In Shock At The School List

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 06:58 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
In shock at the school list

This is what my DS's kindergarten is requiring him to bring in next week
KINDERGARTEN
Large backpack (no wheels)
1 supply box (8.5 x 5 inches)
2 plastic folders with 2 pockets
6 bottles of Elmer’s school glue with orange top
1 pack of yellow #2 pencils
4 boxes of crayons
3 marble composition notebooks
1 pair of Fiskar blunt tip scissors
1 box of baby wipes
2 boxes of tissues
4 glue sticks
1 old, large t-shirt for art
Ziploc bags:
Boys— 1 box of gallon bags and 1 box of sand-wich bags
Girls—1 box of gallon bags and 1 box of snack bags
1 set of Extra Clothes—Please label and put in a Ziplock bag. (include undergarments and socks ***Please label the above items and bring with you on orientation day***

The friends I have up in New England were all as shocked at the amounts on the list as I was. Are the schools around here (VA) just more strapped for cash than elsewhere?
How does this list stack up against the one you had to fill?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lovage2 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 07:04 AM

RE: In shock at the school list

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!
The only things on your list that seem excessive (at least according to our school system's supply list) are the glue and crayon requirement. We only have 1 of each listed on our supply list...
My sister's school system also requres reams of computer paper, cleaning wipes, and hand sanitizer!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeeclatch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 07:19 AM

mdsmiley has posted more than 300 great deals!mdsmiley has posted more than 300 great deals!mdsmiley has posted more than 300 great deals!mdsmiley has posted more than 300 great deals!
We didn't have to bring anything for kindergarten last year. But this year our first grade list is very similar to yours. My daughter goes to a private school and we are still being asked to provide paper towels, tissue, hand sani, etc... Just goes to show you how cash strapped all schools are these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to mdsmiley For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 AM

My Mood/Status:
nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
What do your taxes pay for?? I'm 34 and my mom didn't have to buy all that stuff--the school provided it! What if you don't send all that in? What are they gonna do to you?? My son is 10 and did not get a "list" in NW PA.
The Following User Says Thank You to nmatson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 07:55 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
judeshoney has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!judeshoney has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!judeshoney has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!judeshoney has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!judeshoney has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!judeshoney has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!judeshoney has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Well, I'm in VA so I have no other reference. But yes, the schools are stretched to the limit.

From my experience, they put the large quantities on there because there will be some kids that have no school supplies at all because the parents don't have the funds or choose to not buy them. The large quantity items on there like crayons, glue, and pencils - the teacher will collect them all and then just hand them out whenever they do an activity where they're needed.

Be prepared because you will never get any of that stuff back if there is extra. Plus you'll get notes throughout the year that "your" child is running out of whatever. The teacher spends his/own money to get supplies that parents don't provide.

It's frustrating, but get yourself a Rubbermaid tote and buy mass amounts of school supplies whenever you see them on sale. It doesn't get any cheaper as your child gets older.

And when it comes to the holidays or end of school year gifts, give your teacher a Staples or Office Max gift card. From what my kids' teachers have told me, they'd prefer a $5 gc to one of those over a mug or body lotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatson View Post
What do your taxes pay for?? I'm 34 and my mom didn't have to buy all that stuff--the school provided it! What if you don't send all that in? What are they gonna do to you?? My son is 10 and did not get a "list" in NW PA.
I have lived in both PA and VA and I can tell you that our taxes are much, much less here than they were there. I used to live in a suburb of Pittsburgh and paid 1% in borough tax in addition to state taxes. Here I pay only personal property tax on my cars ($150 last year) and state taxes.

The real estate taxes are way more expensive in PA too. I have a house that's valued at twice what my brother's is in a suburb of Pittsburgh but his real estate taxes are almost double what mine are.

I'll take my cheaper VA taxes over what I used to pay any day of the week.

Plus, you can't really compare 30 years ago when we were going to school to now. Teacher salaries have come a long way since then. IMO, that's a valuable investment for our kids' education.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to judeshoney For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 08:02 AM

hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Teachers from everything I've heard, generally have to supplement out of their own salaries for classroom supplies, and simply can't afford to do so anymore with the high cost of living. Maybe they used to get classroom $ for supplies but it doesn't go so far anymore. It's like getting your car fixed---either the mechanic charges separately for car parts or they work it into the cost of your bill. Everybody is starting to charge more now. Airlines charge for luggage and meals. Restaurants are charging for substitutions (which seems silly to me b/c it is a substitution not an addition), it's just the way of life. I did love reading how someone pointed out on this board that eventually schools will start putting mops and brooms on the supply list HAHAHA. I know private schools tend to charge more than public--and someone also pointed out in another thread that public schools have to offer instruction at no cost so you may not have to provide these things if you can't. I think for me personally I have been aware of these school supply lists for several years so I have been stocking up when on clearance or cheap (staples ads, buying crayons at .25 a box during pre-school sales.) It got us last year when we had to move 1/2 way thru the school year and I had to give a 2nd batch of school supplies to my son's new teacher (who wanted completely different stuff) 1/2 way thru the school year omg. I paid like $4 for stinking glue sticks and will not make that mistake again ever! Am only getting when free or cheap and stocking up! Just be glad you are getting the items on sale now while they are cheap and not in the middle of the school year!

Last edited by hotmama111; 08-17-2012 at 08:06 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotmama111 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 08:02 AM

Supporting Member

jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Why do the boys need more ziplock bags is what I don't get

Our lists are similar but not with the huge quantities of glue and bags. Sometimes the teacher will ask during open house for people to volunteer to bring additional stuff. One teacher had a tree with a bunch of apples with each apple having something written on it (like zip lock bags) for example and asked parents if they would like to help to take one or more of the apples and send that stuff in.

Just wait till middle school when they need binders - those get expensive!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:08 AM

hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Or wait till college when books are $60-$100 each and you will need to get 10 plus! .
The Following User Says Thank You to hotmama111 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 08:22 AM

One day at a time.

My Mood/Status:
baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My son's k5 list is about the same..and I plan to send in a whole lot of extras..when I told the teacher that I would be happy to volunteer for her, she busted out in a big smile and was so excited..it's like they just don't get the parent support or the school boards for that matter..my friend is a k5 teacher here, and got $60 to provide her class with supplies, that's it!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,wife, and proud mommy to sons, Logan~19, Mason~18, Hunter~13, Holden~7, her forever angel~Parker, and rescue German Shepherd, Ryka
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baybeenurse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 AM

josephluvzme has posted more than 150 good deals!josephluvzme has posted more than 150 good deals!
I feel bad for ALOT of teachers in our area. They have to spend ALOT of money out of their pockets since the school district doesn't give them as much money as they used to. My son is barely going into kindergarten but I feel like if I can help the teacher out with the stuff they are asking and maybe a little more maybe they can focus on teaching our kids instead of stressing about school supplies. My sons preschool class went on 4 field trips & the teacher said we got lucky because that was the last year they will get to go on field trips since the funds are so low! It's crazy how things have changed
The Following User Says Thank You to josephluvzme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 08:56 AM

Who else has SPRING FEVER?!

My Mood/Status:
Ashley621 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley621 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley621 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley621 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley621 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley621 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley621 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley621 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley621 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley621 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley621 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
SIX BOTTLES OF GLUE?! For what?!

Ashley

I do all my mailing on Saturday.

If my post helped you, thank me!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashley621 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 08:56 AM

My Mood/Status:
samshua has posted more than 400 great deals!samshua has posted more than 400 great deals!samshua has posted more than 400 great deals!samshua has posted more than 400 great deals!samshua has posted more than 400 great deals!
I would say the list is pretty normal. I have had to send all of the above - plus paper plates, paper towels, and hand sanitizer.

I am also one that usually sends in extras if I can get them for free. If you watch you can get a lot of the basics for nearly nothing at the beginning of the year and that prevents you from paying way more when your child runs low.
The Following User Says Thank You to samshua For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 09:05 AM

tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
They ask for extras because some parents don't send anything and then the teachers have to buy it with their own money. I send what is required and then dd tells me when she needs more of whatever or a folder needs to be replaced , etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to tagarza For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 09:29 AM

:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
The glue is probably bc for that age they may pour some glue out on a little plate and have the kids use a qtip or paintbrush to spread it on their project rather than have them squeeze it out of the bottle. You go through a lot of glue that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to sar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 AM

My Mood/Status:
foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Facts

Yes, we live in N VA area and most school districts local and national, will most likely ask for "extras" for other kids. We only buy for our kids and do not buy "extras" for other kids. I think that it is the parents/guardians' job to buy for their own.

Don't misunderstand that we don't donate and we do. However, to be "asked" for "extras" on school supply lists is too bold for me. I don't think that your child(ren) should be asked to "share" their school supplies except maybe a pencil if someone else doesn't have one, etc. To ask parents to "pool" their own child's school supplies to me is outrageous and we do not do it. My kids know if they need an item that we will decide if it is needed or just asked for "sharing".

I always have a tote box every year with supplies that I got at "deep discounted" prices. It gets to be too much and expensive to feel like you are being "asked" to donate and supply other kids. I am sorry that teachers feel that they have to "buy" or ask parents to supply "extras"; but we will do what we can.

Foodie (Katie)
The Following User Says Thank You to foodie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 AM

My Mood/Status:
brandilou2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!brandilou2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!brandilou2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!brandilou2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!brandilou2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!brandilou2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!brandilou2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!brandilou2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!brandilou2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!brandilou2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!brandilou2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Six bottles of glue is a lot. Our schools prefer glue sticks and I sent 16 of those.

This list is pretty common to the list for our school. I am surprised they did not specify only Crayola crayons and mead notebooks.
DD 3
and newest DS 2 months old
........and three little fur babies Ocho
Rocky
and Peekaboo
The Following User Says Thank You to brandilou2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 10:20 AM

amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!amyw05 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
My dd (first grade) had a pretty long list and they specified Crayola and a certain type of folders... I could not find these certain folders in the colors they wanted and she told me it was okay because that's why they asked for so much so they'd have extras for that type of situation I also made a big gift basket filled with extras (crayons, glue bottles and sticks, tape, pencils ect) they loved me for it... It helps them out and made me feel good !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyw05 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 AM

My Mood/Status:
samshua has posted more than 400 great deals!samshua has posted more than 400 great deals!samshua has posted more than 400 great deals!samshua has posted more than 400 great deals!samshua has posted more than 400 great deals!
I am with others on this. I don't mind donating extras but I do mind being told I have to send extras because some parents don't bother. I know some parents can't but I also know some parents don't because they know others will. I have worked in these classrooms. I had a student who did not have any supplies. But that same child was dressed VERY nicely and when I asked what they were doing that weekend he was playing with whatever the new video game was. They make choices and don't bother to buy supplies because others will do it for them. THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY! Also, I think that maybe more parents would send the required supplies if that list was reasonable because we were not covering for others. They need to make a required list and then a list of things they could use donations for. That way parents who did not have a lot of money could send the stuff that is most needed for THEIR child.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samshua For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 AM

tjsmith79 has posted more than 75 good deals!
My daughter has another year before she starts but I went ahead and picked up a supply list to stockpile for her. They want 10 glue sticks. She has to have about 2 24 ct crayons and then about 2 8 ct crayons. I don't think any child needs to color that much, but I am not a kindergarten teacher either.
The Following User Says Thank You to tjsmith79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 11:29 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think it's crap.... I'm sorry, but my son is starting kindergarten in a couple of weeks and I got a list too. I have to also bring in wipes and hand sanitizer. The kicker is how they list the name brands that they want! If you want something to help my child with learning - fine - but REALLY - you NEED CRAYOLA and LYSOL?? PLEASE!!! I don't remember my mom sending me with anything when I went to school except a notebook, bookbag, and a writing utensil. We would get a list of what we needed on the first day of school, but it was things you would expect to get - like notebooks and binders, pens, pencils...those types of things. Glue was always provided by the schools. I'm sorry, I will give my child the things he needs. I will also supply the school with extra's because I coupon and I can, but I think people are getting paid too much money or something if our taxes can't pay for these things. If people weren't so damn greedy this world would be a much better place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stefani1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 PM

Spring, spring, spring!

My Mood/Status:
Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefani1
I think it's crap.... I'm sorry, but my son is starting kindergarten in a couple of weeks and I got a list too. I have to also bring in wipes and hand sanitizer. The kicker is how they list the name brands that they want! If you want something to help my child with learning - fine - but REALLY - you NEED CRAYOLA and LYSOL?? PLEASE!!! I don't remember my mom sending me with anything when I went to school except a notebook, bookbag, and a writing utensil. We would get a list of what we needed on the first day of school, but it was things you would expect to get - like notebooks and binders, pens, pencils...those types of things. Glue was always provided by the schools. I'm sorry, I will give my child the things he needs. I will also supply the school with extra's because I coupon and I can, but I think people are getting paid too much money or something if our taxes can't pay for these things. If people weren't so damn greedy this world would be a much better place.
I am a teacher though not a huge fan of requiring brands. It is done for several reasons.

#1. It evens the playing field which, IMO, is not a great life lesson. The playing field is uneven.

#2. It makes giving instructions much easier at the younger levels. Kids can be easily distracted by wording on wrappers or if their green is a different shade from someone else's. We try to meet the needs of all types of learners with things like visual examples and verbal descriptors. It can be very complicated when you have student's with items that don't fit in the descriptor.

A lot of things have made school much more expensive than it used to be including technology that is now nationally required and a must for our students to succeed in the world. We didn't have computers when I was in school. Newer laws require climate control versus when I was in school and we opened windows and turned off lights. Specialized programs are far more abundant with many required needs to be met. You can't yell at a kid to sit down if they have a diagnosis saying they can't control themselves so now you need IePs and such.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. I am saying all this because as your post reads, you called me greedy and blamed me for needing to buy school supplies. I take strong offense to that.
and wife to C, the most caring man in the world

Positive Thoughts

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Quazel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 PM

My Mood/Status:
juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I live in CA, this list is a very common list out here, all the grades are required to bring quite a bit of stuff. Usually over the summer they post these lists on the school website so that you can shop for your bargains early..

I agree though it is a lot of stuff to have to purchase, we had to bring a zipper bag with snacks in case of a earthquake and students were stuck at the school.
The Following User Says Thank You to juneannloves2shop For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 PM

My Mood/Status:
connie1615 has posted more than 50 good deals
Although I agree with assisting the schools and teachers mostly with giving supplies for my child, I honestly dont understand the large amounts they ask for as well. I was given a list for my daughters kindergarten class last year and was asked to have her send in 6 glue sticks, Staples brand glue sticks to be exact. I dont mind it because its only a few dollars, but, I would help out the class and when I saw the amount of glue sticks the teacher had in a huge tub, I was upset. Is there really a need to have that many? I understand the kids use it a lot, but to ask for some many per child is ridiculous.

Just wait til the middle of the year, they are going to ask for more! LOL

I dont mind buying the supplies because I dont think its fair that the teachers pay for anything out of their own pockets. They do enough by helping our children learn, and they put up with a lot from them and the parents as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to connie1615 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Life is good!

2015 YTD Savings: $9370
My Mood/Status:
nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We went to public schools & never had to bring anything. Weren't able to have children so I am so new to all of this info. Thanks for everyone who posted and gave their view, it makes me want to get this stuff on sale and donate it to our local Schools.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nowpoints For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 PM

:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Two years ago I would have said 6 glue sticks sounded like a lot. Until I saw my DDs preschool class in action. My daughter is a glue smoosher. Another was a glue stick eater. Another spread it on herself whenever no one was looking. And that was just one day. One of the things they learn in preschool is how to use it correctly but it took numerous glue sticks, I'm sure, to get there.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sar1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
school supply