Need Dog Help ... Anyone Have Experience With Dog Training Or Know A Lot About Dogs ?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Ecofriendly Consumer

My Mood/Status:
autumnrainbow has posted more than 300 great deals!autumnrainbow has posted more than 300 great deals!autumnrainbow has posted more than 300 great deals!autumnrainbow has posted more than 300 great deals!
Need Dog Help ... Anyone have experience with dog training or know a lot about dogs ?

Hey,

I hope someone will have some advice on this. I got a two year old female beagle/daschund mix from some people on craigslist. She had been around kids and was supposed to be housetrained so i thougth she would be a good dog to get for my son and I. She has also been in the house a lot and I live in an apartment, so that was a good thing.

Well , it appears she has never been trained to do much of anything. I know she is in transition and she is also in heat, so perhaps some of these problems will go away in awhile... but I am not sure..

1. She nips when she plays. She nipped my son on the hand. She kind of made a grr noise and it scared him, but I do not think she was being agressive. I think she was trying to play and beagles do make semi=growling noises when they play.... She also tried to chew on my hand. I dont think she would bite him, but I do not want him to be afraid of her...She needs to learn to be gentle with him

2. Humping my leg - Could be that she is in heat or could be dominance. She has been in heat for at least three weeks.... I feel like it should be over soon, but her privates are still swollen up..I need to get her spayed, but I am waiting for the heat cycle to end to schedule it.

3. Wildness and not liking to be left alone. She cries when I leave her alone. I am gone for approx 11 hours during the day (8 hours for work, hour lunch and almost an hour back and forth-not atypical). Before she was living with another dog and a stay at home mom, so maybe a lot of her problems are just from loneliness. When I come home she is incredibly wild. I can barely get her to calm down enough to put her leash on her. She jumps all over me and my son. Even after a twenty minute or so walk she is still wired (a longer walk would be better i know, but it is winter and it gets dark early and she starts to shiver).

4. Does not walk well on her leash. Tries to pull everywhere. hard to control. My son will run ahead and then she goes crazy trying to chase him... I don't think she has been leashed much.

5. She pees on her potty pad when I am gone, but she wont poop on it ? Why is this ? It makes no sense to me.... She will poop right near it but not on it, like she knows that is the area...

So, my conclusions are this. She definetly needs some obedience trainings, but I wonder if she would improve 1. when she is over her heat. 2. when she adjusts more to living with me and the long hours away. or 3. She is really going to need another doggie companion during the day to not get so bored and lonely.

So, meaning if I do end up getting another dog. First I want to get her spayed, then I would want to get the other dog. Then do training, because there are discounts for multiple dogs and the other dog will most likely benefit from some training as well.

Thanks for the info. I am on a semi-tight budget. I can afford some training, but I need to keep it as inexpensive as possible. Same for getting another dog. If I can find one for free with its shots and fixed or rescue one already spayed/neutered ect then that would be an option as well.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, mom to Francis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Lucy
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 09:14 AM

RE: Need Dog Help ... Anyone have experience with dog training or know a lot about dogs ?

My Mood/Status:
poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have heard of dogs that will not pee and then poop on the same potty pad- maybe put two a few feet apart? I got a dog on CL and was told she was house broken- they lied as well. Uggh it irritates me. But it happens- good luck!

Always looking for a deal!
The Following User Says Thank You to poshpoodle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 AM

RE: Need Dog Help ... Anyone have experience with dog training or know a lot about dogs ?

Ecofriendly Consumer

My Mood/Status:
autumnrainbow has posted more than 300 great deals!autumnrainbow has posted more than 300 great deals!autumnrainbow has posted more than 300 great deals!autumnrainbow has posted more than 300 great deals!
I think she is housebroken, just not well. I guess it depends on your definition of housebroken. They probably let her out every two hours and considered that housetrained. Well not really.... She will usually go if we go outside, but then sometimes she wont and she will go half and hour later. And she doesn't alert me in any way that she needs to go out, she just goes in the floor or on the potty pad, even if I am right in the next room.....

Sometimes I think she is trying to get my attention to go out barking, but then I take her out and she doesn't do anything.. So i guess she just wanted attention and it had nothing to do with having to go... It is hard to tell if she has to go, because she barks a lot and it doesn't seem to ever mean " I have to go potty now." Sometimes she will go sit by the door, but same thing. She doesn't need to potty, she just wants to go out and walk....
, mom to Francis
and Lucy
The Following User Says Thank You to autumnrainbow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2010, 09:26 AM

wait a second, I might have a coupon for that!
Looking for my other flip flop!

My Mood/Status:
ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Autumnrainbow,

Some general comments to help:

1) Take your dog to the vet to rule out any medical issues and get her spayed, SOON. Her behavior is likely to change dramatically for the better after this.

2) Beagles tend to respond well to ALOT of exercise! A tired dog is a happy dog. Make sure that you are walking her using a collar that tightens as she pulls, this will help with the leash training and allow her to exert more self-control on her leash walks. Also, use a retractable leash, so that you can pull her closer or further away, this will also help with leash training. If this dog is living in an apartment it should be walking on leash 2-3 miles per day, every day. This will do much more to help her behavior than any training class!

3) Beagles are VERY headstrong and are scent-driven, so make sure that you thoroughly clean and disinfect any areas the dog is pooing that you don't want them to. Start leaving a little of her poo on puppy pad close to the pee pad, she will get the idea. Some people (me included) don't use the pads at all and think they encourage improper indoor elimination, just make sure the dog is walked right when you leave and right when you get home and that you leave her in an area she can't damage if she has an accident.

4) Everyone has a different opinion, but I don't think that adding another dog to the mix is the answer. Get this one straightened out first.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
BoxerCrazy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!BoxerCrazy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!BoxerCrazy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!BoxerCrazy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!BoxerCrazy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!BoxerCrazy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!BoxerCrazy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I would definetley get her spayed ASAP. That would help alot plus it would help her health too. It also sounds like she has seperation anxiety. I would seek a professional like a trainer to help you.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:29 AM

is thankful for holidays that bring family home

My Mood/Status:
brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
look for episodes on dog whisperer that relate to these issues...may find some tips
Dog Whisperer Home | Cesar Millan
-
- - Brook6 - -
-
-
- -

> - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - >
-
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brook6 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Ecofriendly Consumer

My Mood/Status:
Well should I just try to find her another home ? I thought because she was used to living indoors a twenty minute walk would probably be enough most days. I don't see any way I am going to have time to walk her two miles a day, with my six year old son. If my fiance gets his truck fixed maybe he can come over some days and take her for a midday walk, but his truck is not running right now. I mean I really love her, but I want her to have the best home possible. If she is not going to do well in an apartment, I would rather find her a home with a yard than make her stay with me.

I had some concern about that when I got her, but her previous owner said she was used to being inside most of the time... so I thought she would do okay...
, mom to Francis
and Lucy
Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 AM

Ecofriendly Consumer

My Mood/Status:
Well it says online it should only take 30 minutes to walk two miles... but I would say we are not going to get to that until she gets better on the leash, because she is always wanting to sniff around and then run, so I keep stopping to try to make her stop and walk with me...... We probably only make a mile in that amount of time...
, mom to Francis
and Lucy
Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 AM

Ecofriendly Consumer

My Mood/Status:
Well it says two miles is only 30 minutes. Problem is she only spends half that time actually walking.. or less. She pulls, she sniffs, she runs, but she doesnt WALK. Maybe a different collar and leash will help correct that. I try to stop and loosen the leash the jerk it a bit to get her attention but once we start moving again she does the same thing... it is just over and over.... I can't seem to get the point across. I don't mind jogging with her for a bit, but once again she won't jog with me, she always has to run ahead....
, mom to Francis
and Lucy
Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 AM

Ecofriendly Consumer

My Mood/Status:
I didn't actually intend to use the puppy pads either, but she kept going in the house while I was gone. eleven hours is a long time to go without I think, especially if I have an appointment or something and get home later. Sometimes she seems to hold it okay all day, but somedays she doesn't. Anyways, I would rather her use the pad , especially for pee . I have a spot bot and I got some cleaner for pets to put in it , so it should be pretty well cleaned... It may have a scent left, but it shouldnt. I know they have some stuff at the pet store for that. I may get some and just spray it after the spot bot for double disinfecting power.
, mom to Francis
and Lucy
Old 02-11-2010, 10:06 AM

Farm life is the best life!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
As a professional pet sitter/ dog walker I would recommend hiring one to take her for a walk at least once while you are at work.

I would check Home for one in your area that is bonded and insured. They must be to list on the site.

I agree with the above check out The Dog Whisper's vidoes and also get her "fixed" ASAP! Also a 3+ week heat is a little long. They only normally last 2 -3 weeks.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntinglabmom05 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 AM

Ecofriendly Consumer

My Mood/Status:
I know, I hope her long heat cycle is not due to some health problem. I got her about three weeks ago and if she wasn't in heat when I got her it was very soon after. I keep thinking, well it should be over now, but it still isn't !! I can tell she is in it because it is swollen...... otherwise I would think the humping was maybe just her dominance behaviour, but she is definetly still in heat as of this morning....
, mom to Francis
and Lucy
Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 AM

Ecofriendly Consumer

My Mood/Status:
How much does a dog walker cost ? I am seeing $15 for a walk, which is steep ! It would be cheaper to pay for my fiance to get his trucked fixed so he can come walk her ! Now, If there was someone living in my complex that would do it cheaply... maybe a college student... that might be an option. Too bad I don't live right next to the University like I used to, because I had friends that would probably love to do it for a few bucks a week. I have one in mind right now, too bad he has no car and no license....
, mom to Francis
and Lucy
Old 02-14-2010, 07:31 PM

My Mood/Status:
2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
1. If she nips you need to let her know YOU are the dominate! If you need to grab her muzzle and be firm. Biting and nipping are a NO
2. A female humping again is a dominate trait.. Remove her and tell her NO you are in charge..
If you have a crate after NO it may be a option
3. Ignore her when you come home until she calms down do not even acknowledge her until she is calm then give a treat and praise.
4. Try the gentle leader or wacky walkers they work great.
5. Get her spayed.. if she is not pooping on her pee pad is she pooping in the crate or not at all??
Old 02-14-2010, 09:04 PM

My Mood/Status:
2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I always take about 20 minutes to walk 1 and maybe 1/2 mile with my dogs..2 miles would have to be a really fast pace with no pee breaks
Old 02-14-2010, 09:55 PM

HWSaves$

My Mood/Status:
hawilliams27 has posted more than 10 good deals
A couple of things that worked for me with both of my dogs:
1. About the biting/nipping when playing: It is never okay for them to put their teeth on a human and the best way to let them know this is to show that you are in pain when they bite you. When they are very young and play too rough with their litter mates, the puppy that gets hurt will yelp loudly and stop playing immediately. This is exactly what I do: The dog put its teeth on me. I basically yelp as if I am a hurt puppy, stop playing and leave the room immediately, going into the bedroom and shutting the door behind me. After a few times they get a clue that it's not a wanted behavior. I even do this when my dogs get a piece of clothing such as a sock. I don't want them to associate these things as being okay to bite because they may decide to bite a sock while it is on your son's foot.
2. Dogs sometimes will urinate but definitely will not choose to poop near their sleeping or eating space so make sure her piddle pad isn't near either one of those spots. She may even be seeing the piddle pad as a barrier between where she poops and where she eats or sleeps. Also, when the dog does urinate/poop where you want her to, try to catch her when she is in the act and let her know that she's doing a good thing by going in that spot.
3. Having her spayed will help with some of her excitement issues but do make sure when you leave her for the 11 hours that she has plenty of toys to play with to keep her busy. I leave my dogs with a kong chew toy stuffed with peanut butter. This way they have something to direct some energy to. Still though, when you come home you do need to make sure you're not showing any positive emotion whenever she is behaving wildly. Don't pet, say her name or show eye contact until she is calm. This way she knows that acting crazy doesn't get her what she wants, being calm does.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 AM

Ecofriendly Consumer

My Mood/Status:
Well here is what I have been doing. I saw something online about taking away her favorite toys until you come home and then using them to distract. So I come home and throw them down, but otherwise say nothing to her. Seems to be working well. Still working on the potty training, but she had no accidents yesterday so that is good. Hopefully today will be the same. She seems to be able to wait to go outside, I have no idea why she doesn't always do it.... Some days I will be gone eleven hours and come home and she has not gone anywhere, so I take her out and she goes. other days she goes in the floor in the middle of the night or during the day while I am gone... No idea what the difference is. I have also been taking her food away right when I come home and giving it back only during the night.. although I dont think she even ate any last night.

She hasn't been eating a lot, which is maybe something to be worried about though.

Going to try to get her spayed within two weeks, since I think her heat is over. She is still swollen, but maybe that is just normal for her. She doesn't seem to be humping anymore.
, mom to Francis
and Lucy