Baby-led Solids Ideas And Tips Thread

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM
:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'd love to hear from other parents who are interested in baby-led solids. My baby (my second) is doing some "real" solids and some puréed baby food. She's 7 1/2 months. I'd love to hear from other parents who've done this, are currently doing this, or those who plan to. It would be great to share ideas, successes, recipes.

Last edited by sar1; 12-19-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 09:52 AM

RE: Baby-led Solids ideas and tips thread

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I could go on and on but I will just post little things as I think of them.

Definitely read Baby-Led Weaning by Gil Rapley. My library had it when I was looking. It is just really a great way to get your mind around the issues and get comfortable with the questions you may have and the questions others will have since you are going against the grain.

STICK SHAPES - we started DD around 6.5 months and cut everything into stick shapes that could be cut that way. She was able to pick them up to experiment and the choking issues are minimized.

Relax and give your baby whatever you are eating! The only things you need to worry about are allergens (but really only if you have family history, we didn't avoid anything since we don't have them in the family), honey (until 1) and excess salt and added sugar. Other than that, go for it! My DD even likes most spicy foods, within reason .
Old 12-19-2011, 11:18 AM

MOMMY MODE

My Mood/Status:
missewelch has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missewelch has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missewelch has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missewelch has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missewelch has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missewelch has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missewelch has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missewelch has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missewelch has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missewelch has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
My baby will be 5 months Jan 1st. He is a big eater and I am BFing so to supplement I started giving rice cereal and trying diff purees to make sure he isn't allergic. One a week. However, at 6 months we will be giving him what we are eating. I read about BLW in parents magazine. I love the idea. We have given my son Apple wedges and teething biscuits to suck on but I'm waiting on doing too Much til 6 months because that is recommended on everything I read on it. I know giving him purees isn't part of the BLW idea but I'm just doing it to hold him over to the 6 mo mark. Any suggestions?
The Following User Says Thank You to missewelch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2011, 11:30 AM

My Mood/Status:
time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by missewelch View Post
My baby will be 5 months Jan 1st. He is a big eater and I am BFing so to supplement I started giving rice cereal and trying diff purees to make sure he isn't allergic. One a week. However, at 6 months we will be giving him what we are eating. I read about BLW in parents magazine. I love the idea. We have given my son Apple wedges and teething biscuits to suck on but I'm waiting on doing too Much til 6 months because that is recommended on everything I read on it. I know giving him purees isn't part of the BLW idea but I'm just doing it to hold him over to the 6 mo mark. Any suggestions?
I agree waiting until 6 months for self-feeding is the way to go. I can't speak to the puree thing, but just make sure you always BF before you offer any of the other food because rice cereal and purees might make your LO feel temporarily satisfied but they have very little nutrition compared to BM/formula.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 PM

:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks for your input on this, Trish!

DD is getting to the point where she's refusing purees sometimes, especially if she sees me eating at the same time. She doesn't have any teeth and does not have a good enough pincer grasp to put small pieces into her mouth. When I can, I give her stick size foods. Like a raw green bean, chunks of avocado, biter biscuits made from whole wheat bread. I just can't think of many options for where she is right now. I did give her tiny pieces of bread tonight but she can't get them into her mouth herself. I think she'd choke if she held a big piece and tore off a chunk into her mouth b/c she's not very good at mashing things up yet. Any ideas for other foods she could safely gnaw on? Apple wedges were so-so. She did break off a chunk the perfect size for choking her last week and it was scary. Enough that DH asked me to consider not doing this anymore. Same thing happened when I gave her the shell of a snap pea (the choking-size pea inside removed). Both things she loved gnawing and sucking on though.

The other thing is that since she's really only gnawing on these things and not really eating or swallowing much she's not taking in a lot of calories from eating this way. She is in the 50th percentile and the Dr's not worried about her weight or anything but she had been taking a 7 oz bottle in the middle of the night until very recently and it only tapered off b/c we were doing everything to get more calories into her during the day. Adding a scoop of formula to her oatmeal, add oatmeal to the thinner purees (she likes them better that way anyway), bottle feeding more often during the day even if she's not acting like she needs one. Anyway, so I've been using real foods sort of as a snack after she's had her baby food. If she gets real food first she refuses the baby food entirely. I want her to do more real foods and definitely want to take advantage of this stage where she is eager to try anything. I just can't think of more good options, or ones that she can really eat enough of to count as calories.

Yeah, that was a book. Sorry! I feel like I spend a lot of time thinking about this.
The Following User Says Thank You to sar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 AM

My Mood/Status:
My first reaction to reading your post is that you are overthinking it. Have you read the book? I really think it should help you get comfortable with some of the hesitation you are having. I think that BLS should be LESS stressful than traditional spoon-feeding. It takes away the stress of worrying about finishing jars, getting baby to open up, not eating your own food, eating separately, etc. I think it is really important that both parents be on board with the mentality because otherwise it just doesn't work.

It is true that food before one is just for fun! So don't worry about how much she is eating, trust me. Just make sure you give her bottles at the usual times and before she eats solid food so she is not starving and frustrated at the table.

I also think the book helps you not worry about choking. It is good for her to learn about chewing and not choking! Just keep your eyes on her but try to relax. My DD coughed and spit things out now and then, but we never had to even pat her on the back, she just worked it out herself, which I think really taught her how to deal with food of all shapes and sizes. As long as the piece starts out big enough, she is in control and you can let her experiment.

As far as food suggestions, here are some things we liked in the early days:

roasted carrots - cut into half or quarters before roasting, the finished consistency is perfect and DD loves them bc they are sweet
Avocados - thick slices cut in half long ways
bananas - cut in half then into sticks
oranges
apple slices
french toast sticks - these were a huge favorite and the perfect texture, I also put cream cheese on sometimes for extra calories when she really cut back her nursing
quesadilla strips
grilled cheese
rotini pasta with whatever sauce you like (sometimes we had a different shape that was hard for her so we always had rotini on hand)
mac and cheese
cheese sticks or slices
roasted potato wedges
tomato wedges
strawberries - quartered
prunes - quartered
meatballs, meatloaf, etc.
roasted chicken or chicken otherwise cooked so that it is really tender and juicy
fish cakes

I will keep adding as I remember her fa