New SAHM

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 03:27 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

ghamman has posted more than 150 good deals!ghamman has posted more than 150 good deals!
new SAHM

Hello everyone. I am just starting to stay at home with my 3 1/2 year old son. I have been a teacher for 10 years at high school and upper elementary school. I need help... I have no clue what I'm doing. Starting next week he will be going to a daycare/preschool for 2 days a week since I teach a class those afternoons and am going to night school those two nights. During these days I'm hoping to get things done at home and get my school work done. But what do I do on the other three days of the week. Since I'm not working money is tight on taking him places. Any advice would be helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghamman For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 03:38 PM

RE: new SAHM

My Mood/Status:
mefreire89 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mefreire89 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mefreire89 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mefreire89 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mefreire89 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mefreire89 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Try meetup.com, I joined a play group and there are a lot of times when they have picnics in the park & fun little free activities
Old 09-13-2011, 03:44 PM

COUPON EASTWOOD

My Mood/Status:
mrscrystal23 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mrscrystal23 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mrscrystal23 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mrscrystal23 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mrscrystal23 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mrscrystal23 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
go to the website of the city that you are in . I live in chicago and on the city website they have lots of free things going on like on wednesday the children museum has free admission and sometimes the shedd aquarium has free admission .. Hope this helps
If I let someone rob me of my kind heart and my eagerness to help people then I have let that person steal my identity , Because those are the things that make me special . Those are the thing that make me who I am .
Old 09-13-2011, 03:45 PM

Missing my Sugar Girl. RIP 12/29/13

My Mood/Status:
momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Also check themommiesnetwork.org, you can check to see if they have a group in your area. The one here is great, they have playdates all the time and plan activities that are cheap.

And you will find stuff to do, do stuff you've been meaning to do forever and just havent had the time.

Good Luck!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:49 PM

COUPON EASTWOOD

My Mood/Status:
mrscrystal23 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mrscrystal23 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mrscrystal23 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mrscrystal23 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mrscrystal23 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mrscrystal23 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
also check the park districts website There is always something going on at the park district (usually free )
If I let someone rob me of my kind heart and my eagerness to help people then I have let that person steal my identity , Because those are the things that make me special . Those are the thing that make me who I am .
Old 09-15-2011, 06:59 AM

Climb the stairs of life and never look back.....

My Mood/Status:
marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I would check out your local library for storytime, that is fun and he can socialize with other kids and prob do arts & crafts, our library also has passes for free or discounted prices for museums, zoo's, local area's of interests, like corn mazes or parks that cater to children, this has saved us tons and kept boredom at bay during the summer. Also I would check your local nursing homes, when I worked as a nursing assistant, we had kids come in with their parents and deliver mail or just to visit with the elderly (which is great b/c it teaches kids to not be afraid of the elderly). They love visits and can read or play a board game like candyland etc. with the child, with mom or dad present of course and they love trick or treater's around halloween. You can always call a nursing home and speak with the head of the activities department. Look into your local community paper, it usually posts events like music concerts or festivals that are little to no cost or mommy groups. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." Clive James
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife to Tony
and mom of DS 7 yrs
and 2 yr old DS
"If the TRUTH makes you uncomfortable, you may want to ask yourself why this is so?"

Last edited by marnimae; 09-15-2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-15-2011, 07:02 AM

:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Use the other parents at the preschool and the teachers as a resource also. They should have some ideas for you.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:06 AM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
see if there is a Mops group in your area - Mothers of Preschool Students.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 PM

My Mood/Status:
BudgetingBetty has posted more than 25 good deals
I second meetup.com to find a play group. Also, playgrounds are free and your library is a great resource. Try to borrow "The Preschooler's Busy Book" through inter-library loan if your library doesn't carry it. The library museum passes are great, too. If you teach classes (work) in a different town than you live, you can join that town's library for free, too. Lastly, you won't have as much free time as you think you will b/c you're now taking on the daytime childcare job that you outsourced before. You could also try getting your older child into things that will help you get stuff done, while the baby sleeps. Things like gardening, for example, can save you money and give your child a great experience.