Do You Give Your Kid(s) Allowance?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 01:16 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
beckybac has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!beckybac has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!beckybac has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!beckybac has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!beckybac has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!beckybac has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!beckybac has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!beckybac has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!beckybac has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!beckybac has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!beckybac has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Question Do you give your kid(s) allowance?

What are their ages and how did you decide how much to give .

Also what are your kid(s) expected to use their allowance on ,for example....going to the movies, buying treats,clothing,etc.

Do you give them opportunities to earn extra cash?
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 01:27 PM

RE: Do you give your kid(s) allowance?

Loving my baaaaabies
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have four kids. My oldest is 6 and he earns allowance. Not a lot but it adds up quick. He's expected to save it for now since I buy everything for him. He gets two pennies each time he sweeps, 50cents each time he cleans his sisters room, does his for free of course.. Depends on what chore for how much he'll earn but he enjoys it!
The Following User Says Thank You to LuvMyCuddleBugs For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 PM

bgsaves has posted more than 150 good deals!bgsaves has posted more than 150 good deals!
When i was younger I never got allowance and now my little brother and sister dont either. You do chores because your part of a household. However once every 3 months or so my brother (14) can clean the entire basement for $50 or a new video game. Its just a huge storage area that gets dirty easily.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:58 PM

ballardb has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ballardb has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ballardb has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ballardb has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ballardb has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ballardb has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ballardb has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
My sisters and I did not get allowance but we were allowed to do extra chores for money. We had things that we were required to do every week but once we finished those we could make money. Vacuum, dust, mop, etc for extra money.
Also if we wanted to buy something special (and more expensive) then we could take on bigger projects. For example, we had a barn and once I cleaned and organized the tack room for $20. Clean out the stalls for $10. Of course everyone doesn't have a barn but take your house/yard and find the chores that need to be done. Mow the grass, paint the shutters, rake the leaves, whatever
They wanted us to learn that we had to do our normal chores but that if we did extra work and worked hard that we could earn money.
The Following User Says Thank You to ballardb For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 02:05 PM

Bellavan has posted more than 1 good deal
I give my (3) kids a list and $1 a day for completing it. They always forget their money at home so it's always in savings. I think they earn about $30 month and in the last 6 months they've spent maybe $10 (and it was on me for xmas-so sweet). I am going to go open them a bank account so they can learn about how that stuff works.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bellavan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 02:28 PM

keep on smyelin!

My Mood/Status:
bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My 11 and 13 year old get $10/week each. They do have to earn the money by helping around the house. It is absolutely worth it for me and they can buy the things they want but don't necessarily need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to bette For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 02:36 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I've never given any of my kids an allowance. They've all been encouraged to come up with ways to make money, and they have. My older two did a lot of lawn mowing, weeding, snow shoveling in our neighborhood.

Regular chores are just part of being in the house. However big jobs, like overhauling the garage with us, earns a trip to Best Buy or wherever for a "want".

I've been couponing for 30+ years. I can't imagine ever shopping without them
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 PM

qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
We give our kids their age in allowance per week. They are expected to save some, give some away and can spend some. My oldest is almost 12 and has been earning money helping my friends' mom that has cancer, helping a neighbor weed, and some mother's helper/babysitting.
My girls are 10 and 11 and allowance is not about getting them to do work, but it's a financial management tool. They do chores and keep their rooms neat, do their own laundry since they were 6, scoop kitty litter every night, feed cat, vacuum the house, etc.
I believe it's important for kids to have some money that they can decide how to spend. It's valuable to learn how to manage a little, so some day they will know how to manage more.
I do a lot of couponing, and they do too. Last night I called my 10 yr old from the store because I saw the thing there that she wanted to buy for her sister. I asked her if she wanted me to get it for her. She said, "Go have them scan it and see if it's marked down, then call me back." I called her back and let her know the price and then she decided.
The Following User Says Thank You to qrazy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2012, 12:52 AM

ElementalUnity has posted more than 150 good deals!ElementalUnity has posted more than 150 good deals!
My wife and I share equal custody with my step daughter's biological father. So in a 14 day span we have her 7 days. If she picks up her toys every night she gets a quarter. If she picks every night for those days, I bump her $1.75 up to $5 for those two weeks. And if she saves her $10 dollars without spending any, she gets it doubled. So in a given month she can make $20. By the way she just turned four
The Following User Says Thank You to ElementalUnity For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2012, 03:08 AM

crazykiz has posted more than 400 great deals!crazykiz has posted more than 400 great deals!crazykiz has posted more than 400 great deals!crazykiz has posted more than 400 great deals!crazykiz has posted more than 400 great deals!
My daughter is 14. I give her $5 a week she washes dishes, takes out trash, cleans coffee table and once a week she cleans both bathroom sinks and mirrors. Cleans her room and does her own laundry for free. The money she earns is to pay for her cell phone.

Sent from my iPod touch using AFullCup
The Following User Says Thank You to crazykiz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 05:03 PM

froggibabey has posted more than 1 good deal
My 4 and 6 year olds get allowance for completing items on their chore charts. There's 7 chores, 7 days a week. For each smiley face they get $.25, If both get all 49 in a week, they can go to Chuck. E cheese or to the movies instead of the cash.

Lilys chores are obviously much smaller (Get hair brushed every day with no whining, feed the animals, put clothes in laundry, brush teeth, etc).

Ellys are a bit bigger, empty the dishwasher, sweep up under the gerbils, put their folded laundry away. She's mad that she doesn't get brush hair/teeth, or do homework, but they're expected :P

They use their allowance to buy toys, Christmas presents for other people, for their Church plate, to buy diapers/juice for their Baby Alive, etc.