How Do You House Train A Dog?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 12:24 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
paradisemommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!paradisemommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!paradisemommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!paradisemommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!paradisemommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!paradisemommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
How do you house train a dog?

So neither hubby nor I have every had an indoor dog before. Well we now have a 3 1/2 month old black lab and we would like him to be in as much as possible so he is a family dog. Problem is that neither of us know how to house train so he is spending a lot of time in the garage because we can't stand all he poop and pee in the house. This is making both of us feel like complete heels because he is such a sweet dog...so help us...what do we do to train the little man?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paradisemommy For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 12:28 PM

RE: How do you house train a dog?

tired

My Mood/Status:
tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
do you have a crate to put him in? We were able to house train our dogs by putting them in a crate to sleep. When they were in the crate, they did not want to pee / poo because that is where they slept. As soon as we let them out the the crate, we let them outside and watched them until they went. Once they got used to it, they were really good about being house broken.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Ghandi
The Following User Says Thank You to tootsie roll For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2009, 12:44 PM

probably at Target
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm sure there are tons of articles online about house training a dog~~the most important thing to do is take him outside every few hours to pee and/or poop and immediately bring him back inside after he does the deed. Always use the same door to take him outside and because of the age, take him outside at least every hour to try to get them to pee. You just really have to be patient. Reward him with treats and/or petting when he's done the deed.

My dogs sit by the doorwall when they need to go outside. They just started doing that on their own because that was the only door I used when I let them outside.

The crate is also a great idea. Dogs will not pee where they sleep. Our dogs are crated all day when we're at work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~I will not run in the rain, I will not run near a train. I will not run when it's hot, Enjoy running? I do not ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rescue a pet today~~they'll be forever grateful

Old 01-22-2009, 09:40 PM

If it's FREE it's for ME:)

My Mood/Status:
oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I am going through the same thing let me tell you what is working for me. I have a 3 month old dog too and he was pooping and peeing everywhere. So this is what I did and for three days he has not peed or pooped in the house. This can get a little annoying for you but I do believe it works. I started taking him out every thirty minutes and I would take out a treat with me and when he peed I praised him and gave him the treat. He totally loved getting a treat and now he goes to the door. I know every thirty minutes is a lot but it worked for me. If you are at home like I am or if you can set a side a few days just to house train that would benefit your pup. I have a crate but it just did not work for me. I had a previous crate trained dog and it just never seemed right for him to be in a crate that much. My pup only goes in the crate when we leave the house. HTH
Sweetie
White Paws

Did I mention I have a wonderful husband!
The Following User Says Thank You to oneblessedmommy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 PM

Farm life is the best life!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Here are a few quick tips... ( You are so lucky to have a lab pup!)

1. Use a crate. If it is huge block off the back end so he only has enough room to stand, turn, sit and lay down. If he has too much room he will use the back as a potty and sleep in the front.

2. Potty breaks every 30 min - 1hr. Also let out after any water or food. If you work consider hiring a pet sitter

3. Keep him with you at all times. This way if he potties inside you should be able to catch him and give a stern "No" and take him outside. It is best if you interupt him. Gently popping our pups on the rear worked well.

4. Use a word to tell him to potty. Field trial trainers use a term that sounds like "High On".

HTH and congrats on the new addition to the family!
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntinglabmom05 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 PM

maritae has posted more than 10 good deals
One more tip. Don't keep a bowl of water all day long. It is harder to control the peeing if water is available 24x7. A good thing to do is give puppies water morning, night, and after every meal. Use the crate. It is the most helpful tool that you can ever have when training a dog. It is also good because it keeps the dog safe from stuff that is not safe when you can't watch him.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:46 PM

loves Kroger's double coupons!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Kamily828 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kamily828 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kamily828 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kamily828 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kamily828 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kamily828 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kamily828 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kamily828 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I have a 7 week old miniature pinscher and the puppy pads are working for us. We make sure to give her a small treat whenever she goes on them.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:28 PM

is craving burnt popcorn!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
We are not doing the outside thing. We are litter box training ours. We tried starting with the pads and newspaper but she is scared to death of the noise they make when she steps on them and I had lined a whole area with them so she had to walk on them and she just wouldnt go to that area anymore.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:07 AM

is addicted to AFC.
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Loving Bargains has posted more than 300 great deals!Loving Bargains has posted more than 300 great deals!Loving Bargains has posted more than 300 great deals!Loving Bargains has posted more than 300 great deals!
I must respectively disagree with the dog having no water. This is not something I would do nor advise anyone to do. Animals just like people need water and not just at specific times.

Imagine if your boss would forbid you having water except when it was morning or after a meal. Wow, what would happen if schools forbid water except in the morning or after meals.

I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful but having no water is not good for any animal.

I have chihuahuas and I use puppy pads. The pads have some type of smell that attracts them. It did take about a week for them to get used to it.

Last edited by Loving Bargains; 01-26-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typing error
Old 01-26-2009, 11:41 AM

probably at Target
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My dogs are crated when we're not home without water and they're fine. They can drink all they want with several bowls throughout the house when we're home, but in their crates when we're not home...no water.

~I will not run in the rain, I will not run near a train. I will not run when it's hot, Enjoy running? I do not ~

Rescue a pet today~~they'll be forever grateful

The Following User Says Thank You to AngieP For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2009, 03:07 PM

is Looking for CVS deals!
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
lgoodwin has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!lgoodwin has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!lgoodwin has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!lgoodwin has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!lgoodwin has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!lgoodwin has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!lgoodwin has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!lgoodwin has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!lgoodwin has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!lgoodwin has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!lgoodwin has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Bargains View Post
I must respectively disagree with the dog having no water. This is not something I would do nor advise anyone to do. Animals just like people need water and not just at specific times.

Imagine if your boss would forbid you having water except when it was morning or after a meal. Wow, what would happen if schools forbid water except in the morning or after meals.

I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful but having no water is not good for any animal.

I have chihuahuas and I use puppy pads. The pads have some type of smell that attracts them. It did take about a week for them to get used to it.
I agree with you, but I think that during the few days to a week it takes to train the dog it should be limited. Then after they know to go to the door or on the pad or whatever than unlimited water is what they should have.
My vet told me this. He asked well how much water is she drinking and I said oh a little here and there, the bowl is out. He said well put it up while your training.
It took a good 2 weeks and she was fine. They will just drink more when you give it to them which was three times a day during that 2 weeks. Now she drinks whenever. She will play with her water bowl if it is empty to let us know! She is a doll! I love my baby! :smiley:
Old 01-27-2009, 03:29 PM

is waiting for her DS to visit 3/27
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I started Jake out by taking him out the minute he finished eating. Telling him Potty. Then highly praising him when he did. Not going back in until he did. I stayed out there with him the entire time. Now he also goes to the back door and just stands there. If I don't notice him he will make a snapping noise to get my attention.

I personally would not remove his water. I put a kennel bottle on when any of my dogs kenneled. It only gives them a bit of water when they lick on the bottom of the tube. But never without any water at all. Just my own choice.

If you use a potty word, then they will know when you let them out and say potty, they will. Potty on command. That helps in the winter.

By leaving a pup in the garage he will feel left out and not learn how to live as a family member. How to react when it's dinner time, company, any of the normal day to day activities will all seem like play time when he does come in. You'll see a hugh difference.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamily828 View Post
I have a 7 week old miniature pinscher and the puppy pads are working for us. We make sure to give her a small treat whenever she goes on them.
I always tell clients not to bother with these as they are expensive and only add another step in the house training.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:33 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcross View Post
We are not doing the outside thing. We are litter box training ours. We tried starting with the pads and newspaper but she is scared to death of the noise they make when she steps on them and I had lined a whole area with them so she had to walk on them and she just wouldnt go to that area anymore.
Hmm... Again I do not like this as dogs need time outside and need exercise. You will run into behavioral issues if the dog does not walk, play, work off energy. I have seen this problem time and time again with my clients.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:41 PM

is craving burnt popcorn!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntinglabmom05 View Post
Hmm... Again I do not like this as dogs need time outside and need exercise. You will run into behavioral issues if the dog does not walk, play, work off energy. I have seen this problem time and time again with my clients.
When she gets a little older she will go on walks and get excercise. She will also still use a litter box.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:48 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Sounds great!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 PM

is looking for deals

My Mood/Status:
Kim Emper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kim Emper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kim Emper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kim Emper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kim Emper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kim Emper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Our 'baby' came into our home almost a yr. ago. she was the cutest, tiniest dog. (Snorkie) We were excited, but nervous. I haven't had a dog since I left home 20+ yrs. ago! So.....we just play it by ear, and take all the advice we can get. Some of it's good, some bad. Potty training was & still can be sometimes, an issue.

We started with the pee pads. It was hit or miss at first. (our vet said she was just way too small to be outside for the first couple of months, worried about pargo (I think that's what it's called). We had pee pads, but she went wherever. Once she grew a little, we started taking her outside every 1/2 hour. We took a treat with us & as she was actually going potty, gave her the treat. It was great! She quickly caught on, only using the pad at night. Now......it's winter & she absolutely REFUSES to go outside to potty. We're back to the pad all the time. We also left her in the bathroom while we were gone. She NEVER went in there, holding all day.

My advice.........rent a few Dog Whisperer dvd's & do the best you can. Consistency is your friend & so are treats, lots of them!

Let us know how you make out & GOOD LUCK!!!