Has Anyone Every Had A Dog With Back Problems?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 07:48 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
If it's FREE it's for ME:)

My Mood/Status:
oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Has anyone every had a dog with back problems?

I am not sure if this forum is visited alot but I thought I would give it a shot. I have a dog named Max and he is 8 years old. He is a mixed breed, so don't really know what he is? Anyways yesterday he started to act funny, walking really slow not jumping or wanting to go up or down stairs. So I get him into the vet he says its probably his back so gave him a shot and some pain meds. So today my dog is walking like he is drunk, literally he can't walk straight. He also can't lift his leg to use the bathroom. I called the doctor he said that was normal behavior for a dog with back problems, and he suggested for him to get rest and to try and keep him off of furniture and stairs. If he gets worse he will have to do any x-ray. Sorry so long! We thought maybe he had a stroke or something! Has anyone else here experienced anything like that. If not thanks for reading my post!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sweetie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
White Paws

Did I mention I have a wonderful husband!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 07:54 PM

RE: Has anyone every had a dog with back problems?

gone
The bunny's name is Pudge!

My Mood/Status:
daffynpooh has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!daffynpooh has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!daffynpooh has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!daffynpooh has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!daffynpooh has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!daffynpooh has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!daffynpooh has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I'd see if you can try anything else for pain (I forget if dogs or cats can take buffered asprin....) Meds can make dogs act funny too.

Kathleen
The Following User Says Thank You to daffynpooh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2008, 09:07 PM

is craving burnt popcorn!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
If it is having problems lifting leg to potty maybe it has an infection? I also know that doxies or smaller breeds that jump alot end up with back problems. The vet once told us that they can injure themselves from jumping. Is there any chance a child tried riding him like a horse or something? Hope he gets better.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:13 AM

My Mood/Status:
oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!oneblessedmommy has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I am taking him to the vet today! I am worried though because he has lost his appetite, he can't walk straight and having problems using the bathroom. This just came out of no where! And he is only 8 years old! I will keep you posted on what happens, thanks for your responses.
Sweetie
White Paws

Old 10-09-2008, 04:31 AM

Winter is back!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I have a paralyzed doxie, that my son's dog stepped on, she is being helped by a chiropractor, he has made a world of differance. She has gotten feeling and blood flow back in her legs, now to get the muscle tone built back up. I Do feel that there is something else going on with your dog if appetite is gone and something is going on. Check around before doing anything drastic he is young yet. I have carried this dog around for almost a year, when my niece told me about this dr., and he has done miracles in Daphne, she plays now and has no pain in her back where before she just sat in the corner and shook. People told me to put her down, but I could not, I am a breeder and I literally pulled her from her mamma. She was the first red I ever had, my favorite and I knew that something could be done. Now she is a changed dog
Old 10-09-2008, 07:55 AM

Go Buckeyes!
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My dog's back went out about 2 years ago. We took her to the emergency vet because she had all the symptoms you cited. They took an x-ray and showed us something of a slipped disc. Basically, they gave us pain meds (so she would feel well enough to eat and potty) and told us to carry her everywhere, always supporting her back. After about a week, the problem corrected itself, and her back has been fine since.

Lately, her hip has been going out. We do the same thing, keep her from jumping and carry her around, and she's better in a few days. HTH

BTW - My doggie is almost 11

Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 AM

probably at Target
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
aw~~i'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I can't really address the back issues, but I did have a dog who passed 2 years ago with hip problems from a very young age, and I researched a lot of doggie meds. I was never happy with the side effects and the cost of the drugs that the vet would give my dog. If you have a reputable vet they will recommend an over the counter product that you can use for your dog. Now if the pain is on a much higher level, you may not have a choice, but I would ask anyway.

I would also recommend doing some internet research on the subject. There is soooooo much information out there to better educate you on the subject.

Two people meds that i use for my dogs are:

buffered aspirin....I think Ecotrin or something, don't remember I just know it by the color of the box.

benedryl...in the pink box, not the blue~~I use this for separation anxiety and when they're scared (thunderstorms).

~I will not run in the rain, I will not run near a train. I will not run when it's hot, Enjoy running? I do not ~

Rescue a pet today~~they'll be forever grateful

Old 10-09-2008, 10:01 AM

none1234 has posted more than 25 good deals
Try this... when your dog is standing up, take one of his back paws and flip it under so that the dog is resting on the top of his foot. (Does that make sense? Normally a dog is standing on the pad of his foot... like your hand. Put the palm of your hand on a table... now flip it so the top of your hand is on the top of the table... see how your fingers are pointing towards yourself and your palm is facing up? Do that with the dog's back paws... one at a time.)

Now watch how the dog corrects himself... if he quickly recovers and fixes his paw, it's likely more than a back problem... something like hip dysplasia (sp?) or the likes. If he struggles to fix his paw, it's definitely a back problem. Try both feet.

Of course, your vet probably already did this, but when I had a dog going through back problems (poor thing... we had to put him down in March... not due to the back thing, though), my vet showed me this trick to determine where he was feeling pain.

You also don't mention what kind of dog he is... is he a bigger breed?

Good luck, and keep us posted. I totally went through this with my dog.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:26 PM

My Mood/Status:
I have been crying all day! We had to make the decision to put our dog down, this morning when I got up my dog could not walk, eat, or go outside to use the bathroom. The regular vet could not tell what was the source or what was going on with my dog so he sent me to an emergency vet where they could run more test on him. They wanted 1600.00 to just diagnose him. We could not afford to do that. I feel really bad right now and I can not stop crying. The vet speculated that he had a tumor in his brain that grew and cause nerological damage. My dog started with this Tuesday and today he was way worse. I just don't understand he was fine Monday then Tuesday that was it for him he was totally a different dog. I miss him already, I don't think its fair that he was only 8 years old. Well I wanted to let you guys know since I posted the thread. Thanks to everyone!
Sweetie
White Paws

Old 10-09-2008, 01:32 PM

probably at Target
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm sooooo sorry!!!!! OMG~~~2 years ago my black lab developed a tumor in his nose that grew so rapidly that we put him down after 3 weeks of discovering it~~it was the worst experience ever. I know its hard now, but it does get a little easier. I still think of him at random times and it makes me cry. I wasn't ready for him to go as quickly as he did. Theres just little you can do with tumors, especially with older dogs.

I'm sooooo sorry for your loss.

~I will not run in the rain, I will not run near a train. I will not run when it's hot, Enjoy running? I do not ~

Rescue a pet today~~they'll be forever grateful

The Following User Says Thank You to AngieP For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2008, 01:39 PM

is craving burnt popcorn!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!wlcross has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
OMG!! Sorry to hear about this. That was just way to fast! I don't understand why it costs so much just to diagnose. Just be thankful that he's in doggy heaven and isn't in pain anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to wlcross For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2008, 08:10 AM

none1234 has posted more than 25 good deals
OMG! I'm just so sad for you! We just had to put our dog down this spring... it was so hard! Oh, hon. You must be so upset.

I'm so sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to none1234 For This Useful Post: