Need A Little Advise From Dog Owners About Jake Going In Public!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
is waiting for her DS to visit 3/27
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Need a little advise from dog owners about Jake going in public!

I have not been taking my pup out much so far due to the heat we have here. Well now it's starting to cool down some. And Jake is 8 months old. At first I would not take him out in public for health reasons. I wanted to be sure that all his shots were now good and he would not pick up the uckies that other owners did not get shots for.

He goes with me to places that I know are safe, and he is welcome to come in there home. He really is well mannered for a pup.

So tonite I take him to Petsmart. He is scared. Of course everyone wants to pet him because he's so darn cute. But he wanted nothing to do with that. He did not act up, but was a little nervous.

What should I do to help him be more comfortable in public? Just keep taking him out, carry treats in my pocket? The cashiers always have a treat for them. And he shyly took the 'cookie' then drew back to eat it.

He is not aggressive to anyone or even the cat there! He just shyed away from all the people. Is this something that will be ok in time? I'v never had an animal that act's this way in public before.

I feel like I have hurt him by not taking him out to places any sooner. But with the heat, his age and my work It's just not something that has been easy to do. Town is 16 miles away. To load him up and drive into the nearest town is just a pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 08:30 PM

RE: Need a little advise from dog owners about Jake going in public!

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
uniqueusername has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!uniqueusername has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!uniqueusername has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!uniqueusername has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!uniqueusername has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!uniqueusername has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I have a chihuahua and they are notoriously scared of everything including their own tail. LOL

I take Lucy as many places as I can, she is 7 months old and I have been doing this pretty much since the day I brought her home.. The more I take her out the more comfortable she is...

I would say just keep taking him places, let him see people and other animals he will get used to the attention and wont be aggressive later towards people he doesnt know..

Good Luck!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to uniqueusername For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2008, 08:33 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
So you think he will get over this? I will take him as much as possible. The heat should be gone by Halloween. Hopefully that will be easier. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to lifeworthliving For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2008, 08:37 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
uniqueusername has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!uniqueusername has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!uniqueusername has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!uniqueusername has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!uniqueusername has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!uniqueusername has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I honestly dont see any reason why he shouldnt get over it... SO far so good with my baby, and she is more comfy every time.....
The Following User Says Thank You to uniqueusername For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2008, 08:39 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
With my smaller dogs i could take them every where. Thank you so much for helping me. He's my baby, and I just don't want to mess this up.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:30 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
schertzonian has posted more than 200 great deals!schertzonian has posted more than 200 great deals!schertzonian has posted more than 200 great deals!
Honestly, I think you should watch a couple episodes of Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan. I have a jack russell terrier who I was having horrible problems with walking because he would try to walk me and drag me down the street.
This man is a miracle worker with dogs IMO. He is all about the dog pack and what dogs are suppose to do and it is amazing what he can do with a dog to rehabilitate them. I have watched a lot of his episodes and have applied what he said and I am now able to walk my dog instead of my dog walking me..LOL!!!
He is not mean and does not yell or abuse the animals and is just the Pack Leader and this is what he teaches owners to be so that the dog is calm and submits without fear.
He has had episodes where dogs are fearful of humans, cars, etc and he has taught the owners how to teach them not to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to schertzonian For This Useful Post: