How Should I Discipline My 10yr Daughter?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

sfombom has posted more than 1 good deal
How should I discipline my 10yr daughter?

My 10yr daughter as been really acting up lately and I have just been yelling at her to stop but she just keeps on acting up, how should I punish her?
The Following User Says Thank You to sfombom For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 07:03 AM

RE: How should I discipline my 10yr daughter?

: )
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Has there been any changes in events/situations in your lives recently? If there is, talk to her about it; very often kids act ugly to cope with changes around them since they don't have control of situations. If there's no changes happening in your lives, it may be part of her adjustment to upcoming teen years. Instead of thinking about punishment, think of ways on how to communicate with her effectively w/o screaming/yelling all the time; when you scream/yell all the time, you get out of control but if you remind yourself YOU'RE the boss and relay that effectively, she will mind. If she doesn't, then take away privileges from her and see if she starts minding. Do not make empty threats you're not willing to follow through.

Last, but not the least, you need a lot of It's not going to be easy but you'll survive. There are times when I can't handle it, I let DH deal with my kids while I put myself on time-out
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 07:04 AM

My Mood/Status:
LivLeeDavis has posted more than 150 good deals!LivLeeDavis has posted more than 150 good deals!
First of all, don't yell at her.
Talk to her calmly and sternly.
Take away some privelage or game/thing that she enjoys until she's able to act responsibly.
I'd highly recommend buying a parenting book too because there are lot of tips out there for many different situations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LivLeeDavis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 AM

My Mood/Status:
sSsLiZARdSsS has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sSsLiZARdSsS has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sSsLiZARdSsS has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sSsLiZARdSsS has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sSsLiZARdSsS has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sSsLiZARdSsS has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sSsLiZARdSsS has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sSsLiZARdSsS has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sSsLiZARdSsS has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sSsLiZARdSsS has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sSsLiZARdSsS has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I have a DD11 and she has attitude galore! I think it's the age. I don't 'punish' her per se, but she does have consequences for her actions. It's important for me that she understands there are consequences to her actions. That's something that is true for everyone. I explain that everyone has to take responsibility for their actions and that includes accepting the consequences of such actions.

I usually take something away for a certain amount of time like her TV or laptop or MP3 player or all of them depending on the offense. It has to be something she uses a lot - something she'll miss. I once had to cancel her birthday party because of her behavior - that really made her think about what she said and did. She's also had to miss favorite activities at school as those are a privilege and not a right. She then had to understand it was her actions that let the rest of the group down and not a 'punishment'. After she lost those privileges she really toned down her antics.

ETA: I pressed send too fast, !

Good luck and it's tough. Hang in there!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sSsLiZARdSsS For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
For my DD who s now almost 13, I learned a long time ago the game of take away doesn't work. Instead there are certain chores we save for misbehavior. Yardwork, cleaning baseboards, the extras that I don't get to all the time
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessoflubbock View Post
For my DD who s now almost 13, I learned a long time ago the game of take away doesn't work. Instead there are certain chores we save for misbehavior. Yardwork, cleaning baseboards, the extras that I don't get to all the time
this really works trust me i got 2 teen and one soon to be one...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweety33 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 PM

I love vinegar!
Addicted to Coupons!!!

My Mood/Status:
Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Google love and logic. They have some great videos on you tube.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(2)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexdur85 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
If all else fails there's a book called 123Magic which has great ideas, it really helped with ODD issues which is way past disrespect!
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2012, 05:12 PM

My Mood/Status:
momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Yelling at her will not help your problems.It makes them worse.I learned the hard way.I have a 13 &16 yr old dd's and a 11 yr old ds.Talk out your problems, it works.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momabrown3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2012, 09:09 PM

The Beaver Clan

My Mood/Status:
thebeaverclan has posted more than 100 good deals!thebeaverclan has posted more than 100 good deals!
I use consquence sticks and reward sticks. My kids are 13 11 9 7 and 7 let me tell you....they work WONDERS!!! I dont have anything on them that is to harsh but harsh enough that they learn quickly. Good luck!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't give up.....Don't Ever Give up" Jimmy V.
The Following User Says Thank You to thebeaverclan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2014, 07:03 AM

Grounded for Life

tiyashrivasthav has posted more than 5 good deals
Always reward her for good work. It works.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:33 AM

keylimepie has posted more than 75 good deals!
A good long talk has always worked for me when my daughters were growing up. There were some pressures they were dealing with, that I did not have a clue about. So sitting down and just having a good talk worked well for me.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:43 AM

Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I like everyone's advice in this thread. It's can be very hard in the heat of anger to remember that we need to model the behavior we want them to have - which is talking reasonably even when they don't like how things are going, instead of yelling. I think kids pick our behaviors really easily, so when we escalate to yelling, they learn to do the same.

My daughter was great in general, but she had her moments. She lost a few privileges as a result. I made sure they all fell under the clear realm of privileges, not anything that could be interpreted as abuse (HARD labor, going without meals, etc.)

One thing I learned from kids at my school is a lot of them have work arounds to things the parents are pulling. Like going on the computer late at night when they weren't allowed because of punishments. One parent would take away the keyboard, but the kid secretly had a spare one. So if you go that route, think about shutting off the circuit breaker that affects your connection, or taking away the modem.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:34 AM

Grounded for Life

tiyashrivasthav has posted more than 5 good deals
Don't yell at her. It doesn't work. One of the best ways to discipline your child is to reward him for his good behavior. Punishment may be the center of discipline, but you will need to keep your child motivated and encouraged to make sure that he is at his best behavior always, even when you’re not around him.