Question For Parents

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 05:07 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

ghamman has posted more than 150 good deals!ghamman has posted more than 150 good deals!
Question for parents

Not sure where to post this so if this is the wrong place please move it where it belongs. I have a 6 year old that just finished kindergarten this year. While I personally loved his teacher she was new to teaching so very focused on doing exactly what she was told. While this is great it tended to be teaching to the lower students without challenging the higher ones. My son entered kindergarten testing at the higher end of the beginning of the year assessment. Unfortunately over the he didn't progress much.

This summer I decided to spend time working with him. For those of you with kids or are teachers what would you suggest I focus on this summer?
The Following User Says Thank You to ghamman For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 05:50 AM

RE: Question for parents

Team Free Will!!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
What does he show interest and good progress in? DD always loved math and has always been advanced in it so I used to buy her math workbooks and flash cards for her to do in the summer. I figured I would challenge where the teachers weren't and they would foucs on her weaknesses during school.

It worked out nicely as she is now in the advanced math class and in the gifted student's program at her school (she is now in 8th grade). She also took the ACT test last Feburary and scored a 16 (average HS student scores 20-25.). So maybe find something that will hold his interest while still challenging him.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
work, couponing, housework, and my sweet girl
Old 06-19-2014, 06:05 AM

ghamman has posted more than 150 good deals!ghamman has posted more than 150 good deals!
He does well with math and has recently been showing an interest in history. I plan on taking him to some history sites this summer since I live near williamsburg, va.

He really struggles with reading since he hasn't really worked on learning to sound out words. His school system does a lot of coral reading. So he learned a poem and then using that memorized words was expected to be able to read them out of context.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:43 PM

My Mood/Status:
lisaflex has posted more than 400 great deals!lisaflex has posted more than 400 great deals!lisaflex has posted more than 400 great deals!lisaflex has posted more than 400 great deals!lisaflex has posted more than 400 great deals!
we have a year round tutor to include the entire summer. helps immensely!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:19 PM

nick_rachel has posted more than 25 good deals
Reading reading reading. Let him read to you, you read to him. I think the idea of going to some historical sites is great as well.Also things like nature walks, trips to museums you normally don't go to, even trips to the zoo or aquarium and take the time to really talk to him about stuff and let him look and ask questions.