What Grocery Stores Have The Lowest Prices Near Pittsburgh, PA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

itsazoo has posted more than 5 good deals
Question What grocery stores have the lowest prices near Pittsburgh, PA?

Hello forum!

I'm trying to figure out where the cheapest place to grocery shop is. Sure, all stores have great sales some times, but I work full time so I don't have time (or gas money!) to drive to several stores for deals, so I'm looking for the cheapest overall store. I my area the choices are Walmart, Sam's, Target (not Super so only a small grocery dept), Giant Eagle, County Market & Freidmans/BiLo.

I am just getting in to more serious couponing* but still have a lot to learn! I generally grocery shopped at Walmart but I hated the lines and the fact that they never had everything I wanted in stock. A few months ago I started shopping Giant Eagle to see if I'd save money because it's closer, they double coupons, extra 10% on store brands (my bf works there) and gas perks. After about 2 months (7-8 trips) I started questioning my savings because while it LOOKED like I was saving money -about $35 on a $100'ish trip- and getting those gas perks, in reality my bank account was suffering. I decided it was time to get some cold hard numbers.

I went to GE, Walmart & Bottom Dollar and wrote down the price for every item I purchase regularly and discovered that I was spending about $50 a week MORE at Giant Eagle. I went back to Walmart but then I came here and I see that a LOT of people shop at GE. Am I missing something?!

Anyone else in the area have this experience or some good advice? I need all the help I can get! Thanks much!!

* My bf & I spend about 1-2 hours a week on coupon related things. At this point, a lot of that time is research. I'm about to start a coupon binder. I just clip coupons from SS in my freebie paper & from Coupons.com. I have some brand loyalty. I don't buy many multiples- maybe 2 or 3 occasionally. I'm just starting to go online to compare sales to coupons (thanks to this site!). I don't have a stockpile but I am starting to build up a very small backstock- generally at Sam's Club.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 PM

RE: What grocery stores have the lowest prices near Pittsburgh, PA?

listening to the music of the spheres
Buddhist Bon Vivant Pataphysicist!

My Mood/Status:
siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
You could try asking in the Pennsylvania Deals forum. Here is a link to help you Pennsylvania Deals - Grocery Coupons & Deal Forums - A Full Cup

Hope this helps you!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:26 PM

itsazoo has posted more than 5 good deals
Thanks for moving this to the right section!
Old 06-20-2012, 04:27 PM

shyspartan
I would say Bottom Dollar has the lowest regular prices if you can't put as much time in checking out weekly sales. For Giant Eagle you really need to combine sales with coupons or get totally ripped off. Bottom Dollar is the same or cheaper than Walmart on a lot of basics that I buy. The main downside is less selection.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:44 PM

myplumfamily has posted more than 200 great deals!myplumfamily has posted more than 200 great deals!myplumfamily has posted more than 200 great deals!
I am from Pittsburgh area and my main store is shop n save. I only do Giant Eagle for the sale items. I'm like you, work full time so I always come one here and another website to see if its even worth the trip to GE for the week. I personally have found going to rite aid and CVS (both on my way to work) are great deals instead of the grocery store!! of course its more time and work to plan the deals but I'm starting to see a change in the finances by stocking up through them. hope this helps and good luck to you!!