Know How To Stop Dog "marking" (peeing)?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 08:00 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
frichmeier has posted more than 300 great deals!frichmeier has posted more than 300 great deals!frichmeier has posted more than 300 great deals!frichmeier has posted more than 300 great deals!
know how to stop dog "marking" (peeing)?

I didn't even know there was a pet forum on here!

We have a 9mo. English Springer Spaniel who insists on "marking"/peeing at least once a day in the house and it's driving me crazy! It's in different places in different rooms, usually only happens in the morning though. He's so quick about it that I have only caught him in the act one time. He know when I see it though because as soon as I look at it and call him he runs to his crate which is where we put him for a time out. We do also have another older dog but he pretty much ignores the new dog and they tolerate each other ok.

Any idea on how to stop it would be great! TIA!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frichmeier For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 PM

RE: know how to stop dog "marking" (peeing)?

Lovin' the Auctions!!!

z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Is he fixed? This often helps. If it is done early enough, it is supposed to avoid it all together, but I only know that from TV. My dog is a girl. Good luck!!

Oh and Petco type places sell some training aids to help.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:00 PM

My Mood/Status:
ANGISHELBY27 has posted more than 25 good deals
Marking

Oh, I feel your pain. One of my Pugs is four years old and still marks. I've tried medication, belly bands, you name it.

However, most dogs won't mark right in front of you, so keeping areas blocked off should help. Don't let him out of your sight. Good luck, and try to be patient.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:23 AM

is waiting for the weekend

My Mood/Status:
redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!redheadinkc has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
having him neutered will help - don't wait too long though, the longer they do it, the harder it is to break them of it.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 PM

momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Nature's Miracle is a great clean-up solution. It really gets rid of the odor. We have that problem with one of our cats (and cat urine is so strong smelling) and it gets rid of the odor. Totally worth the cost.
White bottle with red top and lettering at pet stores.
The Following User Says Thank You to momofthree3 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2009, 10:03 PM

My Mood/Status:
mofapmjsc has posted more than 100 good deals!mofapmjsc has posted more than 100 good deals!
I'm going to have to look for that solution, thanks! I have a 6 yr old Maltese mix that started marking withing the last year, but I'm pretty sure I know the cause since he was de-sexed at 6 months old. We adopted a 3yr old female Maltese 1 1/2 yrs ago, and they also get along ok, but boys will be boys... and I made him a belly band for when we leave the house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

) and 1 handsome grandson!!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:10 PM

joyskisaver has posted more than 75 good deals!
We recently moved into our new house and my dogs were doing the same thing, but only in the carpeted areas. So I blocked off the carpeted areas and they do not mark the hardwood floors. I'm not sure what it is about the carpet?!?!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 AM

momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!momofthree3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyskisaver View Post
We recently moved into our new house and my dogs were doing the same thing, but only in the carpeted areas. So I blocked off the carpeted areas and they do not mark the hardwood floors. I'm not sure what it is about the carpet?!?!
Simple. The carpet absorbs the pee. If they were to do it on the hardwood (or any hard floor) there would be a puddle and the animal part of them doesn't like the puddle/evidence.

Same here. The cats don't touch the hard floors but find a carpet especially a quiet place like a closet and...
Old 12-08-2009, 08:48 AM

My Mood/Status:
poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!poshpoodle has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have hardwood floors and my males do mark on the hardwood floors too- although if my kids backpacks are on the floor they will try to mark their backpacks! UGGGH! I use the belly bands- when I can remember- but it is not good to keep them in them- especially if they go with the belly band or daiper on as the urine can cause urine or acid burns. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofthree3 View Post
Simple. The carpet absorbs the pee. If they were to do it on the hardwood (or any hard floor) there would be a puddle and the animal part of them doesn't like the puddle/evidence.

Same here. The cats don't touch the hard floors but find a carpet especially a quiet place like a closet and...

Always looking for a deal!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:16 AM

My Mood/Status:
kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We have a 6 month old girl puppy (long hair chiwawa) and she does the same thing, but she will use the "potty" through out our whole house!!!!!! I have no idea how to stop it, it grose!
she will pee & poo in our room, on the living room carpet (and right in front of us), in my sons room. It really has gotten out of hand, I have no clue how to handle it, I keep trying the potty training, but no luck so far!
Any extra advice, I am so open to any!
, and greatest daughter Carmen Lucy (2yrs)
!!! And the best miracles Jordan
and Jaxon
(1 yr old twins)
Old 12-08-2009, 09:16 AM

is ready for spring already!

My Mood/Status:
sixtyseven has posted more than 100 good deals!sixtyseven has posted more than 100 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyskisaver View Post
The carpet absorbs the pee and the dog can smell it there later, so it's an invitation to pee there again. The Nature's Miracle will kill the pee smell with enzymes.

We have 2 males that will occasionally mark, but we don't use bellybands because I just find it gross. We've just got baby gates up to keep them restricted to certain areas when we're home and they're in their 'rooms' when we're gone. They rarely mark anymore unless one of us forgets to close a gate and they get into a forbidden area.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:21 AM

hnavarre7 has posted more than 25 good deals
I made my own belly band type thing and it keeps him from marking. But occasionally he will try and then it gets full of pee. I only have 2 and washing them often is not fun.

But I guess it is better then pee all in my house.
The Following User Says Thank You to hnavarre7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 AM

My Mood/Status:
priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Typically if you have your dog neutered that will take care of the problem.
If he is marking many times throughout the day - he may have a UTI, especially if he is an dog that never did this before & now is.
We just got a new puppy & the best way I have ever know to train a dog is to do the common things.
Outside right after waking
Outside right after eating
Outside after chewing on a chew toy for awhile

When we got our mini dachshund years ago - we kennel trained her & never have a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to priscillamylove For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 09:38 AM

My Mood/Status:
Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
The best way I know about is to crate your dog overnight then take him out first thing in the morning. If you are already doing that and he is still marking then tie his leash to your belt and always keep him with you until he stops. I would have to get rid of a dog that would not stop peeing in my home so I do drastic measures.
You can cover the scent with Odo Ban for sale at Sams Club or WalMart might have it. Good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gloriaob For This Useful Post: