How To Fatten My Dog Up????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
slbutler has posted more than 100 good deals!slbutler has posted more than 100 good deals!
Animals How to fatten my dog up????

I have a Lab that stays outside. If anyone knows about dogs, they know Labs are not fat dogs. But I can't seem to get any meat on her. She doesn't act unhealthy, she jumps and runs and plays. She picks and chooses which dog foods she wants to eat so I try to give her scraps, but we don't always have that much to give her. And seeing as how I have been laid off since last Feb, we don't have a lot of money to spend on her. I've cooked dried beans or rice with bacon grease and even mix it with cheap dog food to help fill her up. Does anyone have any ideas of anything else I can do that won't break me???
The Following User Says Thank You to slbutler For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:00 PM

RE: How to fatten my dog up????

So ready for the holidays!!!
Busy as a bee!

My Mood/Status:
naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
She picks and chooses which dog food she wants to eat? What does that mean? Do you buy different kinds for her? Maybe she prefers one brand. Pedigree won't break you, I don't think (what will break you (general you) is an objective thing). Maybe stick with one.

Bacon grease probably isn't the best thing for your pup. What does your vet say?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:52 PM

My Mood/Status:
poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Are you sure she is not diabetic? Does he/she drink excessively- If any of these are factors you may want to have blood work done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always looking for a deal!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM

rentel has posted more than 25 good deals
I have a inside pekengnese. He is 6 years old. I have fed him science diet all his life. I either get coupons off their website. Or I find refund forms for money back. It is a little pricey but it goes a long way. Theres always refunds and cashoff on cat and dog food.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 PM

loving walgreens right now!

My Mood/Status:
kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
The more expensive food (like science diet) goes a long way because the dog eats a lot less (less fillers). One thing you might need to think about is parasites that he might have picked up from outside....your dog could have worms. My dog did and he wasn't gaining any weight...he needed to, because he was adopted and not well taken care of....

Most vets around me do a stool sample for around $25...and the meds aren't that bad either.
Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
who
my wonderful husband who makes me
everyday and takes care of me
and our two

Planning another major auction!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to kategriffin18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 PM

Grounded for Life

m32127 has posted more than 75 good deals!
feed her rice. you will see the difference in about a week. my dog had not been eatnig and is 10 years old. I fed him rice and he fattened up alot!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:44 PM

So ready for the holidays!!!
Busy as a bee!

My Mood/Status:
naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kategriffin18 View Post
The more expensive food (like science diet) goes a long way because the dog eats a lot less (less fillers). One thing you might need to think about is parasites that he might have picked up from outside....your dog could have worms. My dog did and he wasn't gaining any weight...he needed to, because he was adopted and not well taken care of....

Most vets around me do a stool sample for around $25...and the meds aren't that bad either.
Good luck!
Definitely, this! It slipped my mind. Worms... that's right. The vet would be able to tell you something.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:49 PM

how did I shop before q's?

My Mood/Status:
coley31 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!coley31 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!coley31 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!coley31 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!coley31 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!coley31 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!coley31 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Are you sure he is under weight? Have you weighed him? A dog at the correct weight should have a clearly defined waist when viewed from the top or side, and you should have ribs that are not visible, but are able to be felt when you apply slight pressure while running your finger along the rib cage. Like the above poster said, worms could be a possibility. On a seperate note, most people food (scraps) are not good for dogs. Especially things like bacon fat. They can cause an illness called pancreatitis. If you would like to give occasional people food, try BOILED chicken or hamburger and white rice.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM

My Mood/Status:
4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree with Naturally Sassy probably is worms-If you cannot take her to the vet due to financial issues-Farm and Fleet and TSC and pet supply stores all sell home worming kits. Dogs get worms from their parents and if food is left in a bowl they can ingest the parasites or from laying on the ground in dirt.

Frugalista mom to:
DD(12),
DS(9),
DD(8), Twin Girls (7)
Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM

My Mood/Status:
danamy817 has posted more than 200 great deals!danamy817 has posted more than 200 great deals!danamy817 has posted more than 200 great deals!
First, you need to know that she is really underweight. Rarely are dogs underweight that are being fed on a consistent basis. If she is, she could very well be sick. But seeing ribs, does not mean she is too skinny! There is nothing wrong with a thin dog!! I try to keep my dogs thin enough to see the outline of their last rib in order to combat obesity & joint problems. However, you should never be able to see your dog's spine.

Quality dog food can be more expensive up front, but is cheaper in the long run. You use less & she gets more nutrients. I have researched all kinds of food & am active with my breed club & rescue group. After recommendations & my own research, I have discovered Costco's Kirkland Signature dog food is actually better than my expensive brand & significantly cheaper!! I pay $23-26/40 lb bag! This is really a great price & an excellent product. Much better nutrionally than Pedigree, Alpo, Iams or Science Diet.

I own two ~100 lb dogs & they are fed once a day & receive 2 cups of food. Our boy never wants to eat in the morning, but our girl may get a small cup (her dinner kibble is reduced). We also mix in some scraps, veggies, yogurt, rice, broth, egg, etc as we have available (be aware of what is toxic to dogs first!). An outside and/or more active dog would certainly need more food, but mine are indoors. Do not follow the cups suggested on the dog food bags - I think they are way inflated in order to sell more food.

If your dog really is underweight, your vet should be able to suggest better feeding regimen. There are vet care options available, call your local animal shelter & vets offices. You will have to do lots of calling around, but there are programs out there. If she is dangerously underweight, then look up the recipe for Satin Balls. This is what our rescue group's foster homes feed seriously emaciated dogs in order to get them out of the woods.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danamy817 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 AM

My Mood/Status:
slbutler has posted more than 100 good deals!slbutler has posted more than 100 good deals!
Thank You so much Danamy817. She's not tooskinny,but it seems to be really hard to keep weight on her in the winter. Plus, we have had someone call the city on us before because they said she looked poor. She had 7 puppies and they were at the age of drinking her milk, then eating her food. I am an animal lover and would never neglect my animals. I looked up satin balls and it looks great. As soon as I get to a grocery store (after some of this snow goes away) and my husband gets paid, I will be getting her stuff to make it. Thank you again!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 AM

Yay for spring!
Full price? What's that??

My Mood/Status:
courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Try scrambled eggs- sounds silly, but our vet always recommended that for our German Shepherd- the protein also helps their coats!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:53 AM

My Mood/Status:
danamy817 has posted more than 200 great deals!danamy817 has posted more than 200 great deals!danamy817 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbutler View Post
Thank You so much Danamy817. She's not tooskinny,but it seems to be really hard to keep weight on her in the winter. Plus, we have had someone call the city on us before because they said she looked poor. She had 7 puppies and they were at the age of drinking her milk, then eating her food. I am an animal lover and would never neglect my animals. I looked up satin balls and it looks great. As soon as I get to a grocery store (after some of this snow goes away) and my husband gets paid, I will be getting her stuff to make it. Thank you again!!!!!!
You're welcome.

As a rescuer, I must highly suggest having this dog spayed ASAP (if she isn't already). You've already stated that one dog is a financial drain on your family; I firmly believe that if you can not house/support every pup in addition to the mother, you should not allow your dog to breed. Not to mention how would you handle if something goes wrong with a birth? If a pup gets stuck in the birth canal & you can not afford the vet bill your dog may not survive. AND you would be left having to bottle feed the surviving newborn pups - not easy, fun or cheap.

Nursing mothers will look horrible! Even in the best homes they look emaciated, but being outside in the winter will totally exacerbate her weight loss. After her spay, keeping weight on seems to be much easier. There are also many other health benefits of spaying - which will reduce the cost of ownership & keep your pet around longer!

Again, contact your county animal control about reduced cost or even free spays. A quick Google search will probably give you some info on what's available in your area. Now is definitely the time to take advantage of these programs! With the new year, funds have been re-upped by the city/county/state to the groups that offer these programs. It does take some work on your end - Google & phone calls - but a free or reduced spay really is worth it.

If you would like any help, feel free to PM me. I work with families, shelters & vets with my rescue group. We wouldn't be able to do it without the excellent programs that are out there.

ADD: I did a quick search based on your location in your profile - I found 2 listings for low cost spay services & even an application for voucher for spay that only costs you $25!! That's great!

Last edited by danamy817; 01-07-2010 at 10:00 AM.