Cat Keeps Stealing Socks And Underwear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 10:46 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Cat keeps stealing socks and underwear

We have three cats that we took in as strays about three years ago. They are great cats but one has a couple of bad habits I would like to break.

Snowball opens my dh sock and underware drawer and pulls out his socks or undies and brings them into the front living room. At first I though dh was leaving his drawer open but one day I picked up socks and put them back in the drawer and closed it good. Later that day were more socks.

It is a drawer under our bed and we have tried to put a briefcase in front of it, dh tried door stoppers, and he even bungie corded it. This cat is still able to open the drawer. I need to get a video cam to see how she is doing it, cause it is pretty amazing she can still get the drawer open.

Dh is ready to drill holes in the drawer and add locks. I don't want him to do that.

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to knitternut For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM

RE: Cat keeps stealing socks and underwear

is being held hostage by Grits!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
That is pretty funny! Sorry!

Does she put them out in the open in the living room or hide them? I have heard of cats hoarding things but they would hide them in a safe place. Not sure why some cats have this behavoir though. Does she have a big attatchment to your husband? Maybe this makes her feel close to him in some way when he is gone??
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dontbreakme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 AM

My Mood/Status:
knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!knitternut has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Oh no, she puts them out in the open for everyone to see. It's especially great when we come home and have other people with us. They get to see all of dh's socks and underware.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to knitternut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Think of it this way: There are WORSE things your cat could drag into the living room.

I'd say you have four choices. You can live with it, store socks and undies somewhere else, close the bedroom door, or put a latch on the drawer.

My Siamese opens a kitchen cabinet when I'm not home. She's looking for a toy I used to store there--but moved years ago when she started dragging it out herself.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cadnil For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
At least its the clean socks and undies right? Like Cadnil said it could be so much worse. Especially because cats love to plot against us.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dontbreakme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 PM

My Mood/Status:
During the night she brings me any dirty socks that were left out (ds always does this) and any pens and pencils she can find.

I have to watch where I am stepping when I get up because I never know what I will find.

She is such a weird cat. We say she has an invisable(sp?) friend because sometimes she runs around the house like someone is chasing her. Even the other cats look at her weird.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to knitternut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2009, 12:22 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Maybe she feels like she is bringing you gifts the same way some cats bring their owners dead animals. My Misty runs around like that after she poops. She darts out of the litter box like the poop is going to get her.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dontbreakme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!

I'm sorry I have no suggestions! I have a weird cat also! This morning he was picking up crayons with his mouth and throwing them on the floor. So much for picking up after the kids!
(14) Payton
(4) Ashlee
(3)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to suzi1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbreakme View Post
Maybe she feels like she is bringing you gifts the same way some cats bring their owners dead animals. My Misty runs around like that after she poops. She darts out of the litter box like the poop is going to get her.

Dirty socks are not a gift I want but I guess it's better than dead lizards.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 PM

My Mood/Status:
suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!suzi1972 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitternut View Post

Dirty socks are not a gift I want but I guess it's better than dead lizards.
I had a cat that "gave me" a mouse gift. She put it in my front yard, it had been a really busy week and I saw it but didn't pick it up right away. Well she obviously didn't think I saw it because the next morning she had moved it so it was next to my car right at the driver's side door. I almost stepped on it! Yuck!
(14) Payton
(4) Ashlee
(3)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to suzi1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2009, 12:50 PM

Baby Dylan is here
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
My cat brought in a dead gopher one time dropped it in my mothers hand. but guess what it was not dead yet that Little guy bit my mom for dear life, cats do crazy things
Old 01-15-2009, 12:54 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals

My Mood/Status:
arlenes has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!arlenes has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!arlenes has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!arlenes has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!arlenes has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!arlenes has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!arlenes has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!arlenes has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!arlenes has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!arlenes has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!arlenes has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
We only have outside cats but they also leave little gifts at the front door, nice little mice that are decapitated(sp) (thanks Calie and Skinny), but I can't complain, they are doing there job.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:21 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Ewwwwwwwwwww. I had a MOLE in my apartment last summer and my cats were stalking it. I was FREAKING OUT because I did not know what it was! I thought they hurt it because it was moving so slow. It wasn't until I caught it in a jar (litterally scooped it up ) and realized I was not sure what it was and googled it that I knew what it was. He was so cute. Poor little dude.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dontbreakme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2009, 05:37 PM

loves AFC!!!!!

My Mood/Status:
princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
During the night she brings me any dirty socks that were left out (ds always does this) and any pens and pencils she can find.

I have to watch where I am stepping when I get up because I never know what I will find.

She is such a weird cat. We say she has an invisable(sp?) friend because sometimes she runs around the house like someone is chasing her. Even the other cats look at her weird.
My cat Garfield runs around the house like that too sometimes. He even makes funny little meow/crazy noises when he does it! His tail also gets really fluffy...my son Austin will chase him around the house and he loves it!

That is really strange about the socks and underwear. Look at the positive side though...if you can catch him on tape maybe you could win $10,000 on AFV! Wait and put a lock on the drawers after you win!

and Mom to Austin, 14
Garfield, 4
and our newest addition Benji BigFoot
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to princesslorie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
That is really strange about the socks and underwear. Look at the positive side though...if you can catch him on tape maybe you could win $10,000 on AFV! Wait and put a lock on the drawers after you win! [/quote]

I thought about that!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 PM

My Mood/Status:
nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Even the other cats look at her weird.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nellenelli For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2009, 08:17 PM

is scoping out afullcup before she goes shopping.

My Mood/Status:
savndough has posted more than 200 great deals!savndough has posted more than 200 great deals!savndough has posted more than 200 great deals!
I have a cat that does that. I'm sorry, but she's been doing that for 13 yrs. Sometimes if I'm pulling clothes out of the washer, she will jump up and help me. Now that she's older, she doesn't open the drawers any more, but if the drawers are cracked open, she pulls out the socks and underwear.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to savndough For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 PM

is saving money!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
cute story...made me smile

I know its frustrating, but look how many people your little one made laugh today
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HappyGal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 AM

is trying to balance
Clipping coupons constantly

My Mood/Status:
jenkerr1 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenkerr1 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenkerr1 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenkerr1 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenkerr1 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenkerr1 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenkerr1 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenkerr1 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenkerr1 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenkerr1 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I wonder why your cat does this! That is so odd but funny at the same time, because its not my cat !
My cat loves to bite wooden pencils. If I have them he will bite as hard as he can and squint his eyes shut and just keep biting up and down the pencil. I watch him to make sure the wood does not splinter off but he cries if I take the pencil away. I have no idea why he enjoys this but he does

I LOVE SAVING MONEY! THANK YOU AFC!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jenkerr1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2009, 04:33 AM

coupons are our friends!

My Mood/Status:
justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I had a cat who liked to get in the hamper and pull out my undies and bring them in the living room! And she never brought the cute lacy ones, only the I don't feel good, I'm putting on the big ugly cotton ones. We had outside hunters later, and were ALWAYS starting off the morning with something dead and decapitated! Cats want you to say, "OH, what a good kitty you are! Thank you so much for this wonderful gift! Kitty is such a good hunter!" All we can really say is ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Be glad it's just clean socks and not dirty fugly panties!
AFC
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justfluffyme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 AM

loves AFC!!!!!

My Mood/Status:
princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!princesslorie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfluffyme View Post
I had a cat who liked to get in the hamper and pull out my undies and bring them in the living room! And she never brought the cute lacy ones, only the I don't feel good, I'm putting on the big ugly cotton ones. We had outside hunters later, and were ALWAYS starting off the morning with something dead and decapitated! Cats want you to say, "OH, what a good kitty you are! Thank you so much for this wonderful gift! Kitty is such a good hunter!" All we can really say is ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Be glad it's just clean socks and not dirty fugly panties!
Dirty, fugly panties?

and Mom to Austin, 14
Garfield, 4
and our newest addition Benji BigFoot
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to princesslorie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2009, 05:48 AM

coupons are our friends!

My Mood/Status:
justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslorie View Post
Dirty, fugly panties?
yes, that's exactly what would happen, was NOT so funny at the time! It's a nice way to make an impression on your in laws, too! I am not the only woman on this site with fugly panties!
AFC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justfluffyme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2009, 06:39 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Dianaj64 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Dianaj64 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Dianaj64 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Dianaj64 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Dianaj64 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Dianaj64 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Dianaj64 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Dianaj64 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Dianaj64 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
The only time I ever heard my DH scream was about 20 years ago when we he got up in the middle of the night and almost stepped on a piece of banana (2 toddlers at the time). He had the night light on and saw it on the floor. The scream came when he picked up the slimy piece of banana and went to throw it away. It didn't feel as mushy as it should and he turned it around. It had eyes....ewwwwwwwww! Poor little mouse~never did find the rest of it. I just love cats.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianaj64 For This Useful Post: