What To Do With My Winning Lottery Ticket??

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2005, 07:30 PM
loves free groceries!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
what to do with my winning lottery ticket??

The school district here offers the option of attending magnet schools. The magnet schools are part of the public school system (thus, they are free to attend as it would be to attend your assigned school). They are just 'different' b/c either they focus on a specific academic/subject area (IE: math magnet school, science magnet school, magnet school of performing arts) or they focus on a specific educational phillosophy (IE: Montessori or or or can't remember the others!) You have to apply -- but the process to get in is lottery. Basically all names go in a hat and they pull however many they need to fill the empty spots.

And there is one Pre-K magnet school -- it is a Montessori program.

I looked at it, liked it and submitted an application for Matthew.

We found out yesterday that Matthew 'won' a spot there. Thus, we now have a 'winning lottery ticket' in our hands. This automatically means permanent acceptance into the Montessori magnet school from Pre-K thru 8th grade.

And I have NO clue what I truly want to do. :\

Currently he is at a church school. He is comfortable there. We love the people and the program. He is enrolled for 5 days in the fall. (Their application for the fall program was due months before the magnet school application.) The program is 9am - 1pm, tho he would be there 8am - 1pm. Class size = 16 with a teacher and an aide.

Montessori program = 7:30am - 2:30pm, M-F. The class is a pre-K/K class. (9 preK and 9 K per class) Class size = 18 with a teacher and an aide.

I think my main quandry is I don't know WHAT I want to do re: Kindergarten. I just have too many choices and I like them all! (My choices for K are now the following: local assigned school; Montessori magnet school; homeschooling) I know, I know, I shouldn't complain b/c some ppl have NO choices they like. You see, I am toying with the idea of homeschooling Matthew. If that is truly what I am going to do -- then WHY would I put him thru the transition of a new school and making all new friends when I am NOT going to keep him there for K b/c I am going to homeschool him? On the other hand, I truly like where he is located to go to Kindergarten. Our assigned school is wonderful. So, why cart him across town to the magnet school when our assigned school is great? And if that is the case, then why would I make him go to a new school (Montessori) for Pre-K and then another new school (assigned school) for K? And then on the OTHER hand (yes, I have 3 hands , maybe we will love love Montessori and never want to leave?

My choices:
1. Leave him where he is for pre-K and then either send him to his assigned school or do homeschooling
2. Send him to the Montessori magnet school for pre-K and worry about K in Jan/Feb 2006.

And I know NOBODY can make this decision but me. DH casted his vote for the Montessori magnet school. He didn't look at any other factor except that Matthew would be going to school with kindergarteners. DH thinks Matthew would greatly benefit from that since he's a bright kid. DH thinks having the option within the class to do higher level material would be a good thing for Matthew.

I, on the other hand, keep thinking -- but he is ONLY 4?? Why push academics now? Why can't he play for another year?? And I know I don't like full day kindergarten -- so why do I think full day preK would be good?

OH -- and I am not looking at paying for church school vs free magnet school. Finances are not an issue here. It is my paycheck that pays for the church school and either way I will be working in the fall -- thus there will be $$ to pay for church school.

OK...and to top off all of that: my mother hates/extremely dislikes/is not happy that I am even THINKING about Montessori OR homeschooling. Her exact comment when I told her we 'won the lottery' was, "Oh dear, I was hoping that wouldn't happen. I just don't think that's a good thing." Her reasoning behind not liking Montessori is b/c 'children end up ahead of their peers and can never transition into a typical classroom setting'. And her reasoning behind not liking homeschooling is 'children end up with no social skills'. My town has 1000+ families that homeschool thus a very strong homeschool network thus if I made a tiny effort, my son would still have social outlets.

And, by now, you know I am completely nuts and confused and clueless....

Luckily I have 30 days to make a decision.....

Any thoughts? Advice? Experiences? Drugs??
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 07:49 PM

RE: what to do with my winning lottery ticket??

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!
Have a celexa and a smile!

My two cents - try the Montesori program. If he hates it, he can transition next fall to one of the other options. Skye did really well in the K / Pre-K program we had her in and is now in the G&T program at the public school. She got a good base and was challenged enough to keep her from getting bored. I'm not a big fan of homeschooling. Part of that is I don't have the patience for it and part is because I have seen home schooled kids who didn't grasp basic concepts because the parents either didn't enforce the lessons or did not have the knowledge to teach some of the subjects. Many of the kids were also insulated from life and did have trouble socially. Now aren't you glad you asked?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:06 PM

Grounded for Life

kzrainbow has posted more than 25 good deals
Got no drugs, but I got a two-cents...My DD also won the lottery this year, and will attend a science/technology Magnet school until she goes to HS. From what I understand of it, Montessori schooling is supposed to be wonderful, caring, interactive stuff. Sounds like a great thing for a child (not that I am opposed to homeschooling either, not at the K level). I, for one, am glad to send my DD to a so-called "alternative" school, and could care less than a fig about what anyone thinks of it. These schools seem to offer a curriculum that is much more appropriate for the world our children will be growing into, which for a large part is what school is supposed to be. It is your decision what to do with Matthew, too. If your MIL is unhappy, well, that's a bit of a tough one isn't it? As long as you are concerned about his future and open to changes if he is unhappy, you will know you are doing the right thing no matter how anybody else sees it.
Just my humble opinion, mind you...best of luck and a BIG HUG to you and Matthew, plus an extra one from Vicki for him...hurrah for our lottery winnners

Last edited by kzrainbow; 04-21-2005 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-22-2005, 05:10 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
As a teacher I can't resist!!! :money: Keep the change!

You won the lottery!!! Not only will DS go there but siblings are "grandfathered in" if he still attends when they enter school.

Kids make transitions great! My DD had 3 different teachers her Kinder year (we didn't move ~ they quit!) but she transitioned fine! The less you baby them the quicker they make the transition. I see parents drop kids and the more the parent clings the more the child reacts the same since they are expected to return the feel! As soon as Mom or Dad is gone the kid is just as happy and down to business as can be!

I have had the opportunity to visit several of these schools! They are better education than even private education can buy (in my opinion). That jump start could end him up with way more scholarship money for college than he would have had at a regular public school.

The school I visited most recently had students reading and correcting a paragraph on the board. There were words like vacation and obviously. The kids were correcting the mis-spelled words and incorrect punctuation as they went. They were amazing! At first I expected it to be a 2nd grade classroom since the text was 2nd grade level. But when I saw the size of the kids I knew they had to be younger so I figured 1st ~ KINDER! The benchmark for kinder is to know all letters and spell your name by years end! This school also had a 50 seat violin class in which students get use of the violin for the year. The science projects were amazing. Kids artwork was framed in the halls. The ceiling tiles had kids art on it too. I don't know what the emphasis was at this school but EVERYTHING seemed to be stressed!

If transportation isn't a huge issue ~ definately go for the lottery! Kids his age are sponges!!! That is why Japan starts their kids so early! They are very capable and don't even realize they are learning!

PS~ bank the church school $ towards his college ~ if he makes Harvard or Yale you will still need it!

PSS~ I will spare you all my observations of the homeschooled children when they enter public school. And since I have nieces and nephews that are I have witnessed the social interactions too. Sufice to say ~ we can only shelter our kids so much! I want my kids to get reality in little doses that I can address little by little. 11yr old DS asked me the other day what a condom was (the kids on the bus spotted one on the side of the road and he didn't know what he was looking for). So I could ask him WHY and then explain what it was. Yesterday he wanted to know what suicide ment (cops were patroling for a teen that threatened it). He should be coming to me to ask those things and I'm glad he is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mjloves2shop; 04-22-2005 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:44 AM

loves free groceries!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjloves2teach
If transportation isn't a huge issue ~ definately go for the lottery! Kids his age are sponges!!! That is why Japan starts their kids so early! They are very capable and don't even realize they are learning!
Transportation is not an issue -- they offer bus-ing. However, it is quite convenient for DH to drive him and for me to pick him up. Which will be what we do b/c the bus-ing system for the magnet schools involves a transfer. Much more comfie driving him to/fro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjloves2teach
PSS~ I will spare you all my observations of the homeschooled children when they enter public school. And since I have nieces and nephews that are I have witnessed the social interactions too.
No...DON'T spare my your observations! Do tell how homeschool children are when they enter public school....and the social skills of your neices/nephews. Please....
Old 04-22-2005, 07:19 AM

Gone crazy, be back later

ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!
Lynda - I went to Montessori PK-3, then transitioned to a traditional private school for 4th, a "new-age" school for 5th (don't ask me where my parents came up with that one...), then to regular public schools for the rest.

Go for the Montessori. Transition will NOT be an issue & he'll be leaving his buddies the next year anyway, playdates with them are always an option & he'll make new friends quickly.

Short, but there's my worth!
Old 04-22-2005, 05:25 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
OK~ you asked! Now keep in mind some of my thinking may be JOB SECURITY!

If you take a child that is used to a 1 to 1 ratio and put them in a 9 to 1 ratio (which would be every teachers DREAM) they are not going to get the same amount of attention that they are used to. Imagine if it were 22 to 1!

I know that home-school networks have support groups and meet for activities ~ but my niece (homeschooled K-4th) and 2 nephews (k-2nd and Pre-K) are not the "well rounded" individuals that I want my kids to be.

Homeschooled children are easy to spot when they enter (2nd grade is my experience) public school by:
~inability to take turns or wait in line
~appropriately react to other children (adult-2-child is different than child-2-child interaction).
~often don't know how to loose (if only play w/ parents and they let them win)
~don't know how to work independently (used to someone watching)

There is a child on the next block that is home-schooled and he just doesn't know about appropriate KID behavior is. He teased my DD about her "buck teeth" yet he has a stuttering problem. Then he comes over and wants to play with her. I told him that I wouldn't want to play with him after the way he treated her. He just didn't "get it"! Kids teach other kids those kinds of lessons really quickly.

I went to visit a neighbor and he is riding his bike and tells me they aren't home. As I go to the door he continues to insist that they aren't home. I tell him that I am going to see for myself that I am not going to take the word of a 2nd grader. He just doesn't see that he is a child and that is not the same as being an adult.

Another time I was visiting with a neighbor on the sidewalk and he rides up and just joins the conversation. Now adults don't want things repeated and such. But when we said we were having a private conversation he just stayed.

But since he is with adults all day, every day he sees himself as an equal.

But you said you don't want Matthew growing up too quickly and I'm sure you want him to get plenty of time with kids his age.

My SIL decided to homeschool because my niece was at a 1/2 day play group and someone gave her a toy ring so she would let another girl have the swing she was using. So my niece says "look at the ring my best friend gave me". Not wanting my niece to endure disappointments like that, she opted to home school.

Do you want your kids first big disappointment to be about a stupid plastic ring! Or would you rather a DD that goes off to college, falls in love with the quarterback of the football team and gets her heart broken and maybe even worse!

I would rather my kids deal with little disappointments when the are trivial enough to be forgotten in a nano-second.

I want to protect my kids! But I believe my tag-line. I have a 5th grader that comes to me and asks me questions and tells me why he is asking them. It is something new almost every day. Today it was "why do some kids penis have more skin around it than his". So we discussed circumcissions. I don't think keeping the knowledge from him will protect him. I feel telling him the truth, have an open line of communication and raising him to have good moral values will prepare him for life in the real world. Our kids are going to make mistakes, just like we did. But I am letting him go very little by very little!

I am certified to teach 1-6 and ESOL (non-English kids) ~ I wouldn't consider trying to teach my own kids! They respond better to outsiders. And they love their teachers ~ especially 3rd grade and under! I can teach my kids concepts that they are struggling with in school ~ but it is much harder than when I am in the classroom. I think they listen better to the teacher. When a student tells me they can't do it ~ I can coach them and guide them to the answer then I always ask them "so what did you need my help with?" I want them to see that they had all the tools they needed to get the answer. Some kids learn to do it on their own after 1 or 2 tries. Others it is 10 or 12, but I am always there to listen and gently guide so that they learn they don't really NEED me! When my own kids say "I can't" I get frustrated because I know they can! I can't explain it, but it is different with other kids.

OK~ I know I'm going to get blasted!

Old 04-22-2005, 06:08 PM

My Mood/Status:
skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!
[quote=mjloves2teach] When my own kids say "I can't" I get frustrated because I know they can! I can't explain it, but it is different with other kids.
QUOTE]

I am glad to hear I am not the only one who feels that way! Skye plays dumb for attention and it drives me absolutely nuts.

A lot of parents don't want their kids to be exposed to various ideas and concepts at school. I agree with MJ about having a child come to the parent to ask about things they hear at school and would rather have Skye exposed now when she still talks to me than when she is a teen and only talks to her friends. No, I was not ready when Skye asked me about "S-E-X" and what it was, but I was able to correct the mis-information provided by other kids. Same thing with color and religious differences because our school is so diverse.

Anyway - another nickel 98 from me!

Old 04-22-2005, 08:48 PM

Grounded for Life

kzrainbow has posted more than 25 good deals
Hey save up alla these 2 cents and get a buck off...LOL. OK I gotta add my bit on homeschooling too, but please bear in mind this is the only time I have seen the results and this may be an unusual situation.
From what I have seen of my friend's child who is homeschooled, I have got to agree with MJ, although I cannot say I am opposed to the concept. This boy is really poorly socialised. He is also lacking in many of the qualities such as the ones MJ mentioned...he cannot wait in line, he reacts inappropriately, he cannot share, etc. When she attempted to transition him to public school, he was so out-of-the-loop that he was EXPELLED at the ripe old age of five! This child has no respect for other adults either for that matter. When my DD complained that he was jumping on her while she tried to sleep and I went to check, he spit in my face...literally!
Now I can easily qualify this by saying this may just be the fault of the parents, but I am not so sure anymore.
Add another 2 cents to your stash girl!

Last edited by kzrainbow; 04-22-2005 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typos (again)
Old 04-23-2005, 12:48 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
lah123 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lah123 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lah123 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lah123 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lah123 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lah123 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lah123 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I think it's great! It's too bad we didn't have anything like this when my kids were younger. I don't think it's ever too young for kids to learn-being that they get bored all the time they are at home or at least mine did.
Lah123
Old 04-23-2005, 06:54 AM

HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Okay I was all ready to say OH WOW because I thought Lynda won the lottery LOL Congrads for him though!
Old 04-24-2005, 06:23 PM

loves free groceries!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions......I greatly appreciate it all!

I have gone from completely indecisive to 90% sure we are going to take the spot at Montessori. (Not sure why I am not 100% sure.... maybe just not jumping quickly into this.... give me time, I will be ok! )

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2005, 03:01 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
itsbelong has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!itsbelong has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!itsbelong has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!itsbelong has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!itsbelong has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!itsbelong has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I think he'll just love it there!

~Brigette
Old 06-02-2005, 06:50 PM

loves free groceries!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
AN UPDATE (for anyone interested): We have enrolled M at the Montessori school for the fall. I officially told his church school that he would not be returning in the fall. Bittersweet, but I know it is the best decision. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:23 PM

crazy
Mama G

My Mood/Status:
cashio5smama has posted more than 200 great deals!cashio5smama has posted more than 200 great deals!cashio5smama has posted more than 200 great deals!
OMG that is so great! My children never won a lottery but we have a Montessori preschool in our area and it is wonderful! i can't speak for yours but it is awesome here and they learn so much!!!!!!Good for you! If you get in here your other children automatically are in it is so great!!

Tags
lottery, ticket, winning