How Much Should I Pay For A Chihuahua Puppy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 08:03 AM

My Mood/Status:
tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
How much should I pay for a Chihuahua Puppy?

I am looking to buy a Chihuahua puppy with markings like the one in my profile picture. Mine died last month at age 11. When I bought her I paid $100.00 because she had no papers. My sister gave me her Chihuahua about 5 years ago, and she paid $450.00 for him, + $200.00 shipping and he has papers and Champion bloodlines. I want to buy another female, with no papers, so I put an add on Craigs list. I got a responce from someone, with a picture of a cute puppy that I really want, but it was $600.00 and no papers. I told her that was too expensive, then she said how about $500.00? I haven't bought a puppy for 11 years, and have the prices really gone up that much? I was hoping to get one for around $300.00 What do you think a Chihuahua puppy should sell for? Just pet quality. Not for breading of show.
THANKS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammy.bren For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:17 AM

RE: How much should I pay for a Chihuahua Puppy?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Couponnutty1 has posted more than 400 great deals!Couponnutty1 has posted more than 400 great deals!Couponnutty1 has posted more than 400 great deals!Couponnutty1 has posted more than 400 great deals!Couponnutty1 has posted more than 400 great deals!
So many pets want forever homes.... maybe check out your local animal shelter. If you aren't planning to breed or show the dog, why pay full price? If it was me, I'd go to the local shelters and pay them what they want. At least that way, you know the one you choose will be well taken care of and the shelter will receive money to care for other animals.

JMHO
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Couponnutty1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 AM

Missing my Sugar Girl. RIP 12/29/13

My Mood/Status:
momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Look on petfinder.com, even if you have to drive a bit to get one, the difference in adoption fees would make up for the gas expense!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:49 AM

My Mood/Status:
tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tammy.bren has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I have been looking for 3 weeks now. When I went to the shelter, they didn't have any Chihuahuas, but when one comes in, they put it on their website, and immediately someone will buy it, so I figured I might not get their in time to get it. Then I check other sites, and you have to fill out an aplication, and they come to your house and interview you. They say that I wouldn't pass because I do have a Black Lab that lives outside, and she has a large kennel and 2 dog houses, but they say that if you have other dogs, they can't live outside. I guess they think that is cruel, but our lab doesn't want to live inside. When she comes in, she just looks for food and wants to get back out Also, they may choose someone that stays at home over someone that will be at work all day. But I will keep looking.
The Following User Says Thank You to tammy.bren For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 09:18 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Go on Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder and you should be able to find one in your area and also find the chihuahua rescue group in your area. PLEASE don't pay for a dog get a rescue - they are the best pets and need forever homes.

Explain to them that you have an outside dog and when they come out they will see him and you can bring him/her in and show them that the dog doesn't want to be inside. Don't give up on a rescue because of what one person tells you. Please check that link I posted above. Also don't be set on just a pure breed you might find a mutt that is part chihuahua that steals your heart.

Last edited by SLance68; 07-24-2011 at 09:21 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 AM

My Mood/Status:
Someone just e-mailed me from my craigs list add. They said they have 3 puppies, 12 weeks old, AKC registered, up to date on shots, vet checked, comes with cage and toys, and they are FREE. They attatched 9 pictures and they all look like professionally taken pictures. I would just have to pay transportation fees. They asked for my name address, phone number and postal code. Sounds like a scam where they would want me to send them money, for transportation, and I would get no puppies.
The Following User Says Thank You to tammy.bren For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Missing my Sugar Girl. RIP 12/29/13

My Mood/Status:
momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy.bren@mchsi.com View Post
Someone just e-mailed me from my craigs list add. They said they have 3 puppies, 12 weeks old, AKC registered, up to date on shots, vet checked, comes with cage and toys, and they are FREE. They attatched 9 pictures and they all look like professionally taken pictures. I would just have to pay transportation fees. They asked for my name address, phone number and postal code. Sounds like a scam where they would want me to send them money, for transportation, and I would get no puppies.
Scam for sure!! I really dislike craigslist.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:40 AM

My Mood/Status:
Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I got my chihuahua from a chihuahua rescue. It has been 3 or 4 years and he was 150 I believe (can't remember exactly). We both worked full time and that wasn't an issue. He is precious and adorable. I am so happy I checked out the chi rescue. The people were great to deal with. Would go back there in a heartbeat.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Do not deal with any puppy that has to be shipped. I guarantee that there are plenty of puppies/dogs in your area that need a good home.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 09:44 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
lexco86 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lexco86 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lexco86 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lexco86 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lexco86 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lexco86 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
If you are dead set on getting one from a breeder, then look in your local Sunday paper. In my paper today there is an ad for CKC Chihuahua pups for $150.00. They have 2 one tan and one light red both males..
I dont know what the larger area paper has in it

Everybody loves to throw up Petfinder, but unless you have tried to get a puppy from there you have no idea how difficult it is.. I am a Saint Bernard Lover..and I tried many to adopt many different pups..but was turned down time after time again.
I had a female non spayed...I kept them outside most of the time, we were gone long hours at a time,my last dog had died at a *young* age and the excuses went on and on and on...They never took the time to call my vet or to call me to find out anything about me and my family.
So in the end I found a breeder and bought my TANK and I will do it again if I have to.

I do support adoptions, both of my cats are adopted and our non spayed female is one that we agreed to foster for a new shelter. When the shelter failed she was left here..
The Following User Says Thank You to lexco86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 09:48 AM

llsusanll has posted more than 50 good deals
Our Humane Society is over run with them, or was, with this breed. They had a smokin deal of $50 to adopt one. So if you don't want to breed it, why not get one already fixed & with shots? They had, & probably continue to get, all ages & colors.

Last edited by llsusanll; 07-24-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: addition
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to llsusanll For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 09:57 AM

Expecting Yellow Lab Pups!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
As a user of craigslist and a Labrador breeder the above is a SCAM! I will do some research for you. If you are looking for a non-papered dog I agree with everyone else about getting a rescue. All my breeding stock are rescues and also have AKC papers! I have found all but 2 on craigslist! We breed and train service dogs for soldiers. I would be happy to help you find your perfect friend!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and new baby James!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntinglabmom05 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 09:57 AM

My Mood/Status:
5kidsmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!5kidsmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!5kidsmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!5kidsmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!5kidsmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!5kidsmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
here is your rescue for your area

Chihuahua Rescue and Transport, Inc. - nationwide Chihuahua Rescue group
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 5kidsmama For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kidsmama View Post
Their is alot of cute Chihuahuas on that site, however, all of the dogs I looked at, says you have to have a securely fenced yard, and I don't have that.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:06 AM

My Mood/Status:
missybl has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!missybl has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!missybl has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!missybl has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!missybl has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!missybl has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!missybl has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!missybl has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!missybl has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!missybl has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!missybl has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
We have had 6 Chi's turned into our animal shelter already this year. PLEASE look on Petfinder for a shelter in your area

Rejoice Always!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to missybl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 03:20 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have five Chihuahuas. The first we paid about $1000 for including a cage, some food, bowls, toys, etc.. He was from a pet store and by far our worst bred according to the ACK Chi standard. He has papers. He is 11 and very healthy. Our second Chihuahua was from a breeder, is one of the most rare colors (often a premium is charged for the more rare colors). She was $400 or $500. As an adult she is within the Chi standard and she has papers. She isnt show quality but looks much closer to the standard than the first Chi we got. Our third Chihuahua was from a breeder. He is long haired and fits under the tea cup definition (under 4 pounds as an adult) not that that means anything really. I think he has CKC papers and was $350 -$400. He has very bad knees and his proportion is off somewhat...no where near show quality. The last two came to us as a pair. We volunteer with a local rescue group and their former owner had to surrender them as she felt she could no longer care for one and they were too bonded to separate. We took them in as foster dogs over 4 years ago...at about the two year point we stopped actively looking for a home for them. So they are ours we just havent made it official. We paid $0 for them. Both are very close to show quality...beautiful head shape and proportions. One has bad knees so that would disqualify him, the other is almost perfect. Two of her teeth are a little out of alignment otherwise she could have been shown. So you can see that the range you could pay is really huge.

If I were going through a breeder, I would expect to pay between $300- 600. A chocolate isnt that rare of a color so that shouldnt raise the cost. Wanting a female should raise the cost so expect that. If you go the breeder route be sure to visit them first to check out the conditions and the general temperament of the other dogs. I dont know what the laws are in MN regarding animals sales but most reputable breeders will let you know your rights.

If you decide to go through rescue, you shouldnt pay more than $300- $400 for a full breed puppy (Chis are considered puppies for the first 2 years), with the costs going down for older dogs. Now in defense for such a high cost for a rescue, the dog should come to you as fully vetted as her age would allow (shot schedule) and you wont have the cost of spaying so there is a savings by going the rescue route. Furthermore rescue groups have to be sure that the home the dog is placed in is a reputable home. People have been known to get cheap dogs from rescue and sell them so most rescues have decided that the best way to fight this is to make it unprofitable for the dog re-sellers. People in the business of re-selling animals can be pretty good about passing the interviews, reference checks and even home visits.

To the OP--I can see three pretty big *strikes* against you for adopting a Chi puppy from rescue (possibly even with some breeders). The first being that you work full time. We prefer to adopt out puppies--especially toy breed puppies--to homes where they wont regularly be left alone for more than 4 hours at a time. If it is possible for you to come home mid day and spend at least 1/2 hour with your puppy or if you can get a petsitter to come mid day for a half hour, that would help. Another possibility is if you have pets that are paper or litter trained and you plan to do the same for this puppy. So many people get frustrated with small dogs that physically cant hold it for an 8 hour work day and they return the dog back to rescue. And when that happens, the rescue has to spend time and resources undo-ing any bad habits that might have been taught.

The second issue for me would be owning a larger dog. Chi puppies can be very persistent...to the point of annoying to older dogs. Your other dog could easily (accidentally of course) hurt her. No one would want that to happen. So the temperament of your other dog would be a huge factor for me. That your other dog is an outside dog is something that wouldnt make me say no to you adopting another dog as long as there were provisions for the outside dog and there was a reason that he's an outside dog (working, his choice, either would be acceptable).

The third issue would be your other Chi passing away at 11 years old. I dont mean to hurt you and you certainly dont owe me any explanation but that is pretty young for a Chi to pass away. If I were adopting to you, I would really investigate that point. I just want you to be prepared for that if you do find a Chi for adoption.

I hope some of this information helps you some.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 04:10 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydawn View Post
I have five Chihuahuas. The first we paid about $1000 for including a cage, some food, bowls, toys, etc.. He was from a pet store and by far our worst bred according to the ACK Chi standard. He has papers. He is 11 and very healthy. Our second Chihuahua was from a breeder, is one of the most rare colors (often a premium is charged for the more rare colors). She was $400 or $500. As an adult she is within the Chi standard and she has papers. She isnt show quality but looks much closer to the standard than the first Chi we got. Our third Chihuahua was from a breeder. He is long haired and fits under the tea cup definition (under 4 pounds as an adult) not that that means anything really. I think he has CKC papers and was $350 -$400. He has very bad knees and his proportion is off somewhat...no where near show quality. The last two came to us as a pair. We volunteer with a local rescue group and their former owner had to surrender them as she felt she could no longer care for one and they were too bonded to separate. We took them in as foster dogs over 4 years ago...at about the two year point we stopped actively looking for a home for them. So they are ours we just havent made it official. We paid $0 for them. Both are very close to show quality...beautiful head shape and proportions. One has bad knees so that would disqualify him, the other is almost perfect. Two of her teeth are a little out of alignment otherwise she could have been shown. So you can see that the range you could pay is really huge.

If I were going through a breeder, I would expect to pay between $300- 600. A chocolate isnt that rare of a color so that shouldnt raise the cost. Wanting a female should raise the cost so expect that. If you go the breeder route be sure to visit them first to check out the conditions and the general temperament of the other dogs. I dont know what the laws are in MN regarding animals sales but most reputable breeders will let you know your rights.

If you decide to go through rescue, you shouldnt pay more than $300- $400 for a full breed puppy (Chis are considered puppies for the first 2 years), with the costs going down for older dogs. Now in defense for such a high cost for a rescue, the dog should come to you as fully vetted as her age would allow (shot schedule) and you wont have the cost of spaying so there is a savings by going the rescue route. Furthermore rescue groups have to be sure that the home the dog is placed in is a reputable home. People have been known to get cheap dogs from rescue and sell them so most rescues have decided that the best way to fight this is to make it unprofitable for the dog re-sellers. People in the business of re-selling animals can be pretty good about passing the interviews, reference checks and even home visits.

To the OP--I can see three pretty big *strikes* against you for adopting a Chi puppy from rescue (possibly even with some breeders). The first being that you work full time. We prefer to adopt out puppies--especially toy breed puppies--to homes where they wont regularly be left alone for more than 4 hours at a time. If it is possible for you to come home mid day and spend at least 1/2 hour with your puppy or if you can get a petsitter to come mid day for a half hour, that would help. Another possibility is if you have pets that are paper or litter trained and you plan to do the same for this puppy. So many people get frustrated with small dogs that physically cant hold it for an 8 hour work day and they return the dog back to rescue. And when that happens, the rescue has to spend time and resources undo-ing any bad habits that might have been taught.

The second issue for me would be owning a larger dog. Chi puppies can be very persistent...to the point of annoying to older dogs. Your other dog could easily (accidentally of course) hurt her. No one would want that to happen. So the temperament of your other dog would be a huge factor for me. That your other dog is an outside dog is something that wouldnt make me say no to you adopting another dog as long as there were provisions for the outside dog and there was a reason that he's an outside dog (working, his choice, either would be acceptable).

The third issue would be your other Chi passing away at 11 years old. I dont mean to hurt you and you certainly dont owe me any explanation but that is pretty young for a Chi to pass away. If I were adopting to you, I would really investigate that point. I just want you to be prepared for that if you do find a Chi for adoption.

I hope some of this information helps you some.
Thanks so much for the really long post. It was kind of you to take so much time to explain everything. Our out door dog is 4 years old, and has been around my chihuahuas for the 4 years. She would never hurt them. I still have my male chihuahua that is 7 years old, and never had a health issue with him. My chihuahua that was 11 years old had many health issues that were out of my control, and believe me, we were at the vet all of the time. She had bad leggs, a collapsed trachea and congestive heart failure. We spent thousands of dollars on her vet bills and medication, so I don't see how that could be a reason for us not to get another dog. Our dog that passed away came from a crack house, and we think the mother and father of her were brother and sister, so she was not from good breading. A friend of ours works for a garbage company and was hired to clean out the garbage\crack house and the dogs were inside so he took them home and sold them. I work 1 hour away from home, so I couldn't run home to let a puppy out in the day, but we have always just put out newspaper for them to go on when we are not home. I have had 5 dogs at 1 time for many years, but just down to 2 now, my other black lab got put down at age 14, because she couldn't walk anymore, and my pomeranian lived to 16, and we put her down because of she went blind, and got a huge tumor and kept falling over. It's funny that anyone can have a baby, and take it home, no questions asked, and no one checks the house to see what environment it will be in, but a homeless dog might not qualify to get adopted because their are so many rules. Just saying.I can honestly say, that I take better care of my dogs, than alot of people take care of their kids.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tammy.bren For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2011, 06:40 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Thanks so much for the really long post. It was kind of you to take so much time to explain everything. Our out door dog is 4 years old, and has been around my chihuahuas for the 4 years. She would never hurt them. I still have my male chihuahua that is 7 years old, and never had a health issue with him. My chihuahua that was 11 years old had many health issues that were out of my control, and believe me, we were at the vet all of the time. She had bad leggs, a collapsed trachea and congestive heart failure. We spent thousands of dollars on her vet bills and medication, so I don't see how that could be a reason for us not to get another dog. Our dog that passed away came from a crack house, and we think the mother and father of her were brother and sister, so she was not from good breading. A friend of ours works for a garbage company and was hired to clean out the garbage\crack house and the dogs were inside so he took them home and sold them. I work 1 hour away from home, so I couldn't run home to let a puppy out in the day, but we have always just put out newspaper for them to go on when we are not home. I have had 5 dogs at 1 time for many years, but just down to 2 now, my other black lab got put down at age 14, because she couldn't walk anymore, and my pomeranian lived to 16, and we put her down because of she went blind, and got a huge tumor and kept falling over. It's funny that anyone can have a baby, and take it home, no questions asked, and no one checks the house to see what environment it will be in, but a homeless dog might not qualify to get adopted because their are so many rules. Just saying.I can honestly say, that I take better care of my dogs, than alot of people take care of their kids.

Thank you so much for the response. I was hesitant to write because a lot of what I said could potentially be bad news and easily taken the wrong way. I happen to think that a lot of what you said negates why on the surface you might not look like the best candidate to a rescue organization. IMO, there are no hard and fast rules for who I would consider a good adoption candidate. There are definite red flags but with an appropriate explanations I know I have adopted to people that at first glance may not have seemed the best potential owner.

If it were me in your situation, I would start laying the ground work now with local rescue groups so that when the right dog comes along you might be considered. I would probably email (or write if their web page doesnt look like it gets too much attention) to let them know that I was in search of a particular dog and why I believe I would be a great candidate for rescue and that I would appreciate their consideration if the right dog came into their organization. Be sure to use whichever contact information they list as appropriate. If they say to contact X about adoptions, contact X not whoever you come upon. And if you arent certain you are addressing the right person, put that in your first line and ask that it be forwarded to the right person. An old email address of mine is on file with our orgs petfinder account because I was basically the most web savvy person at the time our account was created. I have absolutely nothing to do with animal intakes and very little to do with adopting out any dog I am not fostering. In fact, it is very clearly defined who to contact in either of those situations but you would not believe how many emails I get asking if I will take in someones pet or if someone can adopt a pet because my contact information is on the first section (admin section) of our groups petfinder page. I rarely forward that information to the appropriate person because I figure if the person cant scan the site enough to find out the appropriate person to contact, they are probably going to be a nightmare to deal with. In our group (and in most) we are all volunteers and it is a very thankless *job*. I have been screamed at, cussed at (perhaps why I am not afraid of confrontation while couponing), left waiting in a parking lot to meet someone and they *forgot* to cancel, been called late at night to *come get this dog now or I am dumping it at the shelter*...really all kinds of horrible stuff. I basically look at every person now as unworthy of adoption from the get-go. You have to convince me that you are worth spending time with. (Not you *you* but a general you.) Doing it that way has saved me lots of time and enabled me to help a few more animals (I like to think anyway). It really is a function of the never ending supply of *unwanted* animals and seeing animals dumped or returned in horrible condition more so than a reflection of you, personally, as a dog owner. I have seen a few things that I would just about give anything to un-see. I hope that makes sense and comes across the way I mean it.

Anyway, I would try to build a relationship now with a couple of rescue organizations that get good quality dogs so that if the right dog comes along they will be open to you and you wont be trying to convince them under pressure that you are a great owner. Now they may say they will contact you if they get the type of dog you want in. I would still look on Petfinder, in the newspaper, on their website to see what their current selection is. A request can very easily fall through the cracks. And I would still pursue breeders and Craigslist. You never know when and how the right soul is going to come into your life. If you go this route and you do find a Chi, please do contact any of the rescues working with you. They should be happy to see any dog in a great home and will be thankful they have one less person to look out for/ call/ etc.. It may also help for future relationships as you never know what some people will remember.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 01:03 AM

My Mood/Status:
iiartisanii has posted more than 25 good deals
I think that if you are not willing to go to a top notch breeder (probably one with show dogs), who health tests the dogs for genetic issues and probably charges upwards of $800+ for a puppy, then you should rescue a dog.

The problem with buying puppies on Craigslist is that you are supporting breeders who are producing animals for profit or by accident, and aren't taking the proper steps to ensure their lines are high quality and free from (preventable!) genetic health issues. Generally, the more popular the breed, the more people are trying to capitalize on the market to turn a quick profit. They take shortcuts with breedings, breed dogs that are unhealthy and have poor temperaments and then sell them for hundreds more than they are worth.

Good breeders will spend lots of $$$ testing for health problems like patellar luxation, heart disease, progressive retinal atrophy, won't breed dogs with epilepsy, collapsing trachea, aggression, and will gladly show you the paperwork proving such. Their dogs are expensive because they have invested so much money in attaining titles (conformation, obedience, agility, etc), and in the health of their animals because they genuinely care about the future of their breed. They didn't just put Dog A with Dog B and write a little blurb on Craigslist about it. You are paying for quality, health and longevity.

Please do not support breeders who aren't doing their part to breed healthy animals. Whatever money you save on a backyard bred Chihuahua, you will probably pay 10 times over at a vet clinic replacing kneecaps. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a dog, then please please just rescue one.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iiartisanii For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 01:30 PM

heidi51013 has posted more than 1 good deal
I agree totally with monkeydawn. I also am in rescue, and the adoption process can be very daunting and frustrating. There are many reasons for that, but ultimately, the decision comes down to one person following gut feelings. Get to know the local rescue groups. Volunteer, visit, donate, whatever it takes so they know you, your name and all that. At that point, when the right one comes along, you are at the top of the list.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heidi51013 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 09:09 PM

Brutuses has posted more than 200 great deals!Brutuses has posted more than 200 great deals!Brutuses has posted more than 200 great deals!
Save a life and get a puppy from the shelter or a rescuer. Not a breeder.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brutuses For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 PM

:(
Steelers Fan

My Mood/Status:
manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I work with an animal shelter, it totally digusts me people would pay thousands of dollars for a dog I get emails every day of poor dogs and cats being put down because of no room.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:47 AM

My Mood/Status:
Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
We have fostered dogs before-is there a rescue group near you that might have "foster" chis? You might be able to find one this way. If you fall in love with it, adopt it. If not, you are giving it a home until it finds a forever home. (It's very rewarding, by the way.)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maggiew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 12:51 AM

My Mood/Status:
Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I will add that I paid for my doodle. We have extremely bad allergies and were hoping for dog that didn't have as much dander/shedding. It was great with my first doodle, but my second one is a first generation and sheds much more. (However, I am head over heels for her!)

I searched on petfinder for a "rescue" of this breed but was turned down once because I worked full time, once because I had younger children, and a few times the dog I liked had already been snatched up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maggiew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 09:02 AM

My Mood/Status:
ANGISHELBY27 has posted more than 25 good deals
Sounds like puppy mill puppies! Anyone who "ships" dogs is not looking for the pets' best interest. Please do your homework to find a local reputable breeder if you must buy a puppy. There are Chi rescues in almost every state. Also check Petfinder.com as many rescues post there. Best of luck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ANGISHELBY27 For This Useful Post: