Ugh....Fleas!!!!!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Animals Ugh....Fleas!!!!!

My two cats have fleas and I have tried everything! Does anyone have any advice? I hate feeling like we have all these pesticides floating around the house and none of them are working. Help!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 09:58 AM

RE: Ugh....Fleas!!!!!

My Mood/Status:
WishfulThinking has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!WishfulThinking has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!WishfulThinking has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!WishfulThinking has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!WishfulThinking has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!WishfulThinking has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!WishfulThinking has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!WishfulThinking has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!WishfulThinking has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!WishfulThinking has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!WishfulThinking has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Borax... Borax as a carpet freshner, rub it in lightly with a broom and vacuum up. Works wonderful for keeping them outta the carpets and things and it's much safer than some of the pesticides. I've also sat out plates of dawn and water to attract them and than kill them.

As for on the kitties... I am not sure... I've used the Sergeant's Nature's Guardian products and they've worked nicely... only I didn't have a real infestation on my hands at the time. It's pretty potent stuff though so I never used the full amount directed because the smell is so strong my kitties would go nutso. There was a $1 off Q put out a few months back for this stuff too.

Last edited by WishfulThinking; 09-09-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: clarifying stuff...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WishfulThinking For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 10:12 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
Trish has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Trish has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Trish has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Trish has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Trish has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Trish has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Trish has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Trish has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Not easy or cheap but pretty much only thing that has works....leave the house, drop the cats off for a professional flea treatment and get your house professionally bombed.

Sorry - fleas really suck and are such a PITA. I would advised once you get rid of them completely to treat monthly with a good medication like Advantage. It's not cheap either but we use it monthly on both dogs (who do go outside) and both indoor cats and it is worth it to keep them from ever coming back.

HTH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 10:16 AM

is missing her mom more than ever.
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
Faith has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Faith has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Faith has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Faith has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Faith has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Faith has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Faith has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Faith has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Faith has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Faith has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Faith has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We use Advantage also, cause my one kitty likes to go outside and also manages to bring some little pest home for dinner! Trish is right, it's not cheap, but it does work.

If your cats are heavily infested, you might want to call the vet and see if they can get a flea dip.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faith For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 10:27 AM

Jenn

My Mood/Status:
jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jennjenn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
What about Frontline? Have you tried that? One application lasts all month and it rids the fleas in 24 hours.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Molly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ari
, Simon
, Orange
Tuxie

please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets
The Following User Says Thank You to jennjenn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 10:34 AM

keep on smyelin!

My Mood/Status:
bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinking View Post
Borax... Borax as a carpet freshner, rub it in lightly with a broom and vacuum up. Works wonderful for keeping them outta the carpets and things and it's much safer than some of the pesticides. I've also sat out plates of dawn and water to attract them and than kill them.

As for on the kitties... I am not sure... I've used the Sergeant's Nature's Guardian products and they've worked nicely... only I didn't have a real infestation on my hands at the time. It's pretty potent stuff though so I never used the full amount directed because the smell is so strong my kitties would go nutso. There was a $1 off Q put out a few months back for this stuff too.
Be careful using Borax if you have kids. Even small amounts can cause skin and respiratory irritation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bette For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 11:33 AM

My Mood/Status:
twodogmom has posted more than 300 great deals!twodogmom has posted more than 300 great deals!twodogmom has posted more than 300 great deals!twodogmom has posted more than 300 great deals!
Fleas

I swear by the 20 Mule Team Borax. Sprinkle it on the carpets before you go to bed and when you get up in the a.m. sweep it up. You will have to redo this in about a week. Fleas grow in stages and you have to kill each stage.

In 20 years of having cats and dogs, I have never bombed the house. My 20 Mule Team has done the trick every time.

As for the kitties, I would put some Advantage on them. HTH
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twodogmom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 11:33 AM

loving her new job
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
RainJ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RainJ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RainJ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RainJ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RainJ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RainJ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RainJ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RainJ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RainJ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RainJ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RainJ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
My DH's grandmother swears that if you put salt on your floors and leave sit over night that it will get rid of fleas. She says that they explode, LOL funny imagine sitting and watching them over night, LOL

Anyway we tried this and believe it or not it works. I just went to the DG bought a bunch of table salt they are .33 each there sprinkled it very generously all over all the floors and then cleaned up the mess the next day. I had to do this two seperate times but it is a very cheap and good way to get rid of them

As for your kitty i have no clue im not allowed to have cats, LOL DH doesnt like them and thats how we got fleas in our house in the first place
Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 PM

probably at Target
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
A friend gave me a rug once and after having it for a day in my house we were infested with fleas. I use frontline on all of my animals and while i still had to treat my house, thankfully all my critters were protected from the infestation. It took us a while to get it out of our house....i think we used some spray (often) and vacuumed ALOT.

~~once you get rid of them the best solution is to treat your cats monthly. While I understand its costly (i have 6 animals so i understand the cost) fleas are such a gigantic PITA and your only defense is to prevent them because once you have them its twice as difficult and costly to get rid of them. I'm fortunate right now because i have a friend who is a rep for Abbott Laboratories and he's been hooking me up with flea stuff for a while now. I've got a nice supply going. Regardless I would still keep them all on frontline~~because one simple encounter with another animal with one tiny flea could mean an outbreak at home.

~I will not run in the rain, I will not run near a train. I will not run when it's hot, Enjoy running? I do not ~

Rescue a pet today~~they'll be forever grateful

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AngieP For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 01:01 PM

wants to thank all of AFC for their hard work!
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
YouMe&3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!YouMe&3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!YouMe&3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!YouMe&3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!YouMe&3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!YouMe&3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!YouMe&3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!YouMe&3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!YouMe&3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!YouMe&3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!YouMe&3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I hate fleas so bad!! My indoor cats got them once and the only way we could get rid of them was calling a professional...he sprayed and they were gone with in 24 hours, also, it kept them away.

My cats I put Revolution on them...it killed the existing fleas and when the eggs dropped on the floor, they died right after they hatched because the professional spray was still working.

To keep the fleas away, apply Revolution (or Frontline) every month...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YouMe&3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 01:12 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!*Ems*Cakes has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have this same problem! My kitty got into a nest of fleas and they literally exploded all over my apt!

I tried the products you can buy at Walmart, and none of those did a thing so I wouldn't waste your money. I got Frontline from the vet and a carpet spray called Knockout E.S. After spraying, I vacuumed every day for a week. They are still not completely gone, but definitely 95% of them are.

It's really frustrating, but if you stick with the vacuuming and spraying, it can be done! Good luck!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:23 PM

byktrash has posted more than 100 good deals!byktrash has posted more than 100 good deals!
with cats you must be very careful what products you use. I have been a groomer for 18 years and have seen/heard many horror stories. I would use the Advantage or Frontline on a cat. Yes it is expensive, but much safer than the cheaper brands. The cheap stuff actually goes in thier bloodstream, while the "good" stuff stays in the hair follicles, and/or, epidermis. As for "dipping" NNNNOOOOO!!!!! you do not want to put chemicals on a cat, because they lick themselves. Even though something says it is safe for a cat, it is not always the case.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to byktrash For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 04:34 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
KeizerMom has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!KeizerMom has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!KeizerMom has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!KeizerMom has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!KeizerMom has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!KeizerMom has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!KeizerMom has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!KeizerMom has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!KeizerMom has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!KeizerMom has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!KeizerMom has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I had to deal with dormant fleas that decided to start hatching and attacking my kids a couple years ago. We don't have any pets that they were living on, but I did a variety of things to keep them from attacking the bunny.

Apparently lavendar is a natural repellent. I had my kids taking baths daily with lavendar and/or tea tree essential oils sprinkled in. The bunny got special lavendar bedding for a month or so.

Lucky for me the fleas could only live so long before dying off without an animal host, but they were hatching for WEEKS. I guess previous tenants had pets with fleas. Between the pediatrician, school, dermatologist and vet we managed to beat them back. My middle daughter is REALLY allergic to flea bites, so she was of course the one they ATE up. At any given time she had 50+ small round bandaids on to keep her from scratching until she bled....which she did in her sleep anyway.

If you're serious about not wanting to use toxic stuff, go to an Organic store and ask them to recommend stuff. My sister knows all such things by heart and she's who pointed us in the right direction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KeizerMom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 06:14 PM

Loves to get people to laugh

rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm not sure how it works for cats. But biospot works well on my dogs and it doesn't require a prescription you can get it at most pet stores, or if you have more than one you can get it from 1800PetMeds.com - America's Pet Medication and Pet Health Resource for less.
The Following User Says Thank You to rntg83 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks for all the help everyone. Im gonna give your ideas a try. Ugh, I hate fleas!!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 PM

AFC Star Member

simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Don't forget to take your cats to the vet. Not only do they get fleas they get worms from the fleas!!!! Get the worm medication from the vet the over the counter stuff doesn't work. When the cats groom themselves they ingest the eggs for the worms ( which the fleas carry inside their bodies) It is a vicious cycle. They may need to be wormed monthly till all the fleas are gone. I'm going thru this right now with my two cats. Bleah!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simba123 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 PM

is being held hostage by Grits!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!dontbreakme has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree with the posters above. The cats definitely need to see a vet too to rule out any worms and stuff. I hope you are able to get this problem under control and have your babies flea free and your home too ASAP! Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to dontbreakme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2008, 08:55 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Princess1969 has posted more than 200 great deals!Princess1969 has posted more than 200 great deals!Princess1969 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I am unsure about cats but our "new" dog had fleas and Black Flag now has a product that is safe to spray on pets and their bedding, carpets, etc. It worked great for me! I found it at the Dollar General store for around 3.50. You have to make sure you vaccum the floors constantly! You will probably have to go to the vet and get wormed. Our puppy did develop tape worms, not a pretty thing to deal with! He is fine now and we have no fleas, thank the Lord! Btw, I have heard the salt trick mentioned on DIY network, I haven't tried it but it might at least help, won't hurt. Good luck!

Tags
cats, fleas