My Oldest Is Starting Orthodontics! Help!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2005, 09:04 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Grounded for Life

Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
My oldest is starting orthodontics! Help!

Hi,
Oldest ds starts phase 1 of orthodontics today. They have recommended a rapid paletal expander and brackets on the front 4 teeth. They said it would only take a little over a month for this part than a retainer for a year and then who knows in phase 2. I am REALLY nervous about all this since I (ages ago) wore a retainer to separate my jaw and then braces for 3 years. It just seems so fast for him and that expander is hideous looking! It looks like a mini torture chamber. I have read all the info all over the net but I guess I just need some real life thoughts from parents who have been through it!
Thanks!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 08:54 PM

RE: My oldest is starting orthodontics! Help!

Loves her friends :)
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My own children have not had this, but, DD's best friend is 17 and just now going through a process similar to this. They also removed all her wisdom teeth at the same time last week, and broke the roof of her mouth, so they could stretch it (her mouth is too small)...now she is in process of being prepped for the "mini torture device"....I am assuming these are good things...But..it seems kind of scary.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:03 PM

militarymom107 has posted more than 100 good deals!militarymom107 has posted more than 100 good deals!
i infortuantly beged my parents when i was younger not to get that done really bad move! i know it looks horrid however becuase i never got it done I had to get the 4 teeth removed before puting on the braces, 3 years of that and i was to always where the retainer i didn't, my wisdome teeth grew in needed them pulled ( wasn't enough room in my mouth) then they came in again so the pulled 4 more. if i would have just had it done in the first place i could have saved 8 teeth at least. and becuase the teeth grew in as far as they did before they were pulled it gave me an slight overbite even after all that time in braces. i know you are worried however don't let ds talk you out of it! it really will benifit ds in the long run!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:38 PM

My Mood/Status:
ashambmom89 has posted more than 300 great deals!ashambmom89 has posted more than 300 great deals!ashambmom89 has posted more than 300 great deals!ashambmom89 has posted more than 300 great deals!
its the best thing you can do for him

My daughters both had this, Braces will straighten but the device you a talking about makes such a big difference, it was the best decision I ever made for my daughters. It looks alot worse than it is, I did not get many complaints for my girls. It will be a little sore at first but it won't be long. The younger you can do this the better. We started at 8 with one daughter and at 10 with the other. They have the most beautiful smiles now, and did not have to have any teeth pulled. Be very carefull about making him brush for longer with the braces or he will end up with stains and still get his teeth cleaned but instead of 6 months do it every 3 months to prevent cavities.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:42 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
My daughter is in an early phase of braces.

She got them a few days before her 8th birthday. Her front teeth had a wide gap between them and they protruded out, not down.

I was told that they rarely do braces so early but she was an extreme case and that the angle of the teeth was dangerous (a bump at a waterfountain could cause serious damage.

She has braces on the front 4 and in a little over a month the gap was gone and they are working on the angle now!

But her's look cute so she must not have the same thing. They said she would have braces for 10 months, retainer for a year then full braces when kids normally get then.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:15 PM

Grounded for Life

Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Thanks so much for all the replies. He went in for spacers yesterday, next week he gets fitted for the expander and then the week after that he is getting it all installed--the expander and the braces across the front four teeth. I feel alot better about it now but boy was I freaking out!
Old 03-03-2005, 03:54 PM

Gone crazy, be back later

ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!
Ok, KM - OUCH!!!!!! That sounds awful!