to respect me in my home and he can't do whatever he wants to. But its probably past the point of training since he is almost 2! Any advice would be wonderful. This literally just happened and I'm scared and don't know what to do!
The Following User Says Thank You to abowers10 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 09:55 AM

RE: Good dog turned bad??

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Dogs general pick up on right and wrong and would not do something that they know they shouldn't do. Since he has already been trained but continues to do this and knows what happens next, I reccommend you take him the the vet for a good checkup. He may have a weak bladder or another illness that makes him unable to control the urge. With that said dogs usually will not bit their owners unless they are abused. As I don't believe you have abused him, I think he is trying to tell you he can't help himself to leave him alone. Also, other reason for agression is that they are in alot of pain. Please, please take him to the vet immediately and explain all the issues. He needs to be checked immediately!
The Following User Says Thank You to anixon2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2011, 10:04 AM

Lift while you climb

My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abowers10 View Post
First of all I adore my little dachshund. He will be 2 soon and he has been the love of my life. But he is a male and likes to pee everywhere!! Especially on the carpet in the bedroom. Everytime he does it I stick his nose in it and spank him...and he goes to his cage because he knows he is in trouble. Today he did it again, and ran to his cage right after he did it because he knew what he did was wrong. I tried to get him out of his cage to spank him and he started growling and bite my hand to the point of it is bleeding!!! He has never bit a soul in his life and he is the best dog ever but I can not believe he did that!! I dont know if I should continue spanking or what?? I just don't want to be bit again but he needs to know not to pee on the carpet! My dog needs to respect me in my home and he can't do whatever he wants to. But its probably past the point of training since he is almost 2! Any advice would be wonderful. This literally just happened and I'm scared and don't know what to do!

I'd look up a good local dog trainer or some pet training sites online before he destroys your house.

People have differing opinions on behavior modification. I've always found that training (reinforcing) the behavior you want is much more effective than punishing the behavior you don't want. He doesn't know that peeing on the carpet it wrong. That's where he's going, and once marked, he's going to return there unless he "knows" where he should be going. You'll need to get some enzymes to get the smell out of the carpet and out of anything in the house where he might be hiking his leg. Odoban works well to remove the odor. A black light can help you find where on walls, furniture, etc., he might have peed that you can't see. This will help him to not return to those spots.

Then take him out-- often. More often than you might think to start with. Praise him when he pees. Or if you want him to go on a paper inside, do the same thing. If you catch him in the act inside, take him out immediately. Praise, praise, praise appropriate behavior. He'll get it.

Look at the biting from his point of view. You would bite too if you knew your caregiver was pulling you out of your safe place (his cave) just to hit you or to rub your nose in your urine. It's just like a kid-- teach what you want them to do, and you won't have to punish them so often when they do what you don't want them to.

It will take a while and he might have some back-sliding since he's older, but you can do it! A local trainer will come to your home to help you go through the motions til it becomes natural.

DELTA region for Kroger stores

Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tratra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2011, 10:04 AM

2011: 52% overall savings

My Mood/Status:
Mulligans has posted more than 150 good deals!Mulligans has posted more than 150 good deals!
Howdy- First, rubbing their nose in it and spanking don't work, which you've probably and hopefully figured out by now. The problem w/ rubbing their nose in it after the fact is that the dog doesn't have a single clue why you're doing it because their time references aren't like ours. They can't reason in the same way we do, and they don't correlate your response to any particular thing because more than a split second has passed between the time of their behaviour and the time of your response to it. Unless you catch them in the act mid-stream, there's no punishment you can mete out which will be effective.

As to the bite- you provoked a fear-based defensive biting response. The dog was cornered, unable to escape what he perceived as a threat, and defensively responded accordingly and naturally. Here is what he understands from your conflicts and life together: You are unpredictable. You are nice sometimes when you let him sit in your lap, but without any cause (in his mind) you are lashing out at him without provocation. You are very big. He is very small. You have the upper hand in the fight. He can't run away because he's trapped in his crate. Big scary hand reaches for him and it looks like a predatory claw coming at him in an attack posture. You are barking at him. What would you do, were you him, in that situation? Had he been able to get away he might've just expressed his anal glands as he took off, but flight wasn't an option so you got the fight response instead.

I'd go back to the basics of housebreaking and crate training. After he wakes up, eats, drinks or has been playing for a little while, he needs to go outside to potty. Take him to the same area in the yard each time. PRAISE when he potties outside. If he hikes his leg 100 times in 5 minutes, he gets praised each and every time. Neutering will help w/ territorial marking (generally that's on an upright surface, not a carpet). He gets crated every time you aren't able to watch him. If you aren't going to breed him, I'd get him neutered (statistically speaking, he'll live longer).

Clean the carpets w/ an enzyme cleaner like Simple Solution (you can make your own but I'm partial to SS). IF you catch him in the act, he gets a firm "NO!" and then "Outside!" and out he goes. Don't snatch him up- call him to you in a pleasant voice and relaxed posture. Praise him all the way out the door and into the yard. When he starts to relieve himself, PRAISE. Higher pitched voice goes with praise, lower pitch goes with correction commands.

Dogs learn by imprinting, genetics, repetition, allelomemetic methods, and reward/ risk input. That's pretty much a dog in a nutshell :-))

Hope that helps,

-- Jo
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mulligans For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 AM

My Mood/Status:
gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Have you ruled out any physical causes of his behavior? I would take him to the vet for a thorough checkup and start with a clean bill of health...and it's a myth that an older dog cannot be trained and actually some people believe it's easier to train an older dog vs a young active puppy that is usually easily excited..there are tons of videos/books/etc on training a dog..some free stuff on the internet as well but first rule out any organic reasons.
The Following User Says Thank You to gdaniel5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 AM

Thankful, and oh so blessed!
Looser of Marbles

My Mood/Status:
~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
From so much I have read, and experience raising 3 dogs we don't spank or hit our animals. You are basically saying that peeing is the wrong thing to do. Best advice is watch him. Take him to the bathroom every 15mins. It is tedious, but it works. Treats for a job well done in the beginning, and then verbal praise is all you need.

Basically Muligan cut it to a tee what we have done. Simple put it they want our attention no matter if it is positive or negative.

I wish you good things! Let us know how it goes!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~Em~ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2011, 10:56 AM

couponfiend has posted more than 200 great deals!couponfiend has posted more than 200 great deals!couponfiend has posted more than 200 great deals!
You should never hit him for peeing on the rug and never hit him at all. He is biting you to defend himself. You can discipline him with your voice and the tone of your voice. If you catch him in the act put a leash on him and take him to the pee and say no - do your business outside. If he pees outside after this praise him like crazy and say good boy business outside. If your male is not neutered you should do it now before he gets too old. I waited to long to do it. He is very male but very well housebroken. My last male dog wasnt clean. He was very stubborn. When he was puppy and I used papers (the worst mistake) when I saw him peeing on the floor and I yelled paper, he went crying in protest. My male before him was superclean and never snotty. Never even had to be housebroken just was a naturally clean dog. Asked to go out from the first day at 8 weeks.

I would take your little guy out every half hour asking him if he wants to out and do his business and if he does something outside give him a piece of a cookie. Dont spank its not a child. I think if a dog sees a hand coming at it in anger it is going to snap at it. Dont take it personal just dont do it . You can tell him hes a bad boy if you catch him in the act but if not just clean it up and take him outside telling him to do his business.

Remember, every 30 minutes or sooner if hes eaten or drank a lot and keep on telling him to do your business and when he does go crazy with praise. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to couponfiend For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2011, 11:08 AM

crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I think you should find a good home for this dog. He is not to blame.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crs For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM

abowers10 has posted more than 300 great deals!abowers10 has posted more than 300 great deals!abowers10 has posted more than 300 great deals!abowers10 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Thanks so much for everyones input. The only reason why we put his nose in it and spank him when he does it is because that has been what everyone around me has done and it has worked fine. But I am no longer going to do this. I will take him out very frequently and praise praise praise him when he goes outside. We goofed when we first got him because it was a harsh winter and he was so tiny so we started him on pee pads then tried to train him to go outside. I even put a bell on the door so he could ring it when he wanted outside which worked for a few months and then he stopped. But I am not going to give up on the little guy because i have no kids so he is like my little baby! I am going to do some research on retraining dachshunds to help me out.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs
I think you should find a good home for this dog. He is not to blame.
He has a very good home and if I didn't care about him I would have gotten rid of him already.Which I do not want to do. I do not appreciate this comment.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM

My Mood/Status:
lrw2706 has posted more than 50 good deals
Have you tried the doggie pee pads? I know ppl that this has worked for.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrw2706 View Post
Have you tried the doggie pee pads? I know ppl that this has worked for.
We tried this at first when he was very small, just wasnt the thing for us. We spent too much money on the pads and the smell of urine was constantly in the house.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:08 PM

My Mood/Status:
lrw2706 has posted more than 50 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by abowers10 View Post
We tried this at first when he was very small, just wasnt the thing for us. We spent too much money on the pads and the smell of urine was constantly in the house.

The pads at walmart are fairly cheap,and is the urine smell worse than the urine on carpets?Over all( in my opinion only) buying pads would be cheaper than carpet cleaning,even if you changed pads a lot to avoid odors.
Someone on this site might have Qs for the pads.

I have a 4.5 pound dog who is up in age and she will bark to take her out at all hours of day and nite.3am isn't always good for me,but she is my lil furkid.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:17 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
We have 1 1/2 year old jack russell terrier (male). I have to say that putting his nose in the pee and saying to him in firm and loud voice NO. Worked for us. we only did it maybe 3 times and he never ever did it again.
Maybe like the others say, he has a bladder problem. I wish you good luck.

Last edited by Arecibo; 08-19-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:18 PM

kittenlove has posted more than 10 good deals
We have a pomeranian that is male and does this. He pees or poops on the floor if we let him run the house. We have done everything to train him and have come to the conclusion this is the way he is. We keep him in the kitchen and dining room and keep it gated because we have washable floors. Something about being a male and wanting to mark his territory. He is neutered and was from the time we got him. I think sometimes dogs are just going to do this, especially little dogs. He doesn't go where he is gated and has tons of room to be free, but let him out and he'll run to the carpet or somewhere and potty. I would have him checked at the vet for a bladder infection though. If all else turns out okay, then try to gate him in a specific room or don't let him roam in the house. Also, when ours is in trouble he will snap at us and always has since a little puppy. If you yell and point your finger at him, he gets angry and snaps and growls, almost like he is back talking! But he is sweet as honey normally unless he is in trouble.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenlove
We have a pomeranian that is male and does this. He pees or poops on the floor if we let him run the house. We have done everything to train him and have come to the conclusion this is the way he is. We keep him in the kitchen and dining room and keep it gated because we have washable floors. Something about being a male and wanting to mark his territory. He is neutered and was from the time we got him. I think sometimes dogs are just going to do this, especially little dogs. He doesn't go where he is gated and has tons of room to be free, but let him out and he'll run to the carpet or somewhere and potty. I would have him checked at the vet for a bladder infection though. If all else turns out okay, then try to gate him in a specific room or don't let him roam in the house. Also, when ours is in trouble he will snap at us and always has since a little puppy. If you yell and point your finger at him, he gets angry and snaps and growls, almost like he is back talking! But he is sweet as honey normally unless he is in trouble.
He is the same way! He always snaps when I tell him no and use my "master" voice I guess u could say but he has never EVER bit me! He is just the sweetest thing until he is in trouble! And sometimes I swear he pees or poops in the floor to be spiteful! Like when me and my hubby want "our" time and we kick him out of the room he will pee right in front of the door because he's mad! I swear he is like a kid sometimes!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:58 PM

kittenlove has posted more than 10 good deals
I'm wondering if its a small dog, big world thing. They have to prove they are the boss maybe? Someone suggested diapers! Whatever, no way!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:01 PM

My Mood/Status:
fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I suggest back to basics training, some odor destroyer for the spots like Kids N Pets it works miracles and for goodness sakes dont hit or rub his nose in it. Think of it this way, if a large person 3x your size sat beside you and smacked you for every mistake you made wouldnt you eventually snap back? Hitting instills fear, and anxiety. I think you need some dog/owner training courses. Another idea is to simply litter train him most small dogs adapt well to it and the odor is minimal since it was made for much harsher cat pee smells well its minimal as long as you clean it daily.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:13 PM

My Mood/Status:
jpoole329 has posted more than 400 great deals!jpoole329 has posted more than 400 great deals!jpoole329 has posted more than 400 great deals!jpoole329 has posted more than 400 great deals!jpoole329 has posted more than 400 great deals!
One other recommendation I'd make (I had a small dog and this helped). Let them drink until a certain time at night (say 8pm), take them out before bed, and take up the water dish. Your dog won't die of dehydration don't worry and you won't find a puddle in the morning if you leave him out at night.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:15 PM

I try to be the person my dog thinks I am.
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
First of all remember the breed of dog. They were originally bred to chase down holes after badgers. They can be quite fiesty. The aren't the kind of dog that may do everything you want. Also, if you do not plan to breed him, neutering may help. Of all the dogs I have owned, the males were always harder to train than the females.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:55 PM

is tired!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
morgansmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!morgansmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!morgansmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!morgansmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!morgansmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!morgansmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!morgansmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!morgansmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I have a one year old male maltese. When I ever caught him in the act of peeing in the house I would say "NO" and clap really loud and take him immediately outside. He now very rarely has accidents. When he goes outside he gets lots of praise and always a treat when we come back in. He knows the routine and goes right to where I keep the treats when he comes back in.

Make sure you take him out often. The only time my dog has accidents is when we fail to take him out sooner than we should. He has to go every 3-4 hours, or sooner if he's had lots of water. I never spank mine, and he has done well with potty training. I also should say that we had him neutered at 6 months old and he has never lifted his leg, and the vet said he may never get that instinct. He still squats when he goes, so I don't have the marking problem Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to morgansmom For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2011, 06:30 PM

My Mood/Status:
emerald1025 has posted more than 150 good deals!emerald1025 has posted more than 150 good deals!
I work for an animal shelter and can tell you dogs don't respond to spankings or putting their nose in their urine. Since he has a crate, you should be able to crate train him. The idea is that they don't mess in their living area. When you are not home or want some alone time with your husband, he should be in the crate. It's not cruel, the crate is their "safe place", which is probably why he bit you when you reached in to punish him.

Take him outside EVERY time you let him out of the crate. Dachshunds are noted for being difficult to house train. Do not give him the run of the house until he shows control.

Neutering him will help A LOT!! Also, use the enzyme based cleaner on the carpets, so he doesn't smell it all the time.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:39 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
People should learn about a breed before buying a "cute puppy".

Dachshunds are NOTORIOUS for being hard to house break. Even when you think they are they will turn around pee or poop inside.

They also love their crates, especially if they have a blanket to burrow in - regardless of the temps!

You need to feed, water then walk in a consistent schedule. I retrained a 4 year old once. I've also never found neutering to help although it is still best for the dog.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessoflubbock
People should learn about a breed before buying a "cute puppy".

Dachshunds are NOTORIOUS for being hard to house break. Even when you think they are they will turn around pee or poop inside.

They also love their crates, especially if they have a blanket to burrow in - regardless of the temps!

You need to feed, water then walk in a consistent schedule. I retrained a 4 year old once. I've also never found neutering to help although it is still best for the dog.
Well it wasn't my choice to get this specific breed.. It was a gift to me but I love him just the same. He does have a blanket in his cage that he absolutely loves to burrow in and chew holes in. And we did pretty much had him housebroken except for a few incidents.. Like I said earlier I think some reasons why he does it is out of spite.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:08 PM

cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I think you may be right about the "spite" part of it when you described putting him out of the bedroom and him going in front of the door......that's "spite". The rest of it I really don't think so. I have a 13 year old Dachshund. Dachshunds are adorable and cuddly and fiercely loyal to their people. They are also barky, hard to housebreak, and think they rule the roost. They have an ATTITUDE. Most of the time it's hilarious, occasionally it's annoying. Ours is housebroken as long as we don't let him on the carpet. Let him anywhere near carpet, all bets are off. Mine has never bitten anyone and I don't think he ever will, but when my youngest son was little, he tried to boss him around, ! I think the advice of having a crate to put him in when you don't want him in the bedroom is good, also the advice of making sure you take him outside frequently. Praise the good behavior, ignore the bad. And I didn't see where you said if he was neutered or not....if he isn't, that needs to be done ASAP. It will cut down on marking and other accidents and undesirable behaviors tremendously.