My Golden Retriever Max 12/10/99-12/1/08 :(

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM
I have full inserts for sale!

My Mood/Status:
farmerdudette has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!farmerdudette has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!farmerdudette has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!farmerdudette has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!farmerdudette has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!farmerdudette has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!farmerdudette has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!farmerdudette has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!farmerdudette has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!farmerdudette has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!farmerdudette has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
My golden retriever Max 12/10/99-12/1/08 :(

So this has been a tough week for me.

On Monday, we had to put our golden retriever Max to sleep. He had a ruptured tumor in his spleen that caused him to bleed internally. He was only 8. We have another golden who is 6.

It started on Sunday night, with a trip to the Animal Emergency clinic. They kept Max overnight, and said that he was very critical condition. They told us to come back at 7:15 the next morning. So Monday morning my parents picked him up at the emergency place and took him to our regular vet. Our vet took an x-ray and told us what had happened. He said that he could operate, but Max would only survive another 3-6 months, which a lot of that time would be spent trying to recover. We decided it would be best to put him down.

My parents are divorced, and I currently live with my mom and stepdad. About a year ago, the dog that I had at my dadís house was sick and we put her to sleep. So after I got the call from my mom, I naturally called my dad because I felt like he could relate to what I was feeling and give me some comfort.

Last night I got a call from my dad asking to have my boyfriend call him, but he wouldnít tell me what it was about. Then my dad called my house, trying to get a hold of my mom but I answered. He eventually reached her. He was trying to plan something. He said that he had found the perfect thing for me for Christmas, and he wanted to get my mom and boyfriends opinion.

So today, my 5th day without Max, I get a call from my dad at lunch. He tells me that heís found me the perfect Christmas gift, but my mom told him that she didnít think it would be a good idea to get me. He found the Furreal Golden Retriever named Biscuit. Itís the animated dog (Iím sure a lot of you know what Iím talking about, there is a like life pony that was really popular last yearósame type of thing). My dad bought this animated dog, and was going to give it to me for Christmas. My mom didnít like the idea at all. She told him that she thought it would make me cry since this is still so raw. My dad thought this would be the perfect petóone that would never die (whatóuntil the batteries ran out???) and something that would remind me of him when he is gone (heís terminally ill). So heís on the phone telling me all this stuff about how he bought me my first dog (the one that died last year) and how he can buy me my last dog but this one will never die. *sigh*

I like the idea of it, I think itís cool. I understand that he thinks it will cheer me up. On the other hand, Iím moving out for the first time in 10 days and my dad wants to get me a stuffed dog for Christmas, when I just lost my real dog. Iím just a little confused; I donít want to hurt his feelings, but there are a lot of other things that I would appreciate some help with as I take this next step into my life.

I know someone here will understand. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by farmerdudette; 12-07-2008 at 06:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to farmerdudette For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 02:06 PM

RE: My golden retriever Max 12/10/99-12/1/08 :(

hopes everyone has a great day!!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Carrie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Carrie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Carrie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Carrie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Carrie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Carrie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Carrie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Carrie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Carrie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Carrie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Carrie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Sorry for your loss.When we lost our 16yr old cat last year I thought I was going to die. She was my baby and I missed her terribly. But our other cat I think was worse than me, so we went the very next day and saved a kitten from being put down. Now it helped both me and our other cat alot. I think with the move and eveything it might not be a bad idea for an animated dog. At least for now. Just give it a try you never know....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carrie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2008, 02:21 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Jenn

My Mood/Status:
jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I agree with Carrie. I have not yet lost a pet but Murray is now 7 and I'll be lucky if he makes it to 10 for his breed. I cannot imagine how much my heart will hurt. OMG ... I can't even imagine what it would be like to feel such a loss but I do know when that time comes, we will rescue another and save from death row. Knowing that I can help an animal live a happy and loved life means that I am fulfilling what I think is my purpose in life. I think you should go ahead and give it a try. This may help you heal as your heart must be so heavy right now.

Each day it is going to get better. You gave Max an awesome life and I truly, truly believe that the last act of human kindness we can give to an animal is to end their suffering. Max thanks you for that. He doesn't want you to cry for him as you watch him fall more ill. He wants you to be happy and to be able to move forward.

I don't have the Rainbow Bridge poem handy right now but I'm sure someone will post it. Read that ... rest assured, Max is there and having a ball.

Bless your heart.

xoxoxox

jenn
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Molly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ari
, Simon
, Orange
Tuxie

please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jennjenn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2008, 02:25 PM

My Mood/Status:
BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
From another dog lover I'm so sorry for your loss.

Brooke
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BStroh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2008, 10:33 PM

My Mood/Status:
CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
<TABLE cellPadding=10 width="70%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>
~Rainbow Bridge~

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left colSpan=2>All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again! The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown

This says all that needs to be said......
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarolynC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2008, 12:42 AM

is being held hostage by Grits!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I am sorry for your loss. It is so hard to deal with losing a furbaby. They are so precious and add so much joy to our lives. I've lost quite a few in my life as I have had a lot of pets. One thing that has helped me is I take the time while it's still fresh in my head to write down some of the things I loved about them/memories. When I miss them I can go back and read that and it helps a lot. Sometimes I will forget about certain stories and reading them again makes me smile. I'm sorry about Max.
The Following User Says Thank You to dontbreakme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2008, 09:25 PM

Everyone's busy...don't use that as an excuse.

My Mood/Status:
brownie16 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!brownie16 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!brownie16 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!brownie16 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!brownie16 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!brownie16 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!brownie16 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!brownie16 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!brownie16 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!brownie16 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!brownie16 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Aw, I'm so sorry you just lost a part of your family. Perhaps your dad is thinking about your emotions, and not necessarily your financial need at this time. When people get older and can reflect on their lives, they generally don't think about how all the things they had, but the relationships they had. I think you dad is thinking of your relationship w/ him and w/ Max. Maybe he doesn't see the other needs as a priority.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brownie16 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 PM

is saving money!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
sorry for your loss, I hope you are enjoying the new place and that it is keeping you busy so you dont have time for much sadness
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyGal For This Useful Post: