Companies That Donate To Animal Shelters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 12:57 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
mdg72 has posted more than 50 good deals
Companies that donate to animal shelters

Hello. I am on the Board of Directors on a newly formed no-kill canine shelter in my county. Does anyone know or have a list of companies that donate to animal shelters? We have applied for tax exempt stauts with the IRS and are awaiting assignment of this number. We are set to open October 1st. Any help anyone can provide me is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Melissa
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdg72 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:07 PM

RE: Companies that donate to animal shelters

shops too much!
Be yourself!

My Mood/Status:
Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
They are always asking for donations at Petco so you might want to contact them.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:24 PM

My Mood/Status:
dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Hi,

Until you get the approval of your 1023 to be recognized as a 501(c)(3), then there's limits on what you'd be able to do. Many companies require you to be a 501(c)(3) in order to receive donations.

What you *can* do is start writing to some companies. Depending on what y'all might like to do, Hills (Science Diet) does a shelter feeding program where you'd only have to pay shipping. It does require the shelter to sign an agreement with Hills, which'll make you ineligible to sign a deal with other similar programs. Generally if you end up in one of the shelter feeding programs, then you can't sign up with other shelter feeding programs.

Also, go in and talk to some of the managers/owners at local pet stores. Some stores have different rules/regulations in place. But others will call you to pick up broken bags of food or supplies. You might end up with supplies your shelter can't actually use, so you'll also want to work with other groups so that if you get something you can't use, you can see who can use it. Purr Paws does sometimes get dog food donated, and we don't really do dogs (unless it's one of those friends of a volunteer type thing). So we'll pass it over to another group, or (depending on the food) use it as raccoon food to help with the groups who feed ferals and do TNR.

But getting in good with management at various stores can be handy. Have your volunteers talk with their employers, and vendors. Sometimes vendors who are setting up their own displays in stores will leave samples or ripped bags as well.

Since you are on AFC, then you know to get your volunteers to collect coupons that you might be able to use also. We (me and another volunteer) are almost finished getting the almost 400 bags of 16oz Kitten Chow w/the coupons. Spent probably $75-$80 on the coupons, but we got a lot of (now very!) cheap food. And several of our vets like the Purina "Chow" line (Kitten Chow, Cat Chow), although I refuse to feed anything with red dyes.

The Purina One coupons that came out 8/15 SS can come in rather handy, b/c around here most of the Krogers and Randalls are having the 6oz bags of Purina One. And then (depending on policies at the store) you may be able to use the $2/1 on any to get the 6oz ($1 bag) and let the other $1 go towards getting a regular small bag of the food.

Do some research into pet / veterinary wholesalers in your area as well. Sometimes you can get some great deals on clearance stuff if you have an account with them. That's honestly one of the first things I did when we got our 501(c)(3) in '06. I setup an account with several different local (or within a couple hours) wholesalers.

Della
If we don't have what you are looking for, please email us and
we're more than happy to work with other groups to find you the perfect companion.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:34 PM

My Mood/Status:
mdg72 has posted more than 50 good deals
Thanks so much!!!

Della, you don't know how much I appreciate all the information you gave me!! I check out all these leads. I'll probably keep in touch with you for any suggestions you can provide. If there is ever anything I can do to help you, please let me know. Melissa
Old 12-16-2010, 04:34 PM

My Mood/Status:
tycomom has posted more than 200 great deals!tycomom has posted more than 200 great deals!tycomom has posted more than 200 great deals!
Nutro does but they usually have it picked up by shelter/organization monthly at factory location. There is only 2 I know of -CA and TN. Call around to all your local dog food factory locations, I am sure they do donation programs. Nutro requires proof of tax exempt status/tax documentation due to fraud. I have heard Pedigree offers a program in their tv ads. Hope this helps (Yes my husband works at Nutro)