4th Of July And Dogs

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Goonies never say die...

My Mood/Status:
lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
4th of July and Dogs

My poor dog is TERRIFIED of the sound of all the fireworks. We are going to take her to the mountains on the 4th, but the days leading up to it and following are so traumatic for her. She just paces around and shakes while it's happening. But the other thing is, she's ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIED of going outside. So she's holding her potty in for really long periods and I'm worried about what that might do. Any insight? TIA
The Following User Says Thank You to lisbell For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 01:24 AM

RE: 4th of July and Dogs

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
pinkflower66 has posted more than 100 good deals!pinkflower66 has posted more than 100 good deals!
Maybe a crate with lots of warm blankets and a toy. I pet sit and find that the dogs do like to go inside a crate. I do leave the gate open so they have a choice to go in or out.
Make sure all gates our locked in the yard or on a leash when in the mountains. Do you have a garage where she can stay and put lots of paper on the floor for her to go potty?
Poor little dog give her lots of kisses and hugs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinkflower66 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2011, 02:42 AM

Goonies never say die...

My Mood/Status:
lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
She doesn't like her crate when she's scared. We always leash her to leave the fenced yard so she's safe from running away at the sound of a firecracker. Tonight when they started I gave her a tennis ball and took her for a drive. She was pretty content. We may end up doing the same thing tomorrow instead of going up the mountain. Poor girl. When we're home and she's scared she insists on sitting on top of me and shaking and crying. I just wrap her up in her blanket and hold her. She can't wait for this holiday to be over!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:07 AM

Is it Friday yet?

My Mood/Status:
KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I feel your pain! As soon as the fireworks start, he starts pacing and barking. The barking will not stop. He is the same way during thunderstorms. It seems that nothing I do will stop him from stressing out.
I am with you.. Not looking forward to tonight!
Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to KarmaVB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2011, 11:48 AM

9/22 I had a BEAUTIFUL baby girl!

My Mood/Status:
misticmimic has posted more than 100 good deals!misticmimic has posted more than 100 good deals!
I know how you feel, my poor dogs are horribly frightened of the stupid fireworks. I have a Papillon kennel and I pet sit. I don't even live in town but they get scared. The husky I'm watching busted down my front door yesterday because they dog door was latched. So after dinner with my friend at 5 all 9 papillons and the 2 large dogs I'm watching will pile into my HHR and head to the mountains for a few hours. My vet said you can use a sedative, but I don't like to drug my furbabies.
The Following User Says Thank You to misticmimic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2011, 11:58 AM

Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I'm sorry your dog(s) have a hard time with the fireworks.
We are in Austin, Tx and all of the puppies in central Texas will have a normal quiet night tonight. We are experiencing extreme drought and counties have banned all sales and use of fireworks by the public (most official fireworks have been cancelled too. In one of the counties it is a Misdemeanor Class B with possible jail time.

Anyhow, the drought is horrible for us, at least our four-legged friends will have a calm night. I hope all of your puppies wont get too scared/irritated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dannae7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2011, 11:58 AM

My Mood/Status:
2formeoneforyou has posted more than 25 good deals
Hi, my 11 mo old puppy is afraid of thunder and fireworks . I plan to head down stairs with my two dogs with my laptop and stay with them, they will just lay on the couch with me till its over . I had plans today but canceled them all b/c I did not want my baby to be alone .
The Following User Says Thank You to 2formeoneforyou For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 PM

Lift while you climb

My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
One of my babies is terrified of the fireworks and thunder too. If we're not here, she's in her cage and she'll literally try to scratch her way out. Poor thing, she does a number on her paws. We came back early enough last night to let her out so she could hide from the noises.

She still gets frantic and tries to crawl under small tables that she's too big to be under. In bad storms we'll give her a benadryl to calm her down and fix a box by wherever we're sitting so she can snuggle down into it and still be close. She'll still shake and whine, but she's better than when she's by herself. The other two could care less. If they didn't mind the rain so much, I think they'd be out playing in the yard and pay no mind to the noise.

The good thing to keep in mind is that it's only for a couple days. They started last night and will shoot them off tonight and probably tomorrow, then they'll be done until Labor day.

DELTA region for Kroger stores

Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tratra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2011, 05:17 PM

Goonies never say die...

My Mood/Status:
My poor dog found a way to squeeze under the bed. She doesn't fit at all but found a way. Poor little girl. My husband swears if we take her outside and don't giver her any attention when she freaks out she'll get over it. I won't let him. I keep telling him that it's innate in dogs and it's not a learned behavior. Poor girl.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:43 PM

My Mood/Status:
2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
You should ask your vet for something to take the edge off..we had a ton on RX's for acepromazine this week for pups that don't do well with the fireworks..just enough to let them be able to handle the stress..
Old 07-04-2011, 06:00 PM

Is it Friday yet?

My Mood/Status:
KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KarmaVB has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blacklabs
You should ask your vet for something to take the edge off..we had a ton on RX's for acepromazine this week for pups that don't do well with the fireworks..just enough to let them be able to handle the stress..
Thats a good idea. My big old lab is currently stressing because of some thunderstorms. He has gotten worse in his old age
Old 07-04-2011, 06:21 PM

threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
How weird is it that my dog is scared of cardboard boxes, men, people with hats, etc. but when it comes to fireworks, when we light them off here she tries to chase after them?! I don't understand her but love her anyways!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threelittlecupcakes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 08:25 AM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisbell View Post
My poor dog found a way to squeeze under the bed. She doesn't fit at all but found a way. Poor little girl. My husband swears if we take her outside and don't giver her any attention when she freaks out she'll get over it. I won't let him. I keep telling him that it's innate in dogs and it's not a learned behavior. Poor girl.
I know I am a little late in responding but there is always next year...

Your husband is partially right. While I might not take her outside and force her to be around the noise, you never want to coddle a dog when she is in a scared frame of mind. To do so would be giving her positive re enforcement of the undesired behavior. No special pets, attention, "it's O.K's", etc.. If she can be distracted by the fear with a favorite bone, toy or game that is ideal. Otherwise keep it business as usual (although I would recommend being home with her and being able to monitor her in case a full blown panic attack sets in). If she is in such distress that you feel there might be negative physiological effects, then you should see a vet for something to take the edge off (and to be sure she can take the medicine).
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 05:24 PM

Goonies never say die...

My Mood/Status:
I did a little coddling this year. I suppose next year I'll curl up with a book in the guest bedroom and let DH hang out with the dog and see if he can help her. I'm too soft! He can do it, he says, for her own good. I am glad it's over. We are still getting a few random ones at night but it's trailing off.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:57 PM

My Mood/Status:
goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Ok try this one .My husband bought me 2 mediteranean donkeys a goat and a lamb that are best friends for my birthday ..not what I wanted but. fireworks scared the bejeebers out of them all and I thought I was going to have a stampede on my hands !!! Gonna give a written list for my birthday next year.