I Need Help, I Have Fleas :(

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 06:49 PM
is excited
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
MarissasMommy has posted more than 200 great deals!MarissasMommy has posted more than 200 great deals!MarissasMommy has posted more than 200 great deals!
Angry I need help, I have fleas :(

What is some good and cheap ways to help get rid of fleas. They are in our carpet and on our cats. Please Help

We luv our fubabies 1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you liked my post please don't forget to press the
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008, 09:01 PM

RE: I need help, I have fleas :(

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
I Coupon to buy Gymboree

My Mood/Status:
jacmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jacmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jacmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jacmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jacmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jacmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Honestly, the cheap way didn't work with our dog. We didn't have them in the carpet or furniture, but they were on her. After bathing her with flea shampoos and different sprays, nothing seemed to keep them away. So we ended up calling the vet and they told us to use K-9 advantix(which i know is for a dog, but they also have cat versions). It costs about $16 a month here. You just put it on them once a month and they are good to go. She hasn't had a flea since. I'm not sure what to do about the carpet. The lady at the vet said to vacuum EVERYWHERE, and anywhere the cats go so behind and under furniture and also every piece of bedding in the house.

Please thank me for it!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacmom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Ugh....Fleas!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshinejanie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2008, 09:41 PM

My Mood/Status:
nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
To help get them out of the carpet and such take a bowl of water put some dish soap in it then place it under a low night light. The fleas are attracted to the light and will jump in and drown it is not going to get rid of them all but might help a bit. Walmart has its own version of the dot on the back stuff for animals for fleas try that out too I have seen it for cats there. Hope this helps
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nellenelli For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2008, 11:00 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
lesliec has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lesliec has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lesliec has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lesliec has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lesliec has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lesliec has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lesliec has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lesliec has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lesliec has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lesliec has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I'm sorry, we went through this a couple of months ago, only we didn't get them from the animals, DH brought them home after working in the country....

I buy the stuff for the animals that is like the advantix, but is (I think) Heartz brand, or something, I usually get it at Wal Mart, but I know they sell it at the pet stores too. I think it is about $7 for 3 months. We keep it on both the dogs and the cats and have never had any trouble, but mind you it has been preventative, not a solution.
For the carpet, I used the carpet powder you buy at WAGS or Wal Mart. That is what my exterminator suggested. You have to leave it on, for a while, and then retreat every two weeks for 2 more applications. The trick is to immediately take your vacuum outside and throw the bag away in a tied up plastic bag. You don't want them crawling out and getting back in your house or yard.
It is a long hard road which I know is frustrating. Let me know if you need anymore suggestions.
Oh, and my mom does the light thing. It does work, but I don't think it totally eliminates them all. I always get bit at her house.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lesliec For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2008, 01:50 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
mdrlnya has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mdrlnya has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mdrlnya has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mdrlnya has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mdrlnya has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mdrlnya has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mdrlnya has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum.
Wash everything that fits in the washing machine in HOT water--sheets, towels, those covers on your pillows, whatever! Don't forget mattress pads!
Use the plain old blue Dawn dish soap as a flea shampoo--it's cheap and WAY more effective--it actually kills fleas on contact--I've seen it on my poor dog! The fleas were literally JUMPING OFF HIM while we were bathing him with Dawn--and it's very gentle for animals with sensitive skin, too!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mdrlnya For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2008, 05:22 AM

is scoping out afullcup before she goes shopping.

My Mood/Status:
savndough has posted more than 200 great deals!savndough has posted more than 200 great deals!savndough has posted more than 200 great deals!
I have five cats and 3 dogs. The cheap stuff will definitly not work. The water in the dish will not work. You need to get that sticky mouse paper and put it under the light. Fleas can swim.
Use a spray insecticide for the carpet. When you vacuum, the little buggers crawl out, so make sure you get rid of and spray the dust. My vet told me as long as we live out in the country with the cows and the wild animals that roam around, we would get fleas. You just have to fight the war constantly. On the good side, I don't have any mice, so they don't get a lot of worms.
The Following User Says Thank You to savndough For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 06:47 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Princess1969 has posted more than 200 great deals!Princess1969 has posted more than 200 great deals!Princess1969 has posted more than 200 great deals!
My daughters dog had fleas and I bought a can of Black Flag flea spray at the Dollar General store and used that on him. The manager that worked there had tried it on his dogs and had recommended it. It is a spray that can be used on pets as well as spraying furniture, bedding, etc. It worked great! I have always used the cheap stuff from the dollar store on my yorkie and she has never had a problem with fleas. You do have to vacuum alot because they mutiply like crazy and the eggs can live quite a while before hatching. Make sure to get rid of the bag after you do vacuum. I also saw on DIY TV that you can sprinkle salt into your carpets and the fleas will eat the salt and die. Don't know if that works but it is worth a shot. HTH and good luck, they can be a pain!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
It must be something in the air, I have 2 friends with horrible flea problems right now. They are trying everything. Thankfully we have 2 indoor cats so our fleas are very minimal.

I do put vinegar in the water bowls once a day (about a teaspoon) and have rock salt underneath my chairs, the couch and the beds. It is more of a preventative measure, all of the above are supposed to dehydrate the fleas and kill them. For the few stragglers that sneak into our house it works wonders.

I am not sure what to do with the actual flea infestation. Good luck, I have heard good things about frontline.
,a 2 year old
and baby girl
The Following User Says Thank You to hcsig For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2008, 01:53 AM

My Mood/Status:
workee has posted more than 100 good deals!workee has posted more than 100 good deals!
If you get some carpet freshener powder that you put on carpet and then vacuum up...maybe at the dollar store or somewhere cheap...like Glade (not flea powder kind)....

when you put it down and then vacuum up...it helps you not to miss any spots...and you get way more of the eggs/flea junk....it helps some.
The Following User Says Thank You to workee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2008, 06:00 PM

is excited
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
MarissasMommy has posted more than 200 great deals!MarissasMommy has posted more than 200 great deals!MarissasMommy has posted more than 200 great deals!
I salt on the carpet and it has really seemed to work. I also think my cats have less fleas. But I still want to give them a bath with the dawn. I have 3 cats and only 1 of them is going to be easy to give a bath too.

We luv our fubabies 1
and 3

If you liked my post please don't forget to press the
Old 09-21-2008, 06:18 PM

is ready for Spring!
Proud to be a Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
lwilsonide has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!lwilsonide has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!lwilsonide has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!lwilsonide has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!lwilsonide has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!lwilsonide has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!lwilsonide has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!lwilsonide has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!lwilsonide has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!lwilsonide has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!lwilsonide has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I did not read all the posts, but I ahve had dogs all my life and they have brought in eveyr kind of flea imaginable. Go buy a Flea Bomb not spray or anything else, but a bomb. You will ahve to be out of your house for a night, but it will get rid of eveything. Buy Advantix from the vet, not over the counter stuff as it doesn;t last. Advantix kills the eggs which is what you need to get rid of, as well as the adults. You need to use Advantix regulalry during the summer so this does not happen again! The Bomb is the only thing that will get rid of them 100% so they will not come back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lwilsonide For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2008, 11:59 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree with PP. I tried all of the cheap things from WalMart (carpet spray, Hartz drops, flea collar, flea shampoo) and vacuumed ontop of all that! Did not help one bit! I kept vacuuming every single day and emptying my vacuum when I was done. They eventually subisded from the apt, but I still find some on my cat. I treat him with Frontline behind the base of the skull once a month and this seems to keep them minimal.

But you MUST literally wash everything that will fit in the washer. I even threw out all of my throw pillows because I couldn't wash them and I know that's where my cat liked to sleep (of course)!

Also, be careful when moving bedding or pillows that may have flea eggs on them. Try to move them without disturbing the eggs so they don't fall off and land back in your carpet. I just carry the whole thing gently to the washer then toss it in on hot water.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:46 PM

YTD Savings----$540.66

My Mood/Status:
TulsaPetSitters has posted more than 150 good deals!TulsaPetSitters has posted more than 150 good deals!
The VERY best way to get rid of fleas is just break down and buy the Frontline Plus or Advantix from your vet! The cheap over the counter flea drops DON'T work and you really should be careful what you put on a cat!

Fleas prefer cats and dogs, not you and me, they are species specific! The beauty of this is that if you put the Frontline Plus or Advantix on your pet and let the flea life cycle complete it's self the fleas will hatch from your carpet, or where ever, hop on the pet and die.....no need to really treat your carpet with bombs, dust or anything of the like. These bombs and dusts are extremely unhealthy for you, your pet and toddlers and infants if you have them! Most are cancer causing agents to your pets and possibly your family!

I would NEVER EVER EVER spray Black Flag on my pet! This off label use could have some potential horrible effects! Also, the manager of the store mentioned above has no business telling anyone to do that!!!!! He is in no way a pet care professional and probably has no idea of what he is doing at the cost to the poor pets of his customers.......there is a reason he is a RETAIL MANAGER and not a VETERINARIAN! His advise is irresponsible and hazardous!

Vickie
Tulsa Pet Sitters

Last edited by TulsaPetSitters; 10-01-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added to my post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TulsaPetSitters For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2008, 04:57 AM

My Mood/Status:
bubbsguy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!bubbsguy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!bubbsguy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!bubbsguy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!bubbsguy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!bubbsguy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!bubbsguy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!bubbsguy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!bubbsguy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!bubbsguy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!bubbsguy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I believe the cheapest way is buying the frontline or something similar from the vet. It will make them gone in a few days and the only other thing I do is vacuum 2 or more times a day and no need for bombing the house or spraying those fumes around.
. I have a perfect 3 year old grand-daughter who is a
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2008, 05:10 AM

Enjoying today!!

My Mood/Status:
couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
The only thing that worked for me was just calling someone to come out and spray..we tried bombing and spraying ourselfs but this did not work..only for a few days..and then they were back again...i know how bad this is for you and i'm very sorry your having to go thur this..good luck...
The Following User Says Thank You to couponmama62 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2008, 06:10 PM

working hard for the money so I can go shopping
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Thank you all for this wonderful information. We just got back from my DH's grandparents and guess what?!?! The dog now has fleas. I am about to vomit and have a panic attack. My DH does not think that it is a big deal!!!!! Well I work with kids and it is a big deal! I don't want to take it to their house.
The Following User Says Thank You to vartrip For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2008, 09:18 PM

My Mood/Status:
pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We used Advantage on our pets and it works!!! (We used to try everything and nothing would work). Advantage seemed a little expensive when we first tried it but not compared to the tons of other products and vet trips with still no positive results! Advantage is very easy to use and you use a very small amount. You can buy it at Petco, etc... We also made sure to vacumn really good and then change the bag in the vac.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
jillibean1978 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jillibean1978 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jillibean1978 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jillibean1978 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jillibean1978 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jillibean1978 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jillibean1978 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jillibean1978 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jillibean1978 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jillibean1978 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jillibean1978 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
After spending close to if not over $300 last year I dumped regular table salt all over my floors and it killed them within 24-36 hours. I am not kidding. Just get salt.

Mommy to Blake(12)Brianna(9)Chet(3)Ellie(1)and wife to Chet
Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM

is waiting for her DS to visit 3/27
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I had flee's years ago. Put a pie pan of water on the floor. Put one drop of dish soap in it. Hang a light over the pan. Flees will jump to the light, fall in the pan and can't get out because the soap coats them. Repeat this for a week or so. You'll see less fleas every night.