Car Seat Help.....

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Goonies NEVER say die!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Baby Car Seat help.....

So I understand that the best car seat is the one that fits safely in "your" car and is used properly... I get that BUT.....

We are getting ready to forward face our son and would love any advise and / or experiences with car seats that you recommend or DONT recommend.

Ive also heard about the new laws in some states that are requiring children up to 2 years to remain rear facing. So far our state (TN) has not changed the law - so at one year we are planning on forward facing.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 05:40 PM

RE: Car Seat help.....

happy
Mother of Bradley and Wife of Jonathan

My Mood/Status:
laurley25 has posted more than 200 great deals!laurley25 has posted more than 200 great deals!laurley25 has posted more than 200 great deals!
! we have the first years true fit.... we love it! it gets very good ratings also

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Laura
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loving wife to Jonathan 10/7/06
and Mother to Bradley 5/2/08
and Caden 2/15/11
The Following User Says Thank You to laurley25 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2011, 05:53 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Missing my Sugar Girl. RIP 12/29/13

My Mood/Status:
momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!momtoaprincess has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have a Britax Marathon for my 3 yr old daughter, its the FF seat we bought we she turned 1 and we love it. I plan on buying another one for my second daughter soon. They have excellent ratings!

ETA: I have a Mazda 6 and it fits fine behind my seats, it is a reversable carset but she never used it for rear facing, only forward. And like sar1 said below, Britax makes many different "stages" I guess you could say that all have different weight/ height limits. I think it starts with the Roundabout, then the Marathon, and there is also a Boulevard, and I believe there is a forth one, and they widely vary in prices, I believe the Roundabout starts at $150ish and the Boulevards cost upward of $300 I believe. Check out the Britax website! And you can often find retired patterns on closeouts on many websites.

Last edited by momtoaprincess; 06-19-2011 at 06:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to momtoaprincess For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2011, 06:00 PM

:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
What kind of car do you drive? I ask b/c we have a Britax Roundabout and used it rear-facing for a short time in the back of our Accord. It was a TIGHT squeeze when we had the carseat in the reclined position. She had to go in the middle of the car b/c it wouldn't fit behind driver or passenger seats very well. Since the backseat of the Accord slants we almost had to use the recline position on the carseat so that she wasn't sitting too straight up. Does that make sense? It gets great reviews and now that she's front-facing we really do like it. The Britax Marathon is similar but goes to a higher weight limit and is a little pricier. We didn't go that route b/c DD's not a big kid and we figured by the time she was that heavy we'd be looking at a Booster w/harness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2011, 02:47 PM

Goonies NEVER say die!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bigshirley has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
That makes total sense. I have an acura TL - not the largest back seat - but not compact either. We plan on another kid (hopefully) so I need on that will fit behind passenger and drive seat - but we will only use it forward facing. We have a Chicco now that was his infant seat.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 PM

RebeccioCrackalakin has posted more than 5 good deals
We love the Britax marathon too. Actually I love all the Britax line. They do tend to be a little big though. My sister in law has a little car and she fits three sunshine radians in the back seat with no trouble. Keep in mind as you turn the baby to forward facing, It is easier to fix a broken leg than a broken neck. Rear facing offers more protection to babies head neck and spine in spite of squashing their little legs. God forbid you ever were in an accident, you would be glad that you left the baby rear facing. Besides car seats like the marathon can turn around so it won't cost you a dime to keep baby safe.

Sent from my iPad using AFullCup
Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 AM

Super Savings Momma!

My Mood/Status:
MLPaint has posted more than 200 great deals!MLPaint has posted more than 200 great deals!MLPaint has posted more than 200 great deals!
I agree with the pp about keeping the baby rear facing a bit longer. The APA recommends 2 years on rear facing. They say that if you were in a serious accident a child who is FF has a 75% increased chance of serious neck injuries.
We use the safety first Air and love it. It fit easily in my old car (2 door cavalier) and It's slim so we could easily fit a seat in the middle if needed and it rear faces up to 35 lbs. To each their own though. I'm not trying to preach at ya on RF but i was in the same boat you are now when I learned the safety issues with FF before 2 or even 3.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:01 AM

My Mood/Status:
lilrdmandy has posted more than 200 great deals!lilrdmandy has posted more than 200 great deals!lilrdmandy has posted more than 200 great deals!
I also use Britax and love them, they are very highly rated and I love that my son can comfortably fall asleep in it, unlike some other carseats I've seen. The straps and buckles are of better quality than some other carseats I've seen too, and the entire cover, straps and all can be washed. We turned our son around at 1 too but I wish I would have kept him RF longer, we definitely will be keeping #2 RF longer. I have a toyota camry and the britax marathon carseat. It fit rearfacing behind the passenger side, but it was tight and we prefer to have him in the middle for safety reasons. In the middle the seat fits better too.

No matter what seat you get, make sure its properly installed. Once its buckled, make sure you lock the seatbelt by pulling it all the way out so you can hear it clicking as it goes back in. Then you should put your weight in the carseat and make the belt as tight as it goes so the carseat is rock solid in the car and can't be moved at all. If your car has the latch system, also make sure that is super tight.

Here are 2 sites that have some great info:
AAP Updates Recommendation on Car Seats

HealthyChildren.org - Car Safety Seats: Information for Families for 2011
Old 07-08-2011, 02:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
cbandlow has posted more than 10 good deals
one thing that the sights do not say is that most of the stats are from you rear ending someone... not you getting rear ended. My friend LOST her baby because she was rear ended.. her baby was 13months. The hospital asked why she didnt FF her baby.. stating if she had been FF she would have been supported...and more then likely lived. They way they are protcting the neck from snaping when YOU rear someone so when someone rear ends you its total opposite
Old 07-08-2011, 02:44 PM

GOONIES!
When it rains, it pours...

My Mood/Status:
Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Whatever seat you choose, make sure you call your local fire department to see if they have a certified car seat installer that can make sure you get it installed correctly. If they do not have a certified installer, call your nearest hospital and they will be able to tell you where to take it.

My DH has been an installer as a firefighter for 3 years now and he tells me all the time how many people are riding around with their car seats in incorrectly!!
(7), DS
(4), an 11yo
and a 6yo

Totally OCD. Luckily my DH is building me new stockpile shelves so I can more easily rearrange and reorganize my goodies!
The Following User Says Thank You to Z and G's Mom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 03:36 PM

:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
BTW - we just bought a Britax Frontier for our 3 1/2 year old for DH's car. It's the kind that goes from a 5-pt harness to a high back booster. We took a long car trip over the holiday weekend and that was her first time using it and her head was completely slumped forward when she fell asleep. It looked so uncomfortable and she didn't sleep well. For that reason I'm not very happy with it, but all of the carseats of that type looked like church pews w/almost no recline. :-(
Old 07-09-2011, 05:27 AM

Super Savings Momma!

My Mood/Status:
MLPaint has posted more than 200 great deals!MLPaint has posted more than 200 great deals!MLPaint has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbandlow
one thing that the sights do not say is that most of the stats are from you rear ending someone... not you getting rear ended. My friend LOST her baby because she was rear ended.. her baby was 13months. The hospital asked why she didnt FF her baby.. stating if she had been FF she would have been supported...and more then likely lived. They way they are protcting the neck from snaping when YOU rear someone so when someone rear ends you its total opposite
I am terribly sorry for your friends loss. I couldn't even imagine!
However I will debate the rear ending scenario. While a child is properly RF when impact is made either front or back the child's body will take the impact evenly because of how the seat is tilted. If the car is hit head on the child will slide down in the seat, rear end the child will slide up. This is different from FF because only the upper body takes the momentum if FF. If hit head on the head will snap forward and then back, if rear ended it will snap back and then forward.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:57 PM

loves AFC!

My Mood/Status:
DiannC has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DiannC has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DiannC has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DiannC has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DiannC has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DiannC has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DiannC has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DiannC has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DiannC has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DiannC has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z and G's Mom View Post
Whatever seat you choose, make sure you call your local fire department to see if they have a certified car seat installer that can make sure you get it installed correctly. If they do not have a certified installer, call your nearest hospital and they will be able to tell you where to take it.

My DH has been an installer as a firefighter for 3 years now and he tells me all the time how many people are riding around with their car seats in incorrectly!!

This is worth repeating.

I was shocked and appalled that I had been driving around with improperly installed carseats. I was putting not only my daughter, but the child I babysit in danger.
I even read the manual and everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiannC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2011, 12:57 PM

Grounded for Life

richa84 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!richa84 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!richa84 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!richa84 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!richa84 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!richa84 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!richa84 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!richa84 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!richa84 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!richa84 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!richa84 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
i want model number of good Britax car seat for NB...........