Raw Food Diet For Dogs?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:57 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Loving Q's!

My Mood/Status:
Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Question Raw Food Diet for Dogs?

Does anyone do this for their dog? I heard it's really good for them compared to bagged/canned food, any thoughts?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, DS 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, DD2 15 months

Malli
, Oscar
, Bruno
, Jack

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobbsie For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 08:28 AM

RE: Raw Food Diet for Dogs?

So ready for the holidays!!!
Busy as a bee!

My Mood/Status:
naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We read up on it and it sounds wonderful. But, we're lazy.

We feed a high-quality food now and we're happy with it. His coat is super shiny and he's a healthy, healthy boy. 2 days a week, he gets an egg in his food. He also gets a vitamin daily. He does get chicken and brown rice some days. I make it ahead of time and freeze small baggies of it. He loves that. One of our major concerns is the amounts and stuff. It's not certain and we don't want to play around with it. His metabolism is SUPER high, so he'd need to eat all day every day with raw food!

I think it's very good for anyone that wants to do it though. A lady I know that breeds schnauzers ONLY feeds raw. I've tried picking her brain, but it's all so complicated. There are charts that show how much nutrition the dog needs to get down to the minerals! That's too much for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to naturallysassy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 AM

Loving Q's!

My Mood/Status:
Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks! I've seen a bunch of sites and it just seems super complicated! What kind of dog do you have? and food are you using? We have a Belgian Malinois with a strange belly, it can get very upset if she has some of the more expensive foods (which I thought it would be the other way around) Right now we're still trying to figure out what her stomach can handle
, DS 5
, DD2 15 months

Malli
, Oscar
, Bruno
, Jack

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbsie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 AM

Busy as a bee!

My Mood/Status:
naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!naturallysassy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbsie View Post
Thanks! I've seen a bunch of sites and it just seems super complicated! What kind of dog do you have? and food are you using? We have a Belgian Malinois with a strange belly, it can get very upset if she has some of the more expensive foods (which I thought it would be the other way around) Right now we're still trying to figure out what her stomach can handle

I have a miniature schnauzer. His food is Canidae. We went from Pedigree, to some other one, and then Canidae is our final choice. He loves it and he has had no issues with it.

I've never heard of a Belgian Malinois. I'm SO googling that. Ya know... perhaps she has some food allergies. That could definitely be it. What does your vet say? Ask him/her. They could really help out there--so at least you can find a bagged/canned food that works for her while you're still researching the raw feeding option.

Hope you find something. There is a lot of information out there!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 AM

Minky1011 has posted more than 300 great deals!Minky1011 has posted more than 300 great deals!Minky1011 has posted more than 300 great deals!Minky1011 has posted more than 300 great deals!
I thought about looking into this for my dogs, I just don't know if I have the dedication We're trying to rehome our German Shep because we don't have enough time with him, but we also have 2 pomeranians that could benefit from this and not eat me out of house and home like the GS would on it Maybe I'll do some research today
Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 AM

Loving Q's!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallysassy View Post
I have a miniature schnauzer. His food is Canidae. We went from Pedigree, to some other one, and then Canidae is our final choice. He loves it and he has had no issues with it.

I've never heard of a Belgian Malinois. I'm SO googling that. Ya know... perhaps she has some food allergies. That could definitely be it. What does your vet say? Ask him/her. They could really help out there--so at least you can find a bagged/canned food that works for her while you're still researching the raw feeding option.

Hope you find something. There is a lot of information out there!
She was on some "all natural" brand when she was a puppy (we got her from a shelter) but it totally upset her stomach every day, so we switched her to something that helped for awhile then went right back to upset tummies. The vet suggested a HIll Science diet for her but that only helped for a week! She's on Beneful now but I don't like what it does to her coat. I'm really going to just have to research like crazy, I found a site called Bravo and they sell their products near us so I guess a trip is in store to the petstore

Did you google it?
, DS 5
, DD2 15 months

Malli
, Oscar
, Bruno
, Jack

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 AM

shops too much!
Be yourself!

My Mood/Status:
Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Almost any time you change your pup's diet he will suffer some digestive problems until his system can adjust to the new food. It's best to "wean" him by mixing the new food you want to introduce with what he's currently eating and gradually decreasing the amount of "old" food over about a 2 week period.

I don't do the raw thing but I did recently start cooking for my 12 y/o lab mix. I give him a small amount of rice mixed with ground beef, chicken or organ meat (he loves liver...blech!!) and vegetables (usually green beans and sweet potatoes or pumpkin). I also add a supplement called Missing Link (recommended by a holistic vet). He also gets Wellness dry food on the days I don't have the time or desire to cook for him. Since I've been doing this, I have noticed great improvement in his overall health. His coat is shinier, he sheds MUCH less, has less of a "dog" odor about him, has more energy, and his breath smells better. He does have some pretty smelly gas, though...I give him probiotics for this but some days it doesn't seem to help much!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 AM

Loving Q's!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayline View Post
Almost any time you change your pup's diet he will suffer some digestive problems until his system can adjust to the new food. It's best to "wean" him by mixing the new food you want to introduce with what he's currently eating and gradually decreasing the amount of "old" food over about a 2 week period.

I don't do the raw thing but I did recently start cooking for my 12 y/o lab mix. I give him a small amount of rice mixed with ground beef, chicken or organ meat (he loves liver...blech!!) and vegetables (usually green beans and sweet potatoes or pumpkin). I also add a supplement called Missing Link (recommended by a holistic vet). He also gets Wellness dry food on the days I don't have the time or desire to cook for him. Since I've been doing this, I have noticed great improvement in his overall health. His coat is shinier, he sheds MUCH less, has less of a "dog" odor about him, has more energy, and his breath smells better. He does have some pretty smelly gas, though...I give him probiotics for this but some days it doesn't seem to help much!
We've definitely done the weaning thing with the food, once she starts a new one there are no issues for awhile, then all of sudden it goes bad again. Maybe she just has a nervous stomach I don't know.

What is "Missing link"?
, DS 5
, DD2 15 months

Malli
, Oscar
, Bruno
, Jack

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-06-2010, 09:09 AM

threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!threelittlecupcakes has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
naturallysassy, do you mind me asking how much the canidae costs? I went to their site and read the reviews and think I want to put our older golden on the platinum as she is having the normal hip problems goldens get. Just curious for a price before I go to buy so I know what to expect.
The Following User Says Thank You to threelittlecupcakes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 AM

shops too much!
Be yourself!

My Mood/Status:
Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
We've definitely done the weaning thing with the food, once she starts a new one there are no issues for awhile, then all of sudden it goes bad again. Maybe she just has a nervous stomach I don't know.

What is "Missing link"?
How frustrating!! I hope you find a solution for her.

Missing Link is a dietary supplement powder that I mix with Harrison's food. I get it from Petco. It's not cheap, but it lasts quite awhile.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:16 AM

:)
AFC Moderator

My Mood/Status:
Jaime has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jaime has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jaime has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jaime has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jaime has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jaime has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jaime has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jaime has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jaime has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jaime has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jaime has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Very interesting, I've never heard of this before.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:19 AM

shops too much!
Be yourself!

My Mood/Status:
I was a little nervous about cooking for my dog because I didn't know how to make sure he was getting the proper nutrients. Our vet's office has a holistic doctor and she recommended the Missing Link. I'm sure there are other supplements but I just went with her recommendation.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:19 PM

Busy as a bee!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by threelittlecupcakes View Post
naturallysassy, do you mind me asking how much the canidae costs? I went to their site and read the reviews and think I want to put our older golden on the platinum as she is having the normal hip problems goldens get. Just curious for a price before I go to buy so I know what to expect.
Oh sure... no problem! It's about $28 bucks per big bag (it's a BIG bag... it lasts a month ). We feed him twice a day.

Ya know... while I was surfing one day, I found that there are a lot of supplements that you can squeeze on your dog's food that may help with her hip problems. There's still soooo much that I haven't discovered yet and we've had Sam for 3 years!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 PM

Loving Q's!

My Mood/Status:
If anyone is curious, I found this today and think it really makes things pretty simple

Raw Food Diet (FYI: it's in PDF format)

I'll be grabbing meat and such this weekend to try this out. I'm sure our dog will be thrilled seeing as though she already tries to steal our dinner meat.
, DS 5
, DD2 15 months

Malli
, Oscar
, Bruno
, Jack

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-09-2010, 09:37 PM

Loving Q's!

My Mood/Status:
Wanted to update: Dog has been eating Chicken Wings and Drum sticks (all uncooked) She loves them but also likes to drag them around the house (YUCK!)

Found another great list of things to feed and not to feed, veggies and meats and fruits

BARF Diet (Bones and Raw Food)
, DS 5
, DD2 15 months

Malli
, Oscar
, Bruno
, Jack

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-09-2010, 10:02 PM

jlstich has posted more than 300 great deals!jlstich has posted more than 300 great deals!jlstich has posted more than 300 great deals!jlstich has posted more than 300 great deals!
My sister has a pet store doesn't sell pets but all manner of food and supplies. Her biggest seller is Canidie she even donates the bags to feed it to the police dogs. She also has 3 goldens and gives them supplement for the hips and joints. I have went to the big Chicago show where she buys stock for her store and you would not believe all the different products and toys etc. Even meet Dick Van Patten from the old show eight is enough he has a line of dog food.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlstich For This Useful Post: