Any Gifts "off Limits" For Your Kids This Christmas?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 AM

RE: Any gifts "off limits" for your kids this Christmas?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynarehna View Post
I've specifically banned Halo because it's the only violent and inappropriate thing my seven and eight year olds have become interested in. I'm sure there will be more as they grow older.

A great idea! I never understood why parents allow young children to play T or M rated games. My husband works at Target and said that yesterday a mother with a young child was in buying him Call of Duty! That game is a ton worse than Halo, it is a true ADULT game and yet she was buying for a children under 10! Crazy!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 04:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
We haven't really told anyone that anything is banned but my DS (6) knows that he isn't likely to get any of the video games he's asking for. I've explained to him that I think he spends too much time in front of screens (TV and Computer) already and that I won't get him a gift that I'm not going to let him use. He is allowed to play the games on PBSkids.org and once in a while we let him play Plants vs Zombies, Bejeweled or WoW with his Daddy. I think at 6 that's more than enough.
I was one of the "NO GUN TOYS" mamas until he was 5 and began begging for Nerf guns. We still have a "No guns that look real" rule. We love toy swords though!
With DD (3) I've asked that people hold off on giving her Barbies for a few more years. Right now she's happy with baby dolls and I see no need to rush her into "big girl" toys.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:22 PM

My Mood/Status:
Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I know its an old thread, but Christmas is creeping up again. I cannot believe the inappropriate crap that's out there for kids! I feel old just saying that .

My family has never really been inappropriate with toys- the only thing is my MIL buys too many. They moved to Florida shortly after my son was born and sent crazy amounts of gifts. Then they moved back & everytime they took my son somewhere, they bought him something. Not just a toy car or something- movies, a racetrack, a bike...etc. She also yard sales and buys him clothes, toys and anything else a boy would like. I don't really know how to approach it, so I politely just say those things live at their house. We have a small place, and his room at their house is bigger than his room at home, so it makes sense for now.

My sister buys him things that are useful- a camping chair, a ball, a bird yard decoration . My mom usually gives me cash to pick out for him. Great aunts send cars & collectible money. So my family is reasonable.

I think now that he's getting older, I might suggest giving him an experience (a trip to a museum, etc) instead of a gift. I want to appreciate life, not get caught up on things.

My house is also a no gum, violence, and sets that contain 500 zillion small pieces. i generally don't give him technology too much either-(phone, kindle, computer). Go outside LOL. Sorry for the long post.

Mama to outgoing 5 y.o. DS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Never let the fear of striking out hold you back"

Old 09-09-2013, 04:42 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree with you on the "experience" gifts, he will remember those far more than some toy.

He's lucky though, to have so much family who cares about him. Our kids basically have just us. My mom will send them $10 at their birthday and $20 at Christmas, but that's it.

We also have rules - gum has always been and will forever be a banned substance! Anything with 100 parts that isn't a puzzle, anything loud that isn't an instrument... It's worked out pretty well. DD is 14, no phone, no FB, no Twitter, she doesn't have her own computer. Research for school is done under a parents eye.

Christmas is getting harder and harder :/
Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 AM

My Mood/Status:
Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I have two daughters and we don't "ban" anything but we do talk quite a bit about whether or not it's a good deal, and if it will be played with or just sit in the closet.

For example my oldest is almost 10 and she saw this ad for a new Disney videogame (Disney Infinity)... she was starting to say that she'd really like it for Christmas. Well, we happened to see the display at Target and the starter game alone was $75 bucks. I was so proud of her, she literally was shocked at the price and immediately said, no way that's crazy!!

Thankfully neither one of my kids is much into gaming and I'd kind of like to keep it that way. I'm also thankful that I probably won't have to deal with the violent games aimed at boys/young men.

ps we love gum in our house I'm surprised to see it banned by so many!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:00 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
For me gun is just a personal thing. I can't STAND people who snap it, but most people look like cows chewing it. No one needs to see that much of your dental work! LOL
Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 PM

amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I cant really say anything is off limits... but my kids are young. Things we will try and get (not all!!)

DD age 7 will be 8 (lalaloopsy, make up, clothes, earrings, jewlery and dress up)

DS age 5 Mario DS game the new one, dress up, anything Mario.

DS age 2 Anything Little Bear, Mickey Mouse or Melmo (Elmo), dress up

Imaginext Spongebob sets for both boys to share.

Mario WII game for the older two to share

New bento boxes for all three

Again these are just ideas they wont be getting all this... I just cant think of anything banned as they arent old enough to ask for anything unreasonable. The above mentioned is stuff they have shown interest in and said they wanted.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM

My Mood/Status:
Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessoflubbock View Post
For me gun is just a personal thing. I can't STAND people who snap it, but most people look like cows chewing it. No one needs to see that much of your dental work! LOL
Ohhh boy you'd hate being around my mother in law then... she constantly snaps her gum and it drives me nuts. And chews with her mouth open. She also takes it out of her mouth at mealtimes and saves it on the edge of her plate until she's done eating, then back in it goes. (having too much fun with the smileys but you get the idea LOL)

I do have a strict policy around gum with my kids... if I see it and/or hear it, it goes in the garbage. I've only had to enforce that once
Old 09-10-2013, 10:12 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
That's disgusting!! Her meal invitations would dry up from me.

My feeling is only your dentist and the guy doing your autopsy needs that much info on your teeth!
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2013, 02:32 AM

Team Free Will!!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
No electronics for my DD, 12. I bought her an iPod last year and she already has a basic cell phone (she walks home from school and I feel safer with her having one) and a laptop. So this year I told her to think of non electronic things since I refuse to let anyone buy them for her. She told me she wants a "real" (i.e. professional not Crayola) art supplies with an art easel and canvases. She loves to draw and paint so this is classic for her. I found a nice looking easel for $199.99 at Michael's once it goes on sale it's mine !

I also bought her tons of arts and crafts stuff on clearance I think she'd like. I want her to still be creative at 12 then to play mindless video games!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
work, couponing, housework, and my sweet girl
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aradia_Silvermoon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2013, 05:14 AM

chikchik92 has posted more than 5 good deals
Our son is almost 4 months old and we've already let some of our families know that we don't want him having electronic toys. We want him to learn to enjoy the simple things instead so we just don't want him having the electronics not even baby toys otherwise we think he might learn to need all the bells and whistles to have fun. Instead when people ask what we need for him we tell them we'd love wooden blocks, old fashioned toys, etc. we don't make a huge deal about it though I don't think. If he is given something we don't want him to play with we just don't let him
The Following User Says Thank You to chikchik92 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 AM

My Mood/Status:
mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
This year we're just telling people no toys. I'm due for baby in a few weeks and they will be sharing a room so we've already had to pack away most of his stuff, which he didn't play with half of it anyways . The room is already crammed so we're telling everyone that Santa is bringing all the toys he'll need to buy him other stuff like clothes, games, books, or even gift cards because he loves being able to buy his own stuff or order his own food when we go out.

The only person I've ever had a problem with is my mom....go figure leave it to grandma to get stuff you tell her not to . Like last year she said she wanted to get him one of those ride on bouncy horse things. I told her no there's no room in our tiny 2 bedroom 2nd floor house and she got it anyways. Needless to say after being in our dining room for a month or so it's now on the front enclosed porch and he barely used it. She got him one of those folding kids card tables for Christmas the other year and I said no we have the little tykes picnic table already in our living room because there's nowhere outside for him to use it and she got it anyways. It just got packed away with the toy stuff . You'd think she'd learn to listen to me and quit wasting the money .

Want to be a WW/Buddy member? Post in 'Contact Us' for more info and to be considered for the Buddy and/or Welcome Wagon team!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:51 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
adventure1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!adventure1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!adventure1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!adventure1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!adventure1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!adventure1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!adventure1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!adventure1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sar1 View Post
I'm having a major issue with this as well.
My in-laws get a thrill out of this every year. We even tried to have a "talk" with them about it. No luck. Last year they outdid us again with an Ipad for our son who is 8. Now when my kid asks for money to buy apps I tell him to call his gam gam. haha.

, and
The Following User Says Thank You to adventure1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 04:05 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdayday1188
This year we're just telling people no toys. I'm due for baby in a few weeks and they will be sharing a room so we've already had to pack away most of his stuff, which he didn't play with half of it anyways . The room is already crammed so we're telling everyone that Santa is bringing all the toys he'll need to buy him other stuff like clothes, games, books, or even gift cards because he loves being able to buy his own stuff or order his own food when we go out.

The only person I've ever had a problem with is my mom....go figure leave it to grandma to get stuff you tell her not to . Like last year she said she wanted to get him one of those ride on bouncy horse things. I told her no there's no room in our tiny 2 bedroom 2nd floor house and she got it anyways. Needless to say after being in our dining room for a month or so it's now on the front enclosed porch and he barely used it. She got him one of those folding kids card tables for Christmas the other year and I said no we have the little tykes picnic table already in our living room because there's nowhere outside for him to use it and she got it anyways. It just got packed away with the toy stuff . You'd think she'd learn to listen to me and quit wasting the money .
Maybe if mom keeps some stuff at her house? Then it's like a new toy when you visit. My mom did the same thing, we lived in a small townhouse with literally a postage stamp backyard - so she buys him that Cozy Coupe ride on toy for Christmas! It never left her house. She had a big yard and lived on a cul-de-sac, perfect!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:12 PM

catt101 has posted more than 300 great deals!catt101 has posted more than 300 great deals!catt101 has posted more than 300 great deals!catt101 has posted more than 300 great deals!
My brother, in his infinite wisdom, bough DS a drum set when he was 2!!!!
I could have shot him!!! Luckily, DS only played with it occasionally, but on the days he did, oh the noise...
I always hoped he would have kids of his own so I could do the same thing to him, but he never had his own kids and the ones he had through
marriage were older.
I did however teach his stepson how to drive at 14 and spin the tires on my truck! He also *somehow* knows how to dump a clutch too! Not sure how he learned that though!! Hmmmm!! Great kid, but my brother was overprotective and a little harsh with him because he was not a "manly man" like him ( hunt, fish, etc...). This kid was and is a books, video game, school type.
Now he is all grown up and as far as I know he never said a word to my brother!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:17 PM

My Mood/Status:
mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mrsdayday1188 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessoflubbock

Maybe if mom keeps some stuff at her house? Then it's like a new toy when you visit. My mom did the same thing, we lived in a small townhouse with literally a postage stamp backyard - so she buys him that Cozy Coupe ride on toy for Christmas! It never left her house. She had a big yard and lived on a cul-de-sac, perfect!
That would be awesome but we live in a double house and my parents live downstairs lmao. Also makes me laugh about the drum set because mom got him one when he was also 2 and I set it up in the back hallway, that was one gift dr REALLY regretted

Want to be a WW/Buddy member? Post in 'Contact Us' for more info and to be considered for the Buddy and/or Welcome Wagon team!
The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdayday1188 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 07:34 PM

My Mood/Status:
Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
For my little ones, I have been focusing on "usable" presents. My idea is that they will disappear when used.

bath crayons, markers, paints, expensive foams, tabs
bubbles, kites, chaulk
pool toys (these really are 1-2 use items in my house as no one controls their kids at the pool!)
Google Play Cards
fruit pouches
etc.

My son just turned 3 and I usually ask for no toys. Since I coupon so much, I have about 200 toys for various ages in my closet.

I do not allow for a lot of TV, but I do let him play educational apps pretty regularly. I was mixed about this, but he learned how to read and write from doing them. I have a video from a few months ago dialing my cell number on a play phone since he learned it in an app. So I do encourage technology. My dad redid my old smartphone for a present.

I do give a list of sizes and item if they want to buy clothing....my daughter needs a 24 mo.. coat type of thing.