Schedule For 2-4 Yr Olds

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2005, 09:07 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Schedule for 2-4 yr olds

What is your childs daily schedule? I mean like what time do they get up, nap, each lunch etc. I seem to be struggling with what is a good schedule. DS usually sleeps 9pm to 8am. This worked for me but I think he should be going to bed earlier. He is currently all screwed up because we were out of town then my parents were here and it takes a while to get him back to normal. I figured maybe changing now while he is already off schedule might be good. I usually put him down for a nap 12-12:30 he sleeps which varies 1-2 hours. I give him a bath at 8:30 and bed at 9.

I have a problem figuring out what time to give him lunch. If he eats at 8 then again before nap its only 1130 but after nap it's 230 then dinner about 5. It could be me but it all seems so crammed together! He is now on a 10/11-9/930 schedule (sorta) He doesn't nap until 2-3!

Today he got up at 8 and at 1130 I put him in for a nap because is was yawning like a nut! Is that to close to wake up time to schedule a nap? I'd like for him to start being asleep at 8.

I'd like to know what your kids schedules are. Maybe I can find something that will work for me or use different things from different schedules. Also what time do you go to bed? I find even if my son is asleep at 9 I am up until all hours of the night then so tired. Last night I hit bed at 11:45 and DS got me up at 1230 and at 9am I felt tired (go figure) I am also struggling with him NOT wanting to sleep in his own bed. He sleeps there but as soon as he wakes up he is screaming and comes in with us. DS will be 3 in July. He is a little less understanding than what you might expect from other 3 year olds so keep that in mind. When I ask him what's wrong, why is he crying, why doesn't he want to sleep in his room etc etc he really doesn't 100% get what I am asking. Thought that would be important to know when thinking 3 yr old should listen
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 09:24 AM

RE: Schedule for 2-4 yr olds

Grounded for Life

angelynne has posted more than 50 good deals
You could do what they did on nanny 911, the kid wouldn't go to bed so the mom would put him in the bed and just sit there and not look at him til he fell asleep except to put him back in the bed when he got up. Of course I dont have kids but it seemed to work pretty well on the show. As far as the rest of the schedule i know my ex SIL was struggling with figuring out a schedule too, my niece is only 1 1/2 though, and I haven't really talked to her since she ditched us a few months ago, but she was having the same issue especially cause she worked retail and her schedule was different all the time. Good luck
Old 05-13-2005, 09:31 AM

AFC Star Member

Cyra has posted more than 150 good deals!Cyra has posted more than 150 good deals!
Mine were always on a schedule. Having four boys, I had too.. Mine always went to bed at 8 pm. No matter what. They ususally were so cranky by then, I was glad to see 8 pm come.

They woke up about 7 or 8 or I woke them up. They then ate breakfast and played and usually had a morning snack. Ate lunch around 12-1 pm and went to bed at 8 pm.
I think keeping them active is a key to having them fall asleep at a decent time. Mine were always outside playing. I use to go to the park a lot with them too. Good way to get them to get that afternoon nap in.

It's been a while. My youngest is almost 10..

Another thing is having them take baths, seems to relax them for bed time..
Old 05-13-2005, 09:43 AM

HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelynne
You could do what they did on nanny 911, the kid wouldn't go to bed so the mom would put him in the bed and just sit there and not look at him til he fell asleep except to put him back in the bed when he got up. Of course I dont have kids but it seemed to work pretty well on the show.
I do this and it works the problem is getting him to stay there al night. My DH goes to bed at 9pm so it's difficult to let him cry to "teach him" because if he wakes up DH..........

Steph, when did you stick a nap in?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:48 AM

AFC Star Member

Cyra has posted more than 150 good deals!Cyra has posted more than 150 good deals!
Never napped to much when they were little..I sometimes would nap with them. With them all in School now, I'm more than making up for the messed naps now.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:52 AM

You kids didn't nap? oh lordy
Old 05-13-2005, 11:13 AM

crazy
Mama G

My Mood/Status:
cashio5smama has posted more than 200 great deals!cashio5smama has posted more than 200 great deals!cashio5smama has posted more than 200 great deals!
When My kids were that age they were in bed no later then 8:00PM We would usually start heading that way around 7:30 or 7:45 we would read a story or maybe two depending?????on their attitude and then they got up between 6:45am and 7:30 am. They would start their nap about 10:30 to 11:00am usually back up by 12:30 and then its lunch time.
I had this routine with all five of my children and it worked pretty well for us??????????
I had one child that liked to sleep in my bed and I bribed him with Hot Wheels when he was between 3 and 4.( if he could sleep in his bed all night for a certain amount of time (a week) we would go get a new hot wheel)
Old 05-13-2005, 11:45 AM

Did you naturally wake up before ow with them? I never wake up until DS wakes me up. That's the hard part. Ans since he is in the bed with me I can't use an alwarm to wake myself up earlier because I am worried it will wake him up too.

He doesn't understand bribes yet I am hopeful it's coming though
Old 05-13-2005, 12:44 PM

AFC Star Member

Quote:
You kids didn't nap? oh lordy

Oh yea they took naps every day, All of them. Life was stressful enough.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyra
Never napped to much when they were little..
Make up your mind Steph LOL
Old 05-13-2005, 01:14 PM

AFC Star Member

I ment 'Me'. I didn't nap that much. If they were napping, I was usually doing chores.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:19 PM

LOL Well I don't nap either so guess I you don't need to help me there
Old 05-13-2005, 02:50 PM

crazy
Mama G

My Mood/Status:
cashio5smama has posted more than 200 great deals!cashio5smama has posted more than 200 great deals!cashio5smama has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyHobby
Did you naturally wake up before ow with them? I never wake up until DS wakes me up. That's the hard part. Ans since he is in the bed with me I can't use an alwarm to wake myself up earlier because I am worried it will wake him up too.

He doesn't understand bribes yet I am hopeful it's coming though

Yes I have an internal clock. I always wake up at about 6:30am! Even when I want to sleep in!!!!!I hate that......
Old 05-13-2005, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashio5smama
Yes I have an internal clock. I always wake up at about 6:30am! Even when I want to sleep in!!!!!I hate that......
*sigh* I do too but it's 9am LOL
Old 05-13-2005, 03:17 PM

crazy
Mama G

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyHobby
*sigh* I do too but it's 9am LOL

See we all want what we don't have cause I would love to sleep til 9:00 just one time. I wish we could just trade one time.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashio5smama
See we all want what we don't have cause I would love to sleep til 9:00 just one time. I wish we could just trade one time.
See the difference is 9 is to early for me LOL I am trying to adjust.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:35 PM

crazy
Mama G

My Mood/Status:
I see, I see!!
Old 05-13-2005, 03:41 PM

Gone crazy, be back later

ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!
HH - I'll post our schedules when I get a minute...
Old 05-13-2005, 05:26 PM

My Mood/Status:
skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!
Skye has always had a 9:00 bedtime and it has worked for us. Since I was getting her up at 6:00 to get ready for daycare and then school and she got a nap after lunch, we didn't have a problem with bedtime. If she is really tired, she will go to bed earlier or would ask me to snuggle and she would fall asleep. I think the key is a consistent schedule. JMHO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:29 AM

twinmom

twinmom has posted more than 1 good deal
My kids are 5, 3, 2/2, so scheduling has always been a really big deal for me. Without it, I would have gone insane by now! My kids get up between 7-7:30 (the 5 year old has a clock with strict instructions not to leave her room until she sees the "7"), eat by 8, then play until 12 (DD goes to Kindergarten...). The three boys then eat at 11:30-12:00ish, and the 2 year old DSs go for a nap between 12:30-1:00 pm. They are up by 3-4 pm.

DD and DS (5 and 3) no longer nap, but they have "quiet time" upstairs (one TV show, 1/2 hr of play...total 1 hr!) during the twin's nap time so Mommy has her time! (This is a lifesaver!) Then, depending on the day, then I really run them all hard play-wise (outside, swings, etc.) in the afternoon, so they will go down for bed well. We eat at 6 pm (or else the twins have a meltdown!), bath by 7:15, bed by 8:00. (A bedtime routine helps...bath, snuggle, story, pray, whatever but in the same basic order.)

My daughter always had a hard time staying in her own bed, until we gave her a chart to earn stickers for every time she went to bed well and stayed in her room until 7 am. After 10 stickers, she earned "treasure chest," where she got a toy from a box I filled at the dollar store. This also might work for transitioning to his/her own bed from Mommy's!

HTH! I feel your pain! It is so hard when the kiddos tire you out!

Jennifer
Old 05-14-2005, 06:29 AM

Thanks Jennifer! That's great! I am taking little notes from what everyone says You would think I just brought him home yestrday

Tags
olds, schedule