For Those Of You That Homeschool

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
For those of you that homeschool

Lately I been thinking about starting to home school my soon to be 5 year old. What are some pros and cons?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to becky80 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM

RE: For those of you that homeschool

Trying to learn all I can about couponing....

My Mood/Status:
steponme37 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!steponme37 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!steponme37 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!steponme37 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!steponme37 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!steponme37 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!steponme37 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!steponme37 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!steponme37 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I Home Schooled my DD's one from 7th grade and one from 3rd grade. They are both graduated 1 last year and the other 3 years ago. The pros I liked was they didn't have all the peer pressure and "drama" the public school kids have. Cons I will have to think about that one. I personally loved being able to stay home with my DD's and do field trips and you get to decide your days off. Also I taught them how to coupon and just everyday life things. I loved homeschooling them !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD1,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD2,
Abbie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steponme37 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 PM

My Mood/Status:
Jadasmom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jadasmom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jadasmom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jadasmom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jadasmom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jadasmom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jadasmom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jadasmom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jadasmom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jadasmom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Jadasmom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I love home school.

Pros -
Less peer pressure
family becomes closer
less stress on kids about end of the year tests
Child can learn at their own pace

Cons -
You really have to make sure you get your "me" time
lots more paperwork to do

I have graduated one and have one left. Some family members had a hard time understanding home schooling. They are all on board now that DS has graduated and is excelling in MIT school.

Good luck on whatever you decide. I wish I had home schooled from the beginning.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:21 PM

momofsix6789 has posted more than 50 good deals
I have 7 children, Mine started out of necessity, my son had "Issues" and they deemed him unteachable So I brought him home in 1st grade. He has proved them all wrong, He is graduated now (19) and is doing well. My oldest (21) came to home schooling shortly after my son when she hit 6th grade, she finished the 6th grade math in the first month and the school for fear of no child left behind could not let her advance in math, So they were going to make her the teachers helper for the rest of the year during math. That made no sense to her so she came home. She graduated home school. She was a reader, She must have read 4 novels large books a week. She was a sponge. I said when she was 11, you can just move into the library when your move out, hahaha, She is started working at the local public library when she turned 18, which was their youngest person ever and they were skeptical. She excelled and Last January at 20 years old she was given the 2nd in charge of the library, Assistant to the Director of the Library, the youngest in the state as far as they can find!!! My 16 year old, 7 year old twins 4 year old and now 1 year old, have been and will be only home schooled. My 16 year old has struggled since day 1, Not because of home schooling but because she is just very difficult . But she will get there. The 3 oldest preferred to not school with typical books but to learn things that interested them, then with me incorporating the basics and core into those things. My 7 year old twins who both have ADHD and my very spirited 4 year old need structure structure structure, So I am using books with them from the more traditional home schooling, But I have had to tweak it a bit for each one, One twin loves loves loves with a passion to pump out worksheet after worksheet and look at a book. The other twin hates it, and needs everything hands on. So first twin will be doing a workbook page on say writing, And second twin will be doing it on the chalkboard. The reason I am writing all this is so that you can see that they are different, That is the best part of home schooling that the schools just can't do. I can teach them all in the way that best suits them and helps them. I encourage you to do some reading, Online or books from the library. First write down some special qualities about your child, How you see how he learns stuff. Then research the different types of home schoolers. There are unschoolers, charlotte mason, traditional, etc. You might even find that you have to do two different kinds with even just one child. But bottom line is I don't really have any cons, I love it, they love it. We get to look at books and do a lesson on say, firefighters and then we get to go down and talk to the firemen and tour the station that day. How cool is that for any kid. Plus I can teach my kids about our morals and beliefs that they won't get in school. Good luck, Do your research.
Also if you do decide, I bet most can agree with me, Don't run out and buy all the really expensive items that you will find online or in teachers stores. Most things for the first few years of schooling you can find free on the internet or just lying around your house. I have taught all my kids fractions just from learning to cook by doubling or tripling or halving a recipe. Your child is going to learn and retain more information say about animal habitats by going out into your backyard or the park then by doing a worksheet. They will learn more about plant life and structure, by growing a garden or a plant from a seed. My oldest son was interested in nothing but computers, I mean he refused anything else. So we purchased a few broken computers and a box of computer parts from a used store and said ok there ya go. He now fixes computers and does tech work and builds computers at home.
The Following User Says Thank You to momofsix6789 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 PM

mamamadecouture has posted more than 200 great deals!mamamadecouture has posted more than 200 great deals!mamamadecouture has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsix6789
I have 7 children, Mine started out of necessity, my son had "Issues" and they deemed him unteachable So I brought him home in 1st grade. He has proved them all wrong, He is graduated now (19) and is doing well. My oldest (21) came to home schooling shortly after my son when she hit 6th grade, she finished the 6th grade math in the first month and the school for fear of no child left behind could not let her advance in math, So they were going to make her the teachers helper for the rest of the year during math. That made no sense to her so she came home. She graduated home school. She was a reader, She must have read 4 novels large books a week. She was a sponge. I said when she was 11, you can just move into the library when your move out, hahaha, She is started working at the local public library when she turned 18, which was their youngest person ever and they were skeptical. She excelled and Last January at 20 years old she was given the 2nd in charge of the library, Assistant to the Director of the Library, the youngest in the state as far as they can find!!! My 16 year old, 7 year old twins 4 year old and now 1 year old, have been and will be only home schooled. My 16 year old has struggled since day 1, Not because of home schooling but because she is just very difficult . But she will get there. The 3 oldest preferred to not school with typical books but to learn things that interested them, then with me incorporating the basics and core into those things. My 7 year old twins who both have ADHD and my very spirited 4 year old need structure structure structure, So I am using books with them from the more traditional home schooling, But I have had to tweak it a bit for each one, One twin loves loves loves with a passion to pump out worksheet after worksheet and look at a book. The other twin hates it, and needs everything hands on. So first twin will be doing a workbook page on say writing, And second twin will be doing it on the chalkboard. The reason I am writing all this is so that you can see that they are different, That is the best part of home schooling that the schools just can't do. I can teach them all in the way that best suits them and helps them. I encourage you to do some reading, Online or books from the library. First write down some special qualities about your child, How you see how he learns stuff. Then research the different types of home schoolers. There are unschoolers, charlotte mason, traditional, etc. You might even find that you have to do two different kinds with even just one child. But bottom line is I don't really have any cons, I love it, they love it. We get to look at books and do a lesson on say, firefighters and then we get to go down and talk to the firemen and tour the station that day. How cool is that for any kid. Plus I can teach my kids about our morals and beliefs that they won't get in school. Good luck, Do your research.
Also if you do decide, I bet most can agree with me, Don't run out and buy all the really expensive items that you will find online or in teachers stores. Most things for the first few years of schooling you can find free on the internet or just lying around your house. I have taught all my kids fractions just from learning to cook by doubling or tripling or halving a recipe. Your child is going to learn and retain more information say about animal habitats by going out into your backyard or the park then by doing a worksheet. They will learn more about plant life and structure, by growing a garden or a plant from a seed. My oldest son was interested in nothing but computers, I mean he refused anything else. So we purchased a few broken computers and a box of computer parts from a used store and said ok there ya go. He now fixes computers and does tech work and builds computers at home.
SUPER helpful!!! I am considering home school for my dd's... And ur post made some great points
The Following User Says Thank You to mamamadecouture For This Useful Post: