It's Official....

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2005, 06:13 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!
It's Official....

I am the incoming PTA President for Skye's school. Thinking I have "SUCKER" tatooed across my forehead. Now I have to do damage control and clean up after the outgoing president. I am keeping him as VP of Fundraising just so I don't have to deal with Entertainment Book and Cookie Dough sales, but don't plan on giving him any real responsibility. I have my treasurer of choice too since the pres was doing the treasurer's job for her and the current treasurer is stepping down too.
Seeking advice or ideas and things that I need to know with my new job. A couple of big questions on how you handle things...
1. Returned checks from parents - Last year they were completely written off. This year looks like the same thing will happen and I just found out about it. How do you go about collecting the funds?
2. Membership cards - Does the State PTA provide these or are the local PTA's supposed to handle this? I have not gotten a membership card in the last 3 years. The first thing I got was when I received my Life Membership a month ago.

I know I could look on the State / National sites, but those give RULES and not the people factor too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2005, 06:21 AM

RE: It's Official....

YMMV Radio

riffparker has posted more than 150 good deals!riffparker has posted more than 150 good deals!
1. Returned checks from parents - Last year they were completely written off. This year looks like the same thing will happen and I just found out about it. How do you go about collecting the funds?

You wait till a wednesday. You redeposit the checks. People get paid on Fridays so they will clear the second time around, hopefully. At least you'll get some of the fees back that you would have normally eaten.

If they bounce a second time, send them a bill for the original amount plus service fees, and request payment by money order only. If they don't pay hire a collections agency.

The point is get the message out.. "You dont mess with the PTA."

Hoo boy, I could use some more coffee!

-----------------------------------------------------------
for more bad advice like this, listen to ymmvradio.com
Old 05-18-2005, 06:26 AM

My Mood/Status:
skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!
Have some more coffee and get back to me on this one. We DEFINITELY need to do something because some of the checks are for $100+. The checks are automatically redeposited so they are "dead" when they get back to the PTA. Will have to check with the school district on the collection agency thing - would rather not allienate (sp) the parents if I don't have to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:52 AM

Grounded for Life

Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
We finally found a bank that doesn't charge us for bounced checks. We were able to get a "school" account since the main purpose of PTA is to raise money for the school...at least that is what we convinced the bank! Bounced checks are sooo awful. The other thing we do is set a deadline about 10 days out before product is delivered (yearbooks, cookies..whatever). At that point it is cash or mo ONLY! One thing with that is make sure that you state on your flyers that sending cash to school is ayor. We had a problem with a 5th graders money 'disappearing' this year.

My big advice from what I have learned...make sure that you go to as many leadership trainings and conventions as possible! I learned SOOOOO much, and here I thought I knew it all. We were doing so many things wrong and never knew it! You have my # so call me anytime. I have gotten pretty good about all the legal stuff involved.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:56 AM

Grounded for Life

Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
More thoughts--you cannot legall charge for bounced checks since you are a 501.

State should be giving membership cards to your Corresponding Secretary--or whatever the title is in your by-laws. She/he should be sending them to each member with a receipt, especially since if they pay over that portion is tax deductable.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:01 AM

My Mood/Status:
Can we charge the parent the fee the bank charges us?

Thinking maybe someone is not doing their job then since we are not getting the cards. Wonder if they are not getting the $ submitted in time.

Old 05-18-2005, 07:13 AM

Grounded for Life

You should be getting the cards before hand. It shouls come in the packet. You would know if the money was not going in on time as State would notify you.

Nope, can't charge parents. Really try to look for a bank that won't charge. I think we are with Silver State.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:20 AM

My Mood/Status:
MomSavesDotCom has posted more than 10 good deals
Fundraising

My daughter's school did a cool fundraiser last year. They emailed a catalog of products (standard fundraising stuff) to the parents with links where they could forward it to family and friends. You placed your order, paid for it with cc and it was shipped directly to you. No collecting - no delivering - wonderful! She said they made a lot of money on it too.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
That's one of the nice things about the Entertainment Books. They can be ordered online and no cash changes hands. Makes it a lot easier on long distance people.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:35 AM

crazy
Mama G

My Mood/Status:
cashio5smama has posted more than 200 great deals!cashio5smama has posted more than 200 great deals!cashio5smama has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyesmom
I am the incoming PTA President for Skye's school. Thinking I have "SUCKER" tatooed across my forehead. Now I have to do damage control and clean up after the outgoing president. I am keeping him as VP of Fundraising just so I don't have to deal with Entertainment Book and Cookie Dough sales, but don't plan on giving him any real responsibility. I have my treasurer of choice too since the pres was doing the treasurer's job for her and the current treasurer is stepping down too.
Seeking advice or ideas and things that I need to know with my new job. A couple of big questions on how you handle things...
2. Membership cards - Does the State PTA provide these or are the local PTA's supposed to handle this? I have not gotten a membership card in the last 3 years. The first thing I got was when I received my Life Membership a month ago.

I know I could look on the State / National sites, but those give RULES and not the people factor too.

I am a PTO treasurer and i always just present the "dead" check to the bank it was written on ( its a little more time to actually go to the bank but its worth it.) I go every friday morning until they can send it through or give the PTO a bank draft on it. i have been to many different banks and never been denied. (checks are supposed to been good for 90 days so you might be able to do something about the checks you already have that have been "written off"
Old 05-18-2005, 09:53 AM

bhahn has posted more than 5 good deals
That's called a home delivery program. Each school gets their own code and you can order online. We call it the Out of town family fundraiser. Make sure if you do this kind of fundraiser that you stress the importance of sending out as many emails as possible. I don't know about other companies but our home delivery catalog, when you order, your only charged $1.50 for shipping and handling on the whole order for each customer, so if they order 20 items, it only cost $1.50 to ship. What does the company you used do?

Tags
official