I'm Starting A Mini-home Business-Please Reply

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2005, 08:04 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Back in the coupon game.

My Mood/Status:
sgress1533 has posted more than 200 great deals!sgress1533 has posted more than 200 great deals!sgress1533 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I'm starting a mini-home business-Please Reply

So, on my spare time, I'm thinking about starting a home based business (small). I know that working for a fundraising company takes a lot of my time, especially since it's my parents, and soon it will be mine. But I really want to start this home based business. So here's what I'm planning. I want to make scrapbooks for people and custom made and hand made blankets. What do you think? So, hypothetically, would you buy a scrapbook or blanket? The scrapbooks would be hand made, nice products, can be both regular and digital pictures. And the blankets would be hand crocheted. Thanks for your responses.

p.s. not many people do this around my area.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 08:09 PM

RE: I'm starting a mini-home business-Please Reply

HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!HollyHobby has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
My mom crochet's blankets in a million different patterns/sizes etc. She has tried to sell them at yard sales for not that much profit after supplies and no one bought them. She made me over a dozen baby blankets when my son was born and I paid her for everyone LOL (she was so mad!)

I am SO NOT creative and think Scrapbooks are awesome and would have one made for my son if the price was right for me. What price is that you ask? I honestly don't know! I guess it depends on the persons work and time put into it. HTH's!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:41 PM

Back in the coupon game.

My Mood/Status:
sgress1533 has posted more than 200 great deals!sgress1533 has posted more than 200 great deals!sgress1533 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I guess the price depends really but I was thinking the only thing the customer has to supply is the pictures and I would price it between $40 and $50. Also I was thinking that for weddings, I would do a package of $99 and that would include me going to the wedding and taking pictures and getting nin-posed shots. What do you think?

Also, my grandma made me about 3 baby blankets for me when I was a baby and I cherish them so much. I don't think this generation appreciates them as much as they should.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:24 AM

militarymom107 has posted more than 100 good deals!militarymom107 has posted more than 100 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgress1533
I guess the price depends really but I was thinking the only thing the customer has to supply is the pictures and I would price it between $40 and $50. Also I was thinking that for weddings, I would do a package of $99 and that would include me going to the wedding and taking pictures and getting nin-posed shots. What do you think?

Also, my grandma made me about 3 baby blankets for me when I was a baby and I cherish them so much. I don't think this generation appreciates them as much as they should.
I don't think that they don't cherish them I simply think ( I have one that was bought for my son and one that my friend did for him as well) hand made blankets mean more to you and the person buying when they are done by someone you know. they carry more meaning.
as for the scrapbook it would really depend on your area.If you live in a high end area that would be a great idia, once again though my mom made one for me and it means the world mostly becuase she is the one who took the time and did it. I think for you as long as you had some samples of your work and were able to get into the right crowd it would work. I would think something like that would have alot of over head though when you think about have to buy the books the paper and other supplys. I know some books are almost 20.00 hear. Is it 40-50 and the $ for supplys?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:35 AM

My Mood/Status:
skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!
The scrapbooks are a wonderful idea, but I guess it would depend on your location and the income bracket in your area. My mother makes quilts and afghans and took some of them to our school carnival in December for the vendor's fair. The afghans were gorgeous full sized ones and she only marked them $20, but they did not sell.
Another thought for you though... can you do custom made baskets or candy? I know the fudge and peanut brittle she made sold out and custom baskets are always big here. Another thing that went over well with the kids were "adoptable animals" - refurbished stuffed animals from GW or the thrift store that were washed (throughly I might add), brushed, and had bows or other items added. She sold out at $2 each and could have sold more if she had had them (she had 12).
Make sure to post flyers in all of the Teacher's Lounges at the schools. I have found some of the coolest stuff listed for sale in the lounges that I would not have found anywhere else.
GOOD LUCK!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:25 AM

Gone crazy, be back later

ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!
Another thought on the scrapbooks - I saw one at a baby shower that was "done" except for the pictures & thought it was a wonderful idea! It had pages for all the major milestones & some random ones in between, it was very cute & easy to use.

Tags
businessplease, minihome, reply, starting