6 Month Old Getting Up 2 Times A Night!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 07:15 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
momomimiandhan has posted more than 75 good deals!
6 month old getting up 2 times a night!

I am getting frustrated and tired. My 6 month old is still getting up 2 times a night to eat. he was sleeping through the night at 3 months old so that was wonderful. I don't know if it is his teeth that are bothering him or what the problem is.
So some things I have tried:
Fed him more oatmeal at supper
Fed him meat at supper
Made sure he was plenty warm so he wasn't waking up because he was cold
Patted his bottom to get him back to sleep (this did work once or twice) but otherwise he just keeps crying.
Given him tylenol.
Given him teething tablets/oragel

He eats a bottle around 7:30/8 and then he's been getting up at 11/12 ish and then 4/5 to eat again. He eats a 6 oz. bottle each time.
I've just don't know what else to do. It isn't too bad because I don't work till 11 now. But next semester I will be teaching full time and I can't handle doing that when he's sleeping like that.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 07:33 AM

RE: 6 month old getting up 2 times a night!

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be...

My Mood/Status:
BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
My daughter's baby did the same thing. They finally just had to let him cry it out. DD (or her DH) went in after 10 minutes of crying, patted and reassured without getting him out of the crib. They just quietly said "Time to sleep now" but nothing else. The same routine again after another 15 minutes of crying. You have to experiment with the child to see if going in and reassuring makes the baby better or worse.

The first night is excruciating for the parents. But the baby learned to get himself back to sleep without being taken out of the crib, fed, etc. After a couple of nights, he was sleeping 12 hours straight - much happier in the daytime, as well.

By contrast, I know another baby whose parents took him out of the crib and into their bed every night and let him nurse and sleep on Mommy. That child didn't sleep on his own until he was almost 3 years old. The older he got, the worse it was. They even tried the "cry it out," after about a year, but he was so accustomed to being soothed and fed that he became overwrought with crying. If you're going to help him self-soothe, start now, don't wait until he's older.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.