Is Expensive Dog Food Worth The Price?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 10:19 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
is expensive dog food worth the price?

We just got a puppy. The woman who we got him from gave us a small bag of the food that he had been eating. It's Purina Pro Plan, which I can only find at Petsmart. It's $10.99-$13.99 for a 6 pound bag, which just seems like so much to me. He's tiny, so he won't eat much but still... I know I can get a 20 lb bag of regular Purina for about $10.

Is it worth it to buy the expensive food? will he be healthier? I've head they will eat less of the expensive food... I don't know. I would love any advice! thanks!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 10:44 AM

RE: is expensive dog food worth the price?

Ready for Vacation !

My Mood/Status:
phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
thanks for posting this. i am curious on this answer as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to phoopaugh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 10:50 AM

probably at Target
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
the less expensive foods have alot of fillers that do nothing except make your dog poop alot so I would have to say yes, its worth the extra money.

I don't use ProPlan personally but I've heard good things about it.

I feed my dogs Nutro Natural Choice which runs about $44 for a 35 pound bag. My dogs skin and coat are super shiney and they've had no health issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~I will not run in the rain, I will not run near a train. I will not run when it's hot, Enjoy running? I do not ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rescue a pet today~~they'll be forever grateful

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AngieP For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 AM

Meow

My Mood/Status:
endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Please look at the link below go to 1 star and you will find Purinia. Look at the ingredients. Then look at the other 5,4,3,2 star foods. On the left hand side of the site is also various topics that you may want to read.
You have a chance with a new puppy to make a great health decision that can affect its whole life and your future vet bills. Problem with some of the most expensive is very little coupons.

Personally I'd read the best ingredients and try to find a food in my price range that can meat the most important part of the equation ie. less fillers,less byproducts.

Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings

Cat Lover.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to endlesoul For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Goonies Never say Die...

My Mood/Status:
Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Ive used expensive puppy and dog foods. I now feed her Purina Little Bites. Its a medium price range. She does so Beautiful on it. (And her name is Beautiful)

SHe is happy and healthy. She is a tiny dog who should weigh 9 pouns but is now about 12 pounds (She's on a diet and has lost a couple pounds already). She lives a more active life than any other little ShihTzu I know. She hikes a couple mornings a week. Plus, she runs around a horse field and climbs 8' tall hay stacks by jumping up from bail to bail.

She was at the vet last week for a check up. I asked about food specifically because Beautiful had gained so much weight. He told me that she is in better than perfect health even with those extra 2-3 pounds. I was told to keep her on what she eatsbecause she wouldnt be able to keep up in all her activities every day if it wasnt good food.

I know I babble about my animals. Cant help it I love them so much.

PS. WHat kind of puppy?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:05 AM

My Mood/Status:
5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I only buy my cats expensive food I feed them taste of the wild which is 27.99 +tax for a 15LB bag because it is made with all natural ingredients no fillers which is not good for them and my husband also feeds his dog taste of the wild...which is also 27.99 for a 15LB bag.They like it and it is good for them and yes when you feed them products that are all natural or hallistic (how ever you spell it) they fill up faster and you dont have to feed as much. Other good foods are canidie,acana,merrick,evangers and solid gold. You might have to go to a feed store for some of these products but it is worth it. The only gripe I have with my cats is that it makes there pooh real stinky . Other than that I love all natural pet food. Because my cats are my children and I only give them the best...
(15)
(13):
9and 6

:

Last edited by 5forme; 11-10-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: wrong price
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5forme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 11:05 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Our Vet always told us to use any of the Purina foods for our dogs. Just don't feed them Purina 1 unless you plan on keeping them on it - my Springer refused all other dog foods after trying that one. She liked the lamb and rice variety. Then again she also liked veggies to the point you had to share or you were not going to get any yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 11:20 AM

My Mood/Status:
gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gravyqueen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatie View Post
PS. WHat kind of puppy?
He's a poodle named Ludo (he's in my picture). He's 5 months, 1 week old. We've had him about 3 weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to gravyqueen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 AM

Goonies Never say Die...

My Mood/Status:
Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Weatie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
HEHEHE he's a cutie.

Soooo sweet.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:23 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLance68 View Post
Our Vet always told us to use any of the Purina foods for our dogs. Just don't feed them Purina 1 unless you plan on keeping them on it - my Springer refused all other dog foods after trying that one. She liked the lamb and rice variety. Then again she also liked veggies to the point you had to share or you were not going to get any yourself.
We got a small bag of the Purina Pro Plan Puppy, chicken with rice ($10.99). I had a $5 off coupon, so it was $5.99 for 6 lbs. I fed it to him for breakfast and he loved it. Glad to hear that your vet tells you to feed it to your dogs Purina. It took me 20 minutes to decide what to buy yesterday at Petsmart and I'm still not sure it's the right thing. At least he likes it...

Last edited by gravyqueen; 11-10-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:28 PM

can't wait to go to rite aid again hahah

My Mood/Status:
shannonoverman has posted more than 200 great deals!shannonoverman has posted more than 200 great deals!shannonoverman has posted more than 200 great deals!
I have a Basset Hound with allergies from certain fillers. The Vet suggested using a better quality dog food like Pro Plan and mixing it 50/50 with a regular dog food that had less fillers in it. We started this about 18 months ago and he is doing great on it. Since we started doing this he has had no skin reactions and his coat is smooth and he is a lot happier. You're dog is too cute.
The Following User Says Thank You to shannonoverman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 12:55 PM

loving it!

My Mood/Status:
vicki48 has posted more than 150 good deals!vicki48 has posted more than 150 good deals!
We feed Blue to our Lab, it has no fillers. We just got a Schnauzer and he is on Wellness. They are both on high protien low fat food with no corn which dogs cant digest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicki48 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 PM

excited about Mega Sale 7/13!

My Mood/Status:
Candice88 has posted more than 200 great deals!Candice88 has posted more than 200 great deals!Candice88 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I have my Aussie pup on Innova and I don't think I will ever feed her anything else. Her coat stays long and super soft, she always smells good, super healthy and is growing perfectly. We feed her less than you do with less expensive foods. Her 30 lb bag is about 50 bucks at the feed store (and the feed store usually has coupons in valupacks) and she is 10 months now and only just started her 3rd bag (I think we also bought a couple small ones with free bag coupons). In the long run they have a longer life span with less health problems with more expensive food.
With a poodle (looks like a toy size not standard right?) they will eat a little less so the bags would last longer, and the potential to avoid health problems is usually worth it. I second the recomendation to check out the dog food analysis site, you should be able to find a medium starred food that fits in your budget.

Living and loving with my SO and our wonderful puppy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Candice88 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2010, 04:46 AM

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be...

My Mood/Status:
BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I feed my cat Science Diet (also at PetSmart, also expensive). I used to feed him Purina One (grocery store, much cheaper) and then tried the more expensive food because I had a coupon Yes, I can tell a difference! His fur is much thicker and fluffier, and he just seems overall more healthy and energetic. Worth it to me...now I search for ways to get more of those coupons that make it affordable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueMoon187 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2010, 05:55 AM

My Mood/Status:
crazycereal has posted more than 25 good deals
If you have a tractor supply in your area they have their own brand of grain free dog and cat food called 4health. We pay $30 for a 35# bag of dog food and $7 for a 5# bag of cat food and it lasts our 3 (50 lbs each) dogs a full 2 weeks and lasts the cat about 3 weeks. None of them have ever turned their nose up at it and they all have beautiful shiny coats. If you break it down it comes to $5.00 per dog per week to feed them this food, which is a GREAT price. Less filler = less waste = less poo to clean up.
The Following User Says Thank You to crazycereal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2010, 08:43 AM

LemurLove has posted more than 25 good deals
Yes. There are health benefits of a better quality food as others have stated above but food can also impact behavior. All the cheap fillers are typically grain based which can cause your dog to become very hyper.
The Following User Says Thank You to LemurLove For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2010, 09:29 AM

My Mood/Status:
5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!5forme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
And another note alot of these grocery store brands like Iams and such they do horrible tests on animals and that is the one reason I turned to all natural pet food in the first place then I learned more about all natural and I have bought it ever sense...
(15)
(13):
9and 6

:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5forme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2010, 09:36 AM

Goonies Never say Die...

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5forme View Post
And another note alot of these grocery store brands like Iams and such they do horrible tests on animals and that is the one reason I turned to all natural pet food in the first place then I learned more about all natural and I have bought it ever sense...
WHAT? Who does?
I would like to see those reports.
What other brands besides Iams are doing the horrible tests? What kind of testing? I would like to know more about this. Its the 1st Ive heard of other companies besideds Iams. Im not convinced all thats said on them is true.

Last edited by Weatie; 11-11-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:51 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice88 View Post
With a poodle (looks like a toy size not standard right?) they will eat a little less so the bags would last longer, and the potential to avoid health problems is usually worth it. I second the recomendation to check out the dog food analysis site, you should be able to find a medium starred food that fits in your budget.
he's 3-4lbs right now, will be 7-10 full grown. he absolutely loves the purina pro plan that we got him. I need to read up some more on what's best for him. I would much rather pay less for food but if buying the more expensive is going to mean healthier/longer life/fewer vet visits, it's definitely worth spending more.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:52 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemurLove View Post
Yes. There are health benefits of a better quality food as others have stated above but food can also impact behavior. All the cheap fillers are typically grain based which can cause your dog to become very hyper.
he's always hyper, he's a puppy.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:56 AM

My Mood/Status:
I think Iams is the only one I have heard of. I just put Iams and animal testing into the search and some stuff came up. It was horrible to watch. But of course it is a peta site so Im not sure how much rains true.
(15)
(13):
9and 6

:

Last edited by 5forme; 11-11-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-11-2010, 10:56 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I don't think expense is the test of what is good and what is not. Look at the ingredients and look for protein in the first ingredients with not a lot of fillers (IMO). Your dog is small, so she won't eat alot in comparison to my monster who is 85 pounds and huge!! He eat's at least 5 cups of food a day!! I can't buy the crazy expensive stuff because i also need to feed my kids!
The Following User Says Thank You to stefani1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 AM

:(
Steelers Fan

My Mood/Status:
manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have 2 poms. (now 3 but long story)

Both of mine were started on Iams, and left on Iams. They eat a 6lb bag of food roughly in 6-8 weeks.

So i can justify the price.

Now i have a 3rd, who is now only on Beneful wet food.
Good thing there are coupons out for it or i'd be in trouble!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:25 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefani1 View Post
I don't think expense is the test of what is good and what is not. Look at the ingredients and look for protein in the first ingredients with not a lot of fillers (IMO). Your dog is small, so she won't eat alot in comparison to my monster who is 85 pounds and huge!! He eat's at least 5 cups of food a day!! I can't buy the crazy expensive stuff because i also need to feed my kids!
I'm hoping that the 6 lb bag that I bought will last a while. The back of the bag says that he should eat 2/3-1 cup per day. He's loving it, so he's actually eat everything that we're giving him, unlike the food he came with.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Goonies Never say Die...

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by manders13 View Post
I have 2 poms. (now 3 but long story)

Both of mine were started on Iams, and left on Iams. They eat a 6lb bag of food roughly in 6-8 weeks.
So i can justify the price.
Now i have a 3rd, who is now only on Beneful wet food.
Good thing there are coupons out for it or i'd be in trouble!
1 six pound bag lasts you that long? And you are feeding 2 Pomeranians? Are they active dogs?
OH MY. My little girl is a piggy.