Good Dog Turned Bad??

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 06:17 AM

RE: Good dog turned bad??

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
2011: 52% overall savings

My Mood/Status:
Mulligans has posted more than 150 good deals!Mulligans has posted more than 150 good deals!
One more idea for you- A gal I know, Darlene Arden, wrote a book called something like Small Dogs- Big Hearts. It might be Little Dogs- Big Hearts... I had a serious closed head injury and my memory is crummy. Darlene is generally considered the leading expert in small dog behaviour and manners training (not obedience training- contact an Assoc. of Pet Dog Trainers Association of Pet Dog Trainers - Dog Training Resources registered trainer for that if you want to try something fun and productive w/ your pooch). I referred a couple of my clients with small dogs to her since I pretty much stuck to the breeds I worked. I may still have her e-mail addy somewhere if you want me to look. I think you've already gotten some good advice and should see good progress if you stay consistent :-))

Good luck!

-- Jo
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 PM

My Mood/Status:
2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Hey daschunds are one of the hardest breeds to potty train..Good Luck ...we have several clients with them and some never learn the whole process of potty training..
Old 08-21-2011, 04:10 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Those that have essentially said that he needs to be treated like an untrained puppy are correct...crated when he cannot be watched continuously, outside immediately after getting let out of the crate, outside after eating, drinking, at least once an hour, praised when he goes (not treats due to doxie weight/ back issues). Sometimes dogs need a refresher course, sometimes they didnt really get it in the first place, the why doesnt really matter.

A couple of notes...

If the dog is going in the same places over and over, you are not cleaning the areas thoroughly enough. What we can see and smell is nothing compared to what a dog can sniff out. If this is the case white vinegar in a spray bottle applied to the area after you have cleaned is a wonderful neutralizer.

If you are lucky enough to catch the dog in the act, interrupting him will really help training. Make a penny can, when you see him going in an undesirable location launch it towards him (not at him). It is best if he doesnt see you throw the can. It will effectively startle him and he will stop (also good for other undesirable behaviors). After he stops peeing ask him if he wants to go outside, take him out, give him an elimination command and praise him when he goes. It's best if he doesnt associate the can with you so that he doesnt learn it's ok to pee if you arent watching. But either way the distraction of the can noise will work and allow you to do some positive training.

Spanking or pulling a doxie out of a crate (when struggling) is very dangerous to the dog. Doxies are much, much more likely than the average dog to have back issues. A strike to the wrong spot or a twist could easily cause a disk issue. Those are very expensive to fix, the rehabilitation is horrible and the dog's quality of life will not likely be the same (and yours either if you have a conscience).

After the dog has gone a couple of weeks with no accidents while supervised you may want to consider using a belly band while trying to give him some freedom. It serves two purposes...the first is that you can absolutely tell if there are accidents or not (no missing them or not seeing them), the second purpose is that the dog wont actually be able to mark. There is the added bonus that most dogs dont like the wet feeling of the belly band and it kind if acts as a training tool in that way. But do check often as it isnt good for the dog to have urine against his skin for long periods of time. If after several weeks you arent seeing any accidents you can congratulate yourself on potty training a doxie!

There are several posters that have mentioned taking your dog to a vet. Two years old with inconsistent (seemingly based on what you have said) potty training doesnt scream medical issue to me. If you have a vet appointment soon, I would mention that you are having issues in case you vet does want to monitor him or sees other warning signs of a problem but I wouldnt make an appointment just based on what has been said here. Now if you go back to basics and havent made any progress after a couple of months, then I would make a special appointment for this issue as there may be some medical cause behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abowers10 View Post
He is the same way! He always snaps when I tell him no and use my "master" voice I guess u could say but he has never EVER bit me! He is just the sweetest thing until he is in trouble! And sometimes I swear he pees or poops in the floor to be spiteful! Like when me and my hubby want "our" time and we kick him out of the room he will pee right in front of the door because he's mad! I swear he is like a kid sometimes!
Well, the dog shouldnt be alone and not crated. Especially if you were already having training issues and you have a crate. Why werent you using it?

Quote:
Well it wasn't my choice to get this specific breed.. It was a gift to me but I love him just the same. He does have a blanket in his cage that he absolutely loves to burrow in and chew holes in. And we did pretty much had him housebroken except for a few incidents.. Like I said earlier I think some reasons why he does it is out of spite.
And this is why living beings should not be given as gifts. Everyone in the household should be present when getting an animal and everyone should be on the same page before getting the pet. Even if everyone agrees on a breed, each individual has a different personality and each person should meet the specific pet before the adoption/ purchase takes place. Obviously this bell cant be unrung and there are many cases where it works out splendidly but I would hope anyone considering gifting a pet would reconsider after reading this.
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2011, 04:46 PM

My Mood/Status:
JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!JeanneF78 has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Thanks so much for everyones input. The only reason why we put his nose in it and spank him when he does it is because that has been what everyone around me has done and it has worked fine. But I am no longer going to do this. I will take him out very frequently and praise praise praise him when he goes outside. We goofed when we first got him because it was a harsh winter and he was so tiny so we started him on pee pads then tried to train him to go outside. I even put a bell on the door so he could ring it when he wanted outside which worked for a few months and then he stopped. But I am not going to give up on the little guy because i have no kids so he is like my little baby! I am going to do some research on retraining dachshunds to help me out.
I'm right there with ya with the stupid pee pee pads! My little girl is going to be 6 now and those stupid pee pee pads to start out with ruined our lives!!!! haha...they didn't but seriously I would never recommend them again!

Ok now my advice....No nose rubbing and No spanking....I understand where you got that from it's an old wives tale, I used to think that too....but my Uncle the dog trainer straightened me out! And the biting...his crate is his safe place, and you threatened him there, he was defending himself....I would blow it off...unless of course he took up biting as his new favorite thing, but I'm sure that's not the case. Ok and on to the peeing....like most before me have said...you have to revert back to the potty training all over again thing...just keep taking him out...make a big huge deal about his poops or pees and what a good boy he is, lots of praise and love. When he does have accidents when you catch him in the act stop him with a stern NO, GO OUTSIDE, and take him out immediately...when he pottys lots of praise, etc....from my experience with my potty princess, she do go outside 99% of the time now, she does still have the occasional accident in the house, few and far btwn though, and if I take her somewhere....like we went on vacation for a week and she came, we rented a cabin....she didn't have a single accident, she doesn't at my moms, or anywhere else I've taken her.....I made it OK for her to go potty in the house my house by using those stupid pee pee pads, but she knows at others homes it's not ok...so she knows she can't just potty in houses she just thought our home was a potty for her because of those pads. So ultimately it's our own fault

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Tina Bermudez

My Mood/Status:
tberm4901 has posted more than 25 good deals
Spanking /hitting a dog is never the answer. Dogs do not know what they have done wrong like humans. All they are referencing is your anger/impatience/ or violence. THAT is what they are reacting to....not that they did something wrong. I agree you need to determine he has no illness first.
If that is the case you need to take him out more often to pee. He clearly cannot hold it for the timeframe he is indoors. If you cannot do that, I would highly recommend you read up on crate training...that will keep him from peeing (most likely) if you cannot take out frequently.

Lastly and most IMPORTANT...in regards to crate training, dogs are den animals and their crates are their personal space in their wolf wired brains. You and no one else should EVER use a crate as a punishment and should NEVER EVER try to pull your dog out of it or bother/pester him while in it. Dogs go to their crates (their space/area) to be left alone. The nicest of dogs might eventually bite someone if they are tried to be pullled from their crates.

I hope this helps, but I would ask that you please try to think of positive ways to fix your doggie issues....I know they can be frustrating but your dog does not deserve to be hit and/or have his faced shoved into his pee. WE as humans have to remember they are dogs...not HUMANS. Dogs react to our actions and our energy, so you will actually end up creating a fearful and/or angry dog. Be an alpha for your dog. Do some research/reading and learn how to better do that! You will both be much happier!

Think of ways/ideas to resolve issues that you would if it was a small child you were training. If your child kept peeing/pooping his pants you would automatically think of taking him more often to go, yet people tend to not think the same of a dog. They think dogs can hold it all day...not sure why
The Following User Says Thank You to tberm4901 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2011, 10:44 AM

Just trying to stay cool...

My Mood/Status:
duckie has posted more than 200 great deals!duckie has posted more than 200 great deals!duckie has posted more than 200 great deals!
Watch a few episodes of The Dog Whisperer. Caesar's fix to everything is: take the dog on walks. It works too.

Good luck with your dog!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for 1 year, "parents" to Laguna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:52 PM

grantph
Quote:
Originally Posted by abowers10
First of all I adore my little dachshund. He will be 2 soon and he has been the love of my life. But he is a male and likes to pee everywhere!! Especially on the carpet in the bedroom. Everytime he does it I stick his nose in it and spank him...and he goes to his cage because he knows he is in trouble. Today he did it again, and ran to his cage right after he did it because he knew what he did was wrong. I tried to get him out of his cage to spank him and he started growling and bite my hand to the point of it is bleeding!!! He has never bit a soul in his life and he is the best dog ever but I can not believe he did that!! I dont know if I should continue spanking or what?? I just don't want to be bit again but he needs to know not to pee on the carpet! My dog needs to respect me in my home and he can't do whatever he wants to. But its probably past the point of training since he is almost 2! Any advice would be wonderful. This literally just happened and I'm scared and don't know what to do!
I have had success with a trick that makes you feel really silly, but seems to work. It is also good because you don't have to catch the animal in the act. ....Lower your voice and try to sound as annoyed or angry as possible without shouting. and tell the offending pee/poo off. Point at it, make frowny faces , even smack the ground close to the area. Just as long as the dog is close to see, it usually sneaks off backwards. Do the telling off part for at least a full minute or longer. Then just move away, hopefully your dog follows you. Once e dog is in another room or outside etc you can go back & clean up. Just do not clean in front of the animal.

Same trick can be used to stop most bad behaviours. I probably told every piece of furniture in the house off when we had a chewer. Even worked to stop food stealing off tables etc. I managed to leave a piece of newly cooked chicken on the floor & go into the other room for a few minutes when at e height of training. Now she's spoilt so not sure I'd have much success on that one now, .

Also, have you added anyone to the family, a new visitor or anything that might stress the dog? Or are you just more stressed lately? One dog I had was trained, then started house peeing, turned out it had a urinary tract infection. Antibiotics cleared that & the house peeing up.
I asked about your stress level because we have experienced that too. Hubby landed in the hospital, & ER three times in two months, my little one started guarding her food & snapping at people. We calmed down & so did she. ThEn the illness came back & so did her guarding.

Will say the trick did not work on our sock thief, tried adding bitters, pepper & even curry powder to the socks. Finally found it easier to train hubby to pick up e socks than to stop the dog eating them.

Hope it helps.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 AM

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantph View Post
I have had success with a trick that makes you feel really silly, but seems to work. It is also good because you don't have to catch the animal in the act. ....Lower your voice and try to sound as annoyed or angry as possible without shouting. and tell the offending pee/poo off. Point at it, make frowny faces , even smack the ground close to the area. Just as long as the dog is close to see, it usually sneaks off backwards. Do the telling off part for at least a full minute or longer. Then just move away, hopefully your dog follows you. Once e dog is in another room or outside etc you can go back & clean up. Just do not clean in front of the animal.

Same trick can be used to stop most bad behaviours. I probably told every piece of furniture in the house off when we had a chewer. Even worked to stop food stealing off tables etc. I managed to leave a piece of newly cooked chicken on the floor & go into the other room for a few minutes when at e height of training. Now she's spoilt so not sure I'd have much success on that one now, .

Also, have you added anyone to the family, a new visitor or anything that might stress the dog? Or are you just more stressed lately? One dog I had was trained, then started house peeing, turned out it had a urinary tract infection. Antibiotics cleared that & the house peeing up.
I asked about your stress level because we have experienced that too. Hubby landed in the hospital, & ER three times in two months, my little one started guarding her food & snapping at people. We calmed down & so did she. ThEn the illness came back & so did her guarding.

Will say the trick did not work on our sock thief, tried adding bitters, pepper & even curry powder to the socks. Finally found it easier to train hubby to pick up e socks than to stop the dog eating them.

Hope it helps.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 PM

My Mood/Status:
ANGISHELBY27 has posted more than 25 good deals
He is "marking" so I doubt pee pee pads will work. I have an 8 year old Pug who has been doing it all his life, so I understand your frustration. If he is neutered and healthy and still marks, try Belly Bands. You can find them online or even make your own. I call them Weinie Wraps.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:29 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGISHELBY27 View Post
He is "marking" so I doubt pee pee pads will work. I have an 8 year old Pug who has been doing it all his life, so I understand your frustration. If he is neutered and healthy and still marks, try Belly Bands. You can find them online or even make your own. I call them Weinie Wraps.
Doubly appropriate in the OP's case!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
ANGISHELBY27 has posted more than 25 good deals
good one!