Kids Chores?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 05:52 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Brandy919 has posted more than 200 great deals!Brandy919 has posted more than 200 great deals!Brandy919 has posted more than 200 great deals!
kids chores?

What age did our start assigning chores to your children? Our son is 8 and we fee that he should start to help around the house. I'm just curious what types of things other parents have this children do and how you reward them, if at all. We talked about some sort of system where he would earn extra Time to play on the Wii, watch vod or computer time, however I can't seem to figure out a way to reward for chores or even how to police it in the first place.

My dh has two daughters both out on their own they never had to do a chore or lift a finger to help around the house. my parents had me cleaning the whole house at an early age, I hope to be somewhere in between Lol!

Thanks for your input and ideas!

Always be the best you can
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brandy919 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 05:58 PM

RE: kids chores?

qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
My girls started doing their own laundry when they were 6. They wanted a cat so they do the cat chores (feeding, scooping, etc). They clean and vacuum their own rooms. They each clean a bathroom. They each vacuum 1/2 the house.
We give our girls allowance and started chores around the same time. They get their age every week. 1/2 goes in to savings, part into giving and the rest is spending money. They are 12 and 13 now. We don't pay them to do chores because we all have our roles to keep the household running smoothly, including my parents that live with us. But if they don't do their weekly chores by Sat. night, they won't get that week's allowance.
Hope that helps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qrazy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2013, 06:13 PM

:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
There are a lot of different philosophies on chores and I still haven't decided which way I want to head with it. My kids (ages 5 and 2) sometimes like the idea of having a job so they'll get really enthusiastic about helping to unload the dishwasher or vacuuming in the kitchen and they have very little clue about money yet so I haven't connected chores and money for them. Yet. I'm not ruling it out in the future. If you search Pinterest for "chores" and "chores by age" you'll find tons of links for chore chart systems, and age-appropriate chore lists to give you some ideas. Instead of throwing 6 chores at my DD all at once I'm phasing them in one a week or every other week.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2013, 06:28 PM

My Mood/Status:
crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
My 7 year old washes and dries the clothes, cleans his room and helps tidy up around the house. My 2 year old cleans his own room and helps tidy up the house as well. At first I wasn't sure about giving them chores but after cleaning our house everyday I gave in . Now my 7 year old says he wants to clean his own restroom but I'm still at a toss up on that one. We don't pay him weekly but if he does his chores all week he gets to get gummy worms whenever we go to cvs the little one likes gummy bears so that's there allowance. They last them a couple of days too so a win win for me. There have been times where they don't get there gummies and I can tell on there little faces that they regret not doing there chores so although its not money I think it's still a good lesson.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
step mom to aj 18yrs old
wife to Alfred
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crystallv For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2013, 07:42 PM

I've been Elfed!

My Mood/Status:
shelychris has posted more than 100 good deals!shelychris has posted more than 100 good deals!
Absolutely assign your child chores! I now have four teenagers and they have been doing chores since they were about 2. Besides the obvious of picking up toys, I starting with emptying the bathroom trash cans. Boy, I could go on forever about this topic so I apologize if I ramble...
Even if they do not do the chore as you would, it is critical for them to learn how. You could just make it a game to "I Spy" as many things that they might have missed...or whatever. My kids are all responsible for their rooms, laundry, dishes one night a week and just general maintanence. I am a huge Super Nanny fan, and I've always agreed with her...absolutely no allowance. However, I've sort of given my kids the option to get $xxx amount a week, or what I've always done, which is buy their school clothes, movie tickets, random excursions, etc. Obviously, they are okay without an allowance! They've even figured out they come out way ahead! I am confident that if my husband and I fell off the face of the earth tomorrow, our kids would be completely self sufficient. They can all cook, clean, sew, can, etc. I truly don't mean to pat myself on the back, but they are wonderful children that respect others and themselves. My biggest issue is making sure they pick up their rooms...I'll take it!

PS...kids can make excellent couponing buddies and helpers! My youngest told me about at year ago that when she went to college, she was going to need her own dorm room so she would have plenty of space for her stockpile!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelychris For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 01:35 AM

is thankful for holidays that bring family home

My Mood/Status:
brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
your son should have had chores YEARS ago!

start him on anything that he is capable to do, especially things he directly benefits from...his room, his clothes, his toys, etc

I never did rewards...it was more to maintain priveledges...watching tv, games, playtime, etc

it was pitched as part of being in a family that helps each other have a nice home and time to do fun things

help him at first, if he has trouble...like cleaning room...then set expectations
-
- - Brook6 - -
-
-
- -

> - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - >
-
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brook6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 05:21 AM

My Mood/Status:
Brandy919 has posted more than 200 great deals!Brandy919 has posted more than 200 great deals!Brandy919 has posted more than 200 great deals!
It's not as if he doesn't have responsibility, he is required to clean his room as asked and to keep the playroom clean daily. He knows how to clean the dishes to go in the dishwasher (i still load it though) and how to unload the dishwasher ( minus the sharp stuff!)

I just wanted to know what others require of their children and how they reward / keep track, etc.
I don't really believe in allowance, as we get him pretty much what he needs and wants as we see fit and he earns money for helping with our family business, as well as for doing well in school (he does really well and makes us proud)

We have just recently noticed that he is spending majority of his time either on YouTube, Wii, or watching TV, which we are not fond of. he plays with his Lego s a lot, that is good! But we feel he needs to be more constructive with more of his time.

How do u keep track of the chores? Just verbally? A chore chart? Dry erase board?

Thanks for all the input already, I appreciate all of it!

Always be the best you can
The Following User Says Thank You to Brandy919 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 05:38 AM

I've been Elfed!

My Mood/Status:
shelychris has posted more than 100 good deals!shelychris has posted more than 100 good deals!
We only have a Wii and the kids go in spurts playing with that. Super Nanny and I both say to have a set amount of time for computers and TV...how long...Idk...I got lucky that my girls are readers and Jack just wants to be outdoors. When the girls get on a TV kick somehow the remotes go missing for a day or two...hmmmm? I've mostly just done verbal but super Nanny does a lot of charts for that age. (sorry...but I love her and she does some major child transformations!) After so many stars...stickers...etc, they get a gold coin, then after 10 got a special treat. Or if you see them do something extra or nice...you can give them another coin!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelychris For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 06:17 AM

My Mood/Status:
mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
My little guy is 4 1/2 and he's been helping since he was able to besides cleaning up toys and his room. He's actually been more of a help without us even asking since I got pregnant because he understands as mommy got bigger it was harder to get stuff done .
We don't have a chart or anything we just verbally tell him when stuff needs to be done and there's no allowance because kids should help around the house, you're paying for the house, food and everything else .

Here's just a few things he does I know your son is older but I'm a proud momma of a 4 year old who does so much so I'm gonna brag hehehehe....

After I fold towels he goes in the bathroom with the empty basket and puts whatever dirty towels are on the floor in the basket.
I fold his clothes but he puts the stuff in drawers while I hang shirts.
When I come home with groceries he puts away whatever he can reach to the fridge and cabinets. On a side/funny note, after watching me put away stockpile for years he's become OCD too and knows momma likes everything facing the same way he'll tell the hubby "Dad you have to turn it this way like the other ones".
He brings all the dinner dishes in so dad can wash them after dinner.
He helps pack his lunch.
Geez I could go on but you get the point. Whatever your son is capable of at his age then he should be doing it. I had alot of responsibility as a kid and being the oldest and my brother got spoiled and now he is 23 living with my parents (nothing wrong with that) but he doesn't do ANYTHING and I want my lil guy to be self sufficient. It will help him in the long run.

Want to be a WW/Buddy member? Post in 'Contact Us' for more info and to be considered for the Buddy and/or Welcome Wagon team!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsdayday1188 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 AM

My Mood/Status:
tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I don't follow any kind of chart. But my kids also get no allowance. But we figure we all live here we all have to keep it presentable. I will pay them if I ask them to do something extra. And I go by their capabilities. My 13 yr old has aspergers so his chore everyday is the kitchen because he does better with a routine. My 15yr old helps his dad every weekend at the house we are rehabbing or if something needs fixed at our rental house he cuts the grass and any heavy lifting or little things I need done/fixed when his dad is at work or watches the babies if I go to the store. So he usually gets a pass on regular chores except occasionally throwing clothes in the washer/dryer. My 8yr old just does what I tell him to do.
I think you might have to try a couple different things just to see what works for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to tharte36 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 07:43 AM

Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I don't have kids so my answer is from me personally. I always had chores, as long as I can remember. I had to clean my room, help with the pets, clean the bathroom, help with the dishes and then put them away, and bring my laundry downstairs to be washed and then fold it and put it away when it was done. We also had a play room/video game area in the basement which we had to clean.

My parents also did antique shows so I was required to help them set up and take money accurately. I knew how to add purchases, figure tax and make change by the time I was 10 without a register/calculator.

When I was 14 I started to make dinner every night and plan what my mom would buy for groceries that week. I didn't have to do it but it was a good way to get to eat what I wanted and I love to cook. My mom hated cooking so she decided I could cook and she would do the dishes. Worked out well for both of us.

I was also never given an allowance. I was part of the family, made messes and was expected to help clean up. I earned money by helping above and beyond my chores (like raking the yard without being asked) and working for my grandmother.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seirith For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 05:47 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
When I was young I was always expected to do chores, probably starting as soon as I could walk! I never got allowance but if I wanted money for a treat like ice cream, I could shine my dads shoes It always paid the same as a cone cost at the corner deli! LOL

My children have always had chores, some regular, weekly stuff and others not. DD14 just took over trash duty last month when her brother left for college. She also now has to clean her bathroom all the time but she's not sharing it either.

They both always had to keep their rooms orderly and have laundry ready (not inside out, pockets empty, sorted). DD just started doing her laundry (only bc DH wouldn't let her...ugh).

DS mows the lawn, DD weed whacks or sweeps. DD dusts, DS vacuums. (DH has taken over DS jobs).

I get extras done as punishments. For DD nothing worked, in part bc of her ODD. So now a slammed door gets my countertops cleared and cleaned, talking back gets my baseboards cleaned, etc...

I don't give allowance. They make out better in the long run probably!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 AM

My Mood/Status:
Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I am so glad to see that I'm not alone in my thoughts on chores. I have six children and they all have had 'chores' since they could walk. I too do not believe in an allowance. I do however give my children various ways to earn money so they will learn how it feels and how to manage money. My children are taught that everyone in the household is equally responsible for keeping the house neat. It was not always easy, but now at 3,6, 8,10,13, and 14, they all know the routine. It literally took years to perfect, but a few months ago it really clicked. I normally get up to clear the table and start cleaning the kitchen immediately after dinner, but that night I was chatting with my husband at the table. Without saying a word, we sat in amazement as all of the kids got up and started their routines. One cleared the table while one put the food away. Another started the dishes while the other began to sweep. Another was scraping off the dishes and taking the garbage out. Even the three year old was straightening all of the dining chairs. It was awesome. I do get opposition from time to time, especially from the teens, but it doesn't bother me. My mother taught me absolutely nothing about running a house or responsibility growing up. Luckily I learned this from my dad. I may be hard on my kids, and expect a lot out of them, but it's only because I want to prepare them for their future. As for a chore chart, or a way to track or divide chores, that just wouldn't work for us nor do I find it necessary. We all share all chores, and in time we've discovered who's better fit for certain chores. My 14 year old is more efficient at sweeping, where my 13 year old is better at mopping, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nictehaa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 AM

Thriftstoremommy990 has posted more than 25 good deals
Just off the top of my head my 6, 7 & 8 dd's wash dishes, sweep, mop, tidy their rooms, wipe down walls and cabinets, set the table, put movies in their own VCR/DVD, rake leaves, pet feeding and care, fold laundry and each one of them can make their own after school snack (includes a sandwich, some kind of fruit and a drink).
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 AM

AFC Star Member

simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
My DS 25 and DD 21 had chores from the time they were toddlers. We had charts to help us all remember what to do. For the too young to read stage I made a vertical list of the chores with a picture on the left and the word on the right. There was a clothespin that they moved down the left side after they finished each chore. TV, video games, were always limited and tied to chores. In the beginning allowance was for spending money but later it was for everything. (we taught them the envelope system) We also stressed that the reason they participate in chores is because they are a member of the family and everyone has responsibilities. When they were teens I recall a comment that was heard in our house all the time..."You don't live in a hotel!!"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simba123 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2014, 04:41 AM

Grounded for Life

tiyashrivasthav has posted more than 5 good deals
I have 3 years old Niece. She helps to her mom in everything like bring things(small) from one room to another. When My sister sweeps house, she also starts that.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:42 PM

My Mood/Status:
kimbra923 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
DS has had "chores"since he could walk. He picks up his room every night before bed, helps with cooking, dishes, cleaning floors, bathroom, etc. He actually wants to help, always asks if he can. I'm sure it won't last long but at 5 years old I am grateful for the help even if it isn't perfect!
The Following User Says Thank You to kimbra923 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2014, 07:51 PM

Lift while you climb

My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My little guy is a few months shy of 2 years old and he's starting to learn his "jobs". He won't get any allowance, of course, but is learning that he has to help pick up his toys each night and help to clean up messes as they happen.

He has loved brooms and mops since he could walk and always goes to get them when we go into the laundry room. I cut a dollar store broom and mop handle in half and now he has his own, and every day he uses them to "clean" up. He'll steal baby wipes and use them to wipe off his toys or the wall or whatever strikes his fancy. So he's learning.

It will be a while before he actually has real kitchen chores, but he's already standing on a chair next to me at the kitchen sink "rinsing" the dishes as I wash them. That often leads to several bowls or cups full of water being poured on the floor. Good thing we have lots of towels.

So I'm not sure that he's actually contributing to the house being cleaner, but he's learning early how to do the things he'll need to do when he has to. I expect his jobs later on will be helping to clean up the kitchen, helping with meals that don't require the stove or oven, feeding the dogs and cats, and making sure his toys are put away.

DELTA region for Kroger stores

Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?