Any Gifts "off Limits" For Your Kids This Christmas?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Grounded for Life

rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Any gifts "off limits" for your kids this Christmas?

Have any of you had to set boundaries for your kids as far as gift giving? Do your relatives or friends ask forwish lists for your kids and you preface it with some No no gifts?

I was reading a blog about this topic and there were some interesting comments. Just wondering what you guys thought. The blog was specifically talking about a mother who asked her family for no make up for her 6 year old daughter... not even play make up and apparently her family got mad at her ... be grateful for gifts and all that mess.

I think I probably would do the same thing if I felt strongly about certain things....
Actually one year for my daughter's birthday my MIL was going to buy her a bathing suit and I asked her not to get a two peice, because I wouldn't let my daughter wear it... it's kind of the same thing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rachellynn For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM

RE: Any gifts "off limits" for your kids this Christmas?

Jameev has posted more than 1 good deal
Bratz dolls. I don't like the way they dress!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jameev For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 AM

Grounded for Life

rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameev View Post
Bratz dolls. I don't like the way they dress!
Good point, I hadn't thought of those, but I wouldn't want my kids having those.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:10 AM

daynarehna has posted more than 75 good deals!
I've declared my home a Halo free zone for my sons. I've made it clear that although they want the Halo mega bloks sets, they are not to get them. There are so many great toys out there that I really don't think a small list of items not to buy should be an issue if it's presented early in the season.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daynarehna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Grounded for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynarehna View Post
I've declared my home a Halo free zone for my sons. I've made it clear that although they want the Halo mega bloks sets, they are not to get them. There are so many great toys out there that I really don't think a small list of items not to buy should be an issue if it's presented early in the season.
Ah Halo... That's interesting. My son is only 1 so I haven't had to encounter Halo yet. Good idea.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM

My Mood/Status:
bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Yup no play do or non color wonder paint or markers She is 17 months now so I don't see any issue with those boundaries with family. Though I should probably warn my Dad as he does most of the shopping (he shops online )
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigdogmom187 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Coupons are my BFFs :)

My Mood/Status:
greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Only my older sister gets gifts for my kiddos. Our parents have passed away and my 2 younger sisters could care less about anyone but themselves. The older one though is really good and sends great gifts for the most part. I did have to tell her no more clothes because she can never get the sizes right, or she sends them stuff she finds at yardsales that have way too much wash wear already. I am not picky at all, but its heartbreaking when your 3 year old gets a pair of boots and an $52 outfit that all clearly say 12-18 months on them and she is in a size 3T. My DD was so sad she couldn't wear her new stuff.

Last edited by greenbug728; 11-18-2012 at 10:02 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greenbug728 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 05:34 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Play-doh was always banned, it makes me gag. I made them the homemade stuff. I finally had to stop clothes bc no one came close. Just the other day my mom asked if DS was 5'9 or 5'10. Uh no mom I've told you he's 6'3, hasn't been under 6 foot since middle school (he's a senior).

I also ban gum and anything containing it. Why? People look like cows when they chew gum, I'm hoping for a tad better.

Luckily these past couple years grandpa has stuck to gift cards and grandma sends a check. Works out way better
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 AM

My Mood/Status:
goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!goofysgarage has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
The concept of Monster high dolls is not necessary in my world.... Just a thing ....I would really rather the imagination work on something besided monsters Just old an cranky I guess. Dont understand war games and bang bang shot em ups where you shoot police and pick up ladies of the evening for points I BELIEVE I AM GETTING OLD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goofysgarage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 AM

Grounded for Life

I took the girls to do a little Pre Christmas shopping at Target yesterday. I let them go through the aisles and look at all the toys and I get an idea of what they might want..

Anyways I saw the Monster Dolls. Not my cup of tea for sure and they were scantily clad and their hair and makeupe was awful. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I agree with you.. Is that like a book series or a tv series? Where did they come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofysgarage View Post
The concept of Monster high dolls is not necessary in my world.... Just a thing ....I would really rather the imagination work on something besided monsters Just old an cranky I guess. Dont understand war games and bang bang shot em ups where you shoot police and pick up ladies of the evening for points I BELIEVE I AM GETTING OLD
The Following User Says Thank You to rachellynn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 AM

Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynarehna View Post
I'm curious, why do you have a ban on Halo only?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:59 AM

My Mood/Status:
EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
The only thing I can think of that I would ask family not to get my daughter is toy guns and swords. I don't like the whole fighting for fun thing. Not even really if they're playing as a good cop. I don't know. My kid is only 15 months. Maybe my mind will change when she and future siblings are older?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Gavin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and Adell
Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 AM

kj_quilts has posted more than 200 great deals!kj_quilts has posted more than 200 great deals!kj_quilts has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMunion777 View Post
The only thing I can think of that I would ask family not to get my daughter is toy guns and swords. I don't like the whole fighting for fun thing. Not even really if they're playing as a good cop. I don't know. My kid is only 15 months. Maybe my mind will change when she and future siblings are older?
W have always had the no toy guns rule. DH is in the army, and we have real guns (appropriately locked up and stored separately from ammo) in our home. I wanted my kids to understand that if you shoot someone, they do not get up and keep playing. My kids are now 20 and 22, and we do have a few airsoft guns in the house, but we treat them like guns, not like toys.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kj_quilts For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 AM

Grounded for Life

No one has ever given my children toy guns nor have they asked for them. I'm pretty sure my family wouldn't get that anyways though.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
I'm curious, why do you have a ban on Halo only?
I've specifically banned Halo because it's the only violent and inappropriate thing my seven and eight year olds have become interested in. I'm sure there will be more as they grow older.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 PM

indianadana has posted more than 300 great deals!indianadana has posted more than 300 great deals!indianadana has posted more than 300 great deals!indianadana has posted more than 300 great deals!
Why is everyone so against Play-doh? Am I missing something?
The Following User Says Thank You to indianadana For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 PM

Couponing Mom of Five
couponing mom of five

My Mood/Status:
staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
, indianadana, its God awful to clean up after, ...at least in my experience, it gets everywhere and just when you think you have it all, it will find its way back onto your carpet or tiles (right in between the grout or on their hair or clothes), its just not made for families with little ones because when is anyone running after little ones supposed to find the time to clean it all up. BTW, just my 2 cents worth why it was always a no-no at my house when my kids were little.
The Following User Says Thank You to staviles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 PM

indianadana has posted more than 300 great deals!indianadana has posted more than 300 great deals!indianadana has posted more than 300 great deals!indianadana has posted more than 300 great deals!
Ah. I LOVED it when my kids were little. It was the ONLY thing that my boys would sit still and do for hours. They knew that it wasn't allowed anywhere but the kitchen though. I didn't get real anal about keeping it perfect either. I would just pick up what I could and sweep up the rest. I just always figured that even if I threw it all away and bought more, it was wayyyy cheaper than a sitter. My youngest still plays with it and whenever she gets it out, the three bigger kids play with it too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indianadana For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 12:09 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianadana
Why is everyone so against Play-doh? Am I missing something?
I banned it bc the smell makes me physically ill to this day. Yup, cleaned up all kids of kid and dog stuff but Play doh is my kryptonite!

I made the homemade kind when my kids were little.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 AM

My Mood/Status:
Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynarehna

I've specifically banned Halo because it's the only violent and inappropriate thing my seven and eight year olds have become interested in. I'm sure there will be more as they grow older.
Honestly I think its a good thing you did. Those games are not meant for younger kids. I always figured if you can't go into the store and buy it yourself, then you don't need it.

I was in a store a year or so ago with my boyfriend and a kid who couldn't have been much older then 12 was trying to get his mom to get him the game. The sales person ended up explaining why it had a mature label on it. It's good to be aware. I know times are different but I think that's the right choice.

Last edited by Blueangel1484; 11-19-2012 at 08:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blueangel1484 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 09:51 AM

Happiness is...puppy kisses x2!

My Mood/Status:
StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My kids are older now, and they are the oldest of all the grandkids on both sides. I (laughingly, of course) told all their aunts and uncles when they were little that any obnoxious toy (think: drum set) would be remembered and the favor would be returned when their own children were at just the right age! LOL, makes you think twice about what gift you give!
The Following User Says Thank You to StLouisClipper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisClipper View Post
My kids are older now, and they are the oldest of all the grandkids on both sides. I (laughingly, of course) told all their aunts and uncles when they were little that any obnoxious toy (think: drum set) would be remembered and the favor would be returned when their own children were at just the right age! LOL, makes you think twice about what gift you give!
I am waiting for one cousin to have a second child. She showed up at the hospital while I was in labor with my second, and brought my first a really loud, annoying garbage truck. I heard that thing for four hours while waiting to progress to the point that he and the extended family needed to leave the room. I've warned her that I will do the same for her.
The Following User Says Thank You to daynarehna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 07:07 PM

My Mood/Status:
notrbl2 has posted more than 200 great deals!notrbl2 has posted more than 200 great deals!notrbl2 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I haven't banned family from buying anything, but my children know I will not buy Monster High Dolls, markers or gum. My MIL constantly sends markers and watercolor paints which have ruined our kitchen table. We aren't on good terms, so there is no discussing it with her.
In my house as a child I wasn't allow gum, markers or playdoh.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 PM

My Mood/Status:
Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Interesting topic

I still have a ban on Legos until the baby is old enough not to eat them.

The only other thing I've had to ask is for anyone not to "outdo" Santa. It's actually been a bit of a problem in the past with my dad and my inlaws. They've wanted to get expensive and fancy game systems, kiddie tablets, stuff like that and I've had to say no because Santa wasn't even coming close to that and he is supposed to be the magic one, right? My dad got pretty insistent a couple of years ago so I told him if it's so important to him for them to have the gift, he could donate it to Santa. He relented - it wasn't good if they didn't know it was from him

I'm interested reading some of the other posts, though, to see what I have to look forward to My kids are 6, 4 and 1 right now so still pretty little. My 6yo's list included a deck of cards, candy canes and a drawer he could have all to himself for his "stuff"... No denials there!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM

:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
The only other thing I've had to ask is for anyone not to "outdo" Santa.
I'm having a major issue with this as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sar1 For This Useful Post: