Help!! Babies Won't Eat Cereal!!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

jameskl78 has posted more than 400 great deals!jameskl78 has posted more than 400 great deals!jameskl78 has posted more than 400 great deals!jameskl78 has posted more than 400 great deals!jameskl78 has posted more than 400 great deals!
Update Help!! Babies won't eat cereal!!

So at my twinkies last appt. The doc prescribed vitamins but not w/iron. She said it was best for them to get it from cereal...Well my DH has been sneaking the babies table food (according to my 12 yo DD and 11yo DS) and now it is almost impossible for me to get them to eat baby food except some fruits and cereal (any flavor) is out of the question. I tried mixing it in the fruits but they still wouldn't eat it. I thought it was because they saw me doing it LMBO ..so I started mixing the cereal in when they were asleep that way it could be better blended as well. Still they wont eat it ..neither one of them. They take one bite and then turn away.. So now I'm concerned that they wont get enough of their daily Iron intake..Any suggestions???

UPDATE Ok ....so it has been almost 3months and the babies are almost 11 months ..they have had 2 doctor's appts since my last post. After this post we decided to try them on table food and not force anything they didn't want (incl. cereal) I ended up taking them of their vitamins because they couldn't hold it down...and with all the changes the baies were FINE..actually Excellent..thier iron,hemaglobin and other levels were Grrrrreat..so it seems I was worried for NO reason..the doc says to keep up the good work..They haven't been sick much at all..UNTIL now due to the infamous Flu shot..so TYSM for all ur input

Last edited by jameskl78; 11-06-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 10:02 AM

RE: Help!! Babies won't eat cereal!!

HelloHolly has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!HelloHolly has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!HelloHolly has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!HelloHolly has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!HelloHolly has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!HelloHolly has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!HelloHolly has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
How old are your babies? My daughter
Never ate baby cereal or baby food. She went straight to table food and
No issues with iron deficiency. She is 11 months now and has been doing great!
The Following User Says Thank You to HelloHolly For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Hopefull 2012 will be a Great Year!

My Mood/Status:
Runningincirclesx3 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Runningincirclesx3 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Runningincirclesx3 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Runningincirclesx3 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Runningincirclesx3 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Runningincirclesx3 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
How old are they and are they bottle fed or breast fed?

my 2 out of 3 of my kids were breast fed and one was bottle fed and non of them had baby food at all just table food and non had problems with iron deficiency.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 AM

Missing my Sugar Girl. RIP 12/29/13

My Mood/Status:
momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree that they dont have to eat baby food. Research Baby Led Weaning
Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 AM

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Will they eat cheerios or other cereal like that? Do they like table food that is high in iron? I wouldn't be concerned with the cereal issue, it may be a texture thing right now. Don't force the issue and try again in a couple of weeks. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I am so far behind I think I'm First!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Susuz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 AM

Harri4sl has posted more than 150 good deals!Harri4sl has posted more than 150 good deals!
My DD had some serious texture issues and we had a hard time going from formula to any solid foods. I would suggest trying to mix the cereal thicker or thinner, and getting creative by throwing in some yogurt our something mixable that the kids will eat, even if its in small amounts so they can't notice the difference. There are plenty of foods that are high in iron so if cereal is just not an option, try finding a snack that has high iron content and giving it to them daily. I know your frustration, but remember that our bodies know and crave what they need, so if they start getting low on iron then they will start to eat the cereal simply bc their body will know that its necessary. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Harri4sl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 AM

jameskl78 has posted more than 400 great deals!jameskl78 has posted more than 400 great deals!jameskl78 has posted more than 400 great deals!jameskl78 has posted more than 400 great deals!jameskl78 has posted more than 400 great deals!
hmm. They will be 8 months on 9/17...I also dont remember my older kids eating baby food...but that was 11 yrs ago.. iDid ur babiees eat the ceral?? My babies had to take it with formula early due to acid reflux..so Im also wondering if they just didnt like the texture...but I switched from gerber to beechnut and they still wont eat it. How early did you guys start them on table food.?..they r bottle fed...Thanks for the input
Old 08-28-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri4sl View Post
My DD had some serious texture issues and we had a hard time going from formula to any solid foods. I would suggest trying to mix the cereal thicker or thinner, and getting creative by throwing in some yogurt our something mixable that the kids will eat, even if its in small amounts so they can't notice the difference. There are plenty of foods that are high in iron so if cereal is just not an option, try finding a snack that has high iron content and giving it to them daily. I know your frustration, but remember that our bodies know and crave what they need, so if they start getting low on iron then they will start to eat the cereal simply bc their body will know that its necessary. Good luck!
Very True!
The Following User Says Thank You to jameskl78 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2011, 10:41 AM

Missing my Sugar Girl. RIP 12/29/13

My Mood/Status:
momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
My daughter is 10 months, i tried rice cereal at 6 months for the first time, she was not having it at all, she was breastfed then. Now, I do her purees (breakfast, lunch, dinner) but I also offer her pieces of most things we eat, any fruits, veggies, waffles, pancakes, cereal, etc. just give it to her in small pieces. She does fine with it and would much rather have our food then baby food. I just still give baby food because (according to dr) she is "underweight" and I want to make sure she is getting enough calories. She is on formula now too.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susuz View Post
Will they eat cheerios or other cereal like that? Do they like table food that is high in iron? I wouldn't be concerned with the cereal issue, it may be a texture thing right now. Don't force the issue and try again in a couple of weeks. Good luck!
We havent gotten that far yet. I think we may have a few more months for cherrios..Ive tried giving them egg yolks and baby meat..I ended up wearing them both..
Old 08-28-2011, 12:41 PM

Hopefull 2012 will be a Great Year!

My Mood/Status:
Runningincirclesx3 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Runningincirclesx3 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Runningincirclesx3 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Runningincirclesx3 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Runningincirclesx3 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Runningincirclesx3 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
we started table food with all 3 of mine right at 6 even though they didnt have any teeth i would just cut it up really small pieces, i wouldnt push eating food with them, since they are getting bottles there forumla has iron in it, on and the baby cereal is just empty carolies(sp) and has no real nurtional vaule.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:55 PM

Thank you all..This thread was very interesting and helpful it makes me feel a lot better..I have no clue why I assumed the would be under nourished without cereal..They eat well (bottlewise) and they r not underweight even for having been preemies..It just seems cereal is pushed so much even on websites..they make it seem as if without it babies wont thrive. ..and apparently they r doing well on the table food because my dh says they cant get enough..so I will break down and try small pieces of what we eat if that works then I'll try small peices of meat..ill update and let u all know how it goes..TY
Old 11-06-2011, 07:34 AM

OP has been updated