HELP! My Beagle Keeps Wetting The Bed (MY Bed!)

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
is in love with her nephew Benjamin!

My Mood/Status:
megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Help Sign HELP! My beagle keeps wetting the bed (MY bed!)

This is kind of a long story, but here goes...

When we rescued our beagle, we were told he was a bealge/basset mix. My DH wanted a basset, so he was ok with the mix of beagle/basset. As our sweet puppy grew, he became a bit of a terror and my DH decided we needed another dog. So we rescued a redbone coonhound puppy. The beagle was really rough on the coonhound and has become quit the bully.

Of course my DH loves Red (the coonhound) and he is now considered my DH's dog while Trigger (the beagle) is my dog. My DH has always been a little mean to Trigger, showing favoritism towards Red and stuff like that. Well, one night Trigger started a fight (over food, like usual) and my DH got mad and put Trigger in his kennel as punishment (I know you shouldn't do that, but you can't tell DH anything...he is always right). So when I went to bed, I took the dogs with me. They both sleep with us. Or I should say they share my side of the king size bed while DH gets the whole other half to himself.

Anyway...when Trigger jumped up on the bed, he piddled a little on DH's side of the bed. I thought it was funny, like Trigger was paying DH back. And he didn't do it after that, so I of course never mentioned it to DH. And Trigger hadn't peed on the bed for a long time.

Then last week Trigger started doing it again, only this time he is also peeing on my side of the bed too. He only does it if they go up to bed with me and DH stays downstairs. If DH goes to bed first or he gets upstairs before me, Trigger won't do it.

I rarely punish Trigger (he's a momma's boy!) so I'm not sure why he is doing that on my side of the bed. I can't get him to stop. I tell him he is a bad dog and rub his nose in it, but that hasn't done any good.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to break him of this new habit? My bed doesn't smell (YET) and I don't want it to, because then I will have to tell DH what Trigger has been doing this whole time.

Also, can anyone tell me a good way to clean a mattress?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to megja1 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010, 08:57 AM

RE: HELP! My beagle keeps wetting the bed (MY bed!)

My Mood/Status:
mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
i would have him checked out for an infection
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommy1224 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 09:02 AM

is waiting for the weekend

My Mood/Status:
redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I would start taking him out right before bed and giving him a treat when he goes. Then lift him into the bed. Sometimes when they get excited, they will piddle. Positive Reinforcement works so much better than punishment (although I know sometimes that's hard!!!)

For your mattress - if you have a steam cleaner, you can use that on it - vinegar and water will kill any odor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redheadinkc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 09:54 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Trigger is the alpha dog because he was there first. He is acting out because of Red & your husband's favoritism. I think you need to restore that order. As long as he feels his position is threatened he will act out in one way or another.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tmy56 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 AM

is in love with her nephew Benjamin!

My Mood/Status:
megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!megja1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Trigger just went to the vet yesterday. He has to have his anal sacs drained periodically, and it was time for that and a nail trim. I thought maybe the problem was because of his anal sacs and thought once that was taken care of, his piddling may stop. But no, it didn't.

As for taking them out right before bed, that's exactly what I do. I let the boys out to the backyard and hang outside with them until they go. They get a treat when they come back inside after going potty. Then it's straight to bed.

And I know Trigger is the alpha male. And he tries to prove it every chance he gets. He steals all the toys and hoards them, physically laying on top of them so Red can't get them. This, of course, makes DH mad becuase Trigger won't share, so DH takes the toys and gives them directly to Red, even if Red didn't want them to begin with.

I think I just need to find a people trainer instead of a dog trainer to iron things out!

Thank you all for your suggestions!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to megja1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 04:00 PM

Loves her Friends! :)

My Mood/Status:
morefree4me has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!morefree4me has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!morefree4me has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!morefree4me has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!morefree4me has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!morefree4me has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!morefree4me has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!morefree4me has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!morefree4me has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!morefree4me has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!morefree4me has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Sorry I don't know what to do. We have a beagle mix also, but I don't let any of the animals sleep in our bed. I don't even let them in our bedroom if I can help it that's our hair free zone.. I hope you can get it figured out!! I don't know what anal sacs are and I don't know if I want to...is it something to do with Beagle mixes? Our vet hasn't mentioned it so maybe I don't need to worry.

~Central Area Kroger Shopper~
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morefree4me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 04:06 PM

:)
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
my pup does that to,hes 5 months old so now i have a baby gate up so he cant get in bedrooms at all,so what does he do now he peed on my couch! im at my wits end with him,and dont know what to do,i googled it and i guess alot of dogs do this,i cant stand it.. any help would be great!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kimmyann123 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Nature's Miracle destroys animal odors. You could use it on the mattress, but would need to have time for it to dry before you can sleep in the bed.
Get a waterproof mattress cover. Mine has saved me a lot of grief with one of my cats.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cadnil For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 04:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Could be Trigger is trying to show some sort of alpha doggy thing by marking his space..and letting Red know he is the alpha dog..tell hubby to cut Trigger some slack he was there first!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2blacklabs For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2010, 11:13 AM

kellkellkell has posted more than 1 good deal
Hi I was wondering if you ever found a resolution to the problem. I also have a Beagle and she just started doing this as well. I am thinking its because she is about to go in heat...thanks!!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:25 AM

My Mood/Status:
4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
It sounds like he is marking his territory, If it was me I would ban him from the bedroom-to re-establish that this is you/Hubby's territory. You need to send a clear message his behavior is unacceptable/will not be tolerated, or it may spiral out of control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Frugalista mom to:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD(12),
DS(9),
DD(8), Twin Girls (7)